Me and the Wife - 00s Sports(?) Convertibles (JUDGING)

00s Sporty Convertibles

Click the drop downs for details!

Larry Snope, aging American with a youthful heart, is looking for a fun car he can throw the top down on for summer cruising. It’s gotta be comfortable and cool! Oh, and his wife wants a matching one.

Wait, what? Larry isn’t paying for her to have a special car, she barely ever drives. He needs a base model that meets her standards, and a peak trim which he will be happy with! If they look exactly the same except for some badging, that’s even better, maybe a few vents or hood bulges aside.

Brief

Larry and Estelle Snope are looking for a pair of sports cars. Larry is pretty sure Estelle doesn’t actually want a full on sports car, but just wants hers to match his. So, he is looking for a set of cars.

The budget trim should be easy to drive, have an automatic transmission, so on so forth. It also shouldn’t be so pathetically slow that he has to ease off the throttle just to avoid losing her on the on ramp. More importantly, it has to be cheaper than the high end option!

Larry’s car has to be fast, preferably with some cool selling points, like a hardtop or a cool engine. Actual performance is not a huge deal; if it loses to an economy car or the budget trim, he’ll be upset, but it doesn’t need to set a land speed record. What it needs to do is be manual transmission, fun to drive, comfortable to ride, and cool to talk about.

Rules

These apply to both trims.
Chassis
No carbon fiber options. No space frames. These should be road cars.
Model Year: 2000 or older.
Engine
Realism is, in this case, “what is known, or should reasonably be known.” If it existed it can happen.
NO V16! I do not have the DLC.
Family Year: 2000 or older.
Variant Year: 2000 or older.
Trim
Must be an actual convertible, as declared by automation. Conversions of sedans and whatnot is too much headache for me to deal with.
Trim Year: 2000 or older.
Catalytic converter required.
Must be Regular or Premium Unleaded.
Both cars must seat 2 or more.
No semi slick tires.
Techpool
Default +5.
Price
Larry isn’t going to spend more than maybe 25 grand on the budget option, but he’s willing to go as high as 45 for his own car.
Naming
Model Name: MW - (your forum username)
Family Name: MW - (your forum username)

Priorities

The more stars something has, the more critical it is in the buying process. If it is not mentioned, it is not considered. Cars will be judged against their peers (budget vs budget) and against its companion.

The budget car will prefer automatic transmissions, while the top trim should come with a manual transmission.

Interiors will not be judged.

☆☆☆
  • Sportiness - These cars must be fun to drive!
  • Style - A nice design tends to tie everything together
  • Budget - Value - The budget car should be cheaper than the top trim, but offer more than the other budget competitors for the price.
  • Top - Flair - The top car should have a cool motor or some other interesting, sporty characteristic.
☆☆
  • Performance - Neither car should be slow.
  • Comfort - Both cars should be something you want to spend a lot of time in.
  • Prestige - The more the better. Larry wants to show his car off, and he’d rather not be embarrassed by what his wife drives if possible.
  • Budget - Reliability - The budget car should probably not break down, as while Larry is happy to work on his own car, he doesn’t want to work on Estelle’s.
  • Budget - Service Costs - Same as reliability, Larry doesn’t want a super expensive upkeep on what was supposed to be a cheap car.
  • Handling - Larry wants his car to be fun on back roads as well as the highway, and would prefer his wife to not be in danger of over-driving the car by mistake.
  • Safety - If they die whenever they get into an accident, Larry will be upset.
Avoid
  • I3 motors will be an instant bin.
  • The trims should not look so different they are unidentifiable as the same car.
Inspirations

These are mostly visual inspirations, so don’t engineer your car based on these.
BMW Z3

Audi TT

Ford Mustang

Chevrolet Camaro

Timeline

Rules Deliberation will end 6/17 at midnight EST.
Submissions will then open, and close on 6/24 at midnight EST.

7 Likes

I like the idea of making 2 cars at once. I’ve always had one like it as one of my stock challenges in case I ever won something, so I’m interested to see how this plays out.

On another note, are these hard requirements, or just preferences?

3 Likes

Strong preferences, but they can be overcome by good engineering.

2 Likes

I already have a good car for this. I just have to change a few things to fit the rules.

4 Likes

This limits us to body sets that have actual convertible body styles - you won’t accept any body set that doesn’t have such options.

That is correct.

The dual sets of requirements amount to two trims of the same car, with one being the mild option (automatic transmission, easier to drive) and the other being the wild option (manual transmission, more performance-oriented) - essentially a Jekyll and Hyde pair of trims for a single model.

1 Like

Drivetrain preferences? Is RWD preferred over FWD? What about AWD?

No strict preferences, but I do think you’ll probably suffer in some areas if you make an Elan.

Given that I have already made two test mules for LRC, I could use one of them as a base for my submission in this challenge - perhaps even submit them as-is here, or adapt them for its slightly different rule set.

1 Like

Any rules concerns? If not, I might just open it now.

Submissions Open

Please have your cars finished and submitted no later than midnight EST on 6/24!

Swanson 425PO & 437SO

Confused? Me too. Look at the tasteful extra air intakes, subtle ride height difference - or just the watermark badge on the back.

Man, they almost sound the same too, until you really hit the throttle.

425PO - 166 hp - $23.800 - 0-60 9.5s - 240 km/h - 8.5 l/100km
437SO - 343 hp - $33.100 - 0-60 5.0s - 300 km/h - 10.8 l/100km

The interior looks almost the same from a distance, but the 437 has more supportive seats that I didn’t bother to model because interiors don’t matter.

I may have missed the mark here, but here’s a shot in the dark at least.

5 Likes

Matching cars? Aww, cute. Here’s something for the wife :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s a 1996 Yangwoo Meöw! Equipped with 1.6L inline 4. It’s the perfect car for someone who wants to have some fun on a budget!

The engine is sending 110hp to the front wheels, propelling the car from 0 to 100km/h in whopping 12.5 seconds! It might not be the fastest car out there, but you don’t need to go fast to enjoy the ride! And as Einstein said, speed is relative. Or something.

And as for the husband…

THE 1998 YANGWOO MEÖW EW-SPORT

3.2L TURBOCHARGED V6. 375 HORSEPOWER! 0-100 IN JUST 5.4 SECONDS!!!

IT’S MANLY, IT’S FAST

THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN AT A CONSTRUCTION SITE BECAUSE IT’S A MANLY PLACE

WE RICED IT AT THE FACTORY, SO YOU DON’T HAVE TO!!

9 Likes

Will there be a bonus for using the same engine family for both submissions?

No, that’s not necessarily realistic, or a positive. Consider the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, and all the other cars like that.

1999 Yajirushi Maestra and Yajirushi Maestra Turbo

Lets see if they can decide on who is going to drive what car.

Gallery

Stats

7 Likes

2000 LVC LRS6/LRS8

Base model (red): LRS6 - 250bhp 3.5L I6, 5-speed automatic transmission, 17in alloy wheels, from $25k AMU.

Top trim (blue): LRS8 - 400bhp 5.0L V8, 6-speed manual transmission, 18in forged alloy wheels, from $33k AMU.

All trims come with premium interior, CD stereo, sat-nav, geared LSD, dual airbags, and 4-wheel vented disc brakes with ABS, plus 4-wheel independent suspension on an all-aluminum unibody.

Interior comparison

Top trim:

Base model:

2 Likes

@Hilbert Post but no submission!

1 Like

2000 Nerruci 370 Targa/Targa RS

Base Model (Green): 370 Targa - 160bhp 2L Flat-4, 5-Speed Automatic, 17in Rims. Available from $25k AMU onwards.

Performance Model (Blue): 370 Targa RS - 300bhp 3L Flat-6, 6-Speed Manual, 18in Rims. Available from $35k AMU onwards.

370 Targa

370 Targa RS

(Too lazy to do interiors but they’re both detachable hard top)

3 Likes