QFC30 - Family Friendly [BONUS]

Parentheses added!
@donutsnail Oooh damn, yes, LEADED fuel, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.
@mart1n2005 As long as they have a reasonably large boot, sure. I just couldn’t find real examples of those for inspirations, but they’re realistic enough to accept them IMO.

1 Like

Are you going to look at quality, people complain about quality spam sometimes but idk if it’s realism bin :frowning:

I’m going to look at everything. Yes, +15 anything in a family car would be extremely unrealistic. Think of it that way - would you expect something straight from a Rolls-Royce Phantom in a regular car? However most likely a car with such spam would be doomed by the (cost) effects of it anyway.

I didn’t want to hard limit quality but you’re making me reconsider that decision…

I thought the -3 to +3 hard limit I did was fairly reasonable, and my thinking was that it could be enough to give a slight edge with how you spent it, but not so much that it felt like it was a premium or luxury car in among standard commuter cars. Of course, I don’t know what others opinions on those limits were…

2 Likes

idk how many quality points a Rolls-Royce Phantom would have so I don’t expect anything lol

From when we did QFC16, but applicable here:

1 Like

Remember that this was the era where a single carb Volvo Amazon was seen as a rather fast car. Seems like people sometimes have a kind of skewed perception in pre 80s challenges about what realistic performance would be.

4 Likes

I have a 850kg car currently with a 43hp engine, and it tops out at just over 120 km/h, so I hope that seems reasonable for a mid to late 60s econobox.

Oh, right, forgot about that. Yeah, make the headlights yellow, but I won’t bin for whites.

Regarding performance - their Super F2 has a ~540 cc engine making 18 hp and 35 Nm IIRC, weighs around 625 kg, and gets to around 97 km/h top speed in who-knows-what time. They want something noticeably faster, but that’s where their expectations end.

@Knugcab I hope that the CV taxes will curb overpowered cars to some extent, but we’ll see.

4 Likes

I’ve made the final adjustment of the rules and added one about quality - basically stick to under +3 or have a good explanation for up to +6.

That might change two or so decades later, when the kids are old enough to potentially afford their own car, but that would be a story best left for another QFC.

That story has already been told once, years ago :smirk:

As I am home from work with a cold I have some extra time for Automation today, here we go.

martinet logo_s

1967 Martinet Correur Break

A french estate with lot of space for wine, bread and cheese. And kids…

In the luggage compartment there is a foldaway bench seat for two making the Break a two, five or even seven seater vehicle.

Gallery

1967 Martinet Automobil
15 Likes

Chipping away, slowly but surely. Not sure if I’ll keep the name plastered across the back though…

And will never touch the likes of the Martinet in terms of styling in an infinite number of years.

3 Likes

Do the Vaillancourtes prefer manual or automatic? I feel like I might have missed it but I feel I should ask still.

I’ve got some Elvis on and I’m ready to get to work, especially since these sorts of cars are my bread and butter IRL, hell I was working on a 1950s Armstrong Siddeley today :sweat_smile: :grimacing:

1 Like

Experiment :stuck_out_tongue: Famal is manual, definitely the vast majority of European family cars back then would be too. But you can always try making the auto worth it.

Is double wishbone suspension realistic at all for either front or rear?

I know that, from my experience a surprising number of older cars did have double wishbones on the front, but it was generally solid axle on the rear

If it’s in France, anything is possible! But not McPhersons!! Panhard used to have torsion bars instead of coil springs to return the engine valves back on their closed position. So, starting from there, a lot is possible!!

Citroen had trailing rear and leading front and it was coil or hydropneumatic, the vans had torsion bars front and rear. FF cars

Peugeot was double front wishbone and solid with a single or double leaf for the rear. Usually FR cars

Renault had multiple combinations, FF, FR RR, Torsion bars, solid axles, assymetric wheel base… A bit of everything :rofl:

Hope it helps

2 Likes