QFC24: A Change For The Worse? [DONE]

Theres definitely some super solid designs this round👌🏾…damn near look like a CSR

3 Likes

I count 34 submissions, definitely a hefty amount of cars for the old man to choose from!

4 Likes

“So, when are you going to move out? You turn 30 next year!”, said his mother.
“And you never came home with a girl, what is wrong with you?”

The sound of a tortured Primus 4C2016 engine was never more relieving than in this situation.

VRRROOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOoommmm… vvvVVVRRRROOOOOROROROROROROROOOOOO

“Madre de dios! It´s Ignacio again!” She closed the windows after the stench of the clutch intruded the house.
“I better look after him.”
“Just make sure to take the keys away from him”

“Hello, my young amigo, here are the latest car review magazines. But since I forgot where I had put my reading glasses, you might tell me, which cars are a good choice?”

BINS
Elkridge Xcitement by @Techerov

"Oh, that is the issue of LAST month. Elkridge has now altered the price to 21,2k. And they did that for a totally average car in such a strong competition. I wonder why?"

Canadian Lapin by @benjamintamilia
“A solid but not excellent car, but the review says the comfort is quite low. Funny, the author has one of these rare Primus Astrona 200 as well, and he says, his oldtimer has more comfort than this.”

Platinum Valencia by @Rise_Comics
“Oh, a domestic sports car, and it is surprisingly comfortable for what it is. A shame the introduction is delayed because of a strike.”
HOST EXPLANATION: Even if you were one of the first to post an ad, you submitted the car an hour after the deadline. I feel your pain, so I looked at your car to give you some kind of review. Since you built something totally out of scope, you would not have won anyway, but it is a rather solid car. Maybe something for Sergio if he wasn´t that broke.

“So… any more to leave out, Sergio?”
“Yep. But there is still a heap of cars left. Well, let´s see what is not suiting your needs…”

NOT CONSIDERED

HMC Vibe by @OT_motive
"Consumption and service cost are quite high… especially when comfort and drivability are not far above the minimum we request. Neither is it cheap nor reliable.

Wagler VT8R by @DrDoomD1scord
“Wait, is that a real sports car?”
“Yes, indeed. For 20k! It even has sports car performance.”
“How… is that possible, Sergio?”
“According to the review with abysmal reliability. It has a score of way below 50. And it swallows fuel like my boyfriend my… well, just no.”
“Too bad, it looked great. And you should really tell your parents, my young friend.”

HOST EXPLANATION: Drivability and comfort barely above the minimum and terrible reliability and economy. However, I was astonished what was possible within the budget and the looks are also on the positive side of the ranking.

BetterDeals Kit Car by @Djadania
“Dios mio! is this even legal?”
“Only as gray import due to the low safety. But you CAN get it registrated…well, if you really want such a mess, of course.”
“I can see the reason for the safety concerns even without my reading glasses.”
“If you forget about these concerns, it does go 300 kph. You would need a net behind the car to catch your dentures that fall off at this speed.”
“Nah, my dentures were almost as expensive as this thing. That´s a no then.”
“You don´t say?”

HOST EXPLANATION: You expected this. However, it DID pass the bins.

EXPECT THE NEXT 10 CARS WITHIN 24 HOURS.

15 Likes

Troll complete; Return to HQ.

8 Likes

Damn, I thought I double checked that.

Well, I guess the cars that passed deserved it so good luck!

4 Likes

Not an insta bin? That’s a surprise

first QFC and i avoided the bin & Not Considered rounds! and on a car that was originally way over the target value to boot. At this point im winning!

Well, since my plans for the evening changed a little, I can do the next bunch just now…

Rank 28 with 89,3 points: Axxus A1 City by @DuceTheTruth100

Sadly, it has nothing to stand out except the reliability that is quite good. Not a bad car, but neither a good one. It needs a lot of fuel and there are a lot of cars with better handling and comfort.

Rank 27 with 98,31 points: Airman Olympic LX4 by @nightwave

The design is way off what we would consider a visual pleasure, but it is easier to drive than the Axxus while providing better economy. The comfort is ok, safety on par with most better-rated cars.

Rank 26 with 102,4 points: Yoshino Mako by @nate21

Acceptable, fresh design with no major fault, it is rather safe and reliable. While servicing is not that expensive, the price is quite high for the low comfort.

Rank 25 with 104.23 points: Agellla Cricket H by @Ananas

While this car looks like a leftover from 1995, it does surprise us with surprisingly good handling that can compare with the best, and the comfort is up to date. Besides the anachronistic styling, awful service cost dragged it back.

Rank 24 with 105,24 points: Schultz Metra SE by @Danicoptero

It seems that the German brand wants to let the car look a class above it really is, while it is not a bad design, it lacks some refinement in the details. Like most German cars, the service is more on the expensive side, yet not absurdly high. It fails to stand out, but now we are slowly getting closer to the cars we actually want to buy.

Rank 23 with 106,21 points: Canmo Chickadee 5S by @crwpitman1
Canmo has a tradition here for providing cars that look mostly great but then reveal to be absolutely average in engineering, yet they are still on the market. This one also has some things giving us a reason to buy it: It handles nice and easy, looks unique and rather to our eye´s pleasure, while being competetively reliable. What it lacks is comfort. So, this is a typical Canmo once again, nice to look at, some solid strengths, but in the end a solid mid-field.

Rank 22 with 107,02 points: Rosenthal Malkin by @Sol-Apollo

While we are reviewing city cars, we could not resist to get our hands on this bargain. This car is an upper midsize, yet available for 19.700 $. The exterior could be smoother, but there is some nice detail effort in the styling. The interior absolutely shows that this is actually not a city car, many individual shapes and great connectivity and overall fit and finish - resulting in unmatched comfort in this price range. However, one can not avoid making compromises for that. The handling is rather dull, the turning circle large, and the small engine, despite doing its best to move the barge, needs understandably more fuel than the competition. The reliability is below average, yet not bad considering that this is a British car. So, who should buy it? Frequent travellers with an own parking spot and patience might have a great deal buying the Rosenthal.

PLEASE NOTE: PICTURE LINK COULD NOT BE COPIED.

Rank 21 with 107,47 points: Fey Micro 140 by @the-chowi

This car comes at a rather premium price, and we think the company spent a lot for the designer´s salary that might now return the investment. Well, the designers were worth the money: Youthful and fresh on the outside with a totally consistent interior, playing with round shapes in a well-arranged style. The zippy handling matches the general style of this car, so it might have ranked a lot better if we were looking for a car for the young. The comfort is below average here, and the high price is followed by a high upkeep, although the reliability shows that the money might be spent in a qualitative ride.

Rank 20 with 107,48 points: Ascot Cavalry STX 1.5 by @xsneakyxsimx

It more or less equals the score of the Fey, showing how close the competition is, and we are - at rank 20 - already in a range of cars that one could actually consider buying. While the exterior is solid and pleasant, it lacks the spirit and completeness of the Fey (we could have said, the Ascot is perfectly solid boring, but wanted to avoid this). Pensioners will not only be pleased by the restrained looks but also by the comfort that noticeably excels the Fey. Sadly, it excels its totally different competitor also in the service bill. Therefore a patt situation between the funky funmobile and the modest MPV. But we think the buyers of the one would definitely not consider the other anyway.

15 Likes

Since the browser lags if it becomes too much text, now the next ones…

Rank 19 with 108.13 points: Zephorus by @Riley and @GetWrekt01 (I have to look up the name again, will do this later and edit the post)

Zephorus is known for performance cars and we already knew this would be a performance overkill before even opening the door. Despite a lot of fire in the oven, it is controllable and for a car this small, also nice to sit in, however, the comfort is not on par with the best in this comparison, as well as the safety, which is rather surprising considering how fast this thing is. As usual for an italian sports machine, visiting the service is not a pleasure for your wallet, but thanks to a reliability that is quite good for an italian performance car, this will not happen every month.

Rank 18 with 108,76 points: Olde Man by @ErenWithPizza

This car is advertized as a car for seniors. Well, that fits. It looks a lot larger than it is, with a length of below 4,3 meter, and the styling is conservative, but mostly tasteful. It is surprisingly economical with only 4,5 liter consumption and convincing in all aspects… well, except for the serivce cost. So the verdict is that this is a solid car exactly being what it is advertized, but it would have to stand out more to rise further up in the ranking.

Rank 17 with 109,38 points: ACMW Trail Hunter CX AWD by @Madrias

This car pleases with superb safety and exceptional reliability. While the front design is somewhat acceptable and alright, the rear looks like a crash damage as standard feature. Handling is good, but the comfort too low and the price is quite expensive with 19,9k, although we like some offroad capabilities unlike most SUVs. What really brought it foward is the ultra-cheap servicing. It´s probably the most rugged choice here, and it is great when you leave the city for muddy roads on a frequent basis.

Rank 16 with 110,85 points: SVM Swallow 1.6 by @abg7

This must be one of these jack-of-all-trades: It looks alright, but we feel like the designers had a brilliant start but then lost interest, with more details, this would have scored much higher in the subjective part.
The handling is very good, while comfort and economy could be a little better. While the purchase price is alright, maintaining costs more than we expected, and the solid build quality does not help to bring it further up than rank 16. However, this might be a fitting purchase if you need a solid all-round car and that is all you care about as long as you do not stand out. No wonder we see some of those as unmarked traffic control cars.

Rank 15 with 112,56 points: Riemann 150S Exekutiv by @ChemaTheMexican
Riemann is a well-known German Premium brand, and you do not have to justify spending a fortune on one. To our pleasure, it delivers a worthy look for the money the Riemann dealer wants. Serious, but not dull, sporty, but not agressive, and it is absolutely easy to drive, like on rails. Is this why so many young blonde influencer girls swear on the Riemann 150S? The parking assist, however, works perfect, and all cameras have good resolution, displayed by modern infotainment screens with many configurable items. The quality is adequate for a Riemann, although not the best of all test cars. So what is wrong with it? Nothing serious, but others offer more features for the price, need less fuel and are cheaper to service. Most of the safety and comfort extras come at a hefty extra price, and the Exekutiv base price is already 19,7k. So many think twice if they REALLY want the Riemann (unless your followers on diverse platforms pay for it)

14 Likes

I feel like I am still in my mid-90s Hyundai phase. I think I am improving though…

Your car is alright and propably a step up in engineering compared to previous Canmos. This is very close here. The Riemann is only 6 points better and is definitely a good car. It’s only the top 5 that stands out, the rest competes in a range like 10 points or so.

Top half, yay! Nice reviews, pretty informative.

Oh. I mean last isn’t quite what I expected. Well. ggs

3 Likes

Rank 19 is definitely not last.

2 Likes

I will definitely take 17th with a car that I definitely was out of my comfort zone designing.

I’m surprised the front managed to pass as “acceptable” in a time of angry angles with those standard sealed beams in there. Sure, they’re glassed in, but that’s just removing a plastic lens and then you replace your headlights the old-school way.

But I can’t design modern or SUVs, so I knew the rear was going to be awful.

2 Likes

im hyped i didnt get binned! 22nd place WOO! Also despite the name Rosenthal is a Japanese company

It was hard to get binned,.which was the initial Idea of QFC. I will elaborate on that in the epilogue.

However, your interior left me impressed. Which counts something since I was once called the Interiorpotamus in discord. But it didnt help since interiors were not judged. The exteror was a bit too bold. You had many nice detail styling ideas, but they needed more time in the oven. Your styling was a 7,5 out of 10, because I saw the effort in it.
What brought the car foward was 62,5 comfort.

i’ll take fifteenth considering i didn’t spend much time on it, thanks hippo for the awesome review

In front of the Riemann is a very close fight. Only personal taste decides between most of these. Well, everything beyond the Riemann will NOT top it in drivability, but value for money.

Rank 14 with 114,13 points: Wichsen Luna 123i by @LS_Swapped_Rx-7

If you were brave enough to drive with a German Mitsubishi Pajero to Spain, you might be the guy that drives in this one to Germany. Visually, it is no disappointment but it does not convince us to a 100 percent. Its good, but not superb. While servicing is affordable, the purchase price is rather high. It sips fuel and offers respectable reliability. A good car, but others are just a hint better. Nevertheless a well-made onroad-SUV. It is a bit slow, but calm drivers avoiding busy intersections will never feel underpowered.

Rank 13 with 114,48 points: PZS Pixel by @Hshan

This city SUV from Poland looks like a frog, but at least does not taste like chicken. It is equally thrifty to the Luna (0,1 liter less), more expensive to service, but cheaper to buy. What avoided the top 10 was rather low comfort, despite driving really easy.

Rank 12 with 114,42 points:Amun Asyut by @Sosy31
We can´t recall if this was from Turkey or Arabia, but it is looking very European, recieving a quite high rating in design. The leather interior is functional, even if a little bit outmoded, it features new electronic gadgets, so the comfort is convincing. It drives safe, crash test results are good, servicing is average and therefore fine, and consumer reports state that it is not prone to failure. The engine is a little thirsty, but not excessively, and the price is ok for what it offers. A good all-round car.

Rank 11 with 114,71 points: Mara Xenia 1.2 SKE by @AndiD
This car from Archana does not look great. In fact, especially the rear is ugly. The comfort is below average. But how did it get this far? Well, Mara has a tradition of building almost unkillable cheap cars that just work. This one is cheap, easy to service and the most reliable. If you want to keep a car as long as possbile and you can live with the dull design, this is worth a closer look. Its economy is brilliant, too.

Rank 10 with 115,06 points: Arion Wren X-Road 111S by @Aruna
We discussed A LOT about the design. Some considered it brilliantly progressive, others hated it. We gave it a score above average since it appears to be well-thought. The drivability almost matches the Riemann, a clear benefit, and the comfort is really good. It is safe, sips fuel, and makes one of the better city SUVs available if you can arrange yourself with the progressive design. The place in the top 10 is well earned.

Rank 9 with 115,93 points: Yojido X-Go by @Hilbert
This city SUV from Far East impresses with tasteful styling that looks modern but pleasant from every angle. It handles secure, but lacks some fun - but honestly, who expects this from that type of vehicle? It is economical, comfortable but could score better in crash tests. While the service cost is a bit too high for a small non-premium car, the low reliability makes up almost all the progress that the nice styling gave this car. What a shame.

Rank 8 with 116,24 points: GAC Rockford by @Fayeding_Spray

Average ratings for the design which seems to be overdone in the one or other aspect. The comfort is also the lowest among the top 10. What brought it here? Bearable service cost along with the - by far - lowest purchase price and respectable reliability. People on a budget looking for something that works as long as possible with few financial risk have a competetive alternative to the Mara.

Rank 7 with 117,53 points: Ilaris Iliad by @shibusu

A serious french car, which means it looks rather serious while still being unique in details. While we like the front with unusual LED running lights, the rear disappoints with blandness, but well, the Iliad seems to be a budget Riemann, being a totally normal compact car with some premium approach. The interior is a place we liked spending time in, it is easy to operate, and it left over some buttons for the most important functions, which we liked since touchscreens can be annoying. Sadly, both the styling and drivability do not match the German rival. But in return it is really comfortable (a French thing, obviously) and very reliable (not so French) while being acceptable in the cost department. It does not drink much, even when we fill Pernod in the gas tank (DONT TRY THIS AT HOME).

Rank 6 with 117,56 points: Saarland Vital by @Knugcab

YAWN! This might be the perfect cars for pensioners. The styling is … well, it looking at it brings my kids to sleep, although there is some nice detailing in the rear, but the front is quite ugly. The Iliad isnt that fancy either, but definitely better. It handles boring but secure even under worst conditions, is overall competetive but lacks in comfort which ruined a top five score. On the other hand, value for money is good, especially when servicing. And that is rarely neccessary, since these cars are reported to have a built quality well above average. YAWN!"

“So… why are you closing the magazine?”
“The top five will be revealed in the next issue, and it won´t be available until next month.”
“Damn… what are we doing now?”
“Test driving, of course! What else did you think?”
“Yes, makes sense, my young friend. I guess, it is time to sleep now. See you soon. Will we visit the dealerships tomorrow?”
“Sure, just ring at my door, good night”.

15 Likes

I’m happy with 12th i definitely didnt expect to go that far but it’s a nice surprise :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like