Direct Injection Emissions should be higher?

First I want to congratulate you all for creating such an in depth and amazing game!

Just wanted to say that the emissions number reducing when using direct injection compared to port injection is wrong. The fact is hydrocarbon emissions are generally higher and particulate emissions are extremely high, much higher than that of a modern DPF diesel, in a direct injection gasoline engine. NOx emissions are also increased if a stratified fueling stratagy is used. When adding a turbocharger the emissions are made further worse as the turbo takes heat out of the exhaust, resulting in longer catalyst light off and more emission slippage when driving cold as well as added NOx at high load operation.

Here are some official emission results from the UK government website comparing an NA 1.6 to a smaller 1.0 GTDI engine of the same output in the same vehcile:
(g/km)
CO - 1.6: 0.342 GTDI: 0.347 (Slightly higher)
HC - 1.6: 0.057 GTDI: 0.064 (Over 10% higher)
NOx -1.6: 0.051 GDTI: 0.039 (Lower as this particular GTDI engine does not use stratified injection)
No soot / particualte information was given, but you would find the GTDI would have a huge increase over the 1.6.

Of course the CO2 is lower with the GTDI engine, but CO2 is directly proportional to fuel economy (with small variations depending on fuel quality and feedgas CO concentration) so should be kept separate to the ‘emissions’ measurement in the game in my opinion.
Correcting this would make the game a lot more realistic and really show the trade off between fuel economy/(co2) and the other exhaust emissions which are actually poisonous, damaging to the environment and carcinogenic.

Apart from the turbos, the emission dependencies in the engine designer are probably the most needy of an overhaul. We’ll get around to that eventually. :slight_smile:

Also thanks for the data, that’s a good start for a future overhaul. I know it was something we didn’t have too much luck finding good data for at the time :slight_smile:

Is that stat for purely direct injection? Doesn’t the new trend of hybrid port/ direct help cut down the particulates?

Have Mazdaspeed3, can confirm direct injection is particulate dirty like a 70s diesel. You should see the back of my car.

This isn’t true: the direct injection cars (Diesel or Petrol) actually are dirtys (aprox. 1000 times highter than a indirect injection car, inclusive a Diesel car of the '80) because the size of particles are smaller than the cars with indirect injection, and the smaller particles can pass through the lung, and this in the alveoli, and caught this particles inside this, producing lung cancer and premature deaths. This info is from the European Union, testing 3 different models of cars with inject direction.

Yes, the Direct Injection engines CO2 emissions are lower than the Indirect injection engines, but the difference is that the CO2 isn’t dangerous (no make Cancer), but the particles yes.

In fact, OLD DI cars suffer from high particules and emissions. New DI with really small tolerances atomize fuel in smaller droplets causing less emission than old ones (like Mitsu 4G93 engines if I’m correct on the Eng Code, or 2005+ MZR-DISI engines).

Yeah, we get a lot of VERY early Mitsubishi GDI engines here in NZ (~1997) and I’m pretty sure they’re not so good on that front.

Yeah, I read about those at my job. Poor emissions… And underpowered. Those were too early and received bad reviews.

Yeah, although the roughly 180kw 3.5 V6 is apparently decently quick. Mind you they seem to kill valve seals and other things, you see a lot of old Mitsu GDIs that blow a lot of oil smoke.

Good to know! Up here in Canada, we don’t really see those engines! Where was that 3.5 V6 put in?

Pajero/Montero, and maybe Diamantes. Plus we get the 2.5 GDI V6 in Galant/Legnums. And the GDI 1.8 4G93 in various smaller things (Lancer etc.)

We also get the 129kw 1.6 4G92 MIVEC and the 147kw 6a12 MIVEC (Not GDI). They’re awesome motors.