Group B Rally

the audi Quattro GT made around 500 horsepower, let’s see how high we can go.

You may want to reconfigure these regulations. Namely because of the reliability deal; You’re outright not going to make a competitive performance vehicle that has that level of reliability in these conditions, without making it impossibly expensive to produce. Besides, Gr. B cars were often terribly unreliable.

To ensure competitiveness, realism, and not just everyone maxing the quali sliders out, I’d personally suggest a 150 Prod. Unit limit for the engines, and a 250 Prod. Unit for the car itself.

I’d personally put engine reliability at 20 minimum. Because realistically, you weren’t getting reliability out of a 2.1 Turbo revving to the moon and producing more boost than a space shuttle.

Those are just suggestions.

Mind you, I’ll probably enter with an Evo 2 version of my Type 507.

Agreed on the reliability. It’s going to be a struggle to get a reliability of over 20 in most of these cars and actually run engines at Group B power levels.

However, given what Group B really involved and symbolised, I would respectfully disagree that we need to place a production unit limit on the engines or cars. I would prefer free rein to go nuts :slight_smile:

That said, as it is, I’ve now realised that in 1986 spec, it’s not going to be easy to produce the kind of power outputs I like, so I’m less likely to enter this and more likely to attempt to finish my own commitments!

[quote=“strop”]Agreed on the reliability. It’s going to be a struggle to get a reliability of over 20 in most of these cars and actually run engines at Group B power levels.

However, given what Group B really involved and symbolised, I would respectfully disagree that we need to place a production unit limit on the engines or cars. I would prefer free rein to go nuts :slight_smile:

That said, as it is, I’ve now realised that in 1986 spec, it’s not going to be easy to produce the kind of power outputs I like, so I’m less likely to enter this and more likely to attempt to finish my own commitments![/quote]

Theoretically you may be able to crack near one thousand horses in the large 2857cc class. As far as the lower classes go, in fact, the Type 507 Evo 2 now produces 540 horsepower, and yet remains in the 2.1 litre classification. Albeit it can’t do anything but go sideways, so it’s in no danger of winning any of these.

(Speaking of, Strop, if you’d like to give setting it up a go, as I know you like your power with a little bit of car, and not the other way around, I can loan you one of the few priceless 507’s that didn’t end up split in half around a tree.)

Yeah that’s the thing. Reliability aside, I can crack about 8-900 in the max classification (turbo, of course, the NA class comes nowhere close), making them somewhat more akin to a Pikes Peak Time Attack car. But the lower classifications… they’re just too close to the real world conditions :stuck_out_tongue:

(That said, if you would like to send me an engine, I’d be more than happy to set up the chassis, just tell me what kind of body you would prefer.)

Also noting that (If the reliability requirement is tweaked, which is going to sort of be a requirement for me to enter currently.) I will “sell” engines to those who might want to run my loony Super Six engine.

So what kind of tires are you lot using?

I am juicing 350hp out of a 4.0 ohv v8, becareful my MadCab is equipped with 4WD

I was almost like “Wait what, only that much power?”

Then I noticed you said OHV.

[quote=“CNSpots1”]

I was almost like “Wait what, only that much power?”

Then I noticed you said OHV.[/quote]

I am going for control over speed… I may not able to putpace the rivals but I’d try to out handle them

I find the rules very confusing.
I cannot make tyres with 381mm with in automation at all…

Max i can do is a 280/50 R17…!

I think its sensible to demand a minimum amount of off road capability so its either offf roadd tires or offroad suspension or both

We should do this, otherwise its just a road car race.

Gave it a go in the unlimited class (see attached)

716.8kw
70.5 reliability (27.6 for engine)
Sportiness is 81.1 but if I decrease real tyres is get ~87 (Even though my high speed cornering g-force drops from 1.5 to 1.4).

FYI, you shouldn’t post power ratings and such (as I learned), kinda ruins it a little.

If Subaru can race a wagon, Prato Motor Company is going to race a wagon!

Them wings tho

I,ll bring this big lad to compete among the 4 liter class… packs 4wd

[quote=“Microwave”]

We should do this, otherwise its just a road car race.[/quote]

Actually, that’d be sort of redundant, allow me to explain; Group B also ran on road segments as well. And we don’t have any offroad tracks…

…And most race cars had adjustable suspension.

…And you can change the tires/tyres on any sort of car fairly easily. Group B cars ran street tires for rallies on tarmac, and they ran off-road tires when those were preferable.

…And most Group B cars weren’t off-road vehicles at all, they were practically just wedge sports cars and hatchbacks with massive turbochargers, 4WD, and a person with serious testicular/ovarian fortitude in the drivers’ seat.

So I don’t see how forcing a minimum off-road capability adds to the authenticity of the competition at all, collectively all it would do is slow down everyone’s times because they’d be sacrificing proper setup to meet an entirely redundant requirement. And then furthermore it’ll require some people to just outright not enter, such as myself, and although I am in no way competitive with my current car, I’d still like take part in a competition that isn’t saturated with obscure rules.

fair enough