How is the weight of a car calculated in Automation?

This question came to my mind when I tried to design a supercar. Yesterday I made some experimental cars from supercar bodies - everything as light as possible, with 25kg engine and 5kJ/s of cooling (only one mini grille fxture) - to check bare bodies weight and aerodynamical efficiency. Bigger McLaren body with this equipment turned out to weight around 530kg made of carbon fiber. Today I tried (again…) to make a supercar with this body and… it weights around 1200kg. From rough calculations (and checking weight of all equipment) it seems that 400kg or so came out of nowhere, so for experiment I swapped engine (~180kg) for that 25kg test one. And 400kg really came out of nowhere, because with everything identical but 155kg lighter engine the whole car weights… 560kg less! How?! I realise that drivetrain for a +1000HP engine will be different than for a 5HP engine, but 400kg? Come on, that riddiculous.

1 Like

Gearbox is scaled with the torque, there you have many kilos.

A 900nm gearbox can be as heavy as 100kg. Look not at the HP but at the torque numbers.

That’s not the gearbox - I checked its weight and with +1000HP engine it was ~120kg. Of course it is 10 times lighter with 5HP engine, but that’s still far from 400 kilos… But yeah, I forgot about that. So still 300kg to explain.

I’m not sure I’m seeing the problem here. A hypercar with 1000bhp weighing 1250kg seems just about right. I remember for my 2000Nm cars I calculated the gearbox to weigh as much as 490kg, but that was a long time ago.

How are you actually weighing all the equipment?

Maybe the chassie needs to be heavier(stronger) with more engine. Try to put a bigblock v8 in a Micra.:grin:

Just checking the numbers the game shows me in part’s description.

1 Like