[PDC] Political Design Challenge Round 13: Road to El Dorado (closed)

20 grand is the max price, so anything equal or less than that is OK.

Right, so PDC13 is officially open (even though I’ve received several entries already lol).

1 Like

Some revised pics of the 1962 Warlock Militant 600 “Survivalist”:

:

2 Likes

Introducing the Illiad Xpedition. Blazing the trail since 1962.

3 Likes

Some pictures of the 1962 Warlock Militant 600 “Adventurer” proving its mettle in the punishing jungles of South America:

14 Likes

Wow, the attention to detail, on that interior, is amazing! Massively impressed. :slight_smile:

:+1:

2 Likes

Mons Sakaw

The best off-road vehicle for all of your off-road needs. Just ignore the red hinges.

2 Likes

I used the same body and had the same problem haha. Nice design!

Yeah, I’m well aware of the red hinge glitch on that body, that’s not going to be an issue.

2 Likes

1962 Decarlis Prairie

12 Likes

MAHG Tau Montagnard '62

5 Likes

1962 Cutler Rancho SW Adventurer

Offered with the “small” 4.0 V8, connected to a 4-speed manual with crawl gear. The Adventurer pack adds side steps, mudflaps, and a convenient excuse to add an off-road skid tray on a stock car.

I was actually planning on making a 60s style SUV akin to the International Travelall/Jeep Wagoneer. So I omitted the premium interior and wood paneling and made this.

The Rancho: When you need to get yourself and your extended family through absolutely any terrain.

7 Likes

Right folks, ya’ll have 48 hours until entries close for this contest. Ff you would like to enter, you’ll need to send me your cars soon.

I forgot I had something for this.

Zephorus AT [All Terrain]

6 Likes

Boulder M62

A militarized variant of Boulder’s new-for-1962 full-size pickup platform. Compared to the civilian variants, it’s chassis is considerably better rustproofed, and it sports coil springs in place of leafs. Power comes from a military specific unit, an updated version of Boulder’s previous military jeep engine, a 129ci OHV 4 cylinder. Making a scant 58 net horsepower but with peak torque of 105 lb-ft at just 1800 RPM, the little engine paired with short gearing can propel the truck to 60 mph in less than 30 seconds and a top speed of 76 mph.

7 Likes

And submissions are closed. Thanks to all who entered. I’ll attempt to post up the results tomorrow.

5 Likes

1960 Seikatsu StarCruiser 110 R Wagon Hardtop

Sometimes, no introduction is necessary.

Gallery

19 Likes

This is the Mercas-Boretti GS62 offroader. It’s not worth a ton right now but give it a few years and this car will be worth an easy six figures to some annoying rich guy who will never take it offroad. In the meantime, it’s perfect for crawling through the jungle.

Imgur Imgur Imgur
6 Likes

The results:

Mercas-Boretti GS62

@Kyorg

So, what is this entry doing at the bottom of the list? It’s certainly not for it looks. This is an absolutely brilliant looking truck, if perhaps a decade too modern. The details are amazing, from the shovel, the tufted interior, and folded half canvas top. And it’s offroad score of 94.4 and 18.6mpg are the top of the heap. Unfortunately, it’s $400 over budget. The truly sad thing is a single tick less in aero quality would have dropped the price $600 without any measurable reduction in stats. Honestly, I don’t know why you choose to use supercar style of aero on an offroader, it would have been fine without it. Such a shame, but rules are rules.

NightOwl Hare 4x4

@AudiRS4

Were do I start on this? It’s a rather weak design. The minus five basic interior hurts your comfort score (though surprisingly not the lowest). It has the lowest offroad score, the most important factor. Using such a small car based body meant the cargo room is one of the smallest. And yet, you shoved a 6.5L OHC V8 topped with four single barrels carbs into it, the biggest in the competition, hurting your reliability and economy. Because of all of these decisions, it wound up being the lowest scoring truck and by a large margin.

Cutler Rancho SW Adventurer

@Stryder237

A decent looking entry, but with an offroad score of 63.3 it is toward the low end of this competition. A 4L V8 also meant it was on the low end for economy. And despite it’s 3 meter wheelbase, it’s not terribly spacious. Pass.

Knightwick 9 passenger van

@mart1n2005

The oldest based vehicle here, a '58 model with a '62 facelift, it is also the cheapest at $10,000. It’s a bit under-powered with only 50hp, but it at least has decent reliability. Sadly, being a three row rig means it has the lowest cargo space of the eligible entries. Had you gone with a two row, six passenger van,all your stats would have been better. Coupled with a low offroad score, it comes in at 17th place.

Hercules XL 6C Premiere

@Aruna

An absolutely gargantuan machine, it comes nicely equipped with a premium interior, giving it top scores in comfort. But thanks to it’s 6.2L tripe carbed inline six, it get’s the worst economy at 8.9mpg. Add in a fairly high price, it gets binned.

Illiad X-pedition

@T_Martin

Another truck with a massive 6.2L six, it’s uncomfortable, poor performing, and overpriced. It features several very questionable engineering choices, a 2 speed manual transmission, and design elements that look for 2002 than '62. I’m afraid the Colombian government isn’t looking for this kind of cheese for this expedition.

Brantan 4 (Series 1)

@Fletchyboy100

A somewhat uninspired suv with a few nice details like the canvas rollup side windows… It’s rather large 2.7L inline 4 isn’t terribly reliable but surprisingly good on fuel. The cargo space is on the small side and it’s offroad ability is perfectly average. Fletch may have won a similar era 4x4 challenge in the past, but it seems the competition has grown fiercer since then.

GSI Amazon

@oppositelock

Statistically, it’s a Brantan but with a nicer interior and a thirstier V8. Comfort is second best, but that comes with a price right at the 20 grand cap. It is rather quite pretty though, with a nicely done interior. Really, the only majorly wrong thing with it is four wheel disc brakes, an un-era like engineering choice quite a few of you guys got wrong.

Decarlis Prairie

@Arn38fr

This quirkly, French looking trucklet features the best environment resistance (69.5) in this group, thanks to a high quality aluminum body. But it’s high cost, low offroad scoring, and smallish space undid most of that for a 12th place finish.

Seikatsu StarCruiser II 110 R Wagon

@Tzuyu_main

The last truck to be entered, squeaking past the deadline with only ten minutes to spare, it’s easily the most drop droppingly beautiful. Tzuyu put a massive amount of time into this lovely detailed piece. It’s motivated by a stout (if thirsty) 4L inline six, scoring second best reliability. And at $13,500, it’s also well priced. Unfortunately, low scores in comfort and environmental resistance, and merely average stats elsewhere, get it stuck in the middle.

That fills out the first half of the entries. Top ten tomorrow.

11 Likes