Power to the People - 60s Budget Muscle [RESULTS]

Yeah, I know. Honestly, I mostly wanted the practice mapping the track, so i went for the more complex option.

1965 ARMOR VALENCIA RALLYE

Before Hurricane ponycar debuted in 1967, Armor’s entry-level muscle was offered in the form of the Valencia Rallye. (I’m still testing different drivetrains so I don’t have final numbers, but at least the styling is done. Right now it has a V8 that pushes it to 62 mph in under 8 seconds).

4 Likes

1965 Transom_Troubadour

5 Likes

Based off of the larger Renegade, the Ascot Cavalry is a budget offering with a premium feel and level of performance

5 Likes

I’ve got an entry.

1965 Floyd Motor Co Sidewinder Special

The Sidewinder follows a simple plan of sticking a larger V8 from a bigger car into the rails of the a smaller one with decent handling chops. The result:

More Pics

(upload://aog4PKCjLXyHAXmW95a8WVUSu46.jpeg)

The engine:

The other part of the power to weight equation - this ride weighs under 3,000 lbs with 4 full seats.

Now, this has an air dam up front like a lot of cars did. I did this for aesthetics and not downforce, but it will change the airflow. Before I submit, is this “legal” per the rules?

4 Likes

As long as front and rear downforce are both equal to zero (or less), it’s OK.

Copy that, yeah there’s no impact to the positive.

Well, I’ve received 3 .car files in my DMs and done a writeup for each of them. Two days until deadline!

Mine is all ready and exported. Just have to send it in when i get home.

2 Likes
7 Likes

that looks sickkkkkk

Globus Chief Cruiser 440 Super Sport

For $ 17.000, you could buy a reasonnable family car. Or an used luxury boat with unknown service history. Let’s be honest. If you are a young man, and dying in a fast car is better than dying in 'nam, you want a car that is both large (you want to show that you are an adult, finally) and that makes VROOM - all that for an affordable price.

We have this car! The Globus Chief Cruiser! It’s large and offers more interior space than almost every competitor in it’s price range. Also, the Chief Cruiser is available as Super Sport model. Almost 300 horsepower, and that’s what matters. No power windows or nice leather seats. That Vinyl isn’t that bad, really.

Visit your local PRIMUS GLOBUS dealer and check what recently left our plant in Tampa FL.

GLOBUS - Buy clever, regret never!

3 Likes

1965 SVP Bearclaw GT

A pony car with the agility of a sports car, for just $17,500? Sounds too good to be true… Except that it isn’t!

3 Likes

Deadline is midnight, EST! That’s roughly 14.5 hours from this post.

Submissions are closed! Results will be out today or tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Holy moley, a 7 liter for 17,000. You must have negative quality up the wazoo. (I thought my 5.1L making 247HP was good for the money.)

I have to disappoint you, my 7.3 works without negative quality anywhere. However, the car is built cheap and simple - Globus is my budget brand and the most of its vehicles were pretty much a horse carriage with a steam engine, from an engineering point of view.

Terribly sorry for delays- I got injured working. However, results will be out before 9PM EST. They’re mostly typed up, just need to finish up some errands.

No bins, by the way! The in-character critics may dislike some cars but me as a judge found them to be stylish and well engineered. Good job folks.

1 Like

No need to hurry, a few days are totally fine for reviews. Not that much cars were sent, for large challenges like CSR or QFC even more time would be acceptable without a doubt.

2 Likes
Power to the People
Results
Visual Style - @Ch_Flash with the Miller Mistral GT 289

While not strictly the most muscular entry, it still retains a strong 60s muscle car feel, with heavy Grand Touring car inspiration evident through the whole design. From the gorgeous trim and the excellent use of flow to the exciting vents and striking wheels, this design never once falls flat! An amazingly beautiful entry and one not to be overlooked.

Engineering - @A_Harmless_Fly with the Transom Troubadour

While maybe not the most visually striking car, the Transom Troubadour was the go-to for something fun and easy to live with. The power was there. The throttle response left a lot to be desired, but it wasn’t the worst in class, and was vastly outweighed by the best-in-show comfort (by a large margin, considering the range of comfort present) and a practicality only marginally worse than the Ascot 310s, which was best in show.

Performance - @A_Harmless_Fly with the Transom Troubadour

Fastest lap of the Glen! Finishing just a half second before the Armor Valencia Rallye, the Troubadour proved itself to be a force to be reckoned with. It not only beat cars with more horsepower, but did that while being very comfortable and daily drivable. Genuinely this car’s engineering was nothing to be sneezed at.

Overall - @GassTiresandOil with the Armor Valencia Rallye

While it didn’t win any subcategory, the Armor Valencia Rallye was always just a breath behind. It has a creative and consistent design that strongly conveys the muscle-car nature (even if the sides are a bit plain). It is well engineered- runner up for comfort, and a close third on practicality, and decent sportiness. To boot, it’s got the fastest quarter-mile time! The Valencia Rallye left critics impressed and pleased, and is predicted to be the best-seller.

Honorable Mentions

@Happyhungryhippo with the Globus Chief Cruiser achieved the highest brake horsepower! Fitting a massive V8 into this price bracket caused some… cost cutting measures, from the looks of the engineering, but honestly if it was all about the motor it probably would have won. Excellent work!
@Lanson made a beautiful car with the Sidewinder Special but it was just a little too similar to the Cobra that inspired it for critics to truly love it. However, the attention to detail and amazing execution should not be forgotten.
@xsneakyxsimx had a car that perhaps would have won best overall if the front end had been just a bit prettier, or if the design had flowed a little nicer down the sides. As it was, this car was really neck and neck with the Valencia Rallye and nearly took it.

Guys, you did great. Judging these cars was a blast and the highlight of an otherwise difficult weekend. Thanks to everyone for participating, and have a good night!

6 Likes