Mille Monti 1953 [DESIGN VOTING]

I think Google Forms might be the best option in terms of being able to shuffle the questions or options in order to mitigate primacy and recency effects. (People won’t have anything to compare the first car to, so it’s more likely to get an average score)

Idk if I’m taking it too seriously but, seeing the amount and time people poured into designing their cars, I believe everyone deserves a fair evaluation. I’m not saying this for my own design, because there are far more beautiful cars and I don’t expect to be competitive on this front. However, if we only have a photo gallery where people can rate the cars they like, simple designs with muted colors might be overlooked due to not having so striking thumbnails.

About processing, I’m sure some people are willing to help you out by volunteering their time. (If you are willing to cooperate / accept help from the participants. Maybe there are non-participants in the wider community (discord or the forum) who’d like to help, who knows)

I can help with the survey design and uploading the images to Google Forms.

Also a bit about the survey design and questions
1 - Ranking each design from 1-10:
Pro: A simple solution that can be done on Google Forms with question order randomization.
Con: It will be hard to distinguish mid-rated designs since the answers will likely follow a normal distribution, many mid range designs will share the same score

2 - Preference order ranking (participants rank the entire list from 1 to 245 in the order of their preference)
Pro: Will represent the communities common preference more accurately
Con: Google Forms doesn’t support it. I’m not sure how well the free tiers of other platforms are suitable for this. I don’t think people will sort and fine tune their preference across 245 cars

3 - Having an online gallery where people rate as many or as few images as they want
Pro: Least effort intensive solution
Cons: Number of the votes per entry might skew towards best and worst perceived designs, having fewer votes per mid range entries. Also not having the same amount of votes per entry might mean that designs with fewer votes can over or underperform significantly if we’re comparing averages. Access restriction might be an issue, people inside or outside the community can spam ratings.

Other solutions have their own issues

• sub-set preference (e.g. where users pick their top 10) will leave many images unranked while having the same issue as the gallery one. Designs that are included in top tens fewer times can over or underperform significantly if we’re comparing averages
  • pair-wise preference (where users pick one preference out of two displayed, for many pairs, like a sports league). This is impossible due to number of combinations (29K+ :slight_smile: ) If we do a sub-set like having people pair-rank 20-50 pairs, might result in a similar problem like gallery or sub-set preference
  • Tournament / knock-off / bracket voting (where choices are randomly matched and participants select their preference from each pair) requires the voting to be done in several steps (if we have 256 entries, 8 steps) Plus if we don’t have 2^n entries, some would have to start from the second round.

Sorry for a very long post. I tried to present some ideas based on my survey/data gathering experience and issues I encountered irl, with the hopes of helping Der Bayer/community to decide. If I had to pick one I guess I’d go with 1-10 scale ranking, although not ideal, it seems to present a balance between feasibility/ease of application, accuracy and fairness.

I can volunteer some time regardless of which option is picked.

11 Likes

Omega Typhon

Summary

somehow my game keep crashing while making poster even though I’ve reduce my game resolution and graphic quality

5 Likes

McDoug Motors Enters the Mille Monti!

I am so excited to be playing and engineering with all of you!

Light weight Sports car ready to take on the twisty road of Fruina.

8 Likes

Just saved by the bell, I can’t believe there are so many entries for this competition. I spent a little too much time on the design of my can and was heavily influenced by the early Le Mans prototypes.

Good luck to all my fellow enthusiasts

Some lore about the car:
After coming back to the Netherlands from WWII (where he served as a mechanic), Hans found himself with far too much time on his hands, away from the joy he had working on cars, trucks ,and tanks in the army. So when he heard about the Mille Monti 53, he was overjoyed with the possibility of doing what he loved once again. After getting in touch with a few other retired mechanics he served with, he began VT Autosport. Given that he didn’t have the budget of the Dutch military behind him, Hans knew that he and his team would not be able to produce the most luxurious, or most powerful sports cars, so he decided to do what he could do best with the little money his team could scrape together; Make the car as light and nimble as possible. Using a retired 1.1 liter V8 tank engine and a hand built Fiberglass chassis, Hans and his team would spend hours on weight savings and aerodynamics to make the car as slippery as possible. In the end, despite an not so amazing 160hp from the V8, (due to being only 525.9 Kg) when tested on a retired airbase, the car was able to go from 0-100km/h in under 6.5 seconds with a top speed of 264 Km/h. Moving so quickly it was nicknamed Kogel (or bullet), during later test runs it was painted orange, firstly so that the engineers could represent their Dutch pride to the world. And secondly (the official answer) when they were doing aero tests, the car would move so quickly that without the contrasting paint it was described to simply disappear. While not the most drivable, or reliable, or comfortable. The VT Autosport engineers were able to create magic, and while they might not win, It brought them joy to be able to do what they love, and produce the VTA Kogel 1100.

9 Likes

1950 Joliette Marquise ‘MM’

The Marquise was the first car built by French automaker Joliette and this first year example has been outfitted for the Mille Monti. Featuring a 2000cc I6 produce 97 hp, the Marquise can reach a top speed just shy of 180 km/h and complete the 0-100 km/h sprint under 10 seconds.

This nimble lightweight was modified for the Mille Monti with the removal of the small rear seats and extension of the trunk to fit two spare tires. The hood latch was replaced with straps, additional lights were added to the grille, and removable plexiglas covers were installed over the headlights.

28 Likes

Mara Tovarysh 1.1

Still infected by the racing bug after their road racing exploits in Letara, the Mara leadership team comrades decided to enter a single regular production model - albeit tuned - of their Tovarysh into the competition (with special Archanan government approval, of course).

8 Likes

Revuelto Castanya 190MM '50

From the latest creation of Antonio Revuelto, here comes the new Revuelto Castanya!

Shown here is the base colour Nuevo Azul

Antonio Revuelto was born in the great city of Barcelona. Always surrounded by his grandfather’s car when he was young, he would always try and tinker with them and see what works and what didn’t. Now motivated, filled with some sort of purpose to go, and make his project car into working order, decided to make this into reality.

Technical Specs

The Castanya MM is built on top of a space frame chassis with aluminium body panels and has double wishbone front and rear. Giving you comfort and performance all in one place. Nevertheless, with its heavier weight of 782KG and being front mid-engine, it gives out a 60/40 weight distribution. It’s surprisingly quite agile and can oversteer if you don’t know how to control it.

Styling was a huge factor especially for the skilled sculptor Revuelto.

Having said that Revuelto decided to call the car “Castanya” due to the long nose looking like the popular chestnut in Catalunya. There are several styling cues that make the car look refined such as the front end with the bumpers flanking the grille, the way the screws on the car are all slightly misaligned giving you that feel that this car is home built or how the rear is sculpted to accentuate the curves of the car.
Overall, it makes the car look soft and aerodynamic while still looking like a piece of art no matter the exposed screws.

Inside the hood is a different story. The 2L Straight 6 DOHC which has a whopping 186hp and revving to 7900 RPM thanks to its DCOE triple carburetted setup. It propels the car from 0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds, and it tops out at 200km/h plenty fast for the narrow roads that await the Castanya.

Castanya MM also features some creature comforts inside the interior such as:
standard AM radio, sports seats, premium wooden steering wheel, and an interesting dashboard with some of the gauges being borrowed from more standard cars. All of which will be necessary for the long and gruelling task that will be the Mile Monti.

Antonio Revuelto is excited to participate in the Mille Monti and if he doesn’t win, he will least have his car look stylish doing the race!

11 Likes

Litmus 2000 Sport Coupe

First time joining a race, the 2000SC is my entry into the 1301-2000cc Sport category.

24 Likes

I’m looking at your engine and performance specs and just thinking: how?

Seems more close to +2000cc performance.

2 Likes

Cowabunga

Hey, how did you make that cool graphic ? I would like to make one of my car too !

Edgewater Monaco

Gallery

Special Thanks:

To @moroza for great engineering, interior design, and design advice. Without his input this car would not be the same.

To @Der_Bayer for his incredible generosity, allowing this to be submitted, as well as his incredible handling of this challenge.

And to Viewers Like You. Thank you.

24 Likes

@RGSracing
Trust me I have no idea XD, I had to quadruple check to maker sure that I didn’t mess anything up.

But The bear bones is a Flat Crank V8 Cast iron block, If you make it 1099cc and then bump up the quality to +15 and then after a cam profile of 100. Some extra tinkering should get you to to the 160hp with a weight of 99kg

1 Like

Despite me learning way too late about this challenge and also being away from home the last few days, I’m glad I was able to submit something presentable for this challenge.

Meet the GAF 1100 Sport.

GAF (Geldersch Automobiel Fabriek) is a car company from the eastern Dutch province Gelderland. They started in the years after WWII, trying to mobilise the country to get it back on it’s feet again.

The 1100 Sport is a stripped down and tuned version of the GAF 1100. The GAF 1100 Sport is powered by an 1100cc rear mounted 4-cylinder boxer, specifically tuned for performance. The engine is positioned behind the nifty dual engine covers for improved access. The top cover hinges up to provide access to the top of the engine, while the rear cover hinges down for improved accessibility. By mounting the rear bumper upside down the GAF engineers cleverly made enough space for the rear cover to open fully, while keeping manufacturing costs to a minimum. The GAF 1100 Sport features 4 seats, a driver-side mounted side-view mirror, 4-speed manual gearbox and independent suspension on all four corners.

The GAF Racing Team wishes godspeed to all participants of the Mille Monti!

Unfortunately I currently only have the spec sheet of this car, more detailed pictures may follow

11 Likes

Looks like we are both representing Nederland in the 1100cc sports class :slight_smile:
Good luck!!!

2 Likes
© 1951-1953 Di-Martino

25 Likes

Despite the name containing Sport, I’ll be participating in the Touring class. But good to see other participants representing the low lands! Thanks and good luck!

I see, you pulled the old ‘Taycan Turbo’ naming convention XD
Either way, lets then both win and paint the timing board orange!

2 Likes

I was wondering too and i’ve just gone into the game to try and reproduce the numbers and i can match them to ~98% with the quality sliders set to +15

However it makes the approximate cost of the car explode to 180.000$ in my case which is more than tenfold over the 13.000$ budget. I made a similar mistake on my first engine/car attempt and i thought it couldn’t be right, so i came to this thread and to the “how to enter video” which were great helps, because i didn’t find the right figure between all the different “cost” possibilities on my own.

1 Like

The idea was more that there is no way a sporty family car would be viable in my lore. So it would be a souped-up variant of a normal car from the company. Similar to how Fiat, Seat (and probably a lot of other IRL manufacturers) did, the souped-up variant is just called Sport