First car for my son

concept render

2 door mid engine car
@F17Francesco

costs less than 18k with 30%

5 Likes

Nope not offended, my challenge was for a work truck with certain conditions in mind.

Just looked back at the competition, and it wasn’t the power that yours failed on, it was that it was geared too high to pull the load up the hill.

Second place had just 2 more horsepower, and first had 235.

Also many of my submissions in other competitions are considered under powered.

When I get a chance Ill work on entering, this one is definitely a change of pace.

1 Like

73/1000 = 0.073
89.8/1112.6 = 0.081

0.081 > 0.073

Sounds like he needs a 1961 Doberman Duet:

Perfectly stylish, with plenty of space for the modern familyman and his acquaintances, the all-new Doberman Duet is the all-american compact for today and tomorrow. It’s very advanced 146 cubic inch six cylinder engine rated at 85hp (SAE) has unparalleled levels of refinement and will return 29 smiles per gallon! A smooth ride and excellent visibility are standard on this sturdy little automobile. The Doberman Duet can be yours for just $1,924!

15 Likes

10 Likes

So, we’re basically building this

@Awildgermanappears got the right idea

6 Likes

Would be nice if you provided a restriction or penalty on production units and engineering time seeing as these things don’t get reflected very well in the sandbox price estimate, nor in how many cars could be hypothetically sold and their profitability. If you don’t, you’re more likely to get lots of difficult to produce cars (and engines) that have everything but the kitchen sink in tech, which is fine in terms of balance (since everyone can use them), but boring and not entirely realistic.

Too hard to balance it right, let’s use what the game provide us. I think it’s more boring to check all the numbers every time, i want to make this a challenge to express creativity.
Speaking of which:

The car is only for my son, you need to covince both because i pay.
And remember[quote=“F17Francesco, post:1, topic:20246”]
Not too big (parking space is limited)
[/quote]

The volvo can be something, but you are sure a full size american saloon will be the right choice for the street of an italian city?

Apart from the power to weight ratio (as @ramthecowy noted), be sure to put reclining seats;
If you know what i mean :wink:

1 Like

I would stress again that using only price estimate reduces engineering creativity because there is usually no reason to try and use lower tech combinations and try to squeeze more out of them. E.g. I would be surprised if someone can make an engine besides DOHC 4v or 5v that is competitive, because their difficulty in production and engineering isn’t really accounted for and so you get their advantages for cheap.

But it’s your competition, of course. :slight_smile:

I told you my opinion on the subject, let’s see what other people think about it.

I like that idea, so much so that I introduced it on the CSR round I ran recently. I would like to see it being used more and more often, as it helps bring a layer of realism, by requiring us to do realistic choices, which aren’t warranted only by limiting costs.

However, I think that each and everyone has the liberty to decide which rules to enforce or not. It is also worth mentioning that a few entries seem to have been submitted already, and changing the rules once that is the case would cause complications to those people.

4 Likes

So, let’s find a compromise. Penalizing engineering time. Do you think it’s fair to add 100$ of price for each month of engineering more than 145? Using only the sum of engine and car engineeering time?
For the cars already submited, one is slightly over (but i won’t penalize him), and the other is perfectly in the limit (actually i’ve modelled the limit around his submission).

2 Likes

Indeed, and people like me expect a 50% increase over the real world and 50% increas in Automation world again :joy: so I know your pain, despite being the cause of it.

2 Likes

There is no need for compromise, do whatever you want, I don’t think many entrants would care if it was left as-is. Balancing PU/ET when making a competition does seem a bit difficult.

1 Like

It’s a compromise because you (and other people, judjuning from the likes) requested a limit on ET and PU. I still think it’s too much a complication. I think this is a good compromise to make this competition enjoyable to more people. Maybe my ideas are old but I still believe in democracy.

Oh but it isn’t full-size, its a compact à la Rambler American, and those were roughly the same size as a Jetta/Passat, except with slightly better visibility. The real Problem with a 50 year old car will be spare parts availability and the total Lack of safety. But hey it has style and a Front bench seat :wink:

4 Likes

Thing is nowadays even run-of-the-mill city cars like the Sandero, Fiesta, Up!, etc etc all have DOHC. In 2017 anyway, there is not that much of a difference between DOHC and SOHC in game when looking at the bigger picture. Just because it’s a beginners car doesn’t mean it has to be outdated or low-tech.

2 Likes

is this EITHER or BOTH??

The car must have less than 70kW AND the power to weight ratio must be lower than 55 kW/t.

I’ve changed in the first topic, it was litteraly traduced from italian, but bureaucratic language is made to be muddler.

1 Like

I’ve built 5 cars and 4 engines for this ruleset so far and with the limitations placed on max HP and HP/ton there has not been much difference in price, PU, and ET, between SOHC and DOHC, even adding turbos didn’t change much. I haven’t used quality sliders on any of my builds so far, I haven’t seen the need to.