International T/A Series [1968 Season] [Final Standings]

Good morning!

The 1967 International Trans Am season is just about done, so it’s time to start the design phase for the 1968 season. The previous season saw some pretty good competition, particularly in the TU class between the top two competitors.

Of course, part of the new challenge revolves around the fact that 67-68 was a major transition year for the original Trans Am series, an as such there will be a number of rule changes. PREVIOUS COMPETITORS: PLEASE READ THE BUILD RULES CAREFULLY. SOME OF YOUR OLD CARS WILL NOT BE LEGAL UNLESS SIGNIFICANTLY REDESIGNED. (Read as: no more V8’s in the TU class. Let’s keep it SOMEWHAT historically accurate.)

[size=200]International T/A Series[/size]

My objective with this is to roughly simulate the American Trans-Am series, now entering the “Golden Years” where AMC, Ford, and Chevy duked it out with their pony cars, as Datsun and Fiat battled in the smaller displacement class. Like those years, there will be two different classes with radically different engine designs. Participants may enter into one or both categories. Since T/A was eventually a manufacturer’s championship, the car and the engine must be designed by the same entity – no purchasing engines from other companies. Also, there will be valvetrain (and other) restrictions to stay in keeping with what, historically, were the competitors of the day. Of course, the competition bears a LITTLE bit of my own twist to it.

So, here are the basics:

Year of Manufacture: 1968

[size=150]Touring-eXtreme (TX) class:[/size]
Maximum displacement: 5000 cc
Engine type: pushrod V8 only
Aspiration: Natural, carburetors only. Race intakes allowed, DCOE carburetors not allowed.
Fuel: Super leaded
Quality sliders: No negative points. Period. Otherwise unrestricted EXCEPT for tires (see below).
Reliability: Engine >30, Car >60
Tires: Semi-slick, max +4 quality, 205 MM max width, 60 minimum profile
Safety: Standard 60’s required
Brakes: 2 pot disc only
Transmission: Design your own, but come up with TWO sets of settings (closeness and top speed). PM one setting in the .LUA file and the other setting as part of your message (see below for post-submission alterations). The PM’ed secondary setting will be considered your “alternate” gearbox.
Exhaust: No bypass valves.
Body: Minimum 100 inches wheelbase (2540 mm), any number of doors.
Maximum ENGINE cost: $3000
Maximum MATERIAL cost: $8000
Maximum PRODUCTION units: 250

[size=150]Touring-Under 2 Liter (TU) class:[/size]
Maximum displacement: 1999 cc
Engine type: Inline 4 or 6 only, 2 valves per cylinder (any cam configuration).
Aspiration: Natural, DCOE carburetors REQUIRED. Race intakes allowed.
Fuel: Super leaded
Quality sliders: No negative points. Period. Otherwise unrestricted EXCEPT for tires (see below).
Reliability: Engine >30, Car >60
Tires: Semi-slick, max +4 quality, 185 MM max width, 60 minimum profile
Safety: Standard 60’s required
Brakes: 2 pot disc only
Transmission: Design your own, but come up with TWO sets of settings (closeness and top speed). PM one setting in the .LUA file and the other setting as part of your message (see below for post-submission alterations). The PM’ed secondary setting will be considered your “alternate” gearbox.
Exhaust: No bypass valves.
Body: 82-100 inches wheelbase (2082-2540 mm), any number of doors.
Maximum ENGINE cost: $3000
Maximum MATERIAL cost: $6000
Maximum PRODUCTION units: 225

NO MOD PARTS AT ALL, PLEASE. ALL BODIES AND FIXTURES MUST BE FROM A BASE 1418 BUILD!

[size=150]Post-submission alterations:[/size]
The following settings MAY be altered between races (PM me the alterations by the race deadline and I will apply them):

Suspension geometry (any individual setting except quality)
Aero front/rear inclination and downforce
Brake pad composition (but not size, quality, or caliper type)
Transmission: may switch between primary and alternate gear box between races
Engine: fuel mixture and ignition timing ONLY (doubt anyone will change this, but…)
Tires: any setting except quality, as long as it meets the original requirements (again, doubt this will change, but…)

Races will be run on Thursdays and Mondays until the series is complete.

[size=150]Car submission deadline: Wednesday Nov 19 10:00 AM PDT (UTC -8)
First race Thursday Nov 20, deadline 10:00Am PDT (UTC -8). Track: Laguna Seca [/size]

[size=150]The Courses (in run order):[/size]
Laguna Seca (Thurs Nov 20)
Green Hell (Mon Nov 24)
Albert Lake F1 Circuit (Thurs Nov 27)
Sonoma Raceway (Mon Dec 1)
Catalunya F1 Circuit (Thurs Dec 4)
Tsukuba Circuit (Mon Dec 8)
Daytona Sports Course (Thurs Dec 11)

NOTE: Any car that throws a .LUA file error while attempting to test on any given track will receive a “DNF” and be given 0 points for that track. So please make sure your entries load on every track!

Submit your car’s .LUA file as well as your optional alternate gearbox settings to me before the deadline. Please name your file with the following convention:

1968 ITA - (name) - (class)
example: 1968 ITA - VicVictory - TX

If you have a manufacture/model name for your car that you wish added, include that in the PM as well.

[size=150]Cars that have been submitted and verified legal to race:[/size]
Luilakkie - TU and TX entries
HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Wildebeest (TX) and Bogliq Kitten (TU)
vmo - Montes 500 GT-R (TX), Montes Duemille GTM (TU)
3rayman3 - Saber TAX (TX) and Saber TAU (TU)
hermmie - TU entry
RaduST - Siret Salamandra (TX), Brasovia Sport (TU)
8bs - TU and TX entries
np1993 - Prato Stradista (TX)
Weasel - Blackforest 5000 (TX), Blackforest 2000 (TU)
Hermann95 - LRT1 (TX)
oppositelock - TX and TU entries
rileybanks - Banks AMX (TX)
NormanVauxhall - BMMS Flyingfish TU (TU)
LeSpass - TX entry
Chipskate - Brooke Tourer (TX) and Toyoko Sundiamond (TU)

[size=150]TX standings after 7 races:[/size]

oppositelock - TX - 91 pts
Chipskate - Brooke Tourer - 78 pts
Luilakkie - TX - 77 pts
LeSpass - Trans Am TX 2 - 70 pts
RaduST - Salamandra - 63 pts
Weasel - Blackforest 5000 - 56 pts
8bs - TX - 47 pts
Hermann95 - LTR1 - 38 pts
rileybanks - Banks AMX - 27 pts
vmo - Montes 500 GT-R - 25 pts
np1993 - Prato Stradista - 20 pts
HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Wildebeest - 19 pts
3rayman3 - Saber TAX - 15 pts

[size=150]TU standings after 7 races:[/size]

oppositelock - TU - 77 pts
Luilakkie - TU - 67 pts
RaduST - Brasovia Sport - 65 pts
Chipskate - Toyoko Sundiamond - 56 pts
NormanVauxhall - BMMS Flyingfish TU - 50 pts
8bs - TU - 40 pts
3rayman3 - Saber TAU - 28 pts
vmo - Montes Duemille GTM - 27 pts
Weasel - Blackforest 2000 - 18 pts
HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Kitten - 16 pts
hermmie - TU - 15 pts

Any questions? Comments? Desires for me to take a flying leap? Post 'em.

Loved these rules, I’ll definitely enter this season. Good job!

count me in as well

on my way!

BMMS is on the way… testing on the Nurbungring are going on right now.

My old files are all gone thanks to an epic .Lua fail!!! :smiling_imp:

I’ll be prepping new cars and I hope to not be last again this time… (Unless y’all are better in which case I’ll deserve last place! :laughing: )

[quote=“HighOctaneLove”]My old files are all gone thanks to an epic .Lua fail!!! :smiling_imp:

I’ll be prepping new cars and I hope to not be last again this time… (Unless y’all are better in which case I’ll deserve last place! :laughing: )[/quote]

My entries are now submitted, fingers crossed they’ll pass muster and the 1968 season will see me take home the main prize!!!

I’m noob here and i have a question:

We are able to send a car with specific configuration for each track in both classes. Is that right?

8bs -

You create a car for one or both classes if desired. They are run separately. The .LUA you submit before the deadline is considered to be your base configuration. You may, in the PM that includes your .LUA files, write your settings for your “alternate” gearbox (closeness and top speed, in miles per hour). You may then choose before each race whether you run your regular or alternate gearbox.

There’s also a list of settings that may be changed between races. If you want to change any of them, pm me with the values that you want to change them to. I will run those changes FOR THAT RACE ONLY.

If you don’t pm me any settings before the deadline for the upcoming race, I assume that you want to run the car as submitted in the original .LUA file.

(It’s actually not that complicated. Most people ran their base configuration for at least 6 of the 7 races.)

Just write the settings! :slight_smile:

Thanks VicVictory!

Will we know what the tracks look like?

Original post contains the full track list, order, and run dates. If you want to test and tailor your entries on them, they are all available for download in the test track forum.

Because I had problems with a couple cars in the '67 series loading on a few tracks (notably Green Hell and Daytona Sports), I am enforcing a new rule where any file that throws a LUA error on a track gets a DNF and 0 points for that race.

The three of you who have already submitted cars (luilakkie, hermmie, highoctanelove) are cleared to make changes to your LUA files and re-submit them before the submission deadline, so that you can make sure your entries will load on ALL tracks properly.

Everyone else: make sure your cars will load! Especially on Green Hell and Daytona Sports Course! If you’re getting .LUA file errors when running on a track, there is a sticky thread at the top of every forum for submitting errors, so that this issue can be ironed out. These errors seem to be aero related, so changing the configuration of your wing(s) and aero settings may correct the issue.

I cant load any of the maps with any cars I have ever made. It just hangs.

That’s not the typical error we have. Go ahead and send me your submissions and I’ll open them in Green Hell and Daytona to see if they throw LUA errors.

Alright, not pulling any punches this time. Kormar motors will be back, with a vengeance!

One week left for submissions, folks!

work in progress :smiley:

For Siret the gamble had payed off. By competing in the 1967 International T/A series, the struggling Romanian luxury car manufacturer managed to attract the attention of potent investors. With the finances secured for now, Siret was able to launch it’s first all new model in the last 10 years - The Salamandra. The chassis had been developed in the previous 4 years and it featured double wishbones suspension on all four corners, the engine was an evolution of the solid CLM5, while the styles could be described as avant-garde.

With a small dealer network established in USA, it only made sense for Siret to continue it’s racing program.

Another batch of legality checks has been run. The competitors that have passed are now all listed on the front page.

Side question: Does anyone have an issue with me putting in my own entries?