Larger engine bays

The cars need larger (longer) engine bays…many of them that appear to have really large bays can’t fit a simple I6 over ~2.4L…and the physical size between a 2.4L and a 3.2L I6 can be the same size (See Nissan L24/L26/L28, bored/stroked to a 3.2L)

Its kinda frustrating that I can’t fit a 3.0L I6 in hardly anything…let alone a 3.4L which can have the same physical size as a 3.0L… (see: 2JZ stroker kit to 3.4L)

Yep, that’s because so far we only have small cars to choose from, more sizes are coming later :slight_smile:

To be fair, early Z cars were not that big…

They were small cars, but a huge percentage of their length is bonnet! We’ll have some of those too :slight_smile:

The front on this seems like is should be more than adequate for a 3.4L + engine. I somehow made a 2.8L to fit, but the second I made it multi-port EFI it was too long…somehow.

Have you tried fitting it with the most compact suspension?

Also, transverse or longtudinal makes a difference.

It helps, but there is still a lot of problems fitting a 3L square engine inside anything than the biggest body available, sometimes even when using carbs. What looks to be the biggest problem is the air filter position, that stays in front of the engine, instead of its side, taking precious space.

While It seems to be possible to change the intake position, I doubt the devs have time to do it now. What I think that could be done to help is that changing this highlighted part in the car changes the engine bay size, it would help not only those too long I6, but transverse engines that really don’t need a big engine bay, making more room for the passengers. Would that be possible? Even a crude multiplier should help for now.

I can fit a 3,5 L Turbo I6 in there. The problem is that it has max stroke to bore, so it doesn’t handle high RPM well etc. If there will be bodies with longer bonnets it will be alright I guess.

I don’t know about other countries but Australia had some very big straight sixes in small cars in the seventies. The crysler centura replace the originally designed 1100cc (or something in that range) with 4 and 4.3L motors. The Holden torana came with choices from 1200cc to 3.3L. I think Ford had a model to though the name escapes me right now that they had a 3+L in. So I don’t necessarily think the current limits are quite enough especially if like me you want to be able to remake these death traps with heavy front ends, high power and undersized drum brakes all around :smiling_imp:

I think this is an issue in itself, but further more, if we knew how much volume the engine is taking, we could atleast reduce the engine to the size that the bay can fit.

I’m trying to fit a dual turbo 5.5 flatplane V8 into the biggest engine bay, but it won’t let me, fiddled with bore and stroke to get the size, but to no avail… Guess I’ll have to shrink it atm :frowning:

EDIT 1: Just tried a small 3 litre V6 - still no success ?!?! In the BIGGEST engine bay I’m talking, not just a hatch, the engine bay haas ~550 litres?

EDIT 2: One way to tell, is the engine in the selection screen is either red or white writting, red means its too large for this car, white means it’ll fit.

[quote=“Conza89”]I think this is an issue in itself, but further more, if we knew how much volume the engine is taking, we could atleast reduce the engine to the size that the bay can fit.

I’m trying to fit a dual turbo 5.5 flatplane V8 into the biggest engine bay, but it won’t let me, fiddled with bore and stroke to get the size, but to no avail… Guess I’ll have to shrink it atm :frowning:

EDIT 1: Just tried a small 3 litre V6 - still no success ?!?! In the BIGGEST engine bay I’m talking, not just a hatch, the engine bay haas ~550 litres?

EDIT 2: One way to tell, is the engine in the selection screen is either red or white writting, red means its too large for this car, white means it’ll fit.[/quote]

Also when you’re revising an engine from within the car designer it’ll show you the coloured arrows showing what dimensions it fits in and what it doesn’t.

The design workflow in the finished game will have you designing the car first then choosing, designing or redesigning the engine after that.

I built an engine for one of the hatchbacks, that was at the limit for the height but when in was in the car it only came half way up the engine bay