Family Haulers [1980] [REVIEW POSTED]

[size=150]Family Haulers[/size]

PLEASE BE AWARE, THIS IS A COMMUNITY MOD PACK FRIENDLY CHALLENGE. IF YOU HAVE NOT DOWNLOADED THE COMMUNITY MOD PACK, PLEASE DO SO. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING MODS THAT ARE NOT CONTAINED WITHIN THE COMMUNITY MOD PACK AS THEY MAY RESULT IN REJECTION/REDESIGN.

Onward to 1980 for this one.

Family cars are undergoing a generational change. After nearly a decade of trudging through painful and difficult design changes in this category, the landscape seems to be stabilizing somewhat. The perfect time for companies to seize a big chunk of the pie in this significant, yet not very glorious, category.

There is a secondary prize, beyond bragging rights in this thread. The top 2-4 (depending on total number of entries) competitors will be written up in a head-to-head, magazine-style review!

[size=120]RULES AND GUIDELINES:[/size]
Year: 1980
Body: Any 4- or 5- door sedan or wagon
Interior: must have a minimum of 5 seats.
Tires: 0-quality, medium or hard only.
Fuel: Regular Unleaded Only
Exhaust: Must have a catalytic converter and at least one baffled or reverse flow muffler(s). (read as: street legal)
Engine: Anything goes! Reliability >0 of course.
Aero: No lips or spoilers at all
Total cost: less than $8000. See important note in the score weights section about cost penalties.

Everything else is fair game!

[size=120]SCORE WEIGHTING:[/size]

There will be a calculation formula similar to the last competition I ran. Weighting will be different this time around, simulating potential buyers’ preference for a balanced family car.

**Emissions is no longer weighted at all. As long as you have the required exhaust equipment, they should be “reasonable enough” for these purposes.

Undervalue weight: Sportiness (heavy), prestige (slight), offroad (heavy)

Average weight: Utility, Practicality

High value weight: Drivability (slight), safety (moderate), comfort (slight), reliability (moderate), cost-to-own (slight, amalgamation of fuel economy, service cost, and total cost)

Cost Pentalty: For every $200 increment over $7000, there will be a manual .2% deduction from your final score. Alternatively, for every $200 increment UNDER $5500, there will be a manual .2% BONUS added to your final score. An increment will be defined as anything exceeding the initial threshold and up to the next threshold. Ex: anywhere from $7000.01 to $7200.00 is a .2% deduction. $7200.01 to $7400.00 will be a .4% deduction. $4300.00-5499.99 will be a .2% bonus, etc.

.ZIP the 4 LUAS and send them to me. Naming format must be as follows:

(name)-Cars-Models, (name)-Cars-Trims, (name)-Engines-Families, (name)-Engines-Variants
Also, please send your company, model, and trim names in the PM with it, as well as nationality.

Examples: VicVictory-Cars-Models, VicVictory-Cars-Trims, VicVictory-Engines-Families, VicVictory-Engines-Variants
1980 Ardent Chancellor LS, USA

Attached is an example of how to PROPERLY name files (Thank you, Packbat):

ENTRIES WITHOUT A COMPANY AND MODEL NAME WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, AS PART OF THE PRIZE FOR WINNING IS BEING WRITTEN UP IN A REVIEW

REJECTED ENTRIES MAY BE REVISED ONCE IN ORDER TO CORRECT THE REASON FOR REJECTION. PENDING OR ACCEPTED ENTRIES MAY NOT BE REVISED.

Side note for the top 4 from the last competition(s): You may enter. If you get in the top 4 again, you will be reviewed, but you will not be allowed into the next 2 competitions, just to give others a fair shake.

[size=110]May not enter due to number of recent wins:[/size]
oppositelock

[size=110]ENTRY DEADLINE: MONDAY MAY 11, 9AM PDT (UTC-7), OR UNTIL 24 VALID ENTRIES EXCLUDING BENCHMARK HAVE BEEN RECEIVED, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST[/size]

[size=120]Pending Entries:[/size]

[size=120]Accepted Entries:[/size]
VicVictory - USA - Ardent Chancellor LS (Benchmark)
conan - Japan - Ossan Prince Edward GLC
Manche - Uruguay - FMU Pampero Mk3 Rural
victorgarcia - Brazil - Garcia Motors C280
HighOctaneLove - Moldova - Bogliq Bastion Deluxe
mer_at - Austria - Mars Engineering Redarius
nerd - USA - Rado Carrier
BlastersPewPew - USA - Desert Motors Rangipo
nialloftara - USA - Centauri Knight Royal (Estate)
urbanliner - Japan - Daiki Stardust L
JasonPoland - Poland - PolMot 8-2
Corvette6317 - Australia - NMC Eagle Deluxe
Elouda - UK - Lightstar Neptune 424
Tycondero - Netherlands - Astana Cosmos 2.2L
Lordred - USA - LHE Famsed Series II
Packbat - USA - PAW Pteropus RC
NiuYorqCiti - USA - Ponni Caricatore Luxe
Zabhawkin - USA - DMA F80
harizvet1 - UK - Infinity AD21 Base 1.6
8bs - Portugal - Fuentes Progression 2.0 (Estate)
Absurdist - ? - Marks Patron Ising SiG1980
NormanVauxhall - Italy - Znopresk Zanzibar 2.7 Sala
Chipskate - Great Britain - 1980 Brooke Avant Deluxe
SeriousSimon - USSR - Romanov Katusha
Leo9613 - Brazil - Baltazar Kashmir 3.0

[size=120]Rejected Entries:[/size]

New Challenge, New Car!

This time I went with an oddball Japanese car. 1980 Ossan Prince Edward GLC. It features a lot of dubious mechanical choices. If you remember the car I done in 2002 CTC, the Mitsushita Jesta. It’s sorta like that car in a lot of way.

I agree with dropping the emissions weighting, I played arround with it and nothing seemed to work out, and besides other than legality it has very little to no bearing on a persons choice in car.

Instead of banning someone for winning the last contest, why not just have them placed the same way we do the benchmarks?

Here’s Garcia Motor’s entry: the C28o, featuring a 2.8L straight six, superb handling, adequate balance between power and economy, and oh, it does o-1oo in 7 seconds flat, near 2oo kmph and spends just a bit more than 1oL each 1ookm

Zab - I am no longer counting the benchmark against total entries. But the reason I’m doing it this way with the repeat winners is so that they don’t take up one of the 24 slots. Pocket Rockets was extremely popular and filled up in only 4 or 5 days. So far not exactly off to a slow start in this category either. :slight_smile:

Edit: I present to you the benchmark car.

1980 Ardent Chancellor LS
Powered by a 2.8 liter Lyra-series straight-6 (LA6-A), the LS trim comes standard with an automatic transmission. A host of comfort touches are present throughout the cabin, and the AM/FM stereo includes a digital clock and station memory presets.

Model shown in Mocha Brown clearcoat.

Here is my submission for scrutiny by my peers…

Presenting the 1980 Bogliq Bastion Deluxe!!! :sunglasses: :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Thanks again VicVictory for another interesting competition :smiley:

Although Grey-Skies Industries has been excluded from competition, senior management has chosen to design a prototype for comparison purposes only. When the engineering department protested this a waste of development funds, the CEO agreed and demanded that all staff work on the project off the clock. Naturally, the result was less than spectacular.

I’m BACK!!!

with PolMot’s 8-2 from the 80s

[size=150]Mars Engineering is proud to present the ME Redarius.[/size]

Here is my entry, details to hopefully follow once I think of something good to say about it.

The 1980 Desert Motors Rangipo

My entry for Astana in this competition.

The Astana Cosmos

This looks like fun! I think I’ll go work on something. :smiley:

I present the Rado Carrier:

Rado Carrier (1st gen, 1980-1984 model years):

“One of Rado’s worst sellers. The Rado Carrier simply had no purpose. It was a huge FWD wagon with a 4-speed automatic (3-speed + Overdrive) made 20 miles to the gallon, and was bulky and hard to drive.
It was slower, less comfortable, got worse gas mileage, harder to drive, and much more expensive than the Rado IV 3-door hatchback in return for 2 more doors. And the Rado IV was just as safe.
A reviewer said ‘If you want a family carrier, buy a competition’s model. If you are desperate to buy a Rado, get the Rado IV hatchback. It is simply better in every single way.’ The Rado carrier was hardly bought by anyone, and it is estimated only 2900 exist today. While well over 100,000 were produced, a lot of them were abandoned and recycled with the materials put to better use. Yet the company did not give up.”

A little over a day in, and we have 1 accepted and 7 pending. I will go through those pending tonight once I have a little time. I like the variety that I see so far!

Edit: I managed to get them done before company came over. A few entries need revision. I believe I PM’ed those who do, but check the first page just in case.

Still struggling with the gas crisis Centauri introduced it’s 4.1 liter straight 6 to replace it’s smaller v8 lineup, it wasn’t much to write home about, especially when fitted to one of the largest cars Centauri had build, the Knight Royal Estate. With a huge frame enclosing 3 rows of bench seating, if you had a family of 9 and needed to go on a vacation it could take you and your luggage there, eventually.
Don’t mind the random glitches, sometimes my pc hates having dozens of tabs open while playing this game. (for the record I died a little bit inside making this)

This is the car I’m using to join this challenge, the massive Baltazar Kashmir, in entry-level 3.0 BS spec.

This massive car was designed to take on the best that the world could offer, but not in this version, with its measly 125 hp, coming from a DOHC 3.0 24 valve engine. However, considering the 110 mph top speed and 13s 0-60 time, all that tech was of no use. Still, it is very easy to drive, quite comfy and very safe. This fails to be a Volvo in only two categories: it isn’t as reliable, but it is far sexier.

The sign of a true corporate shill. Excellent. :laughing:

9 accepted entries, 3 pending revisions. Another 12 spots still available. Get those mom-mobiles in before they fill up!

Year 1980 The current dictatorial goverment doesnt have as much of a tight grip as before and More protests and subversion was taking hold and and new winds were boling through the FMU factory, 3 new firsts, the first station wagon, the new generation the Pampero and a new 16 valve cylinder head to top it off.

Cooking up a 1980 LHE. I am liking what everyone else has, this looks and feels very ‘buhahahaha emissions killed the family sports car’.

Im digging it.

12 accepted entries, 4 pending revision. That means 8 slots left (maybe more, if some of those revisions fail)

I’d like to note that I have received a number of entries that give a LUA error relating to headlights. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re using illegal headlights (unless you are), but rather it’s a generic LUA error that is received when either the model LUAs are corrupt, or the original installation of Automation is corrupt. If you get a PM from me that you’re getting that error, be prepared to reinstall automation, and recreate your car from scratch. It doesn’t seem to have any bearing on the engine files, so when you rebuild your car you can save time by putting your existing engine into it if you like.