Engine Bay Size

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Would it be possible to have an actual size (LxWxH) for the engine bay that each body type can take as well as the current volume listing.

it would make it a little easier to design an engine for a specific model you may have already designed.

I don’t see how this would help? I you make a new model based on a platform, the engine manager shows you what fits and what not (doesn’t work for old-version engines). If you build a new engine for a model, you just “choose engine” and select “new engine”. Then the arrows show the allowed size, which is more illustrative than any measures you’d have to note, IMO.

If you look at it the other way around:
You have created an awesome engine you want to fit in one or more car bodies. You know the dimension of the engine. How do you know which body it will fit into? You will the have to make a platform, a model, figure out it doesn’t fit, then start over again with a different body type. And so on.
If you also had the dimensions displayed (what do you need the volume for anyway? Just asking :slight_smile: ), you would select the appropriate body the first time around :wink:
But that’s just my opinion, or way of doing things, as i like to make a car for my engine, and not a engine for my car :slight_smile:

[quote=“Zatotm”]If you look at it the other way around:
If you also had the dimensions displayed (what do you need the volume for anyway? Just asking :slight_smile: ), you would select the appropriate body the first time around :wink:
But that’s just my opinion, or way of doing things, as i like to make a car for my engine, and not a engine for my car :slight_smile:[/quote]

Dimensions are in Length, Width and Height
do LxWxH and you get cubics, so ³.
That should be your volume :smiley:

I agree this is a bit stupid, as it either should show engine total volume at the engine designer, or show the dimension space in the car designer.
As for creating a car with your engine… You can do this by pre-making the engine, and then creating a car. Its not particularly necessary to make a platform and model first. You can switch to the Engine designer at the top with the ‘Engine Designer’ button.

[quote] Dimensions are in Length, Width and Height
do LxWxH and you get cubics, so ³.
That should be your volume

I agree this is a bit stupid, as it either should show engine total volume at the engine designer, or show the dimension space in the car designer. [/quote]

I’m aware of what volume is, but i do not see it being a relevant stat for the body, as the length, width and height is important. If you have an engine which is bigger in only one of those directions, it will not fit, even if the engine has a volume smaller than the available volume of the body. Which is of course how it should be. You see my point? :slight_smile:

Yes I do :slight_smile:
Its not that I didn’t see it, but its about the value standing there giving you the volume, on which I totally agree is not quite handy sitting there when we are talking about LxWxH for the engine and all of a sudden Volume for the enginebay.

[quote=“Zatotm”]If you look at it the other way around:
You have created an awesome engine you want to fit in one or more car bodies. You know the dimension of the engine. How do you know which body it will fit into? You will the have to make a platform, a model, figure out it doesn’t fit, then start over again with a different body type. And so on.
But that’s just my opinion, or way of doing things, as i like to make a car for my engine, and not a engine for my car :slight_smile:[/quote]

Alright, good points, now I understand where you are coming from. Thing is though: engine bay size depends on too many other choices: you can’t tell if the engine will fit in before you have chosen both drive type and suspension setup. So I don’t see how one would make it work elegantly “the other way around”. Engine Bay volume is a single, general value which should hint at the rough engine bay size. It is supposed to give a general feeling for how much room you have, nothing more than that.

Of course, I understand, and i see your points :wink: But even so, I think the dimensions are better than the volume, even if they include space for the gearbox/differential and suspension. Then you maybe could see beforehand which engine layout the body would be suitable for, ex. long length for longitudinal mounted inline 6, or short length for transverse mounted inline 4, etc.

Hi Guys

Just to clarify, I tend to build my engines first and then design the platform/models. Its just how I do things.

Obviously I could do it the other way round and I do appreciate if you select new engine it shows what fits, taking suspension/drive-train into consideration. On my setup on this version, if you choose new engine the engine designer runs really slow. But if I go direct the the engine designer first it runs fine.

Forget the slowness, I tweaked the graphics settings and its fine.