QFC44 - Ami De Coeur and Levi's 501 [RESULTS - FINALS]

Well…I guess this is what happens when you spend weeks running through probably 20 different builds on the engineering and then put together the design in a couple hours. At least the outcome was proportional to the effort!

I wasn’t expecting to win but I’m happy to get to round 3. Glad to see the engineering being decent, this was my first entry ever and I wasn’t sure what’s considered decent or what’s cheesy.
Thank you for making the challenge and good luck to the finalists!

yay! I am happy not to be binned, and my design does need work. I still need to work on tuning though ahaha

FINALS

@EnCR - Avantii Syrex ST-S V8

The Syrex stands out with its very high prestige, offering decent sportiness and drivability. However, compared to the competition, its agility falls a bit short, and its fuel economy is quite poor even for this type of vehicle. On the plus side, the engine is notably quieter than others in its class, though the comfort level could use some improvement. From an engineering perspective, the choices made are solid, ensuring reliable performance across the board. While the Syrex may be average in many areas, the exceptional value it offers is virtually unparalleled, making it an attractive option for buyers like Jan. Visually, the Syrex is a real looker. It strikes a balance with a design that’s perhaps a tad too aggressive but still embodies the perfect amount of 90s blobbery. The interior features, including the instrument cluster and the charming detail of dice hanging from the rearview mirror, add to its appeal and character. In summary, the Syrex may not excel in every category, but its blend of high prestige, solid engineering, and unbeatable value make it a compelling choice for those seeking a well-rounded and stylish vehicle.

@hjuugoo - Merdosi Farfalle

The Farfalle is a compelling choice with good power and impressive agility for a front-wheel-drive car. While the brakes could be more powerful, the overall performance is solid. Practicality is enhanced by the inclusion of rear seats, making it suitable for everyday use. Safety features are decent, and it boasts good sportiness levels, though drivability is among the lowest in its FWD class. Maintenance costs are low, and it has a strong reliability record, though its fuel efficiency leaves something to be desired. Despite these minor drawbacks, the Farfalle offers exceptional value. Visually, the Farfalle is an absolute banger. Its design is truly interesting, especially the dynamic and unconventional look of the side and front. The chosen color is a great match, enhancing its appeal. It’s exactly the kind of car that stands out and aligns with Jan’s tastes. Farfalle combines good power, agility, and practicality with a distinctive design. While it could improve in drivability and fuel efficiency, its reliability, low maintenance costs, and striking appearance make it a noteworthy contender.

@karhgath - Phénix Hyperion S

The Phénix Hyperion S is a fast car, highly agile and immensely rewarding to drive. It stands out as one of the best track cars available within budget. However, this performance comes at the cost of comfort, which is below average. The lack of traction aids and standard 80s safety features also make it less appealing for a long road trip across Europe. On the bright side, it is very reliable and boasts high prestige. Visually, the Hyperion S is certainly an interesting proposition. The front and side design elements work well together, complemented by a paint scheme with golden wheels that give the car a special, unique look. However, the rear design, particularly the taillight arrangement, is somewhat of a letdown. Hyperion S offers exceptional track performance and a striking appearance, but its below-average comfort and dated safety features may limit its appeal for long-distance touring. Nonetheless, its reliability and high prestige make it a noteworthy contender in its class.

@iivansmith & @Oreology - Tioro Saikai GSR

The Tioro Saikai GSR is an impressive machine, remarkable speed and quickness that belies its appearance. It’s decently agile, making it a formidable competitor even against brands like Nordwagen. The car’s stiff suspension is notable, yet the comfort doesn’t suffer significantly, highlighting the excellent tuning and engineering behind it. However, the safety, while numerically average, relies on basic 90s technology, which could be a concern for some buyers. The Saikai GSR is a proper banger with stellar looks that perfectly hit the vibe Jan is looking for. The sideskirts are masterfully done, complemented by a concave line that runs seamlessly around the car. The tailbar is expertly crafted, and the front design is equally impressive. The chosen color suits the car exceptionally well, enhancing its overall appeal. In summary, the Tioro Saikai GSR combines amazing performance with impressive agility and commendable comfort despite its stiff suspension. While the safety features could be more modern, the car’s striking design and overall execution make it a standout choice, perfectly aligning with Jan’s preferences.

@Riley - Zephorus Revenant 4S

The Zephorus Revenant 4S is an absolute standout. Its menacing presence, especially in the striking Sicily Red (which should honestly be called Diablo Red), makes it a car you could stare at for hours without getting tired. It exudes a sense of danger and raw power that is incredibly appealing. Performance-wise, the Revenant 4S redefines what it means to be quick and fast. With a blistering 0-100 km/h time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed exceeding 300 km/h, it blows everything else out of the water. This remarkable speed and agility do come at a price, however. Comfort is compromised to the point where it verges on uncomfortable. Despite this, the safety rating is well above average, and the car is reliable but expensive to maintain, with servicing costs amounting to a quarter of the car’s price. The engineering behind the Revenant 4S is top-notch, balancing speed, agility, and safety in a way that few cars can match. Is it worth the money? Absolutely. The Zephorus Revenant 4S offers unparalleled performance, a menacing design, and solid reliability, making it a perfect fit for those who crave both speed and style.

@Texaslav - Somervell Switchblade 1R

The Somervell Switchblade is a standout performer, showcasing excellent engineering and design. It’s quick and agile, all powered by an impressive 4-cylinder engine. This car perfectly exemplifies the seamless blend of thoughtful engineering and stylish design. Notably, it is one of the most comfortable cars on offer, without compromising on sportiness. The reliability record is brilliant, and even the fuel economy is above average, making it a very compelling proposition from Somervell. Visually, the Switchblade presents an intriguing dichotomy. At first glance, it’s hard to decide whether it’s designed for hypermiling or breaking land speed records. The car is significantly longer than it appears in pictures, adding to its unique and quirky character. This intriguing combination makes the Somervell Switchblade not just a high-performance machine, but also an interesting and distinctive choice in the market.

@Tsundere-kun - Sauerbrey Infrya Z

The Sauerbrey Infrya Z is a masterpiece of automotive design and performance. The moment you lay eyes on it, you can’t help but be captivated by its sweet, detailed aesthetics. The front end is a marvel, with every line flowing together perfectly, creating a cohesive and stunning look. The pop-up headlights are a delightful retro touch that enhances its appeal. Performance-wise, the Infrya Z is a beast. It consumes petrol in hectoliters, but in return, it delivers lightning-fast acceleration. Its cornering ability is nothing short of amazing, making it a joy to drive on winding roads. The exhaust note is music to any car enthusiast’s ears, adding to the overall driving experience. In terms of safety, the Infrya Z stands out as the safest car within its budget range. It’s also the most reliable and prestigious option, making it a top contender in its class. The only minor drawback is its slightly lower comfort level, but given its other strengths, this is a small compromise. Overall, the Sauerbrey Infrya Z is an exceptional vehicle that combines style, performance, and safety in a way that few cars can match.

RANKINGS

7ht @karhgath
6th @Texaslav
5th @hjuugoo
4th @EnCR
3rd @Oreology & @iivansmith
2nd @Tsundere-kun
1st @Riley

Thanks everybody for sending in there were some really close matched entries and choosing a winner was a tough choice, also thanks for bearing with me. I hope you have enjoyed reading the reviews. Congrats to the winner! Till the next time - vouge

20 Likes

omg I’d love to see all the stats for the compteitors!

1 Like

That was a very close one. The Revenant deserved its hard-fought win for being a triumph of finesse over the Sauerbrey’s brute force, so I wasn’t wrong about it after all. And yes, I still believe that it was based on the '72 Slantnose (unsurprising, really, given that it can be morphed to resemble any 911 generation up to the 997).

Let’s hope QFC45 is at least as good as this one, no matter who takes the reins.

1 Like

[quote=“vouge, post:144, topic:50103”] With a blistering 0-100 km/h time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed exceeding 300 km/h, it blows everything else out of the water.
[/quote]

Does it now?

I don’t understand

Quite simply, I fail to see how 3.8 and 300 “blows everything out of the water” compared to 3.4 and 330.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge the Revenant in particular its win. It’s a visual bombshell that I’m sure does as it looks. The Tioro and Phenix also deserve their placings. But I do take issue with several points in the judging. To name just three of many, in addition to the plain old factual inaccuracy above:

Manual steering tedious on long trips? Surely you’ve actually driven a car with unassisted steering both in cities (where it’s indeed a chore, especially parking) and on longer cruises (where it’s hardly noticable)?

What is the frame of reference for calling this powerband “not very linear”?

In one instance of what should be the same context, 28.5 comfort is noted as a minus and 49.9 noise noted as “very loud”, while 28.9 reads like a plus and the accompanying 50.0 noise not even mentioned. On its own, any of these would be entirely reasonable, but the inconsistency is concerning.

Amongst the finalists, 3.8s is the quickest and 310kph is the fastest. As for steering that was just a note, it didn’t have any weight in judging.

Looking back at the graph I don’t see why I have written that, maybe because of the dip on the torque curve, but still it was just a note, not something that made me eliminate it in round 2. (that’s my bad)

I do agree with the stat argument when looked at numerically, however you made a supercar that managed to beat the comfort levels of a grand tourer/premium sports coupe, all that will less quality points. Without any guides by the game of the acceptable loudness levels, I have subjectively decided that 49 is loud for a grand tourer/premium sports coupe, but 50 while still loud suits the nature of your supercar.

One more thing which I am very confused by and don’t know how to approach is you sending in 4 different files, well you sent it in and that edited the message 4 times each with a different file. I feel like that could be categorized as resubmitting, but as I said I don’t know how to approach this and do belive it should be discussed.

Most of the cars that made it past round 1 are engineering-wise solid.

I would like to say that I lose most of my comfort on a manual transmission and interior volume, the latter not even mattering when the expectation is to not carry 4 all the time.

I used so many quality points because of the loudness, notably +7 body and +4 interior. The idea was to keep the road noise out and give the driver a pleasant exhaust note. I gain 5% comfort-wise for sound insulation, in fact.

The noise stat isn’t affected by sound deadening. Besides, why hold the supercar and GT to different standards, we’re building for one person, no?

As a side-note, I was up there with @moroza in terms of sportiness and many other stats. I would love to see the spreadsheet.

Well, I didn’t expect to get the win. Great writeup and formatting, and a nice use of cost calculators in a qfc which was brave.

Congratulations to the other competitors for making the finals.

Here’s the stats from my car. I’m sure it was close overall. The high SVC is from no speed limiter and unstaggered tyres, plus having a tight rear engine bay.

I will host QFC44 if that’s the verdict, I will try to think of a new idea by tonight (since I’m already hosting AGC35)

9 Likes

Not sure if it would be relevent since I didn’t get far in the comp, but this is my car’s stats for the comp

Also, mine was a psuedo MR2 with a Honda VTEC style engine in it, so here is how I had the VVL set up for that engine:

At 5 TP, +7 and +4 ain’t really any extreme values.

1 Like

How the fuck did I get so far? My stats were horrible lol… I mean it’s not that I’m complaining, just funny that when I try to engineer a good car it turns out bad and when I don’t try it turns out “good”.

Also thanks for not binning me since I submitted everything late and tried to resubmit on top of that

2 Likes

So here are the stats from my car, which made it to Round 3 based pretty much on engineering alone:

I think it’s important for everyone to keep in mind that of the two top priorities, one was “Design Coherence, Period Correctness, Realism.” That’s going to be an inherently subjective metric that’s going to give the host a lot of leeway to look beyond the pure stats. That’s also going to allow the host to decide that different stats might matter differently for different types of car; it’s reasonable to say that it’s not coherent for a grand tourer to be loud but is coherent for a pure sports car to be loud.

So even though my entry nearly matched the winner in several categories and beat it (in some cases quite soundly) in others, you will hear no complaint from me about the judging because it was laid out from the start that one of the top judging criteria was going to be subjective.

@vouge, thanks for hosting (especially with so many entries) and for the thoughtful writeups that I think did a great job pointing out some strengths for every entry, and congrats to @Riley on the win!

11 Likes