Engine buyer demographics

Just had a thought while playing automation if we could have Engine buyer demographics like the car buyer demographics that we have now. it is just a thought and might be useful when selling engines in campian mode =)

Well, that doesn’t make much sense, does it? Engines are not sold to individuals in units of 1, unless for replacement/repair. There will be an engine market, but that will be contracts between manufacturers. :slight_smile:

I think that you might have missed the “Crate Engine” phenomenon. But i think it’s an american thing only.

I don’t think it’s that much of an American only thing.

If I want to buy a K20 to put in my Civic I am pretty sure I can source a brand new one from Honda.

Anyway, as Rob said, you only have 2 sorts of buyers for engines.

-Spare parts (includes transplants).
-Selling engines to other industrial clients.

No, you can’t just ring Honda and order a “crate” (fully assembled and dressed, ready to run) K20. They’ll be more than happy to sell you an extremely expensive list of parts that can be assembled into a K20.

As far as I’m aware, the only manufacturers that officially sell crate engines with support and warranty are GM and Chrysler (Mopar).

yeah sadly it’s a US only thing, which is quite sad

Ford(US) also sell crate engines. (but only smallblock engines)
I think there are several european engines that would sell plenty, if they were available from the manufacturer.