Laser ignition

Could you add laser ignition? say starting from year 2018 to 2020? this new technology could raise engine efficiency by 27% i would like to see this boost to our already really efficient engines.

:open_mouth:

I just googled this and it’s actually a thing, wow.
But yeah, nice try but this will never be added.

At least, not at this stage, mainly because that would be prospective tech. Give it a few years and see if it really does hit the market in a big way and well, maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

Even then, it would make more sense adding diesels before this xD

Diesels needto be added sooner or later.

Maybe an option for a dlc could be future tech pack ^^

what other mass produced future tech can you think of?

sure, hybrids, KERS and what not, but seriously, i can’t think of many things …

Solenoid and spherical valvetrains, as well as homogeneous charge compression ignition, just to name a few. :slight_smile:

Hover conversions of course :smiley:

solenoid valvetrain… only car company using it is Koenigsegg isn’t it?

According to Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camless) no production vehicle has an engine with this tech but Koenigsegg is the closest with a prototype Saab engine successfully prototyped.

Alfa Romeo and Fiat, both use this for the intake valves on smaller engines.

doesn’t it work more like VTEC in it’s core idea?

It doesn’t have to kick in, you can seamlessly adjust the valve lift and duration through out the rev range, as well as either partially close or fully close a intake valve at light load to further boost efficiency like the 3 stage vtec-e system.

No. The difference between a cam-driven and camless valvetrain is more like the difference between a distributor and coil-on-spark ignition - with a distributor you have a spark coil which sends electricity to a spark by mechanically bridging a contact as it spins, and timing is adjusted for the entire engine by advancing or retarding the rotor’s angle. With coil-on-spark ignition, the coil sits on top of the spark it controls and the ECU commands the coil to generate a spark independently of the other pistons’ coils.

Likewise, with a camless valvetrain the valves are not mechanically connected to each other, and it is therefore possible to actuate every individual valve with independent timing, lift, and duration, allowing the ECU to optimize the engine for any load condition. They do exist, and there are commercially available marine and industrial engines which use camless valvetrains, but the technology isn’t yet affordable or practical for a high-volume, low-maintenance, low-cost market like car engines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

I’ve got a Multi-air engine in my Giulietta. It’s a nice engine, punches way above it’s weight for a 1.4L