[PDC] Political Design Challenge Round 13: Road to El Dorado (closed)

Oh dear :joy: Classic Arion: Expensive and high quality but beefy engine means bad economy lol! Also it’s a 6C in name, not 5C :ok_hand:

I’m top 10??? I think we need a recount!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Who knew a van wouldn’t the best off roader. I’m sure a larger engine, bigger tyres and one less row of seats would have helped me out massively.

Good luck to everyone else left in the top 10 anyway.

I thought my off-road score was really high lmao, although it’s only the second proper off-roader I’ve done, and the first was a 90s model. I also massively underestimated the importance of fuel economy, it was originally a 5.0L V8!

Wow, surprised by a top 10 entry, but looking at the above review, I will be in trouble - fuel efficiency was not great and it seems to be more important, and I had to switch from an automatic to manual 2-speed (yeah that is bad) due to total price (and time to rework it all) constraints. At least my torque curve starts high and is flat-ish. Still happy to make top 10.

You and me both, though I knew my car was only good as an off roader. The rest of the stats were bad… partly because I’m bad at the game lol.

The top ten:

Warlock Militant 4x4 600

@HelloHi

Essencially a better performing Decarlis Prairie. Of all the unconventional vehicles entered it has the best offroad ability. It’s 2.5L OHC 4 puts out 94hp and 126 lb-ft torque and returns 15.1mpg. And it’s quite a bargain at $11,600. But it’s small size and low comfort hold it back. And it’s not what I’d exactly call a looker. The tiny 11" wheels and small, high mounted lights give it odd proportions. It tries to run with the big boys but falls a little short.

Franklin Rhino

@Jaimz

While a bit of a butterface, the Rhino features some rather nice details.I particularly like the slanted, cursive script on the rear and the deeply sculpted sides. The aluminum body provides good resistance to the elements and pretty good offroad. The 3.5L OHV V8 even gets above average mileage, though it’s not exactly reliable. Combined with a smallish cargo area and a high price, it gets put out of the running.

Zephorus AT

@Riley

To tell you the truth, we I received this I honestly thought this was a re-submission of cake_ape’s truck. They both do look rather similar. Powered by a triple carbed, 16 valve OHC 4.6L inline six making over 200hp, it’s rather exotic and it shows in it’s poor reliability and high price. And having a 3713 pound truck with no power steering seems like an unpleasant time, though it doesn’t seem to effect the comfort that much.

Armor Prospector

@GassTiresandOil

A solid if a bit plain entry. This Wagoneern’t doesn’t really excel at anything, but it does better than average in every category other than rust prevention. The 2.8L straight six sips fuel at 13.1mpg, the cargo space is perfectly average, and a decent buy at $14,800. But sadly being good enough just isn’t going to be good enough. But, with a market score of 226, it’s the one I’d pick for campaign mode.

Bogliq Burro Defender

@HighOctaneLove

The Burro is everything one would expect from a military cargo transport/personnel carrier. Simple, capable, reasonably cheap, and apocalyptically uncomfortable. Coming in a 2.2 in the comfort scale, it’s this group’s worst. It is also the second worst offroad machine here, barely beating out the NightOwl. And the 3.8L V6, a bit of an oddity in this bunch, has slightly below average stats to boot. So how did it come into 6th place? A low $12,700 price tag and a galaxy engulfing cargo area of 5660 liters. It dwarves the next biggest competitor by 1,330 liters and the group average by 3,720! Sometimes it pays to be a brute.

Angus Appalache XL

@karhgath

This is a bit of a disappointing entry. From a statistical standpoint, it does rather well for itself. The 4.9L straight six features fantastic reliability, even though it drinks fuel at nearly the rate as the Hercules. It’s an amiable offroader, features fantastic rust prevention due to it’s aluminum body, above average comfort, and a large space for cargo. Sure, this all means it comes in at a budget bursting 20 grand, but that’s the price to pay, right? It’s even a rather good looking thing, with it’s side mounted spare wheel and roll bar (although I would like to point out that it should be higher than the seats, don’t want your rear passengers getting their head’s squished). So what’s disappointing about it? It’s 2 speed manual transmission and un-era like 18" rims. Had it not been for those poor choices this would have been a second place car.

Cabrera C-12 Estepario

@Petakabras

This is my personal favorite entry. When I set up this challenge, I was really hoping someone would use this Econoline body, and you didn’t disappoint. In a sea of mostly green and earthen hues, this white on blue two tone van adds a little cheeriness. And I love the detailing on the roof rack, with the one spare tire not quite fitting and everything being held down with leather straps. While it can’t slog through the muck nearly as well as pretty much all of the competitors, it does offer excellent cargo storage. It’s 2.2 liter inline 4 may only make 71hp, but the van only weighs 2,500 lbs. It’s also rather stout and efficient. Sadly, there are just a few more trucks more capable than it.

MAHG Tau Montagnard

@S31

It’s like the Cabrera’s older, more better off brother. A sturdy 79hp 2.6L four pushes it down the road while returning best in class fuel economy of 16.1mpg. It packs second in class cargo capacity. Like the other non-trucks it’s offroad abilities are a little lacking, and it has worst in class rust prevention, but a $14,900 sticker price certainly helps. I’m not terribly sold on it’s looks, what with it’s bulldog snout and square headlights. The MAHG misses out on the silver by a measly 1/10th of a point.

Runner up:

Mons Sakaw

@cake_ape

I’m a bit surprised at this one. It kind of flew under the radar. Not unlike the Armor Prospector, it doesn’t really standout at any one thing, but rather chooses to simply be good at everything. Reliability and fuel economy of it’s rather small 1.7L inline four are right on average, it features adequate cargo room, comfort, and offload ability. Apart from a high price and upper class environmental resistance, there’s not much to say about it. Even it’s looks are middle of the road. It’s just an all around solid truck whose sum is more than it’s parts.

First place winner:
Boulder M62

@donutsnail

The truck that does everything. An incredibly under-powered 2.1 L engine allows for second in class fuel economy and best in class reliability. It is utterly unstoppable offroad, taking top points in the category. Cargo room is toward the top of the bunch and the comfort and rust prevention are bang on the average. Only a somewhat high price of $18,400 hold it back. It’s even reasonably butch looking. Thanks to scoring so well in the more important categories, the Boulder M62 was able to readily walk away with the gold.
The Colombian government will be pleased to use one for their expedition into the Amazon.

Thanks to all who participated and congratulations donutsnail!

12 Likes

Grats @donutsnail! and thanks @Maverick74 for hosting, was quite fun. Really some awesome looking entries, quite jealous of the skills around here and so much to learn still.

Considering it was only my second contest car ever at the time I finished it, I’m quite happy (and surprised) with top 5! Still have a long way to learn era-correctness and realism, but this is very encouraging. I’ll build on that feedback and I hope to be able to get the crown at some point down the line.

Can’t wait for the next chapter.

3 Likes

I really liked this challenge!

It’s not often we have utility vehicules for a challenge!!

For the look i went for what I know with the old trucks!

I wanted to add more relief to the flat front of this van, so I went with a exteriorised radiator like in these two.
typeh_46_1620x1000

And for the lights, I wanted to go Saviem style !

Saviem-SG2-1967-1

Congatulation to the winner, going doorless wasn’t in my mind!! Mehari style was the way!!

1 Like

Pretty awesome challenge and congrats to the winner, the level of the submissions has been pretty high.
My van was pretty distinguishable but that wasn´t enough, good to know for the next round

1 Like

Thanks a lot to @Maverick74 for hosting the challenge.

Slightly disappointed in 9th but, after seeing the top 8, yeah…9th was about right.

Congratulations to Donut!

See you next time.

I will pass on hosting the next round.

I do have some ideas cooking in my brain, so I’d be happy to host the next round if people are happy to wait until late in the weekend/early next week for the brief.

3 Likes

I’m certainly OK with that.