Kei car showcase

Since this does not seem to have a representation in the sharing area, I might create it.
Some challenges are set with this as a subject, so I guess there is enough legitimation for this.

1963 Yamaguchi 360

A very early Kei, built under the 360ccm rule, is the Yamaguchi 360. With pathetic 12 horsepower, it managed to go 80 kph on an even surface, but seated four (although very cramped) for a few bucks and needed only 4 liters of fuel. Not to forget that the speed limit in cities was 40 kph, and for that, the 360 seemed still enough. A similar looking, but technically improved version with 14 horsepower was introduced in 1969.

1976 Yamaguchi 360S
With the new regulations, kei cars were allowed 550cm of displacement. Alongside a newer and larger model, people that wanted the smallest and cheapest, could buy the old one with the new engine. It´s top speed was now 108 kph, thanks to the 21 horsepower engine. The design recieved a larger modificatio than in 1969, but overall, this car was very outdated, but also cheap to run and very reliable.

4 Likes

New Rigel ITOKO 1998

In 1998 Rigel launched a revolutionary car for his own company on the market, the first time that the brand would create a micro concept. It is a vehicle 3.03 meters long, two-seater and with more than enough space for daily purchases in its trunk. It is cheaply built for the middle and lower classes, as well as being designed as an ideal fashion accessory, being able to choose a wide variety of colors.

This car responds to the new urban mobility solution that Rigel presents for the busiest cities and especially pays attention to Asian markets, where there are more transit difficulties. We are especially talking about Japan, where the regulation of “kei” vehicles that are small vehicles with tax advantages. These have certain characteristics that must be met, such as a size of less than 3.4 meters and a maximum displacement of 660cc.

3 Likes

You can still enter CSR, I am Happy to do the engineering for you

A Euro-spec Rigel Itoko would not be limited by kei car regulations displacement-wise, but it would still need a small, economical engine - around 1000cc at most - to remain true to its mission statement of being a cheap first car for the masses.

And for convenience’s sake, this thread deserves to be placed in the car design subforum.

1 Like

Hello mate! I quote the complete publication with the engines, the Japanese version and the European version with 1.0L engines.

It’s a good post for kei, an exotic market for sure! I hope to see more posts from forum users :+1::call_me_hand: