{DEADLINE?} [FINAL SUBMISSIONS OPEN] Retro Racers: a race car - road car design challenge

Retro Racers: a homologation race/road car design challenge

To give you all a break from the extremely regulated engineering savvy challenges, I decided to host a purely design-related challenge with as much creative freedom as physically possible. So without further ado, here it is;

Basically, this challenge is all about race cars for the road, AKA Homologation Specials. You can choose any racing series/class to make a race car and corresponding road car for, so long as it is between 1970 and 1999. Participants must make a race car for whatever class they choose and must make a corresponding road car, as long as it makes sense for the time period/era. Submissions open on March 5th, and end on april 20thThere will also be judge-given feedback starting on the 30th. ( ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶m̶h̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶l̶l̶e̶n̶g̶e̶)

Participants may submit up to one car per decade

Submission Policy:

You must set your model name to

[RR-(main category)-(subcategory)-(decade)-(username)-(road or race car)]

The trim name should be the actual name of the submission

Example: [RR-On track-Coupes-80’s-Mustangporsche67]

The judges are:

Me (Mustangporsche67)
@MelikTheHedgehog
@Moose_Man46
@MountainGoat_96
@FuriousFox25

Rules/guidelines

This is a purely design-based challenge, so no engineering will be judged, although please keep it period correct/realistic (no 60,000hp v16s)

There will be 2 main categories and 4 subcategories, as well as the decade:

On-track: pretty much any car designed to be driven on a paved surface/track

Off-track: rally cars, race trucks, whatever else goes offroad goes here

Sedans/wagons (4 doors or more)

Coupes

Hatchbacks

Trucks/4x4s

70’s

80’s

90’s

1. Road car Submissions MUST be road legal/make sense as a road car. If you just take the livery off your race car and put plates on it, YOU WILL BE BINNED

2. Road cars must resemble race cars and must have the same body and wheelbase

3. The road car MUST be at least believably road legal, so just slapping license plates on a race car will result in a bin

4. Formula/open-wheel race cars are the only racing class that is banned due to obvious reasons

5. The race car must make sense for the class it is supposed ot be entered in (ie; don’t make a group c rally car or something stupid like

6. The race car must have a livery of some sort, and no, putting 2 racing stripes and a number on a car and calling it a day is not a livery

7. The race car must have proper period safety features, and be up to the correct spec/limitations of the time/class

8. MAJOR RULES UPDATE (3-20-23)

We have a few new rules I didn’t originally think of that are pretty important to what can and cant be submitted to this challenge, so, here they are;

1. The car has to have 4 wheels touching the ground while at rest, so no 3 wheelers and no motorcycles (maybe I’ll do a separate motorcycle challenge after this…)

2. Both the race car and the road car can only have 1 engine. no escudo pikes peaks and no twin-engine golfs

3. No fan cars/motorized ground effect machines will be accepted, so no chapperal 2Js.

4. The road car cannot just be a normal commuter shitbox, as the sole purpose of most of these cars existing is to go racing, not the other way around. if you do have a base model that you plan on giving the race treatment to for a homologation car, that would be fine, but just taking a normal ‘throwaway’ car and saying its the homologation version would result in a bin.

5. Please refrain from using real life branding/cars, we want to see what you come up with, not some pre existing car company

6. If there are any other rules that i think of i will be sure to alert all participants about them. As for now, get creative, have fun, and i look forwards to seeing what you guys make!

Inspiration:

Please note that this is my first challenge so its not perfect, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

14 Likes

I’d so do this challenge, got a perfect car in the works for it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m happy to announce that @MelikTheHedgehog is officially a judge!

If, in the racing series you are emulating, minimalist liveries as such were common, is this a problem?

No, trans am cars are fine, it really just depends on the racing series. naturally, if you have a group b or c car, i’d encourage the race car to have a somewhat decent livery, but in the case of the trans am racers from the early 70’s, you would be fine.

also, say hello to our 3rd judge, Moose Man46!

mfw a different person posts a design only challenge and people show interest but when I do it nobody cares :face_holding_back_tears:

Baller

4 Likes

As my first submission on the forums this challenge is right up my alley!

3 Likes

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN!

In other words, each submission includes a race car for a specific class and its corresponding road car equivalent.

you would be correct

Is it ok to post WIP builds? I don’t want to cause clutter.

So for the car type categories, (coupe, hatchback, truck, etc), are we using the game’s classification? I ask since the cars I want to enter are called coupes in game, despite having a rear hatch.

Go ahead!

1 Like

No, irl classification
Let me clarify:
Coupes are 2 doors, ie a mustang or an m3
Hatchbacks are literal hatchbacks (no, liftbacks are not hatches)
And trucks and 4x4s are pretty self explanatory
And sedans are 4 doors, ie a merc s class or a dodge charger

This is a coupe:

this is also (technically) a coupe:

This is a hatchback:

This is NOT a hatchback, despite the liftback trunk, it is still in theory a coupe

This is very much a sedan:

This is also a ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ sedan

3 Likes

A mid 80’s IMSA GTX class Race car and its Homologated counterpart currently in the works, the original base car was built by Juice on discord who has given me permission to once again use his car :blush:

9 Likes

Sorry if double posting isn’t allowed, since im a new user i cant post multiple pics on single post yet.

A certain late 90’s Japanese car built by me, the race version is still being worked on

6 Likes

2 Likes

oh and one more thing i want to clarify, please refrain from using real life branding/cars, we want to see what you come up with, not some pre existing car company

also doom lmao
that reminds me
IF you can somehow make an open wheel car believably road legal, I would possibly accept it, although I don’t know what category it would fit in…

2 Likes