QFC20 - Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday (Concluded)

Hi all,

Slight issue with incoming submissions (all of them so far except @Maverick74)…

The tires on the submissions are coming in with sizes that are impossible for the times, hell some would be impossible in the 70’s.

I need resubs to meet the 1967 or older standard. The lowest profile that seems reasonable-ish is 70-series. There’s subs with 65 through 40 profile here. That’s not going to work to be ballpark-reasonable to the era. Also, 15" are the biggest wheels I’ve been able to find while digging through historical record unless it was for a bigger truck, so change from 16" to 15 or less for me. Also, remember if you are using radials (so far all are), they must end in ‘5’ like P-metric radials do. So, 195/70R14 or 205/70R15 or something, not 200/65R15. Again this is just me trying to be realistic.

So I need resubs from each of you on this.
Other than that, things look ok.

2 Likes

I gave up working on an entry for this because of the tyre rules.

To get the car being actually drivable, I needed rear tyres that were something like 95R13s while the fronts were 70R13s

I think while the intention is good, it might just become far too much to ask. It seems like you can get correct tyres, or a drivable car, not both.

I’ll double check, but I thought that mine was within spec, being (if I remember correctly) 175/70R15?

Edit: It is P175/70R15 90V specifically.

I DID IT. I MADE THE DEADLINE.
With that out of the way, let’s introduce the Mallpark GTG3H-1. Long name, I know.
This is basically Mallpark’s answer to Group 3. The model name stands for GT (Grand Tourer), Group 3, Homlogation. While it may look a bit more boxy, this thing gets up to around 150mph! As for comfort and prestige, that’s covered with the interior (which there actually isn’t one), and the luxury 8-Track (ooooooooh), which is immediately undone by the very uncomfortable suspension. But I think you should buy it. Because we need money. For more possibly crap cars.
See images below!

not the best looking, I know

2 Likes

Some french cars ran 400 mm tyres which is 16" more or less. Though, TBH, I see no problems in a 15" limit since they were after all pretty rare…

Also, when working on a car like this, keep in mind that everyone has to follow the same tyre rules. Driveability might be hampered by not being able to use modern stuff, yes. But so will it be for everyone, so it is just fair in the end. In the 60s, high end sports cars generally WERE a bit challenging after all.

1 Like

I hate to see entrants “give up” or in some other way not wish to participate, because of rules but I have to agree, we have to at least try to keep it reasonable to the era. There’s got to be a compromise, we just need to find it. One limitation I found with Automation that isn’t present in real life is the limit of overall tire diameter. Because tires back then were as they were, with sidewalls in the 85-70% range, some sporty cars ran much bigger rear tires than the front. But in Automation, we can’t get that intensely different. So, I’m not sure how to work around that issue.

There’s also another issue, @xsneakyxsimx just discovered for me. I was looking at the EXCEL export of all data to arrive at the conclusions I had. But you’re right, when I loaded your car and looked at it slide by slide, the damn thing has 175/70R15’s all around. The Excel export using the tool to do this showed 65 profile in that slot front and rear. Same for you, @Bbestdu28, the export shows your rear tires with 65 profile, yet that’s not true. Sorry I called wolf on this for you two. The moral of this story is that I can’t trust the excel export, so I’ll have to come up with a verification process like I did before that export tool ever came out.

@Happyhungryhippo your car, however, needs to resub with correct tires because the 40 profile rear and 16’s all around isn’t going to pass.

If anybody has an idea on how to increase participation over this issue with tires, some sort of compromise that works for everyone, I’m all ears. We might as well fix this now.

Thanks,

3 Likes

I dont know how to increase participation, but ill participate for you if that helps. Ive been wanting to but havnt had many ideas

I get it that it’s a complex maneuver around tires regulation (I was on the verge on putting 15’ wheels up front and 14’ up rear, but it was and still is to weird for me, even though I’m french ^^).
Maybe implementing a service cost penalty on uncommon tires ?
As @Knugcab said we can find some car using “exotics” dimension, so yeah for me, instead of banning them, a penalty could be a solution, a penalty that represent this “exoticism”.
If you do need a resubmission from me please don’t hesitate (I will be busy this week-end, so if my current submission works for you, it will work for me ^^). Anyways, thank you on being very flexible on some rules, and being a great host ! Hope you find a solution soon !

1 Like

I know it’s not the be all and end all of information but if you look at the Wikipedia article for the pirelli cinturato tyres, which was the first radial tyres available. There is a table near the bottom of the page showing the available sizes and then what cars had them as standard fitment or as an option.

This should help people see reasonably realistic sizes

3 Likes

its not a question of realistic sizes, its getting them to work how they should

Hey, I can get the game being a bit awkward with crossplies, but with radials down to 70 profile allowed, I see absolutely no problem in making them work!

Will you get a car with reasonable driveability? If engineered right, yes.
Will you get a car that manages to pull off 1.2 G while being as driveable as a 2020 FWD hatchback? No, and neither were 1967 sports cars that way.

Just like not having ABS or variable steering, tyre sizes will restrict old cars. So will it for everyone participating.

Just double check tyre stats in game, Lanson, because being binned for 65 profiles when the game says 70 ain’t going to be much fun.

4 Likes

I would suggest putting some spacers on that car. Maybe start with 50 or so, and it may improve it stats wise as well a bit.

Spacers help increase track width - speaking of which, are there any restrictions on wheel/tire offset? After all, more offset = wider track = less body roll.

Work within the limits of the game. Drivable rwd cars are definitely possible, you just need to be prepared to make lots of little changes to the suspension and weight sliders to do it

4 Likes

well thats nice but im not prepared to do that, its all scary

Don’t play the game then. No one is holding a gun to your head :upside_down_face: :gun:

But in all seriousness I’m sure if you have a car nearly where you want it handling wise someone can give you the final hand to make it work right

1 Like

FYI Cake_Ape figured out there were rounding issues in the csv exporter, especially around tire sizes, so he relaxed the requirements for radials to not end in 5. Either you ask them to end in 5 but do not validate it, or you check it manually for each cars in automation directly.

So… I am also guessing that staggered tires with widely different rim sizes, even if it comes up with 70 profile front/back, is following the rules to the letter but not the spirit? Because something like that seems very ridiculous

1 Like

I make my cars for looks to be honest, I have barely any reason to make cars to be fast

Indeed, though I might as well import the stats myself the old way, if it can’t be trusted. Prior to the days of Techpool I could move through and record specs on my Google sheet in 7-8 min per car. So that’s what I’ll do, I’ll go back to trusted methods until I can guarantee no errors with the exporter.

Anyway, 1st world problems.

It was a accurate with the width (where the ‘5’ matters) but inaccurate with the tire profile %. So, if he was having a width accuracy issue and I’m have a profile accuracy issue…there’s issues and possibly all over the place.

Thanks for the heads up on his experiences, I’ll just do it manually to ensure everyone has a good time.

Re: your wild car setup there, yeah not really in the spirit. Probably just needs a more narrow rear tire to meet the ways old cars did it. I was looking at old De Tomaso’s, early Ferrari, Sunbeam, first gen GT40, etc when I suggested we stick with 70 profile as a bottom end.