Mini EV Design Challenge

Introducing a short one-off challenge...

MINI EV DESIGN CHALLENGE

For those of you who don’t follow the Chinese vehicle market, there’s been a recent sales sensation: The Wuling Hongguang Mini EV. This small, cheap, basic car has become the best-selling electric vehicle in China, moving over a million units and spurring competitors to introduce their own similar cars. They’re roughly A-Segment/Kei-sized, small and cute - and that’s what this challenge is all about. Let’s start by taking a look at some pictures of the Wuling and its imitators:

Gallery

Wuling Hongguang Mini EV - base model

Hongguang Mini EV Macaron - Facelift Version

Chery QQ Ice Cream

Fengon Mini EV

Geely Panda Mini EV

BAW Change Mini EV, aka BAW Yuanbao

Citroen Ami (the modern electric one. Not the same vibe but viable)

I initially came across the Wuling in Forza Horizon 5, and I just like the car. I wish that western manufacturers were making cars like it - small, cheap, budget options for EVs. Not as budget as the Wuling, mind you - the lack of safety features is a personal deal breaker, for one - but budget and small. Sadly, there isn’t really a western answer to it for various reasons. It’s a weird regional market segment that only really exists in one place and is hard for me to see or understand here in the west. That makes it a fun little challenge to run - and it’ll be a whole lot easier and more straight-forward than the one I just got done with, so here we go.

RULES

• Engineering will not be judged, because EV. Accordingly, stuff like year, techpool and such is free.
  • Name your model and engine family MEDC - YourForumName
  • Designs should be realistically viable for sale in some market for 2020-2025. Wipers, lights, door handles, etc.
  • Advanced trim settings, 3D and all other techniques are completely free, as is body choice - with a caveat that not all bodies are equally viable.

That’s it, pretty simple rules, right?

JUDGING CRITERIA

Several things will be taken into account for judging. These include (but may not be limited to):

• Good looks. I’m expecting cars that have a cute factor or that feel approachable, but you can potentially do well by finding another approach. This includes overall detail - note that all the shown examples feature a sizeable amount of molding, character lines and inserts.
  • Innovation and “EV-ness”. You don’t need a big grille to cool these, you can get away with simple panelling on the front, or do something a little weirder too. If they feel like weird little EVs, that’s a plus.
  • Compactness. Many of these cars are boxy, for good reason - it allows them to keep a low footprint (good for price and range) but a high internal volume. You don’t have to pass the official Kei dimensions, but you should be close to them and use your space well.
  • Interior space efficiency. Interiors are optional, but showing how you can fit four or five people in your car will be appreciated. If you can have a full complement of seats and good ergonomics, it will be appreciated. Having 2 rows of seats is desirable but not mandatory - a car with only 2 seats isn’t offering as much with its limited space.

TIMELINE

The rules and brief will be subject to change until 2024-07-23T23:59:00Z. Entries will be open until 2024-08-06T23:59:00Z

11 Likes

Here are the few ev kei cars,

2022 Nissan Sakura

2019 mitsubiski ek x ev

2009 Mitsubishi i miev

2021 Toyota C-pod

11 Likes

looks fun, to bad we don’t have EV option with out exporting to beam.

Quick question: Can we make it as our brand or does it have the same brand as the Wuling?

1 Like

Wuling is a real world brand so i’d assume our brands

Any brand is allowed, with a general preference towards using your own rather than trying to fit into an IRL one.

aight ty

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

BetterDeals ShortBoy

MEDC_-Djadania-_BetterDeals_ShortBoy.car|attachment (92.3 KB)

7 Likes

Or you could take the “strikingly assertive” route without being too aggressive…

Will this be judged via dummies or via the 3/2 (and not 3/+2) seating option in the game?

It’ll be via dummies, and overall vibe in cases with no interior.

If you look at the gallery of Chinese cars (Which is weirdly shrunk? Not sure why and can’t fix it.), you can see that there’s a fairly small area behind the door, which is where the rear seats usually just barely fit. The C-Pod is a decent amount too small, and can’t fit 4 seats.

The Betterdeals is a great example of a car which does poorly on this metric, due to how it uses its interior space (and how it deliberately constrains it!)

5 Likes

Nikolia Atom the performance for daily life while seating four comfortably. Best of all it has a range of 725 miles on a full charge**

A single 550HP and a two speed trans-axel sends the power to all four wheels and has a top speed of 180MPH, and a 0-60MPH time of 2.3 seconds***.

all the cargo room you could need in the compact market.

MSRP $45,000

** range shown is in ECO mode and accessories off, Dreadnaught mode range is 50miles.
*** Speed and acceleration times shown are in Dreadnaught mode and do not reflect times in ECO mode
Entry cancled and replaced with better fit.
.car file below if anyone wants to play with a weird Kei car.
Nikola_-__Atom.car (38.4 KB)

1 Like

2020 Mara Skuter EV

Trying to fill the market gap created by the jump in size of the formerly small Zora for its Mk4 evolution, the Skuter was Mara’s first attempt to compete in the small EV citycar market.

The car was developed as part of a wider EV mobility scheme in the late 2010s in Archana to enhance transportation within and between the bigger cities in the Archanan basin especially in the eastern part around Lake Mara (as the infrastructure and distances in the rural areas were deemed to be unsuitable for EVs). Oh, and it’s green. :grin:

As a bonus, the Skuter was also available as small EV panel van for those inner city deliveries.

4 Likes

2024 Dangao Cube EV
I apologize for the deleted post earlier, something broke

Exterior:

Interior:

MEDC_-sweetener-_Dangao_Cube_EV.car|attachment (176.1 KB)

6 Likes

Heya, just a PSA - most challenges expect the .car to be DMed to the host, makes it easier to manage. I’ve grabbed your car, but it’s something to bear in mind for future challenge entries.

1 Like

The Brand New Nisany EEEV (Extremely Epic Eletric Vehicle)

A legend, From a Concept to a road car, changing almost nothing

Cool Sporty lines? Say less

Can seat up to 4 People (and five if theres a child)

Quite Innovative interior which TOTALLY isnt made only by plastic

Only weights 880 Kilos, Pure 96 horsepower that does 0-60 In 7.9 Seconds, And a max speed of 170
MEDC_1989_Vauxhall_Frontera_Fanboy_-_Nistany_EEEV.car (1.0 MB)

3 Likes

The Kumamoto Minivan+

Coming in 2025, the brand new Minivan+ has everything you’d expect from a citycar.
With a stainless steel chassis, you will not need to maintain this vehicle every 10 years because of the rust. With an autonomy of 230km, you can go everywhere you want waiting only 1 hour and 5 minutes for it to be fully charged again!

Interior

Starting at a price of $12.000

2 Likes

MEDC_-Er_Foxone-_Kumamoto_Minivan+.car|attachment (106.7 KB)

Um… can I resubmit? looking over the brief again, I realize I may have missed the mark by a lot…

Feel free to re-submit. It varies by host, but I usually don’t start judging until end of subs and allow resubs whenever.

1 Like