CSR161 - With an Attitude [DONE]

I would say that it depends a bit on where the car was made too. American and Japanese cars generally stuck to it a bit longer than European ones.

Being the first challenge I send, I think it’s quite normal ending in last place. I am not that good in making cars, expecially if we talk about sedans. I took a small engine thinking it was actually quite normal for a sedan to have that engine (I am european and we got quite small engines in cars).
If anyone could help me improving the design of my car it would be nice.
Btw I inspired from the Chevy Impala for the design and took inspiration from a Lexus SC for the specs.

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting to get anything crazy from this, but it’s definitely nice to know where to start on improving for future challenges

It’s been nearly two weeks since the first round of cuts has been announced - I’ll happily wait a few more days for the next one given the high standards of the hosts’ writing.

1 Like

I second the bit about at least Tex’ writing (can’t recall if I’ve read anything by maxbombe) and that it’s worth waiting for. Regardless, it’s the end of a semester and I’ve seen at least one mention of all-nighter study/exam prep sessions; patience is called for.

4 Likes

I like this design a lot. Reminds me of the Pontiacs of the era, especially the wheels and rear. Almost like a grownup sedan Sunbird.
1992 Pontiac Sunbird 2 Dr SE Coupe

I shouldn’t double post, but this is another good design reminiscent of an American automaker of its time. This reminds me of late Oldsmobiles, like the Aurora and more so the Alero.

2 Likes

ROUND 2-1 - A NEW ANGLE

Later that night in Jacksonville Beach

Prologue for Round 2-1

Mike: So this is your idea, kid? A TV show?

Phil: What about it? TV’s just as important as reality these days!

Scott: You’re just saying that because a TV title’s the most you’ve been able to get. What Mike wants right now–

Mike: What I want right now, Scott, is for you to shut up. If they’re actually reviewing anything relevant to me on this episode, I’m game to check it out. We’ve gone through enough match tapes to make me sick.

Phil: Well, this is a re-run of something they aired earlier and I happened to catch. I know they’re reviewing something relevant.

Following their initial brainstorming, in which 10 cars had been consigned to non-competitiveness, the four resolved to continue the night with a viewing of a popular - especially up North - TV show, one called MotorMouth.

Davy: Hello and welcome to MotorMouth! I’m Davy Jones, and on this special episode of MotorMouth, we’re celebrating the ongoing drive type revolution. It wasn’t too long ago that rear-drive cars were all but ubiquitous on American roads, with just about anything that wasn’t a cheap import or an off-road vehicle strictly adhering to the formula. In the past two decades, however, the trend has been well and thoroughly reversed: Cars of all walks, from cheap hatchbacks to family haulers, have experimented with various versions of front-drive - with some, like Audi and Arlington keeping to lengthwise configurations, and many others embracing the space-saving transverse engine layout. For similar reasons - those being ease of driving and superior traction in inclement weather - vehicles ranging from high-tech sports cars to cargo vans have embraced the emergence of on-road, full-time all-wheel-drive.

On this episode, we’re bringing together some premium family cars equipped with front- and all-wheel-drive to see which firm makes the most of such an advancement. Of the six mid- and full-size vehicles here, five are hatchbacks - reflecting the fact that manufacturers may still be marketing these products to a more practical, forward-looking customer set.

Mike: …Davy Jones? Is this guy ribbing me?

Davy: The Knightwick K8 is one of two British competitors in the market, and rides on a standard - if modern - family-car platform with a sideways-mounted V6 and simple independent rear suspension. Our example, the Platinum Sport trim, was very well-appointed, looked good, and generally succeeded in leaving a good first impression. Practical and economical, it’s nonetheless let down by a pedestrian-feeling chassis and Knightwick’s only “okay” reputation for reliability.

Marv: That car is a real looker, but it also doesn’t scream “money”. I don’t know if it would impress many people - and I don’t think anyone here is one to peddle “stealth luxury”.

Mike: Yeah, no. It takes one serious pencil-neck geek to want to hide from your success, in our line of work at least.

(This car hits numerous high points, particularly smashing effortlessly through the design and realism criteria. There isn’t much /wrong/ with it, but the low prestige and reliability values along with mediocre service costs and performance spoil the pot.)

Davy: The much larger Dalluhan Standard Six straddles less of a line and more of a complex trajectory between traditionalism and modernism. It’s a clever and practical longroof hatchback - a wagonette of sorts - and it does employ a front-drive six, but it does so using a longitudinal configuration consistent with Dalluha Coach’s other full-size cars. Being the downmarket version of a platform worthy of Sultans and Sheikhs does pay dividends: the Standard Six is rock-solid and very, very comfortable. As a bonus, our car’s as-tested price was, in fact, the lowest of the group courtesy of DCMW’s a la carte manner of selling options -even with air suspension equipped. With the overly stuffy design and middling dynamics with the base Six being the only real downsides to the car, this Dalluhan is a very compelling choice.

Mike: Now, that I have to try out. Looks like a no-nonsense product that you can spec to your liking.

Scott: It doesn’t have the face of an angel, but I agree. There’s something to be said about treating your customer right.

(One of moroza’s better, and better-looking, cars. Doesn’t try anything super-wacky in terms of engineering, instead engaging in a ruthlessly efficient maximization of benefits - and that, again, “pays dividends”.)

Davy: The Billancourt Elysee seeks to reign through technology: On top of having a front-drive layout as standard, higher-proof models such as this QV6 make use of a unique on-demand all-wheel-drive system that connects the rear wheels of the car should the fronts lose traction. The technology is admirable, but the vehicle’s dynamics, which are only okay, aren’t much helped by it. The Elysee is economical, easy to drive and touts a supposedly entirely rustproof body - but selling this barely-midsize liftback at a higher price than a Standard Six just seems like bad business to us.

Phil: You know, I wanna like this car. It’s not like Mike needs a behemoth to drive people around. Problem is, it looks insignificant, and as far as I’m seeing there’s nothing that crazy good about it.

Marv: Yeah, it’s a dime-a-dozen import with some expensive tech hung onto it. I don’t think this is the one, Mike.

(The Elysee’s two “strong” priorities are drivability and environmental resistance - the latter a product of, /sigh/, treated steel panels. That’s a whole bunch of money basically poured down the drain to, at most, shore up a 2-star priority and gain some extra weight. This is not the only entry to blunder so, but it also doesn’t make up for it with anything stunning in the 3/4 star priorities.)

Davy: Another transverse-engined car and the only traditional sedan in this test, the Ascot Grenadier takes the opposite route to that of the Billancourt: Front-drive, semi-independent twist beam suspension, and a relentless focus on refining the existing components Ascot had to work with. The result is a legitimate V6 sports sedan that puts significantly more expensive offerings to shame in terms of acceleration. The driving experience is confident, and the car even manages to retain fuel economy as a virtue. All that said, the unsophisticated platform does come back to bite the Ascot in the comfort department, and while it does look good it also looks like a boy racer. You won’t be projecting a businesslike appearance with this bruiser.

Phil: See, this one just looks like a better version of the last car - unless you really need that four-wheel-drive to baby ya. What do you think, Maverick?

Mike: I’m afraid not. When you put a cheap platform together with performance, you get the shakiest mess known to Man. My Swanson was bad enough way back when, and that was actually meant to be sporty.

(A worthy and left-field effort from the two of you; This car has perhaps the most realistic rendition of a suspension setup in this group with the “very much opposite of meta” combination of front struts and rear twist beam. Also looks real good. Sadly, with low comfort and prestige as well as unremarkable reliability, it can go no further.)

Davy: In another 180-degree turn, we now depart the modern midsize scene to look at a traditional full-size French car. The De Valz Céleste is hewn of steel, features an adaptive air suspension, longitudinal front-drive, a well-overhung liftgate and styling that makes one noticeable from miles away. The 3.5-liter V6 is the most powerful of the engines in this test - and has to be, to move the 2 tons of car it answers for. Apart from the old-fashioned full-steel body, that weight is begotten by a very spacious luxury interior and class-leading crash safety provisions. De Valz know they can get away with a car that breaks down sometimes since they know an owner would gladly shell out to make it run again - but if that doesn’t scare you, the Céleste is perhaps the best front-drive luxury car there is.

Scott: Holy… This is a nice car! Maybe even too nice for ya, Mav…

Mike: Yeah… Maybe it is. Still, would be a sin not to check it out. The ass end alone of it is enough to warrant a test drive.

Phil: Well, say goodbye to your tough guy gimmick if you get one. This is a Flair kind of car, right there.

(One of two cars in the challenge to get a 10/10 in design from one of us and a 9/10 from another - this is the one I favored, so hats off to pen15 on this. And I don’t even like the original Citroen SM. The engineering is solid, though canted toward technology over quality to the detriment of the car’s dependability.)

Davy: The Winson Emerald might look similar to the Knightwick K8, but it’s a totally different beast. It’s actually a rear-drive car in its basic form, but you can option an advanced full-time AWD system. With a potent straight-six engine, this car delivered the most crisp driving experience of the whole bunch - and the best ride and comfort of all the steel-sprung cars. Practical and modest, it may not be the spitting image of a luxury car, but it delivers in spades regardless.

Marv: Here we go with the stealthy-riches thing again. I don’t get it, are people allergic to looking rich these days? Though I suppose the Winson at least has all those muscular scoops and grilles.

Mike: It honestly looks “pretty good”. Problem is, the De Valz looks better and I’d rather have rolling sculpture than all-wheel-drive.

(Let me be clear: This is a very good car. It doesn’t miss the finals by very much. The problem is, it’s not necessarily the best at any knockout stat. It’s close on comfort - but being neither the most spacious, nor the most prestigious, nor the prettiest, nor the most reliable, the Emerald stops just short of making the cut.)

From this batch of entries,
@moroza
@pen15

Advance to the finals.

And speaking of finals, I apologize for the delays in this challenge - finals, an unexpected research deadline and an also-unexpected necessity to move have all conspired against me getting the semi-finals out quicker. I plan to pick up the pace starting midweek.

20 Likes

Nice reviews and good luck to the remaining competitors!

I still refuse to call the car Winson instead of Wilson

Oof, this hurts, I had higher expectations of mine and shojis monarchist cruiser :smiley:

I do see your points loud and clear though. Great round overall and Pen15 has really made a fantastic looking set of wheels for this challenge, I must say

2 Likes

8ppd2k

8 Likes

Guess the Grenadier lost. At least it came this far as a Taurus-alike

ROUND 2-2 - HIGH FLYERS

Jacksonville Beach, Florida; The morning after Rd 1 and 2-1

Prologue for Round 2-2

Maverick: So, Dream… Why are we outside a financial center?

“Dream”: Well, Toneh, I wanted to show ya how dem yuppies pick they cars. May be of sum importance, giv’n yer tryin’ to impress Eric. He ain’t no workin’ man, an’ das a shoot.

Marv: That, and didn’t you spend your early days traveling the roads in that hip, sporty Canadian compact? This stuff should be right up your alley.

Maverick: Times change, Enforcer. And seeing how we’re likely going to be riding together a lot…

Authié et Dallier 6/27 Q.P. - @Knugcab

Maverick: …Would you really be all that thrilled to ride in the back of this thing?

Marv: Hmmm… Well, normally I’d just call shotgun… Let some of the cruiserweight kids fill out the back, pay for gas. They’re dumb enough to bite.

“Dream”: Heh heh, dass the Marv I became frends wid! Just one issue, daddeh, dat hothead Phil the smallest of your posse, an’ he ain’t no cruiserweight.

Maverick: Really, I just don’t trust A&D’s quality. They’re tin cans, they break down and then cost a King’s ransom to fix… Just not the virtues I’m after. Is this one cheap, at least?

with the Dream’s mirthful laughter, the question finds its answer.

(A tragic case of too much realism - this car is suboptimal in a profoundly real way, with a big V6 engine that’s massively debored and destroked - before being brought up to power via two expensive turbos. Too big ones, too - seemingly for no reason other than to permit the engine to spin to 8200 rpm despite maxing out 2100 prior. Second-worse safety and svc along with poor reliability round out the offenses that end this car’s run early.)

Marv: Cavalieres usually get a better rep, if that’s your sticking point. Though I can’t really fit my rear in the rear, either…

Maverick: Oh, it’ll fit. But my gear won’t, given I don’t just subsist off a pair of black trunks. Look at that rear deck, there’s barely a one!

“Dream”: Daddeh, I’m gonna be blunt here. It remin’s me of uh, a Japanese car but blown up on juice.

Maverick: Damn, and considering it’s Italian… I think we have an answer.

(There’s nothing wrong with a full-price entry, as long as it distinguishes itself in other areas - but this one doesn’t. Small, not the most comfortable, surprisingly unprestigious - and it’s not even the fastest for its troubles. Looks were free to add, and while there’s a fair amount of detail, the Nobile fails to be truly striking, either.)

Maverick: Okay, this looks more the part. Too bad I don’t recognize it; Dream, d’you know what the deal is?

“Dream”: Oh bebbeh, she’s a screamer, yes she is. Dey say she does a hunnit-eighty miles per. And anotha thing, mill’s in de back; and ya gear goes in front.

Maverick: Wait, what the hell? It’s a Corvair? Neat, I guess. Still ,weird I haven’t heard of it before.

Marv: Well, people just don’t think it’s worth the jump. Apart from the speed, it’s only an okay car as far as I’ve heard - and the speed demons out there complain that the engine feels like white bread. Not often you hear that said about a high-revving V8.

“Dream”: That, and the hoss testicles it got for foglamps are ugly as sin!

(An otherwise strong showing for the round’s obligatory rear-engined entry is spoiled by a really quite weird engine: this is an ahead-of-time Mercedes M113 4.2 clone, except it’s got VTEC with the most wide-ass difference between the profiles I’ve seen in a challenge, and full balancing mass besides. The reliability is still “only good”, but now the sporty, fastest-in-challenge RR car has a throttle response of 23. We have a literal carbureted car in the challenge that manages better. Aside from this gripe of mine, the car is full-price for the challenge as expected and has surprisingly unimpressive prestige.)

Maverick: And this just looks downright traditional, especially with that wicked straight-up backlight. Do yuppies really drive this?

Marv: Well, there’s always a counterculture. And look closely: It’s still very clearly not a barge. Tiny wheels, short ass. Got a big-ish straight-six in there, too.

Maverick: I mean… I don’t see a big problem with it, apart from maybe feeling too plain. Japanese stuff doesn’t break, right?

Marv: Yep. Doesn’t break, rides like a cloud, easy to handle, doesn’t eat too much. They call it a Excelsis, and it excels in not pissing you off.

(We got an actual finalist here. Very sharp-looking, very reliable - and there’s nothing here that raises my hackles in a personal way aside from those actually miniscule wheels. Maybe the suspension is also a bit too soft for something that isn’t a traditional Ameribarge, but the sum of this team’s engineering ticks enough boxes to advance whereas the previous three cars cannot claim the same.)

“Dream”: Oh, look… There’s a dang flyin’ saucah.

Maverick: No kidding! This thing looks really funky. It’s shapely as well, though; I wouldn’t say much bad about how it’s presented.

Marv: Yeah… I got a friend with one of these.

Maverick: Uh-oh.

Marv: Exactly. It’s got a look that its ass can’t cash… The chassis is a mess, Front brakes are weak, and it’ll turn inside out if you corner too fast. The same can be said of the engine, by the way. It’s turbo and all, but apparently it runs on a real old, shitty injection system that does it no favor, even in the reliability department.

“Dream”: Heh. Well, this one’s a never-the-mind then, huh Mav?

(The Strader needs polish and research: the basic concept isn’t bad. Hell, despite the SPEFI, the turbo on the car is actually tuned very well. But then you put that flawed-yet-sporty engine into a car with rubber-soft suspension, no front brakes, and an ass that kicks out faster than the Hulkster on roids? That’s where it falls apart. And then there are other blind spots, like the extra $400 spent on bypass valves with no tangible benefit - just because in 1993, they take up all of the exhaust techpool.)

From Round 2-2, only @GetWrekt01 and @HybridTronny’s entry ends up in the finals.

18 Likes

The even more tragic moment when you’re proud of your failure because it captures the intended essence of the car. :rofl:

6 Likes

I had a feeling :wink:

Realism per se is strongly encouraged in CSR, but if the resulting entry suffers from adhering to it too much, then it won’t get far.

Also, from what I’ve seen so far, Mike Maverick will most likely end up with a top-5 shortlist for the final round of judging - with three cars already qualified for the finals, the remaining slots are yet to be filled, but I’m certain they will both be reserved for the most worthy entries that are still in contention.

ROUND 2-3 - REAL AMERICAN

Outside Gainesville, Florida

Prologue for Round 2-3

After the party in Jacksonville Beach, the promotion headed west - and so did our heels. On the weekdays, without anything really being taped for TV or Pay-Per-View, there wasn’t yet much reason for Maverick to be re-introduced - so he just hung around the gang. heading into Gainesville, he rode with Phil and his former tag team partner, Aerial Alan - in their rickety little import. In contrast to Phil’s lemony, dismissive posture, the naturally manic Alan was a good bit more excited…

Alan: I still can’t believe we got Mike goddamn Maverick around in the cee-dub! I can see it now! Maybe you and Marv are gonna tag as some sorta big bad heel wrecking crew…

Maverick: You know, that might even work. He’s the Enforcer, I’m supposedly a mean bounty-hunting son of a bitch - Give us a flak jacket each and we’ll be bad as can be.

Phil: Yeah, that’s if there’s a triple-XL size jacket for Marv to squeeze into. Man’s a couple scoops short of an ice cream tub. You’re holding up, though, old man - I thought you didn’t like the smaller cars.

Maverick: Yeah, I still don’t. Had to scoot so far back that if Alan over there had a neighbor, I’da cut his legs clean off.

Alan: You know, Phil and I got a little something for ya. They did a full comparo of huge American boats in this one magazine a month ago, and we thought you might be into it.

Phil: Oh, God-dammit, Alan! I was supposed to tell him that! I found the damn mag!

Maverick: Aren’t you two just the cutest little politickers… Give it here. Now you gotta put up with me flicking that map light on and reading it out loud to you.

Alan: /gasp/ But ma always said it’s illegal to have the map light on!

Phil: …Goddammit, Alan, that’s a fib they tell you to stop playing with the damn thing!

Before the complex nature of today’s world took over - before even that jungle war was ever a thing - the American family car was a simple affair. Four doors, long, wide and low, with style put over substance yet still enough substance to serve a household. And oh, don’t forget… It wasn’t worth having without a V8 and one of those self-shifting transmissions with a fancy marketing name. Turbo-Dyna-Hydro-Flight-Flow-o-Matic! Yeah, something like that.

Times are different, now. Necessarily so, many a one will insist. A sign of progress, some might proclaim. But when it truly comes down to it, most will admit: We miss the simplicity of it. But what is there to do? We have acquired five American full-size family cars to see how they cope with this changing world. What do you keep, and what do you leave behind?

Marietta has chosen to leave behind the notion of boatiness. The Alatus ZR makes a play to be what no American sedan has really been since the Oil Crisis - a sports sedan. A bit narrower than convention, with toughened-up suspension and the roaring V8 under the hood cranked up to 285 horsepower, this stallion is a worthy performer - with a mid-seven second 0-60 courtesy of a heavy-duty 4-speed automatic, as well as formidable braking. As an Alatus, it benefits from a new unibody construction with excellent safety characteristics, a still-luxurious interior, and a mean - if not necessarily stunning - look. However, we found it somewhat disheartening that even after sacrificing a traditional American ride, the tires remain of standard American width and compound, hampering the mighty car’s vision of being a true rival to Euro sports sedans. And though we know Marietta cars to be totally dependable mechanically, we found we could not depend as easily on the Alatus’ directional stability at high speeds - not helped by an overboosted steering box.

Phil: Sounds like a good shot, but a miss is a miss. It’s kind of embarrassing to have a sporty car that can’t handle being driven, y’know, sportily!

Maverick: It’s a sad thing. I remember the heyday of Marietta cars, when I was in junior high - everybody on the block was talking about how much of a blast they were to drive!

Alan: Wait, junior high? In the late sixties? But that makes you, uh… At least thirty-eight or so!

Maverick: Forty. I’m in my prime, kid, okay? Come the new millennium you’ll be just like me!

(A good effort from a returning user. Has these little hiccups like a too-oversteery suspension setup, too small and narrow wheels, treated steel panels… those add up. Aside from that, the car is very much on the right track.)

Durendal, on the other hand, keeps the boatiness - and just throws away reason itself. An older-style unibody that nonetheless comes with a “struts and arms” suspension setup you’d be more likely to find on a smaller front-drive car, the Havana strives to give more - with an engine that puts out a massive 312 horsepower, and state-of-the art road-sensing dampers. But there’s more than content between the preposterous sans-beltline front end and whimsical British-style rear end: There’s discord. And that discord comes from the two-ton car riding on massively tall yet thin tires that fail entirely to induce any manner of traction - regardless of the trick differential and smart 5-speed automatic transmission. This makes it slower than the last car. And it’s worse in the corners: The Havana entered a dreadful understeer mode whenever pushed even slightly, which - coupled with the generally-already-soft ride - makes one wonder what the geeks at Durendal even thought up the dampers for.

Maverick: God, that sounds like misery in a handbasket. And here’s the kicker: They don’t even mention anything like smothering comfort, or unwavering reliability.

Alan: What are the odds they’re simply not there? I mean, happens to the best of us, lose your touch and you go from “Flare for the Gold” to “Flare for the Old” instantly.

(Dreadful dynamics aside, this car is weird and inefficient on many levels. What’s VVL with no VVT doing in a big V8? What’s a Torsen doing in a comfort-focused car? Why are the damn front brakes solid-discs? Honestly, this was decently close to a realism bin.)

Liberty advises you leave your shame at the door. Don’t be ashamed of taking over 9 seconds to 60, or needing different size front and rear tires. Instead, indulge in the extremely balanced - if not nimble - handling, the lack of effort in the novel servo-assisted steering, the endless cushioning of the air suspension. And you can also grin shamelessly at anybody who’s ever been to a service center - Liberty have long been known to build rock-solid cars even as they get loaded with new technology, because they spend on it. And you will too, as you let go of your shame from taking a cool AM$27,900 out your kids’ college fund.

Phil: Well, that was judgmental as all hell.

Maverick: I have to say, I’m intrigued at a car that’s this high-tech without breaking every 5 seconds… Then again, what measure is a ladder-framed traditional sedan on the high-tech scale?

Alan: I’m still scared about that. I mean, maybe the electric gizmo steering doesn’t break, but will it feel any good?

Maverick: Really, I’m concerned about that filled-up price tag. And once more, I don’t hear any enthusiasm out of them. And… All that money, and they can’t even dial it in without making you pay extra for different kinds of tires?

(A strong showing overall; a lack of raw prestige or visual awe, combined with great-but-not-that-great engineering, keeps it out of the finals. Just a little bit to clear up, though: This is a traditional-chassis US car… with a similarly trad V8… That has tiny staggered wheels and EPS? A weird break with reality there.)

On a more positive note, the Sentinel Pantheon says goodbye to regrets. Sized as properly as a full-size car might be, the Pantheon is, like the Alatus, a unibody - and a five-door liftback, at that. It doesn’t attempt, however, to be sporty - it only matches the speed of the Havana, despite 60 less horsepower, and the cornering of the Premiere, with a square tire setup. Instead, it’s a master class in rigor - being more without losing more - and… ravishing-ness. See, the Pantheon keeps something many a car these days discards: Beauty. Not simple beauty, not scientific beauty, but that same assertive, unrepenant, ostentatious splendor that cars of years gone by oozed so effortlessly. It is, in the 1990s, an honest-to-God coke bottle! However, the IIHS says - and, importantly, our door-slam test confirms - It won’t crumple like one.

Phil: They gush a whole lot about how it’s beautiful and all. Well, I’m driving - and I can’t see worth a shit. Is it any good?

Alan: Yeah…

Maverick: Oh, hell yeah.

(I don’t need to say much here. This is the other of the two almost-perfectly scored cars design-wise, and it does have the engineering to back it up. Weak spots are few, economy being one and an only somewhat good comfort - though still better than that of the last three - being another. A first-draft finalist, for sure.)

This final car isn’t going to crumple, either, but this story is a bit sadder. Because Wolfe with its Regalia wants you to let go… of the Regalia. This is the end; the last model year. And it’s about time, because Wolfe’s parent company have made a monster of it. The huge thin wheels mirror the Havana’s in how poorly the poor thing turns. The engine has been accelerated to 7000 round per, wrung out hard with headers - though it may still only have a carburetor, again the last of its kind. Just objectively, it’s not a bad car despite it all - but it used to be so much more natural. Now it seems like pumping an old fighter with steroids to let him fight one last time. It’s just weird, now.

Alan: /sniff/ It’s enough to make a grown man cry…

Maverick: No, no it isn’t. It just makes me not wanna buy something that’s about to go out. And where do you even find 19-inch tires, anyhow?

Phil: What kinda role do those even play? Seriously, foreign owners don’t get US companies.

(I had a lot of good to say about this originally, but there’s a mix of old school (inducing understeer with stiffer springs when there’s toe-in now) and just weird (seriously, what’s with the mongo-size magnesium wheels?) engineering that puts a sour taste in my mouth. The carburetor I’m fine with, as I publicly did say I wanted at least one entrant to try it - but for crying out loud, this is a Crown Victoria lookalike built on the Lancer body!)

From this batch of entries,

@vero94773 and @Kyorg 's entry

advances to the finals.

16 Likes

VVL and VVT are not the same thing; the former is less effective without the latter:

I once encountered an entrant in CSR137 that had the same problem:

This was its creator’s response:

To which I came up with this rebuke:

Anyway, if Mike Maverick is insistent on a top-5 shortlist, that leave just one more slot for him to fill - from the last remaining batch of entries.

VVL, used correctly, gives you a wider and flatter powerband. VVT improves the existing powerband in power, consumption, and emissions. The latter is a good general-purpose upgrade, and any engine can benefit from it. The former is most useful for screamers that also need to be civilized. A big V8 typically doesn’t have enough RPM range to justify VVL.

Apart from BMW’s Valvetronic engines, I’m not aware of any real V8 with VVL. Plenty with VVT, tho.