Cult of Personality ][ : The Boogaloo [LORE][RD 5 FINAL RESULTS]

So, just for some clarity, let’s just say that I would make something that is virtually identical to the Chevy Astro, being sort of a midsize van, and with commercial versions available - how would that one be classed?

(Not that I will but just curious)

The Astro was considered a passenger car. Just bear in mind, the Dodge Caravan was also considered a passenger car, despite having cargo/commercial configurations as well. Which is why I will use size to determine.

4 Likes

Yes, I was asking about the Astro since it was after all a bit larger and truck-like than other minivans. I must say that I have never really understood what is considered a passenger car and not according to US regulations so it is always nice to learn. :joy:

If I remember, the magic cutoff point was a GVWR of 6000 pounds. Under = passenger, over = truck.
There were some exceptions. Small pickups with low GVWR’s like the Dodge Rampage and Mazda B-series were considered trucks, but the Subaru BRAT was considered a passenger car because of the seats bolted in the bed.

Yes, we’re all kinds of inconsistent and screwed up. HOORAY FOR HAVING AN ENTIRE INDUSTRY OF POLITICAL LOBBYING!

5 Likes

Round 4 Reviews

1985 Madison Ballista 350 GT

Madison had already proved in the late 70’s that a competent, fun sports car was possible under Federal regulations that many thought would permanently kill performance. Of course, with the boom of computer technology in the early 80’s, Madison once again decided to show the public the definition of “possible.”

The Ballista 350 GT had, as could be figured out from the name badge, a 350 CID (5.7L) V8 motor in it. Thanks to computer fuel mapping and mulit-port injection, this beast jumped up to 280 horsepower in 1985. That was good enough to propel the Ballista to 60 in a mere 5.7 seconds, and give it a top speed of 170 miles per hour. This car, single-handedly, represented the nail in the coffin to the “there will never be performance again” argument.

It was, indeed, a command performance, with the Ballista 350 GT sweeping the amateur and pro-am sports car race circuits three years in a row. And to this day, the Ballista always has its spot in car shows and vintage racing events.

Scores in: Mainstream Culutre - Hot Rods and Sports Cars, Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports

1985 FM Overlander

Slow, old, unreliable, clunky British SUV. A lot of people will tell you this when you ask about the FM Overlander. Even “car guys” will tell you this. The thing is, it’s not really true.

Peoples’ perceptions of a car model take decades to change, if they even change at all. FM fell victim to this in the mid-80’s. Through the lens of time and documentation, we can see now that it was actually a good, solid, reliable “early” SUV. So why does it have such a horrible reputation?

Well, because after the Oil Crisis, most Americans got notoriously cheap, particularly at the pump. Gas is gas, right? Go juice makes the car go. Well, what happens then is that the owner of the lovely new FM Overlander then proceeds to ignore the “Premium Unleaded Fuel Only” stickers on the gauge cluster and inside the fuel door, and proceeds to put whatever base-grade garbage they can find into the tank. This also explains, in hindsight, why Overlanders in Idaho had particularly short lives, as their regular unleaded is only 85 octane, not 87.*

Both my father and uncle owned FM Overlanders in the late 80’s, and my uncle’s is still running beautifully today at just over 200k miles. Dad’s was totaled in a wreck in 1997, sadly, but had no problems prior. Why? Because they actually took care of their cars. Thankfully, there were at least some other owners who took care of theirs, and enough proper gearheads to resurrect and maintain a small fleet of these old trail beasts.

(*)Meta Note: This is AKI, not RON. Fuel is rated at the pumps and in the owner’s manual in AKI here.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture

1985 Kaizen FC22 (TU1)

The 1985 Kaizen FC22 is a case study in opposites, when compared to the FM Overlander. The target audience of this techno marvel was much more affluent, and used to performance cars that required better fuel. By comparison, only a handful of Kaizen FC22 met their end by knocking themselves to death.

This was an entirely new breed of car from Japan, however, with some manufacturers moving away from their “cheap, reliable, and economical” image to launch contenders squarely in the premium market. Gone were the days of vinyl and corduroy fabric seats, eco-tuned 4-cylinders, and carburetors. The FC22 arrived on the scene with firmly bolstered leatherette seats, air conditioning, fuel injection, and even more advanced technology such as antilock brakes. Yet it didn’t lose part of its roots: the 5-speed manual gearbox turning the rear wheels.

It was no Madison Ballista for pure speed, but unlike a Madison Ballista, you could bring your friends or family with you, and enough luggage for vacation. Indeed, the Kaizen FC22 was the herald of a new attitude towards the application of performance.

Today, it is not lost to memory. Any decent-sized car show will have at least one present, hopefully in relatively unmolested condition.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars, Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1985 Hessenburg 2000 RSi 16v

The world didn’t stand still while the US got its act together in the late 70’s. While emissions were being sorted out Stateside, overseas companies were evolving their products for their own markets. With economy cars as precursors, some models developed as an interesting mutation: economy cars with excellent performance. Hessenburg launched one such car in 1985, the Hessenburg 2000 RSi 16v. And they never sold a single one over here. For that matter, no one could get their hands on one until 2000 due to import laws.

Even back in 2000, 138 horsepower would not have sounded incredibly impressive. Most economy cars had somewhere between 90 and 130, after all. But those in the know understood that, in 1985, this was a monstrous number from a 1.8 liter 4-banger. They also understood that performance would be excellent, as the car would be almost 1/3 lighter than their modern counterparts. And, like the FC22, the 2000 RSi had an early ABS system. Unlike the Japanese sedan, Hessenburg kept the front-drive layout, creating one of the earliest examples of the “Hot Hatch.”

It was a formula that would dominate Europe for decades, yet something that still would have a level of novelty in the US and Canada for just as long.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export

1986 Schnell LX20 LSi (T45)

Schnell’s LX20 LSi was already late in development when Kaizen dropped the FC22s into the market, complicating Schnell’s North American plans a bit. This unexpected move into territory that the German automaker was attempting to claim may have caught executives flat-footed, as the LX20 seems to pale a bit in comparison to its Japanese competitor.

Frankly, the Schnells were just not as well put together or packaged as nicely as the Kaizen. No leather. Older non-variable power steering. Poorer interior layout and ergonomics. The FC22 looked like it would sink the Germans before they ever got started. In reality the competition between the two was much more fierce than anyone anticipated. The Schnell LX20 LSi was a fair amount cheaper than the FC22, and straight-line performance was better. It wasn’t until the first long-term reliability reports came out that the Kaizen gained the edge for good. Though, if you wanted a bit of a thrill in wagon form, Schnell was there for you.

But it was a hell of a run for Schnell, and this journalist always appreciates seeing both models together at car shows.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars, Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars

1984 Cabrera Fulgor Turbo

TURBO, BRUH!

Yeah, in the 80’s, turbos were really just used for one thing: more power. Early fuel mapping wasn’t good enough to make a truly good small displacement, efficient engine, unlike today. So instead, manufacturers used them as a tool to sell hot versions of their regular cars.

And then, enter Cabrera. Their partnership with a certain American automaker gave them the idea they could do both. In 1984. The result was the 108 horsepower, 1.5 liter, Cabrera Fulgor Turbo. It was touted, paraphrased, as an economy car with balls. Well, it definitely took some huevos to introduce Americans to a turbocharged economy car… that still used a carburetor, and an outdated 4-speed manual.

Who would buy such a thing? Really, in many cases it just boiled down to buyers wanting to give the finger to the rest of the auto industry. But for others, it was because the car was cheap and got decent gas mileage. To their credit, Cabrera managed to sell more of these than anyone (except Cabrera) expected. Negative attitudes towards earlier Cabrera models probably didn’t help, nor did a recall on early models for carb seals being blown out by the turbo.

We do wish more of these had survived, or that their original or familial owners would give them up more readily for restoration and enjoyments, but at least they exist, floating around out there in the vast automotive world.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics

1982 Keystone D3500 ST Savant

Perhaps predicting the upcoming wave of performance sedans, Keystone released their all-new flagship D-series in 1982. Because of their British roots, Keystone did something that their later competitors didn’t do: release a 5-door liftback version. It wasn’t just available in a stripped down version, either. The example shown here, from a recent major car show, is the top-trim ST Savant, with the 5-speed manual to boot.

Despite being early in the wave, Keystone seems to be a bit forgotten, at least by performance enthusiasts. Keystone only squeezed 171 ponies out of their 3.5 liter V8, though to be fair the engine was based on a pushrod four-cylinder that was already 35 years old at the time. This, and the larger body, meant a 7.6 second jaunt to 60 (only a ittle faster than a Cabrera Fulgor Turbo), and a 124 MPH top speed.

Instead, Keystone focused their energy on cabin experience. Vibration and noise was damped surprisingly well for the era, and both standard equipment levels and user ergonomics were also quite good. Overall driving experience was said to be solid and fun, but not nearly as crisp or exhilarating as the FC22 or LX20.

Keystone continued their policy of encouraging independent race teams to use their vehicles, leading to a number of wins and podium finishes in pro-am touring classes between 1982 and 1986.

There was a facelift in 1984 that brought the North American version of the D-series in line with the European D-series design language.* Interestingly, this makes the 1982 and 1983 D-series among the rarest cars, and even parts cars with good front ends are highly desirable.

( * )Meta note: Originally a 1984 was going to be submitted, but HighOctaneLove had difficulty designing the front end with “euro” light fixtures looking good. If anyone wants to take a crack at designing the 1982 Euro/1984 World facelift for fun, please let me know.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars, Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports

1985 Bazard Tormenta (PE)

Some readers are going to scratch their heads and wonder why we included the Tormenta in our list. Was there anything that really stood out about it?

Yeah, but not in a good way. Those of us who grew up or were young adults in the late 80s and early 90s remember seeing Tormentas broken down on the side of the road basically every day. We’d be riding along in our FM Overlander, and Dad would laugh, or mumble some complaint about garbage American cars and how they didn’t build them like they used to. When I was a kid, I never understood why anyone would buy one. I mean, if everyone knew they were so bad, why would they buy them?

Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug, I guess. Many years later I got to drive one, and it was very much like driving a couch. It was a great thing, and simultaneously a terrible thing. So comfortable to ride in, even after 25 years, but also so dull to drive. 157 horses was pretty good for the time, but the whole car just felt like a morphine shot before surgery.

It explains why so many ended their existance as demo derby cars. Those that show up at car shows? Again, I didn’t understand until recently. But nostalgia is a hell of a drug, too, and I guess if you grew up sitting in the back seat of a broken down Tormenta, you get it.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars, Counter Culture - Motor Sport

1986 Armor Streethawk

So, the 1980’s sports sedan war went a little like this:

Britain in 1982: Hello, we would like to introduce you to this comfortable, quick, stately car. We think you’ll be chuffed.
Japan in 1985: Konichiwa. Your hatchback is too soft and slow. Please accept this not-so-humble sedan, and let us show you the wonders of multivalve setups.
Germany in 1986: Anhalten. You cannot claim victory, nein. We will show you what a turbocharger can do, ja?

America in 1986: Screw you, we’ll do it with multiple valves AND bigger displacement. U - S - A! U - S- A!

So yeah, that would be the Armor Streethawk. Did we mention that the Streethawk was the biggest of the four, yet still the fastest to 60 at 5.8 seconds? Indeed, the Streethawk was what you bought when you wanted a Madison Ballista, but had kids, and didn’t care if you rattled their brains out.

The Streethawk was pretty unapologetic as far as a sports sedan went, which was a bit of its own undoing back in the day. While the performance was clearly there, the demographic that could afford such a toy was often middle aged or older, and the jarring ride was a detractor, and they were more likely to choose the slowpoke Keystone. Young, rich professionals, on the other hand? Right up their alley.

And, of course, finding a big modern or twin-turbo 6 and cramming it under the hood is about the most Streethawk thing you can do to a rolling chassis, these days. It would just be in keeping with the tradition of the model.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars, Mainstream Culture - RestoMod

1981 F&S Jikan Triple Threat

I’m a little too young to really remember these too well, but I do remember seeing a few broken down on the side of the road, with venomous comments from my Dad, similar to the ones he made towards the Bazard Tormenta. Then I forgot about them until recently.

It was only when I was doing research for this series that I came across the F&S Jikan Triple Threat, and why I never really saw them anywhere. As it turns out, their tiny sub-1 liter 3-cylinder turbo engines were, not to anyone’s great surprise, unreliable. And the Jikan was a bit of a throwaway car to begin with, being an economy car and price-point competitor to the Cabrera Fulgor.

But in my research I also came across some interesting videos. One was of a restored Triple Threat tearing up an autocross course thanks to its light weight, and another was a vlogger doing a cross-country trip in his Dad’s old Triple Threat.

This is further proof: If something exists, someone is an enthusiast of that thing.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics, Counter Culture - Motor Sports

1982 STAG MTMWV Civilian Berserker Pickup Convertible

And this week’s winner of the “longest official name of the week” goes to…

We’ll just call it the Berserker for short.

That, of course, is the only thing short for the Berserker around here. The vehicle itself is a full-size, quad-cab pickup based on the military version. Big, heavy, tough as hell, all the things that Muricans like in trucks. While quad cabs had been around in fleet form for a couple decades, the Berserker was probably the earliest example of a quad-cab pickup being financially viable for an automaker on the basis of consumer sales.

It’s also very much a counter-culture truck in the show world. “Yeah, your truck has a square body? Not only is mine more square, I know where to weld in a hardpoint for a machine gun on mine.” Weird flex is the MO of the Berserker owner.

Speaking of machine guns, there are plenty of civilian-built Berserkers that have them mounted. None in this country, though. Think Middle East and Africa. If there’s a civil war somewhere, there’s one of these with a machine gun, guaranteed.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Import/Export

1984 Kazuki KZR 2200

Kazuki found a market niche to cater to in 1984 with their KZR 2200. Besides Keystone and their Q-series, no one was putting out a reasonably priced sports car. And while its 2+2 configuration (thank you, unnecessary tariffs) didn’t make it a sports car in the purist’s sense, the KZR2200 definitely fit the bill as far as feel.

It was plenty powerful, without being overpowering. Handling was crisp (for the day), and the cabin was actually pretty spacious for its size. Of course, never put anyone larger than a small child in the rear seats.

So it wasn’t a surprise that it sold well, and that a very good portion of them are still on the road to this day.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars, Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics

1984 Bricksley Kingsnake 464 Pressurized

If there was one thing that you could count on Bricksley for, it would be consistensy at all costs. Despite the Oil Crisis and legislation in the aftermath such as CAFE, Bricksley continued to offer mammoth engines with poor fuel economy.

This led to a major spike in cost of models such as the Kingsnake 464 Pressurized, as they fell below the minimum line to avoid the “gas guzzler” tax of the 80’s. This additional tax, without a corresponding feature increase, definitely took a bite out of sales. Still, some rich buyers whose sole goal in life was “let’s see if we can make tires cry” would still end up buying the Kingsnake.

Because the point of the Kingsnake 464 Pressurized was merely obscene power, a cottage industry (and later cult following that persists to this day) popped up, trying to see just how much power one can squeeze out of a 7.6 liter turbocharged straight-6. Spoiler alert: a lot more than the 400-ish horses that were stock under the hood.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars

1986 Ivera Executive (North American version)

After more than a decade of shifting attitudes brought on by lack of reaction by the American auto industry, a phenomenon happened sometime in the mid-80’s: THE luxury car to have was no longer American. It was Swedish.

Having slowly built up their following and reputation over more than 2 decades, the 1986 version of the Ivera Executive was released in the US as a flagship car. Not only did Ivera upsell their loyal customers, they successfully captured a good number of traditional American buyers. With the Executive’s almost dream-like road manners, strong motor, and exhaustive list of creature features, it was no wonder.

Now, even though the Executive was a smashing sales success, it was still produced in much smaller numbers than its passe American counterparts. Finding one in restorable condition requires patience. Restoring one requires even more patience, and a large wallet. But for the peak of 80’s cool luxury, nothing can beat the Executive.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1981 Ryuji Shogi 4x4

Ever expanding their product lineup, Ryuji sent us yet another brilliant gem in the early 80’s. The Shogi compact pickup was an absolute hit with post-Oil Crisis buyers looking for a pickup that didn’t drink like their aunt at Christmas. While it would have been good enough for them to simply flood our shores with small RWD trucks, they gave us variety as well.

Take, for instance, this Shogi 4x4 here, found at the local monthly meet. No, that’s not actually lifted. That’s how tall they were from the factory. They were absolute beasts off-road, able to navigate in areas far too tight for traditional SUVs and pickups. Yet they were still big enough to get the job done for dump runs and home improvement. Plus, do we even need to mention that absolutely cool 80’s movie that featured one?

If you’re interested in picking one up, however, we have to strongly urge you to get the frame thoroughly inspected and any rust addressed. The Achilles heel of the Shogi back in the day was its poor crashworthiness, and frame rot can turn your project into a fatal nightmare.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Motor Sport, Counter Culture - Classics

1984 IP Commuter “Penny Pincher”

If there was ever a quintessential economy car from the early 80’s, the IP Commuter would have to be it. Cheap, reliable, easy on fuel. Not the best ride in the world, but you can still flog it to death and it will come back for more.

There was absolutely nothing exciting about the Commuter when it was new, but that didn’t stop people from buying them by the tens of thousands each year. A Commuter might have been an extension of some people, like another body part. One of the first documented million-mile cars in the world was an IP Commuter that belonged to an auto parts courier. Their relatively awkward suspension was acually a boon on forest service roads, so seeing them at trailheads was a common sight (and still possible to this day).

Now, seeing an IP Commuter, particularly the thrifty “Penny Pincher” is absolutely exciting. It’s a testament to a car that just kind of “existed” so subtlely yet carried so many families. A testament to durability. A testiment to what was possible during a transition of eras.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics, Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture

7 Likes

1986 Jidosha Kogaku Kumo Te

I can only imagine the surprised look I had on my face when I walked up to this little “Kei wagon”, saw it was right-hand drive, and then learned that it was only ever built that way. At least, in that particular configuration.

I was unaware at the time that, in 1986, Jidosha actually built a version of their Kogaku that was specific to the North American market. In hindsight, I should have seen it coming; the marker lights were all wrong for Japan, so it had to be an actual Federal model. It also took me a while to figure out why this particular trim couldn’t be sold in Japan, lights aside.

It was the engine. I honestly thought it was a Kei engine at first, being under the 660cc limit. But that’s only what a relative neophyte like myself knew. For those who don’t know, let me explain what tripped me up. I knew that the original size limit for a Kei was 360 cc and that it changed in the 80’s to 660cc. Well, turns out I was wrong on both parts of that second half. There was an intermediate step to 550cc in 1976, and it didn’t change to 660cc until 1990.

So why did Jidosha make a 660cc engine for the US model Kogaku? Probably coincidence. They would have needed more power for the North American market, even with the turbocharger they added, and developing a new engine just for that purpose would not have been cost effective. Boring and stroking an existing motor probably made a lot more sense.

In any case, this is one of the faster “Kei” cars you can get your hands on, either the true imported 550cc version, or the North American turbo 660.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Import/Export

1985 Mara Kanyon (North American version)

If the Ryuji Shogi was the best off-roader you could get in 1981, the Mara Kanyon was the best off-roader you almost couldn’t get until 2010.

In other parts of the world, the Kanyon was already available years before its 1985 US debut. This delay was not for lack of trying on the part of Maxsim Bricklov. An actual Archanan spec Kanyon is about as much of a deathtrap as an original Quezon SuperCab. Engineers at Mara had to repeatedly go back to the drawing board to improve the crashworthiness of the Kanyon on a shoestring budget.

Finally, in 1985, the Kanyon debuted in America. It was every bit as competent offroad as the international auto press had indicated, and every bit as dangerous as the NTSB had feared. In a twist of irony, the Mara Kanyon had difficulty selling not because of its dirt-cheap price, but sky-high insurance rates. One major national insurance company reported that it was less expensive to insure a brand new Ivera Executive than a Kanyon, despite the sticker price on the Executive being more than six times higher.

Most of the Kanyons have rusted away over time. It’s far easier to find running gear than a shell. In fact, we’re pretty sure there are now more dune buggies with Kanyon engines than there are running Kanyons left.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Motor Sport

1982 CM Terrier S1 (A)

Hetvesian manufacturer CM was another proponent of performance compacts in the early 80’s. Unlike Hessenburg, they didn’t hoard all of their Terrier S1’s at home, instead electing to bring them alongside their more mundane counterparts.

Their start in 1982 was a bit rocky. This wasn’t due to any failing of the car, but rather lingering American attitudes as to what a performance car should be, and what an economy car should be. The public still viewed the two as oil and water at the time. A few years later, sales picked up, but never rose to their home market levels.

This makes the early CM Terrier S1 quite a rare beast, and a fun one to play with at that. This is a little hatchback that can absolutely shred an autocross course, conquer amateur street-mod circuit racing, and still be right at home in the ranks of the local car show. A bit of a Swiss army knife in car form. Conversely, due to their rarity, parts are hard to find and expensive, so keeping one running is a bit of a task.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Motor Sport, Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1986 Valiant La Victoire 1.3 Executive

Most of our readers have never seen one of these in person, and probably half who have seen one were weirded out by the concept. The 1986 Valiant La Victoire 1.3 Executive has that effect on people. It was an absolutely polarizing car, even in its French home market.

The idea behind the La Victoire would make absolutely any American driver’s head explode. It’s a compact premium-to-luxury segment car, powered by a ghastly 74 horsepower 3-cylinder engine, and wrapped in… fiberglass. Yes, that means it is absolutely a deathtrap. Oral history gives us a story that Valiant brought five of these to the States to conduct crash tests, and the first one failed so spectacularly that they simply packed up the other four and went home with them.

If there is any car that defines how absolutely bizarre and esoteric French car design is, this would be the one. Yet there are people out there that willingly pay money to buy one from France and have it brought Stateside.

I guess they just like watching heads explode.

*Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export

1982 Shidley Chips Turbo-LXi (DB3)

In a July 1988 article, a certain automotive journal speculated that Shidley’s US market hopes were in serious jeopardy, and squarely pointed the finger at the 1982 Chips Turbo-LXi as the cause. Why such a bold and direct statement?

The Shidley Chips, in the early 80’s, was positioned as an upscale convertible sports car. They had engineered a slick mechanism that hid the soft top completely behind body panels when it was folded down, which was a move that gave the Chips a bit of a glamorous and advanced image, even as the mechanism cost dearly in trunk space. Further showing an image of technological advancement, Shidley utilised a turbo MPFI motor that put out 206 horses. While this powered the car reasonably, problems began to surface with turbos after just a few years.

Quality control issues, high maintenance costs, and economic pressures all started to take their toll within a few years, and sales of the Chips Turbo began to drop precipitously. Shidley’s investment in the model began to look like it would not be recovered, and their problems tarnished the image of other Shidley models (and even affected competitor Keystone to an extent).

Now, there is almost nothing that will get you more looks and interest at a modern car show than a Shidley Chips. So few have survived intact that they are almost unobtanium at this point. Today, a Chips Turbo LXi has more glamor and cachet than it ever did in the 80’s.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics

1982 Quezon Laguna Dual-Cam Turbo

Speaking of unobtanium, how about a limited production model that was never imported to North America?

That would be the 1982 Quezon Laguna powered by their 1.6 liter, 16-valve turbo motor that put out 201 ponies. In a lightweight sports coupe body and with only 2 seats, the Laguna was more of a squared-off 80’s interpretation of a roadster, but with way too much power and going to the wrong wheels.

It’s our understanding that only 200 were ever built. It is believed that only 4 exist in the United States, with only 2 of those actually being registered. If it sounds like a ghost story, it may well be. No one at this journal has ever seen one in person, and even Quezon has no idea where all of the cars are, just that “a good number” have been wrecked or destroyed over the years.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Import/Export

1986 Wells i5 GLS

As a company that was suffering from stagnation during the early portion of the Malaise era, Wells needed desperately to break out of their shell in the 80’s. Their venerable 500 series had to go, and the i5 was their answer to foreign competition.

With 173 horsepower and an 8.3 second 0-60 from the automatic version, the i5 had decent giddyup. But to get those speeds from a relatively large bodied automatic, weight needed to be shaved. Wells adopted a fiberglass body shell, something rather unusual in a mid-sized sedan format. While this worked for performance, it added significant production costs. This moved the price point of the i5 up above better-equipped competitors from Kaizen and Keystone.

With rather dismal sales, Wells i5s are difficult to find these days. Those known to still be on the road often make the rounds of car shows, displaying their odd heritage for all to see. As well, some have found success with vintage circuit or autocross racing.

Scores in: Counter Culture - Classics, Counter Culture - Motor Sport

1982 Oldman Pristis GL

G’day, mate. Time to throw another shrimp on the barbie and open a Fosters.

Alright, now that I’ve pissed off all of the Australians out there, let’s talk about one of the few Australian manufacturers to ship their cars here from all the way Down Under. Oldman gave us their Pristis economy hatchback in 1982, hoping to cash in on buyers who still feared another oil crisis. Turns out, there were plenty of those folks around.

What Australia offered them was a cozy gas-sipper with surprising cargo room, pleasant road manners, and a reasonable sticker price. During the early 80’s, this was a sweet combination at a time of compromises. So it’s no wonder that Oldman had a bit of problem supplying enough cars to keep up with demand.

And no wonder that you still find them on the road now and then, driven by some old white-haired former hippie on his way to whatever adventure awaits next.

*Scores in: Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics

1986 Munot Millenium

At the same time that Ivera was cashing in their chips on their long road to a loyal and stable owner base, Munot entered the arena from Switzerland with a luxury car of their own. It seemed a move that might be interpreted as riding the coat tails of another company that did all the hard work before them.

Don’t be mistaken. The Munot Millenium is quite a different car. It’s a little smaller, and though it has two more cylinders, it has a smaller overall displacement and about 25 less horsepower. Munot geared their luxury car a little more like a sports tourer, giving it more punch off the line but also forgoing room for one of the rear seat passengers.

Buyers who looked solely at the price tag would most certainly have been enticed by the seeming bargain of the Millenium, though the cost to run a Millenium was significantly higher.

And, of course, being from a small Swiss company, there simply weren’t as many Munots available. The situation with finding one these days is that they didn’t hold up very well over time. Registration data from 2018 puts the number of remaining '86 Munot Millenium at fewer than 200 on the road in all of the US, and probably fewer than 20 in Canada. This means you could probably go a couple years without seeing one at a show, depending on where you live.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars

1986 Lynx L32 V8

High end sports cars had been slowly creeping up in a feature and power wars for years, and import manufacturers were always ready to cut each others’ throats for a slice of the American market. 1986 saw French manufacturer Lynx send the L32 V8 targa-convertible to the States.

This was a direct blow to the earlier Shidley Chips, despite being quite a bit more expensive. The Lynx L32 could flat-out destroy the Chips in speed, and even competed on even footing with the Madison Ballista. It was incredibly nimble in corners, and reasonable to cruise long distances (both in terms of comfort and fuel consumption).

Sales of the L32 were dampened by the comparative bargain that was the Madison Ballista, as well as poor exchange rates and labor troubles at home. But at least Lynx didn’t have to throw gas-guzzler taxes on top of all that, unlike Shidley.

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars

1984 Kolt Coyote V8

The new breed of “muscle” cars, in the form of performance sedans, took the market far upscale of where their predecessors had landed. This created a void for a “pocket rocket”. Kolt decided to plug that gap for the 1984 model year with the release of their small V8-powered Coyote coupe.

Being made in the US, they didn’t need to worry about tariffs surrounding numbers of seats, and didn’t bother with the rear jump seats that weighed down foreign competitors at the time. Instead, they concentrated on providing potent performance at a low price. The first they did quite handily, giving a fun 5-speed coupe that could hit 60 in 8 seconds flat. The low price is debatable; the Coyote was rather thirsty, and got hit with a CAFE tax for low economy. This put it just below the Schnell LX20 in price.

Let’s face it, many people bought them because a 2-seat coupe is just way cooler than a wagon. I mean, even a performance wagon is not cool because it’s a wagon, right?

Right?

Scores in: Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars, Counter Culture - Classics

Round 4 Rankings

Mainstream Culture - Muscle/Pony Cars
1986 Armor Streethawk
1985 Kaizen FC22 (TU1)
1984 Kolt Coyote V8

Mainstream Culture - Classic Cars
1986 Ivera Executive
1985 Kaizen FC22 (TU1)
1986 Munot Millenium
1982 CM Terrier S1 (A)

Mainstream Culture - Hot Rods and Sports Cars
1986 Lynx L32 V8
1984 Bricksley Kingsnake 464 Pressurized
1984 Kazuki KZR 2200

Mainstream Culture - Retro Motor Sports

Mainstream Culture - RestoMod
1986 Armor Streethawk

Counter Culture - Spiritual Classics
1984 Kazuki KZR 2200
1982 Oldman Pristis GL

Counter Culture - Motor Sport
1981 Ryuji Shogi 4x4
1982 CM Terrier S1 (A)
1985 Mara Kanyon
1986 Wells i5 GLS

Counter Culture - Classics
1981 Ryuji Shogi 4x4
1985 FM Overlander
1984 Kolt Coyote V8
1986 Wells i5 GLS
1982 Shidley Chips Turbo-LXi (DB3)

Counter Culture - Import/Export
1985 Hessenburg 2000 RSi 16v
1982 Quezon Laguna Dual-Cam Turbo
1986 Valiant La Victoire 1.3 Executive

Counter Culture - Jalopy Culture
1985 FM Overlander

11 Likes

Round 5 - Re-Emergence - 1987-1992

Thanks to major advancements in the field of computing, automakers finally have technology that can reliably improve emissions without strangling output. As a bonus, this seems to have unlocked a new level of efficiency never before achieved. As the economy starts to finally recover and gas prices settle in at stable lows, it’s time to finally break out of the Malaise era for good. What philosophy for capturing the imagination of buyers is your company using?

Requirements for ALL Entries:

Model trim year: Trim year may not be earlier than 1987 or later than 1992.

Engine variant year: Variant year may not be later than 1992 or the model trim year, whichever is earlier.

Regulations for North American Compliance:

Fuel: Unleaded (universal), Premium Unleaded (universal, but perception penalty because people don’t remember to use it).

Emissions, passenger car: Catalytic converter required. Max engine emissions of 1300.

Emissions, truck, SUV, or van: Catalytic converter required. Max engine emissions of 2000.

Bumpers: 5 MPH bumpers required. These may be either large separate bumpers, or integrated bumpers.

Safety, passenger car: Minimum 40

Safety, truck, SUV, or van: Minimum 35

Safety, speed limiters: While technically not required, speed limiters or governors are standard on nearly all cars by this time period. There are two exceptions: sports cars, and carbureted vehicles. All other types of cars will typically be governed with a maximum speed between 95 and 136 MPH, with SUVs on the low extreme, and executive sedans on the high extreme.

Front lights and fixtures: At least one pair of headlights is required. At least one pair of turn signals is required. At least one pair of parking lights is required. These may be separate or integrated fixtures. While there are no regulations to size or shape, please make it realistic for the period.

Front light colors: No red may face forward. Headlights must be white. Turn signals must be amber. Parking lamps must be white or amber.

Rear lights: At least one pair of brake lights. At least one pair of turn signals. At least one pair of reverse lights. Only reverse lights and optional reflectors may be placed in bumpers. If turn and brake lights are in the same fixture and of the same color, there must be a minimum of THREE bulbs in the fixture. There must be a Center High Mount Stop Lamp (a red lamp in the center of the car, usually placed at the top or bottom of the rear glass, but must be placed higher than the main brake lights)

Rear light colors: Brakes must be red. Reverse must be white. Turn signals cannot be white.

Side marker/signal lights: One pair of front side marker lights is required. Must be forward of the A-pillar. One pair of rear side marker lights is required. Must be rearward of the rear wheels.

Side light colors: Front side markers must be amber, rear side markers must be red.

Mirrors: Driver and passenger side required.

Aerials: Long mast or retractable antenna required if car has a radio.

Fuel fillers: Fuel filler door must be on a quarter panel on the opposite end of the car from the engine.

Tires: No semi-slicks

File Naming Convention:
Model: COP2R5-(username) Trim: (MFR Model Trim)

Engine: COP2R5-(username) Variant: (Whatever you want to call your engine)

Export and PM me the .car file, make a post about your car in your lore thread (if possible), and make a post with picture or ad in this thread before the deadline. Also, as this is the first round, please make sure to include your company’s name and home country.

Round 4 deadline: Thursday September 2, 11:00 AM PST (UTC-7)

5 Likes

1989 IP CELESTIA GT/TA

When the sixth generation IP Celestia was released in 1989, the sporty image was revived for real. Not only did it recieve an all new double wishbone front suspension instead of the strut type that had been on all Celestias since the start in 1963. The old GTX-H (as in homologation) model that was available in the second and third generation also got a worthy successor in the GT/TA model (Turbo AWD).

The GT/TA was the top of the line Celestia and was only available as the coupé version. All wheel drive, ABS and a limited slip differential helped to keep the car planted to the road. Maybe necessary, since turbocharging on the 2.6 litre inline six bumped up the power to 305 hp, which was enough to make the car reach 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds, and the top speed was a stunning for its era 270 km/h. The US version shown here had the same performance, since IP of America (despite criticism) decided to sell it without a speed governor even in the US market. The differences are mainly that the black tinted indicators in the rear got amber lenses instead, and that the windshield mounted antenna was replaced by an electrically retractable dito, since there was fears that the reception on the AM band was going to be too bad.

The example shown here is a 1989 model in one of the very rarest colours on a GT/TA, “spearmint green”.

The sixth generation IP Celestia was produced until 1993, when the seventh generation took over, and of course there was also a seventh generation GT/TA but that’s a story for another time.

8 Likes

By the way, is there any reason why the Hessenburg could not be imported to the US?

1988 Rowlari Empress

Trim: Grand Royale

Designed in 1980, the Rowlari Empress was intended to be a new breed of luxury car. The 1970’s era Diamondback had been designed with three trims: Classique, Grand Royale, and Fully Loaded, each one progressively adding in more options. The 1980’s Empress brought those trim levels back, but gave them more meaning.

The Classique was offered with the 353ci and 464ci inline six engines, the Grand Royale could be picked up with the 497ci inline six, or after 1985, the new Bricksley-Rowlari 441ci V10. The Fully Loaded trim came with the massive Bricksley-Rowlari 588ci V10, or the brutal 927ci Rowlari V12, now outfitted with fuel injection and emissions equipment.

The new V10 engines were a joint project between the two divisions under Bricksley’s banner, aiming to create an engine to improve the fuel efficiency of their fleet while still remaining smooth and prestigious for Rowlari, the luxury division. These V10 engines ended up in everything from small sedans, luxury cruisers, pickup trucks, and even the occasional van. Variants of the 441ci V10 were used in the 1987 Bricksley Grand Sorcerer Police Interceptor when police departments demanded faster police cruisers to deal with the onslaught of fast, turbocharged mayhem spilling out of the early 80’s.

The Empress was offered in colors such as Ruby Red High-Metallic, Diamond Black High-Metallic, Sapphire Blue High-Metallic, Emerald Green High-Metallic, and Quartz White High-Metallic, as well as several Bricksley standard metallic paints, plus the $4,200 “Custom Color” option. These could be ordered with the leather interior being complimentary colored, plain white, plain black, or optionally left in “True Leather” with no dyes used.

6 Likes

Screenshot_3Screenshot_2

Can this be considered as both side and front indicators? Or do I need to add another pair?

I can’t speak for Vic’s judgement, but usually that sort of thing would be stretched for the US market to act as a side marker. They tend to wrap around the side a little more.

Schnell LX35 LSi MY1989 (T53)
After success of the original LX20 LSi, Sales have dwindled a lot in the late 80’s for the MK1 to the point they lost money selling the car and its associated trim levels. They desperately needed a replacement to avoid losing thousands of dollars per car they made so they cut the plug on the MK1 production entirely and its platform sharing cars like the X20 Convertible which were recalled because the cars were not rigid and prone to snapping in half.

It has a new sporty interior, and new casette deck and a V6 Engine with 260HP. The LSi trim was heavily improved with Progressive suspension, Variable Hydraulic power steering and traction control with ABS, and a more comfortable ride and better packaging.
For the first time, the car had dual exhausts because of the 24V DOHC V6 rather than its SOHC 2.0L I4 predecessor. It was a lot sleeker than its boxier MK1 model.

0-62MPH was in an astounding groundbreaking 6.1 seconds, rivaling with the sports car segment while only weighing in at 1279KG. or 2819lbs and the top speed of 162MPH.

A V8 LSi was planned but the lack of time and a deadline of May 8th 1989, the car’s release. Of course it had normal trims with less powerful engines.

How to spot a fake model to a genuine one

The LSi was the only model to have a 3.5 V6, All the others had smaller displacement V6’s or inline-4’s.
It’s a widened version.
Two spoilers, Normal trims usually have one.
Sold as a 5MT model.

6 Likes

I designed the coupe version to be an European-exclusive model by lore.
As I mentioned in these paragraphs:

This white unit shown here is a German market 16v coupe with the RennSport Package, which both the engine, package and the body style are not available for sale in America.

Sadly, the American market only gets the 3-door hatchback with the original 1.6 liter engine, and for worse it was downtuned to 115 hp due to regulations and what not.

1992 Madison Ballista 500 GT

The second-generation Madison Ballista hit the market in 1992, and traded its predecessor’s angular styling for a more curvaceous shape. Underneath the hood was a 345-bhp 5.0L all-alloy DOHC V8 - a clean-sheet design incorporating variable intake and exhaust valve timing. This engine was mated to a close-ratio five-speed manual gearbox, yielding a top speed of 183 mph and a 0-60 mph time of exactly 5 seconds.

In a first for the company, a multilink rear suspension was fitted, yielding significant improvements in ride and handling compared to the earlier Ballista. In addition to this, ABS, traction control, and front airbags for the driver and passenger were all standard. To minimize weight gain compared to its predecessor, some panels (doors, hood, and trunk lid) were now made out of aluminum instead of steel.

The reason for the redesign was clear - by 1990, imports had caught up to the Ballista in many criteria, and so an all-new design was required imminently. Thankfully, it did not disappoint, especially at its base price of $42900 AMU, which included leather seats, a premium sound system, 17-inch alloy wheels, and variable-ratio power steering.

Even with all the premium trimmings included as standard, the Ballista was a more competitive performer than ever before, thanks to its all-new mechanicals - and was more civilized than its predecessor to boot.

Interior

6 Likes

1991 Hessenburg F-4 1.6T

IAA 1991 press release image, European model shown

Its the year 1991. The Cold War has ended, Germany was unified, and Hessenburg had a great year for its products and their profits.

The high sales volumes of the 2000 and its other models in its existing markets, as well as the firm’s newfound success in markets like China, led Hessenburg to think different with their next model, which was previewed in 1988 as the Hessenburg Y2K concept, which is a carbon fibre-bodied quad coupe with an 1.0 liter L3 twin turbo and an electric motor hybrid setup.

Of course, carbon fiber and hybrids were just too advanced for its time, and to set the vehicle for production, some modifications were done to make sure its viable for production. But technical issues lead the car missed its original 1990 release date, only to be seen in IAA in 1991 as one of the stars on the show.

The car was officially released in fall 1991 in Europe and America, with sales in Japan started in 1992. Other than the required modifications to the car to make it production-viable, the whole vehicle does looks a smidge like the concept vehicle, as its aerodynamic, rounded edges and a 4-door design (with suicide doors) of the concept still being kept in the vehicle.

Inside the vehicle is a all-aluminum 1.6 liter turbo four, generating 212 horsepower in its peak. Coupled with a lightweight design and a 5-speed manual meant that 0-100 km/h times are in a competent 5.6 seconds and a limited 250 km/h top speed.

A 2+2 seating configuration, 7-speaker sound system by Bose, automatic sunroof and a quirky dash meant that the F-4 is just as striking inside, with specially designed seating for the front occupants for the best comfort in a low weight, as well as a load of safety features which include some parts that were pretty rare on a vehicle like this.

The vehicle was only produced in Hessenburg’s then-new factory in Mannheim, which meant waiting times were long, and the fact that only specialized mechanics can repair the vehicle, which meant repair prices were higher than average.

However, this doesn’t stop owners of the vehicle buying the vehicle, and sales continued until the limited number of 15,000 units were finished in 1995. The amount of surviving vehicles are obviously, lower, but collectors are more than ever to obtain it as a part of its collection to remind of the quirkiness of the vehicles.

END

7 Likes

Oops, missed that. :roll_eyes:

The 1990 Bazard Dakar

Is lore time

The year is 1984, and the car community witnesses one of the most interesting new cars in a long time: The Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager. A car with the space of a cargo van that could fit in a standard garage. one which could comfortably hold 8 people, yet which drove like a sedan. It could pretty much do anything! With fold-up seats and sliding doors, it was truly new. And different. And awesome.

Bazard loved it. They wanted this. They wanted to make this. They wondered why they hadn’t thought of this sooner. It was brilliant. And perfect. And right up their alley, considering like 2/5 of their lineup was vans anyway. And then they saw Chrysler’s sales figures…

So, what did Bazard do to make a van that would stand out from Chrysler’s (and later, the Astro and Aerostar)? They went to Senegal. In an earlier round, I mentioned that they were expanding operations into Africa and South America. As it turns out, this had gone quite well; they now had several African and South American subsidiaries in various countries. designing and building cars for their own nations (and regions). Teams of people, hired and trained from their own country, designing cars to be built in factories in said country. And it was a resounding success; even though the cars weren’t always the most unique, they were still pretty good; and the pride of having a car designed and built right at home sits well with people of any nation.

Bazard wondered if any of these subsidiaries could do something about this; and as it turns out, a designer in Bazard Senegal had already been thinking of a design. Bazard Senegal was already beginning work on a new truck/van design, and one designer had already been looking for a way to merge the hardcore utility of this chassis into something that might work as a family car.

A minivan…with the chassis of a truck. A family car…that can take an offroad trail. The most versatile car known to man made even more versatile. Bazard, about as excited as a kid on Christmas, merged that Senegal team with one of Bazard’s American teams, doubled their budgets, and gave them all the time they needed to create what would later become the next generation B-series.

Dakar%20ad%201
Bazard used the fact that the Dakar was made in Senegal to boost marketing in the US, using this to symbolize the toughness and reliability in the car’s blood. However, the American marketing was usually created exclusively by Americans…who, though well meaning, didn’t always know as much about Sengal as they thought they did.

This generation of the B-series lineup, released in 1988 in Senegal and 1990 in the US, comprised of a van, truck, and the Dakar Minivan. Unlike the truck and van, the minivan was given a name, rather than a string of letters, and was marketed to civilians as well as to companies.

Yet because it was based on a truck chassis, it came with all the advantages of a truck. The Dakar was available in the same 4 trim levels as the commercial trucks, from premium-level appointments for long-distance cruising, to really cheap, stripped down budget models. It also came with all 3 transverse-mounted engine choices available on this platform, with the efficient I4, reliable V6, or (available only upon preorder) a monstrous <200hp V8 engine, usually built for top-level C-series trucks and higher.

Alongside a traditional FWD, Bazard also offered it with an optional Four-Wheel-Drive system- which, because they couldn’t make 4WD work with a transverse engine, was actually a modified AWD system sourced from Centara’s Tormenta- Centara’s only mark on the car. They also offered offroad and/or snow tires as an optional extra (pre-installed, or separate), as well as a manual locking differential.

Bazard exaggerated the difficulty of this trail a bit, but it was still pretty impressive that a minivan managed to scale it.

It was a sort of precursor to the SUV craze, where 15 years later the first crossovers would be trying to combine exactly the same traits. Bazard, with Bazard Senegal, had built a minivan that really could work on-and-off road; they thought they had come up with the most versatile car design ever made, and for a low fair price too. Who wouldn’t want a car that could do everything, they thought?

The version provided is a mid-trim Dakar, with the trim callsign being “BMH6” (B for B-series, M for Minivan, H for “high” trim (second highest), and 6 for 6-cylinder). It comes with the V6, the Four-Wheel-Drive system, an 8-track and cassette player (base models only had the 8 track), and ABS. Not quite the highest trim, but a pretty good show of what it could do.

From left to right: A Dakar van (BMM6), a BTF8 truck, and a BVL4 van.

6 Likes

When 90’s came, car technology was getting better day after day. Computers started to take a big place in the industry, and most of the things were done by mere codes. It was time for Kolt Coyote to shine again. In 88, Kolt decided to continue the series and started building the Mk.3 with the help of computers and again, Mitsubishi engineers. This time Kolt made a deal to use the 3000GT chassis for their new vehicle. They also wanted to make an efficient and powerful engine, thus they made the Eco-Six V6 series. It was 213cu(3.5L) and made 260HP/304Nm with 7K peak RPM limit. When the news came out, fans were disappointed as Coyote came with a V6, not a V8.

Exterior Pics

Interior Pics

5 Likes

This is another example of using lore writeup to try to steer my judgement of the car. Competitors are not to make statements about post-release popularity and sales. Please remove this portion of your write-up.

5 Likes