I can't decide where to put this, so I hope I don't get flak

This is somewhere inbetween suggestions, and modding…

What about modding bodies?
I really want a super lightweight chassis, like an open wheel early 1960s looking formula 1 car (Which of course can have aero added to it if you like)
Maybe an engine capacity that gets too large around a 3.0 liter V8 or so?

I just want to make something that weighs 500 LBs with a 40 HP Volkswagen Beetle IL-4 equivalent that’ll do 0-60 in 5 seconds…

I’m fairly certain we aren’t doing open-wheeler stuff as that wouldn’t be particularly relevant to production car… however, there is talk of putting in a few ultralight chassis in the form of K-car (fun-size) bodies, and I imagine they’d have pretty small engine bay capacities.

Unfortunately, as far as I recall, there will be no open-wheeled bodies.

The reasoning being moreso they would not work with the current chassis and car design system, requiring a complete redesign of the platform creator, something entirely pointless as there are no Formula 1 style street cars, save for the Light Car Company Rocket and Caparo T1.

The closest you may get is with a spaceframe chass and (if the devs add them, which I’m personally hoping they will)a 60’s prototype/supercar body similar to a Ferrari 330 P4, or Porsche 917K. Both of which being incredibly lightweight, to near Formula 1 extents with the 330 P4, which weighed under 800 kilos with a 4.0 litre V12!

Likewise you may(But do NOT take my word for it, as it’s extremely hopeful speculation) see a sort of streetified version of a Group C or LMP shell available, allowing you to create your futuristic hypercar madness.

wait… so Caterham, Westfield and Lotus 7 look-alikes won’t make it?

They’re not exactly mainstream.
Aren’t a lot of caterham’s kit built too?

you can get them as a kit, but most are assembled by themselves

Nononono nobody read it right.
I mean as a mod.
If someone MODDED a chassis.

It would be hard to mod, as the game handles chassis a different way now as those type of cars have, I think. Im no expert on the current game engine and programming the developers use, though.

I do believe that it would be easier than you think Wizzy. I imagine that if you give the wheel arches a transparent texture, you can already use wheel offset to get an open wheeled look. One would have to make the body though to go in between. It would look very strange though for an open wheeled car, with real strut towers and the wrong suspension. The wings would also be non adjustable, though they could be functional through editing of the base lift stat of the car.

Seems like a lot of limitations and work for the devs, that will limit creativity oft he players for a very little piece of the market.
Sure it can be done, I dont doubt that, but to make it work with the current way they let us build cars, its going to be pretty damn hard.

I could imagine a lotus 7 (with a blacked out interior or something) not being a ton of trouble. The body would be the same process as before, just with a different texture for the wheel arches, and one would have the wheel arches fairly wide so that the entire tire was outside. I am speaking of when people figure out how to mod in bodies, however. This would be such a low priority for the devs to make it almost DLC worthy. (I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THOUGH)

Lotus 7 still had a canvas roof, so why not make a lookalike with a hardtop, because, we can

[quote=“WizzyThaMan”]Seems like a lot of limitations and work for the devs, that will limit creativity oft he players for a very little piece of the market.
Sure it can be done, I dont doubt that, but to make it work with the current way they let us build cars, its going to be pretty damn hard.[/quote]

I’m not saying for the devs to do it though. MODDERS.

I KNOW.

But looking at the request, that would mean you would need a skilled MODDER to do this thing, who is a DEVELOPER himself. Might as well hope the developers of this game add it in, as it just requires quite some work.

I studied as a Game Designer (graduated) and looking at this, without having any real vision on how the game is currently programmed (I’m more of a designer), but this would take me about a month or 3 to get implemented graphically, programmed and bugfree and that is a rough estimate as I would first need to understand how they programmed that part of the game.
Of course it might take the developers of the game less time because they are running the project and know how everything works.