CSR156 - Speed Metal [DONE]

The idle RPM is the lowest RPM that you can see in the engine designer. It goes up if you increase cam profile or reduce balancing mass. Most real-life car engines have an idle RPM around 600-1000 RPM; the lowest you can go in Automation is 500.

The answer to your other question is: lowering balancing mass is okay but only to a certain point, because at some point you will go past the point where it’s realistic or reasonable in any way. Think of it this way: Have you been in many real cars? Would you see 1600 RPM on the tachometer there when you’re just standing in one place and not pressing the gas?

1 Like

Well I’ve never driven a car so I don’t know haha! how does one lower the idle RPM

1 Like

Higher balancing mass, lower camshaft profile, more cylinders.

Balancing mass is there not just for smoothness as such - which contributes to comfort - but also for reducing harmonic vibrations in the bottom end - which raises their safe RPM limit. The downside is that it lowers throttle response - which is a major component of sportiness.

Some engines can go negative on balancing mass. Obviously, a flywheel and harmonic balancer can’t weigh less than nothing, so I interpret this as minimal weight of those components, and on top of that, weight reduction from the bottom end, primarily material removed from crankshaft counterweights.

Without knowing what those components weigh to begin with, I would argue that there shouldn’t be a limit placed on what’s “reasonable” or “realistic” as far as weight reduction. Reflecting real-world practice and personal preference - I had a custom lightweight flywheel made for my last manual swap - most of my Automation engines intentionally use bare minimum balancing mass.

You see it by its results, in my opinion. It’s alright to have a light flywheel in isolation, but if your engine can’t spin below 1600 there’s a problem there. I’ve done everything from very light to very heavy in this game.

2 Likes

Results are certainly a valid benchmark. I’m not aware of any remotely normal car engines sold within the last few decades that idle even at 1000, let alone higher (except when warming up). 1500+ is race car territory.

This is how it should be.

5 Likes

I am absolutely astonished that my car is still in the challenge. Its literally USDM trash turned into a rice boiler…
Good reviews so far, let’s see what my understatement car can do.

Ngl this one hurts a bit because I thought this was one of my best designs.

On the other hand I knew my SVC was terrible

14 Likes

I feel you. Despite the accuracy of the criticisms, I still think the 200e was my best design so far. It just still sucks lol

2 Likes

I did some testing recently and found out that combining a turbocharged engine (which, by itself, will be more expensive to service than an equivalent naturally aspirated engine) with a mid-engined layout will send service costs through the roof - so I stuck with natural aspiration for my entry.

ROUND 2-1: PROUD TO BE LOUD

Great Lakes Dragaway, September 24, 4 PM

Rob: You know, I still don’t get why you were so dead set on getting here early. Isn’t 4 PM pretty much drag racing amateur hour?

John: That’s the point! Weirdos with bought cars and not much to do show up and post shitty times. We may actually find something that fits in the puddle of parsimony you call a budget. Come 7 o’clock, you’re gonna see all the pro geezers come down in their blown, eight-packed, big-blocked relics that money can’t and won’t buy, and we’ll learn nothing. I mean, I still suggest we stay, it’s a hell of a show.

Rob: Alright, you’ve made your point. Damn, look at that, they’re lining up a shopping cart against a barge!

Aurgelmir Fenrir @66mazda @DrDoomD1scord;
Globus Bravura @Happyhungryhippo

John: Well, “amateur hour” is right. The barge there is a personal luxury thing called a Fenrir. It’s in your budget, by the way.

Rob: It’s pretty. So, what’s the catch that lets “luxury” pass for 14 grand nowadays?

John: No real go-fast stuff. It’s got a V8 of some sort, but most of them don’t come with a diff worth a damn - so expect a one-tire fire when they take off.

Rob: I bet the shopping cart’s even worse on that front.

John: See, you say that… But that Bravura LC is one mean rat. Sure it’s only got a 4-pot, but it’s also got one of them fancy torque-sensor diffs, and it weighs at least 1000 pounds less than the Fenrir. I hate to rag on a V8, but five bucks says the shopping cart wins.

Rob: You’re on. That thing looks absolutely pathetic.

The two set off, and John’s predictions come true one by one: the Aurgelmir spins a wheel and ends up losing by over half a second - and the Bravura is still pulling away at the finish line.

Rob: God dammit, the barge just cost me lunch. That means I can’t have it. And I can’t have the shopping cart either, because it still looks pathetic.

(The Aurgelmir is a very well-built car, and actually ranks higher than the faster Bravura due to its combination of style, luxury and quality - however, it’s let down thoroughly by its inability to score in either the straight-line or handling sections of judging. It’s fastish and the handling is okay, and neither of those is enough. If the thing had just used a manual and a good diff, it could well have been finals-worthy.

The Globus Bravura won’t get such high praise for a very simple reason: It does a lot to not get very far. It has a premium interior - but its tiny exterior means it’s still not comfortable. It has advanced safety measures, strange to see in this class - which Rob doesn’t care about. It has the most expensive diff available - but uses medium tires and isn’t tuned hard enough to actually corner very well. The reason it’s in this section of reviews is because it’s where I put all the cars which scored better on straight-line performance than they did on handling, and the Globus does so by not handling that well rather than by actually being fast. It is pretty fast for a car of this era and certainly for a four-pot front-drive coupe, though, I’ll give it that.)

Manda Tuono Z @RAZR; Zephorus 305 @Riley

Rob: That’s a wicked-looking modded hatchback in the left lane.

John: I don’t blame you for thinking that, but it’s actually a factory build. It’s a Zephorus - rear wheel drive, and it’s got a custom small block 305 under the hood. And four on the floor.

Rob: Four? Did they just build it to be a dragster or something?

John: I mean, wouldn’t but it past them. Zephorus do weird shit at times. Wanna know something funny, though? That Manda Tuono coupe going up against it is even more out there, and more powerful. It’s a turbo five-banger, 265 horsepower on tap.

Rob: Oh, a turbo. That should be fun.

The Zephorus rockets off the starting line; the Manda… bogs, letting time slip away until the turbo mercifully spools up and enables the car to accelerate. Despite its superior power and lower weight, the turbo coupe fails to make up its bad start, coming up just short of the weird Italian car.

Rob: Well, that just happened.

John: See, that’s the problem with turbos. If you don’t dump the clutch and spin your tires like a madman, you might as well not start at all. I’d think the boost in that car comes around 1000-1500 rpms too high to make it really count. And yeah, seems like that Zephorus was made for draggin’, alright.

Rob: Yep. You know, I’d even consider that thing, if not for how ridiculously blown-up it looks - that, and the rust patch on the left rocker. Thing’s supposed to be new or something.

(The Manda Tuono is just not a very well-made car. It looks fine, evoking an aero styling direction perhaps fit for something slightly newer; it’s in the driving that it falters. First off, as the review says, it is boggy: With a hugely laggy turbo that’s something like a whole inch too large, plus a high cam setting, it provides hardly any acceleration in first gear - thus its 0-60 and quarter mile suffer severely. Despite being the second-most powerful car left in Round 2, it’s only the 8th fastest in the quarter. And in addition, it’s among the least comfortable cars - and the least reliable in this round.

The Zephorus 305 is a better-engineered machine, but still flawed - and hardly realistic. Here we have a liftback hatch with a 305 shoehorned into it - with ITBs on top, to boot. I looked at that and was all: what’s wrong with a 350 with a less complicated throttle setup? It’d be cheaper. That aside: 4 gears, an ungalvy’d chassis, a soft and unsporty suspension, no economy, a maxed price point - all contribute to its chopping-down. And then there’s the looks: striking, to a point, but the front is seriously uninspired. As an aside, this is the most straight-line-focused car left in the challenge when it comes to the scoring.)

Condor Taipan GT @Fantic2000;
Mercer Scorpion R/X @LS_Swapped_Rx-7

Rob: Ooh, now this is a lot more like it. Those are both proper muscle, right?

John: Just about. Both have fuel-injected pushrod V8s with more than 5 liters of go, both with five on the floor. Lotta power thrown around.

Rob: The one in the right lane’s all Tron-looking, and the T-tops are neat; but the color’s a no. Then there’s the Mercer on the left, can’t go wrong with that. It’s all aero but still as mean and stubby as ever.

John: I know the dirt on the both of these cars, and they’re verrrry evenly matched. The Condor is the lighter of the two, and supposedly a bit more simple to handle. The Mercer recently got actual, proper injection, though, whereas the Condor is stuck with a single-pointer. Eats like one, too - though on the plus side, it’s got an independent rear end.

The two muscle cars blast off, and one would be forgiven for thinking they’re all synced up as they go down to the end. Each shift is a change in leadership, with the car that’s shifted having to make up time. By the end, it’s the Mercer that ends up around 50ms ahead.

Rob: Damn, now that’s what I call a performance!And just look at ol’ Johnny-boy, predicting the dead heat like that.

John: Well, it only made sense. There’s your choice of classic pony car: The one that’s slightly more sound - that’s the Mercer - and the one that leans into the muscle schtick a little harder.

Rob: Well, the Mercer did just win, so I think we have an answer here.

(I was very pleasantly surprised by the Condor’s strong showing here. Properly tuned - if low-revving - engine, mostly wise techpool and parts allocation, the works. It sits right at the cusp of finals-worthy cars. Its greatest failure is the existence of the Mercer - a machine that fills the exact same niche but does so a little bit better, which I will elaborate on a bit later. That aside, a smattering of minor issues bring down the Condor’s impression as a quality build: an overdamped rear end, zero attempts to mind the fuel economy, and a wall of negative quality on basically every component seen as less than crucial - meaning the car ends up with a -5q top end, and -2q on aero - which is how the Mercer eventually (literally and figuratively) pulls away from it.

Then there’s the Mercer, which is a Mustang. Let’s face it. That said, it’s a pretty one, and pretty fast as well, with the 5.2 V8 out-punching the Condor’s due to a higher rev limit and MPFI. It’s decently well-tuned and ultimately beats out the Condor in handling, thought it pays with worse drivability. If I were to level complaints against it, I’d note the half-assed rear bumper - and also the gearbox, which is close-ratio with a short final drive. Within this challenge’s framework, that means it’s both slower than it could be and doesn’t get as much fuel economy as it could, even of the port injection does mean it’s an improvement on the Condor nonetheless. People, fear not raising the redline up a bit to get more out of your gearing, I beg of you. Either way, this car makes it to the finals.)

Matsumoto Judan TA6 @TanksAreTryhards;
Norðwagen Nightslayer @moroza

Rob: Man, there’s been nothing interesting since the Mercer and Condor. Buncha ricers and nothing else. This next one looks like an actual sportscar, and… what on Earth is that!?

John: I knew you’d ask. That there is a Nightslayer… Edgy, right? But it’s also probably the fastest thing here that still has a warranty. I don’t know what possessed Norðwagen to stroke a small-block V8 out to 407ci and stuff it in a stripped out 2-seater coupe, but… that’s what they did. It’s been the ready-made dragster of choice for anybody who doesn’t want to customize a car for themselves.

Rob: Could I afford this thing? It looks way too gaudy. It’s like somebody tried to make a car for Ozzy Osbourne.

John: Well, they made it out of whatever they had on hand. You could probably spec one right at 14 grand. Iron heads, stick axle - though apparently the leather gets optioned for cheap.

Rob: How about that other car?

John: It’s a Matsumoto of some sort. Probably pretty fast, but I don’t know much about them so I don’t know what to expect from it.

The two cars set off, scurrying off the line quicker than anything else that day. Astonishingly, though, the unassuming green Japanese coupe seems the quicker off the line. And while the loud-and-proud Nightslayer begins to gain towards the end of the straight, the Matsumoto is still ahead as both cross the line. The times are both in the 13-second range - for context, the last 2 runs were low-to-mid 14s, and the ‘amateur’ faceoff between the Fenrir and Bravura was in the 15s.

John: Well, I definitely didn’t expect that. Was the guy in the Nightslayer short-shifting?

Rob: Nah, I heard a rev bang, too. I think it’s just capped too early. And those gears were long, too! Dude was still in third when they crossed.

John: Still, you gotta appreciate the way that Matsumoto thing flew. They actually have a pretty strong rep for livability and handling, too.

Rob: Yep… Definitely something to check out.

John: And the Nightslayer?

Rob: Nah, I don’t think so. It does look pretty cool, but it seems to be a total toy. And, I mean, is there anything less satisfying that an engine that doesn’t let you rag it out?

(The Matsumoto Judan is… Well, to put it simply, the fastest car left in Round 2. Light enough that the 230hp boxer-6 doesn’t run out of juice before its job is done, it’s also got one of the best handling scores in the power-car category - beaten only by the do-it-all Mercer and its vanquished rival here, the Nightslayer. It also comes with good reliability and costs, being fairly efficient, cheaper to service than most other cars in the power category, and having a whole 100 dollars of budget left over. A finals-worthy deal, even if the looks aren’t that striking.

The Nightslayer is the second-highest performer here overall, and fifth-highest in Round 2 including the handling-type cars. It looks very cool, if not at all realistically 80s, and I personally think credit is due for converting the C4 body into this low-slung musclebeast. However, even setting aside the realism concerns of a $14,000 solid-axle car with a 407ci truck engine under the hood, certain things keep it down. The price is the maximum permitted, the environmental resistance is very so-so, the service costs are relatively tall, it’s difficult to drive - and wagonbacked though it may be, it’s still a 2-seater, hurting practicality. Finally, there’s the engine - which is ridiculously undersquare for a V8 in a performance car, forcing an unenviable 5000 RPM redline with its cast components - which, in combination with the tall and wide gearing, leads to the rev-bang-shortshift that the characters were talking about. It might be an admirable effort and a great feat of modeling, but its journey ends here.)

John: I’ll be honest, if I had the money I’d buy something like that and then put a forged bottom end in - and a new cam. Just imagine that engine if it could get up to 6500 RPM or thereabouts… The road not taken.

Rob: Still, this is pretty productive. I already have two candidates to think about.

*The duo stayed at the Dragaway until late, watching the geezers that John forecasted run 10-second times in their ludicrous tricked-out ride. It was a wicked sight - and a deafening sound that Rob would, as it turns out, spend years trying to replicate with his throat.

FINALISTS FROM ROUND 2-1:

@LS_Swapped_Rx-7
@TanksAreTryhards

18 Likes

Copying the Mustang of the time I guess didn’t work out, hatch and 4 on the floor, with a chevvy LB9 (85-92) engine. It has all those things listed as “unrealistic” so I won’t complain but I will say that fairly big brands had them. Cool review, cool way of doing it. Good luck to the rest of the participants!

2 Likes

We’ve worked out most of this on Discord, but just to clarify: I am listing the 4-speed as a drawback, not as something unrealistic, along with stuff like the unprotected chassis. That said, 4-speed manuals on the Mustang GT disappeared early in its run, persisting only on 4cyl models through '86.

And come on, we both know full well that a 5-door liftback and a 3-door almost-coupe are different animals :wink:

4 Likes

Awww fishsticks… 's what I get for bothering with fuel economy while restricting myself to what I thought would be well within your mechanical realism comfort zone. Otherwise I’d’ve pulled a big flat six and AWD, with likely a different outcome.

Stripped-out toy? With a premium interior?

As for price, to blame is mostly the CD player. Who else had one?

Defining the styling realism borders for me was stuff like this…

1987 Stutz Blackhawk

1982 Excalibur

4 Likes

in the '80s? in america? i doubt if anyone has one.

2 Likes

CD players in 1987 were very new, and not a realistic option for most cars back then.

I think the 1987 Town Car was the first car to offer one, so yes, very new.

My oh my, i got into the finals this time! The boxer 6 in front turned out to be a pretty fricking good deal for weight distribution, and going back to basics with the engineering helped too…but i didn’t expect beating a 407 c.i.d. demon from hell in a drag race! Thanks for the ispiration for the engine, mr Subaru…

Now the question is: how much will my boomer taste in car aesthetics screw me up for the next round? I think my car is still quite the looker, but i might have overlooked how much “eye-catch” is important for a 20-year-old rockstar…

2 Likes

My first “published” V8 in a long line of flat-sixes smirks ironically and tips its hat sincerely to your Matsumoto. See you on the Wangan Expressway in JOC4, perhaps?

As a fellow boxer enjoyer, i pay my respects to your Nightslayer, it’s honestly a very cool and well done retro design that deserves a lot of praise!

We’ll see if I’ll find the time to put in an effort towards JOC4 as i’m kinda busy rn, but if i’ll find the time, we will surely meet on the Wangan.