PS as a unit for horsepower

I’ve noticed the lack of PS as a unit for measuring the engine’s horsepower which bothered me when I tried to build kei cars and 1990’s sports cars for the Japanese market. While most people wouldn’t need it, it shouldn’t be hard to implement. (By the way, sorry for the bad English.)

Isn’t PS a German unit? Why would you use that when making Japanese engines?

Maybe a Brake HP unit is also needed, usually on Top Gear(UK) the power is lower than what is indicated elsewhere. As the brits use bhp.

[quote=“RobtheFiend”]Isn’t PS a German unit? Why would you use that when making Japanese engines?

Maybe a Brake HP unit is also needed, usually on Top Gear(UK) the power is lower than what is indicated elsewhere. As the brits use bhp.[/quote]

Yes, but Japanese engines DO use PS too.

Well, PS=hp (close enough…100PS=98.63hp). Unless you’re getting thousands of horsepower, the difference between them is negligible. Even at 1000hp, the difference is less than 14 PS. On top of that, the unit of measure was obsoleted by the EEC in favor of the kW. Speaking of kW, 1000 hp = 745 kW. This is a much greater variance and merits being included separately (or vice versa if you use kW regularly). In contrast, 1000 PS is equal to 735 kW.

Regarding bhp, when you test the engine on the dyno stand in the Engine Designer, you are reading bhp (brake horse power)…

When you test the gearbox in the Car Designer, the gears are indicating whp (wheel horse power)

I think I come down on “if it’s easy, go ahead and implement it” - it’s not really necessary, but it might be fun. (It might not be easy, though - I don’t know anything about the internal structure of the game code.)

I agree that metric horsepower (ps, cv) could be an interesting adition, especially since it should be quite easy to implement.