CSR149: Take Me Away (Complete)

Um, I think he’s talking about HIS experience.

1 Like
ClassicCarAndy(dot)com

Model Year 1981
Engine 3498 OHC-24 Inline 6
Placement Longi Front
Power 259hp @ 6900 rpm
Torque 226 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm
Redline 7400 rpm
Drivetrain 5-speed manual AWD
Brakes vented disc front and rear
Suspension Double Wishbone front and rear
Dimentions 2.64m / 4.62m / 1.82m
Acceleration 0-60 mph in 5.47s
Top Speed 151 mph
Skidpad 1.09 g / 1.09g

Here at ClassicCarAndy(dot)com we offer only la crème de la crème - the very best. We swear.

Feast your eyes on the Aeron - it came out in 1981 on the heels of the BMW M1 and Audi Quattro. Régal has never been known as a hardcore racing brand at that time, but they did compete multiple times before. However, they were especially successful after buying out the north american brand Angus and their performance racing brand - Octane.

Here, the whole body was designed in house at Régal by Jean-Pierre Duvalier. The striking appearance and the popup headlights might hint at a rear or mid drive, but the engine is actually at the front and is powering an all-wheel drivetrain, a first for Régal.

What we have sourced here is one of the few homologation model that were RHD. Only 300 were made in 1981 after an initial prototype in 1980 and only a handful were ordered RHD. The 3500 SuperSport is powered by a, you guessed it, 3.5L inline 6 built by Octane. The homologation did not have turbo available stock, but the racing turbo 3000 engine could be swapped in - it is not the case here, the aspirated engine is still stock. Still, with around 260hp it is a 24-valve beast with a 7,400 rpm redline.

Surprisingly comfortable, the interior is all original, although the seats were reupholstered about 15 years ago. The premium 8-track is in and in working condition if you still have some lying around.

The rear boot is pretty large and usable, able to fit a full set of tires - although drivable in winter with good tires and its AWD system, we do not believe it ever was.

With supercar performance, a memorable look, and a great forgiving driving experience, the bet paid of for Régal back then - all homologation 301 cars were sold like hot cakes, it received rave reviews and the racing edition went on to be relatively successful on the track and start an impressive racing predigre. The Aeron later got into Group B and even got its own Pike Peak and Le Mans editions made. That was truly the start of the Octane-Régal performance partnership.

As far as we know, it was always driven exclusively on track since 1989. The history was murky before that as it was reported lost for a few years before resurfacing in Germany after the fall of the wall. It now has 48 000 miles on it.

It is a bargain at this price, and was repainted in color similar to its original Octane Royal Scarlet paint, although we are not 100% sure if it is original or not - it seems pretty close.

Call our expert salesmen and get this historic car today!

Moar Pics

ClassicCarAndy(dot)com
020 5555 5555 (London offices)

12 Likes

Interiors are, for me, a real challenge. However, try to build one from time to time and grow the skill. Use the “duplicate and replace” technique and it helps to put the camera in free view, while also frequently changing the axis to world mode. And don’t forget to hide the body or at least change the windows to be full transparent while building the interior. Focus on the big items like carpet, seats, door cards, etc and then slowly work your way through. Always duplicating and replacing to save time. (assuming the parts you want are in the same family.)

You probably started the game before this really nasty bug made interiors and to some degrees exterior details really tough…it used to be that the undo button would do horrible reset damage which could not be recovered easily. So this is a new era tbh. Also, making a clone of an otherwise done car and adding interior is smart, lest you want to scrap stuff and start again. And don’t forget to lock parts when you are 100% sure to not need them, lest you pick the wrong part while hanging out inside the car with free-look.

1 Like

1 Like

10.9 comfort? That’s not going to go down well with Chad, especially since comfort is a key criterion in this challenge. It’s the first time I’ve seen anyone use the '95 AP1/AP2 S2000 body for a CSR149 entry, though.

1 Like

1999 Turból Centurion CS 5.0

Details

1997 saw the introduction of the 6th gen Turból Centurion after just 2 years of the 5th gen. The 5th gen, based on the c400, proved unpopular, due to polarizing looks, excess weight, and a decreasing demand for large executive coupes. The 6th gen looked to bring the Centurion back to its roots with a smaller, sportier, more affordable model aimed at younger buyers.

However, nothing about the 6th gen Centurion was actually all new. Based on the freshly facelifted '96 Turból j400 and Homura GT/ST platofrm, the '97 Centurion would make minor changes to the 2 door body, previously specific to Homura, and would serve as Turból’s entry level model, slightly decontented compared to j400 sedans. Under the hood, nothing all-new either: the base carryover straight 4 engine from the j400, plus a unique high performance option: the latest iteration of the “Amber” small block V8. Turból’s focus on technology had seen them leave behind pushrod engines in the 1980s, but when looking to cut cost in this model, the classic motor, still in use in Boulder Trucks among other members of the Turból umbrella, was deemed the most cost effective way to reach the desired performance targets. With a slightly more aggressive tune, the engine produced 292 hp @ 5500 rpm in this application.

This example is a 1999 CS 5.0. Powered by the aforementioned small block V8, the CS was the sportiest trim level in the range, with a lower, wider stance, REVOCS dampers, a more aggressive rear axle ratio, an aggressive body kit with a rear wing, and wide, high-performance tires on 17" wheels.

15 Likes

I can see you guys have chosen to send in cool and expensive cars. That’s a shitty plan. So what I have here, is a mediocre car with low price!

What's lore?

Why send in a “proper” sports car, when you can send fun and cheap thing!

There is literally no lore. It’s the first generation, sold only in Europe. The car aimed towards younger buyers, the base model came with 1.4L I4 and low price.

The 1.8L model offered sub 9 second 0-100 km/h time, 5-speed manual and traction control. It even seats 5!

Now! If you got your girlfriend pregnant at 17 and your dad insisted on buying a safe, brand new car, wagon version was offered too!

Sure it only had 3 doors, but it’s cool! And rear wheel drive!

8 Likes

Entries are now officially closed!

Those who have entered are (If you don’t see your name but have posted on thread, you may have not sent me a file in DM):
@nightwave
@desperatedonut5
@abg7
@Executive
@BannedByAndroid
@Lanson
@DuceTheTruth100
@GassTiresandOil
@Ch_Flash
@inf2
@Est_Nbmstr
@Speeeed_D3m0n
@Xepy
@Knugcab
@Petakabras
@Riley
@EnCR
@Portalkat42
@HybridTronny
@Tsundere-kun
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@Caligari
@Maverick74
@ChemaTheMexican
@AndiD
@Falling_Comet
@ldub0775
@mart1n2005
@LS_Swapped_Rx-7
@Ludvig
@Texaslav
@karhgath
@donutsnail
@Hilbert
@captin_stiffie
@lotto77
@oppositelock

I’ll proceed to log the data of entries into a spreadsheet and begin typing up preliminaries & bins once that’s all done. I might take a while doing this, cause man it’s a lot of data, I’m used to less than 12 entries usually!

19 Likes

36 cars is a lot for anyone to process, but I’m sure you’ll get it done. That’s still far from the largest field for a CSR, though.

1 Like

FOR SALE: 1971 Planar Astraea EX-S $16,400 ONO

Gallery

Odometer: 36,084 miles
Body Type: Sports
Engine: 3.8L flat 6
Transmission: Manual, 5spd
Drivetrain: RWD
MOT: Exempt (historic)

EXCELLENT VALUE COLLECTOR'S CAR!

Regretfully selling my Planar Astraea EX-S after many years of faithful Sunday driving. Guaranteed to turn heads, this Antipodean angel is a relative unknown outside of the colonies, and presents an excellent start to a classic car collection that is guaranteed to only rise in value.

This example is the desirable EX-S sports version, in its signature black and white with red stripes colour scheme. Car is mostly original, with expected maintenance items like bulbs and fluids all recently gone over. The only aftermarket item is a head unit, although the original 8-track unit will be supplied when purchased.

A summary of the car, for those that are unaware of it.

This Australian sports great was part of a skunkworks project to give Planar a more sporty image, as their only other offerings at the time were family sedans with sporty options. Using engines and a modified chassis from their large luxury sedan, the Astraea was marketed as an “entry level” luxury sportscar, with the EX-S sitting as the most powerful and most engaging trim of it. Released to much acclaim in its homeland, the Astraea never saw much recognition outside of Australia as it was never exported in large numbers. Luckily though parts aren’t too difficult to find these days thanks to the commonality in its mechanicals.

Thanks to its flat 6 that makes 175kW and its relatively low weight of only 1,132kg, it could accelerate to 60 in only 6.5 seconds, and would go onto a top speed of 146.

Selling for $16,400, no trades accepted but legitimate offers will be considered. NO TYRE KICKERS OR LOWBALLERS.

Bweh trying to finish a car in a few days after you started it then got sick isn't a fun experience.
8 Likes

You’re using that new data extract tool to save time, right? That lifesaver somewhat short-circuited my idea of a stat tracker

Yeah, I’m using the CSV export tool, but I am also jotting down external data such as aesthetics, realism & lore, presentation, interior, and yearly costs too. As well as side-notes before I get into making the preliminary posting! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Absolutely, it’s always more than just the stats, completely agree. Happy running!

Judging Round 1: Bins :wastebasket:

@Ch_Flash - Veloce Canneloni GTA 1973

Reasons for bin: Uses 91 octane fuel when the rules stated the available fuels were Unleaded 95/98 or leaded 92/98.

@Petakabras - SAETA Montaraz S 1977

Reasons for bin: Uses 91 octane fuel when the rules stated the available fuels were Unleaded 95/98 or leaded 92/98.

@captin_stiffie - Snakebite 2000

Reasons for bin: Over the sound limit + no muffler usage + race exhaust headers + piston and conrods are causing damage beyond rpm limit & really questionable engineering, lots of min-maxing with ups and downs all over the place

@Caligari - Osprey GTS 4.0 1993

Reasons for bin: No rear foglight + ludicrous stagger of 155 F to 225 R, single point injection in 1994 on such a high priced car seems wrong. Standard springs with adaptive damping seems really questionable

@Hilbert - Asagao Skube 1992

Reasons for bin: Literally the brief went over this designs roof and would have gotten nowhere, anyway you sent me in DM signifying it’s a 3 door hatchback so that’s a straight bin since rules said Chad wanted a 2dr coupe specifically. (It wouldn’t have gone anywhere anyway, what would Chad want a family hatchback for)

@Speeeed_D3m0n - Ebasu Aurum Sky 1992

Reasons for bin: Conflicting username used on file entry to discource username

@HelloHi - Flaner Aurore 1992

Reasons for bin:

That’s all for now, leaving the other 31 submissions that made it through.

That is a lot of submissions to go through, I’d prefer not to rush the review process, though I will stick with the plan in mind of per-decade review after bins, then move the favourites on and give them a bit more judging with Chad in mind, before finally the last round with the results.

Meaning those through to the next round are:

1970s:

@GassTiresandOil
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@AndiD
@lotto77
@Ludvig

1980s:

@inf2
@Xepy
@Maverick74
@karhgath
@oppositelock
@ChemaTheMexican
@BannedByAndroid
@desperatedonut5
@DuceTheTruth100
@HybridTronny

1990s:

@Knugcab
@Falling_Comet
@ldub0775
@abg7
@Lanson
@Texaslav
@Executive
@Portalkat42
@nightwave
@Riley
@Tsundere-kun
@EnCR
@LS_Swapped_Rx-7
@mart1n2005
@donutsnail

2000s: (I will just put Est_Nbmstr into the 1990s section to avoid an entire 2000s lot with just them, lol)

@Est_Nbmstr

20 Likes

Fair play. I’ll figure out how to make a proper sports car out of that monstrosity some day. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck to all those who made it through!

1 Like

Ooops… my mistake I forgot to change the fuel. :blush:. Good luck to everyone still in the challange :smiley:

1 Like

I clearly did made several mistakes which rightfully binned me. Good luck to those still in the running! I am curious about the min/max tho as i thought my use of quality sliders was reasonable?

2 Likes

minmax isnt necessarily restricted to quality sliders, and choosing unrealistic options can count as well

Just a note about cars in general, adaptive shocks with standard springs is a “normal” thing. My 91 Mkiii Supra had them (T.E.M.S.) I think they were dubbed, as does a few other sporty and/or lux cars from the era. The Vettes “mag-ride” shock option was more along the line of what Adaptive shocks mean (I believe, the lines are fuzzy), I suppose you could view those two examples of adaptive suspension in general, though they executed differently.

Idk if the transverse leaf spring in a Vette could even be called “standard” those things were born out of necessity.

1 Like

I am willing to die on this hill, if you can enter from the hatch, it’s a hatchback/liftback. These cars were in inspirations.

This got long I'll hide it here.

All of the cars above might have charasterics from proper coupes, but that won’t change the fact that they have 3 doors.

A coupe has 2 doors and a trunk like a sedan, this is a coupe.

You can’t change my mind on this one.

3 Likes