QFC44 - Ami De Coeur and Levi's 501 [RESULTS - FINALS]

What? 10053 is seriously the reason i got binned? That’s insane, it’s literally just a rounded price.

6 Likes

Yeah that seems a bit extreme. I can get a difference of several hundred or more being an issue… 53 seems a bit overkill.

4 Likes

I can understand if my car got binned for other obvious reasons, but that’s an insane bin I think.

5 Likes

yeah i have to agree, especially as it goes outside the typical scope of challenges, with an external tool and arbitrarily strict restrictions. also nobody sets such exact prices for used cars, except for maybe dealerships.

5 Likes

This. Not even dealerships.

4 Likes

Fair arguments and I do agree that the reason is a bit stupid. However I stated multiple times that I expect that the exact price calculated by the calculator is mentioned in the ad and everybody else complied with that rule, (and mathematically the price was rounded incorrectly). If not binned for that your car would be binned in round 1 for the sake of styling and tendency for minmaxing in some areas.

2 Likes

Actually the opposite. I didn’t really care that much about actual stats at all, I was just following a specific design intention that was left field.

Exactly like its real-world inspiration! :rofl:

Well, the rules are the rules. I agree that 53 bucks is a silly amount but from an objective POV you exceeded the budget.
When I am hosting, I might put a quality point down and its fine then as binning for that feels harsh, but in a Challenge with 20+ entrants you have to be strict to not drown in the workload

They didn’t exceed the budget though. It was purely running afoul of the tedious rule about putting the exact price the calculator spat out in your forum post. That’s why it stings so bad as a bin.

2 Likes

A,h, got it. Well, yes, thats a bit weird then but the host has the last word. Also I dont get why the price had to be exactly published If the Host has to calculate anyway. But again, its up to the host to decide unless its a clear unfair disadvantage, and he has been quite picky in that rule towards others, too.

Does seem a bit odd having to post the price in the forum, I myself forgot to at first.

What happens if you use the slightly out of date price calculator and the one you put down was wrong, but the car was still legal and under budget after all

2 Likes

I assure you I didn’t try to min-max, I just made something that I thought would be fun. Went in with the expectation of a realism bin.

1 Like

About “Katydid”, I did not change the name of the color in the game, however, in the advertisement I called it Blue Jade.
In the game, the name is just randomly generated by automation.

This is making me wonder something I never understood- why do some challenges require forum posts/ads at all? I get why contestants like doing them, but having them as a requirement just feels like extra busy work and risk for binning-on-technicality.

2 Likes

In my case I always require an ad so I can see if the car has been imported correctly. Saves me the extra work of having to ask the user everytime I see something weird.

ROUND 2

@abg7 - LVC LS25 GT

This car offers very good comfort for what it is, showing agility in corners and quick acceleration. However, safety is a concern due to the complete lack of traction aids. While this aligns with the spirit of hardcore sports cars, you’d at least want ABS for long road trips. Practicality is another issue. There’s a vent that protrudes deep into the bonnet, and the rear—where the trunk would typically be—also features vents. This leaves only the interior for luggage storage, and since the car is quite small, interior space is at a premium. You’ll need to pack light, as carrying a lot of stuff will leave you very cramped. It’s like a little supercar, but it looks unstable, with proportions that feel unnatural, especially from the side profile. It’s as if someone put a supercar in a photocopier and scaled it down to 75%. It performs like a budget supercar, but the rest of the design is surprisingly good. The simple, cohesive shapes work well together, though a bit more exterior detail would enhance its appeal.

@shibusu - IAS Gryphon ST

It boasts impressive braking performance, plenty of grip, and a suspension that strikes a good balance—not overly stiff while still maintaining reliability. The power and torque curves are not very linear due to the Variable Valve Lift (VVL) system, but this is more of an observation than a critique. However, it is very loud, to the point where long drives could become exhausting. Despite the extensive equipment, the comfort level could be better. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the engineering and tuning—both are solid. The primary concern is the price, which is right on the limit for what it offers. It’s fairly average in many respects, and the design isn’t particularly advantageous. Except for its color, the car doesn’t stand out, and that’s its main problem—it lacks the distinctive appeal needed to differentiate it in a competitive market.

@ErenWithPizza - Gipfe FS60 iFI

FS60 offers ample performance, featuring traction control, ABS, and a luxurious interior complete with a premium CD player. Its cornering ability is impressive for its class, and the braking performance is equally commendable. Equipped with air suspension that’s tuned quite stiffly, it still manages to pack in a lot of luxury equipment. However, it seems that too much comfort has been sacrificed in pursuit of sportiness. The concept is solid, but it feels like it could be better optimized for a more balanced experience. Overall, this car hits the mark as a grand tourer with an extra focus on driving pleasure. The manual V12 engine and rear-wheel drive provide an engaging experience. Its good looks perfectly capture the grand tourer vibe, making it an appealing choice for enthusiasts.

@the-chowi - Billancourt Brise BSt

Amazing fuel economy and is very easy to drive, offering decent performance in both acceleration and handling. However, the safety features are mediocre, and it’s not particularly comfortable due to an unrefined suspension tune. The textile roof might also be a concern for some, as it doesn’t offer much protection. Despite these drawbacks, it’s a good little fun car. It may not be the perfect match for Jan’s desires, but there’s something inherently likable about it. I love it. While it might not be what Jan is looking for, its charm and efficiency make it an appealing option.

@xsneakyxsimx - < Yamanto CS-4

Doesn’t particularly stand out, and the blue color choice doesn’t help its case. However, despite the simplicity and basic nature of its design, it manages to look reasonably okay overall. It’s a true budget sports car, aligning with Jan’s preference, though he desires something more powerful and fitting for a grand tourer. It would benefit from more power, and the manual steering, while offering a pure driving experience, could become tiresome on longer journeys. On the positive side, it’s affordable to purchase, delivers a sporty driving experience, and maintains an acceptable level of comfort. While this car may not be the perfect match for Jan’s desires, it’s a solid option for those in the market for an affordable, sporty ride. It’s likeable for its price point and performance, even if it falls short in areas like power and long-term driving comfort. Overall, it’s a decent choice for budget-conscious enthusiasts looking for a fun driving experience without breaking the bank.

@doncanial - Gnocca V8 Roofless

The chassis is made entirely of steel, which means it is prone to rust. By the time Jan considers buying it, rust will likely have set in, making it an undesirable choice for him. In comparison to its competitors, it falls short in the reliability department. On the plus side, the car offers plenty of power and speed. Handling is very good, although the suspension is a bit too stiff, which might compromise comfort on long drives. Despite its performance strengths, the issues with rust and uninspired design details make it a less attractive option for someone seeking a dependable and stylish grand tourer.

@Damous - Telido 6.0M

Telido offers good safety and prestige levels, impressive acceleration, and top-speed performance. Surprisingly agile and rewarding to drive for its size, it still suffers from an excess of torque, which can be overwhelming. Despite featuring a premium interior and a high-quality CD player, it falls short in terms of comfort compared to even the most aggressive sports cars. The suspension is overly stiff, resulting in mediocre sportiness. However, the engineering choices behind the car make sense for its intended purpose. It exudes the essence of early 2000s Aussie muscle cars, a quality that Jan appreciates. The rear could use some improvement, perhaps with more body sculpturing, although the separated taillights add a nice touch. On the other hand, the front end looks fantastic—sporty, purposeful, and well-designed, especially the bumper. Overall, it’s a car that delivers in terms of performance and style, but its lack of comfort may deter some potential buyers like Jan.

@DuceTheTruth100 - Wells SideWinder Anniversary Edition

Good sportiness and acceleration performance, although its agility could be improved. It boasts higher-than-average levels of prestige and safety, which adds to its appeal. However, fuel economy is a significant drawback, performing worse than cars with double the power. Comfort also leaves something to be desired, falling short of expectations. Overall, the car hits many of the right spots but is ultimately let down by its design. While it boasts a clean look, the headlights appear too small, detracting from the overall aesthetic. The side profile is interesting, although it’s uncertain if it works cohesively with the rest of the design. Similarly, the rear design is a bit peculiar, but it’s not entirely displeasing, and there are some intriguing details to appreciate.

@Happyhungryhippo - Cavaliere Nobile Teramo

Overall, Nobile presents itself as a decent option. While it would be a nice addition if it had a limited-slip differential, it still manages to deliver decent agility and quick acceleration. Notably, it stands out for its exceptional safety features among cabriolets, and it offers practicality while maintaining a prestigious feel. However, its fuel economy could certainly be improved. One notable aspect of its design is the abundance of chrome, which seems excessive for a 90s sports car. While the overall design isn’t particularly remarkable, the wheels stand out—though their proportions in relation to the rest of the car feel slightly awkward. Ultimately, while the car has its strengths, the design could benefit from toning down the chrome and refining the proportions for a more cohesive look.

@IncredibleHondaFit - Pescetti Bellarossa

This grand tourer may not be the most agile, but it certainly boasts impressive speed. Back in 2004, its luxurious interior and premium CD player made it the epitome of sophistication, and it remains one of the most comfortable cars Jan has come across. With good safety records and even Electronic Stability Control (ESC), it provides peace of mind on the road. However, its reliability is only average, and its fuel economy falls well below par. While the red color can look terrible in certain lighting conditions, this doesn’t affect the design score. Speaking of design, the car overall looks decent, but it lacks intricate details. The design is functional, but I’d personally elevate and enlarge the headlights for a more commanding presence. The rear end feels somewhat empty, lacking in visual interest. Overall, while it has its flaws, Bellarossa offers a balance of luxury and performance that’s sure to appeal to many.

@nightwave - Ibis Koraci Sport 6

The engineering behind it is solid, with a focus on period correctness that makes sense for its era. However, the suspension tuning leans towards the harder side, detracting significantly from its comfort. This muscle car doesn’t quite deliver on the promise of sportiness or comfort, nor does it feel particularly fast, especially with a speed limiter set at 217 km/h. While the rear design feels too modern for a car from 1998, the front end exudes a strong sense of period correctness. The hood’s design is particularly interesting, with bulges that make it stand out from the crowd. The rest of the front looks good, but adding more detail could enhance its overall appeal. Despite its drawbacks, this car represents a solid effort in engineering and design, capturing the essence of its era while offering some standout features.

16 Likes

Admittedly, the subtle grand tourer look was probably not the greatest idea for someone who explicitly wanted to have an expressive car…
I’m very curious to the stats of others though, seeing mine average.

2 Likes

I cant make a car with decent fuel economy (on purpose) to save my life :melting_face:. But i did feel good about this car from an engineering standpoint and im glad i made it this far. I definitely appreciate your insight @vouge and may the best car win🏆

This car can be summed up in two words: Crippling overspecialization. Specifically, it’s fine for short B-road blasts and track work, but not much else - just like an actual Lotus Elise or Exige from the 1990s/2000s, basically.

By contrast, you found the Gryphon to be a master of none:

And it’s amazing to think that someone submitted something with a basic steel chassis and bodywork:

So, if Round 2 is for the cars that came close to the finals but just missed the cut, then Round 3 is for the actual finalists.

ROUND 3

@mart1n2005 - Valiant Talon LT-ram package

Excellent braking performance and spot-on handling, despite its weight and size. The SVCs are on the higher side and it would be ideal if the comfort level were a bit higher. However, there’s nothing inherently wrong with it—it’s just a matter of personal preference. From an engineering standpoint, there’s little to fault. It’s a manual premium grand tourer with a somewhat American aesthetic. The only change I’d make is to soften the suspension slightly. As it stands, it feels like a grand tourer with a sports package, characterized by its stiffer suspension. Visually, the car is stunning. While black or yellow colour might elevate its appearance even further, the purple hue still works well. The chrome wheels are the only aspect I’m uncertain about. The rest of the design strikes a balance between simplicity and detail, with a particularly nice touch being the rear fog lamp detail. Overall, it’s a very attractive car that offers a blend of style and performance, with just a few minor tweaks needed to make it even more appealing.

@Speeeed_D3m0n - Kenzie - Magnum V6 Targa

Magnum impresses with its great acceleration and speed performances, and plenty of power under the hood. Surprisingly, it handles well and offers ample grip, even for a muscle car. However, comfort is not its strong suit, and the suspension tends to be overly stiff. It would be a nice addition if it had a Limited-Slip Differential (LSD) and an extra gear to enhance its performance even further. In terms of aesthetics, this car is a proper looker. While its design might appear somewhat dated for a 2008 model, it still holds its own and exudes a timeless appeal. The targa top adds a unique touch, making it stand out from the crowd. From an engineering perspective, the choices made are sensible and realistic, although the tuning could be improved for a better overall driving experience. Despite its shortcomings, this car remains a standout option for those seeking a powerful and visually striking ride.

@_Az - Hayato Senzai ST

Good drivability and a high sportiness factor, providing plenty of performance coupled with very good handling and agility. However, it’s worth noting that it comes with manual steering, which could become tiresome during longer journeys. While comfort levels are acceptable, there’s room for improvement in this area. While it may not be exactly what Jan is searching for, the engineering behind this car is undeniably solid. Despite lacking intricate details, its overall appearance is decent. It’s difficult to provide a more comprehensive comment on its design because there’s simply nothing notable to remark upon. Overall, while it may not be a perfect fit for Jan’s preferences, this car still stands as a well-engineered and respectable option in its class.

@FrederikLenius - Lenius R6 T-Speed Cabro

This car packs a punch with its impressive power, but it’s well-managed by the Electronic Stability Control (ESC), ensuring a safe and controlled driving experience. The convenience of an automatic metal roof adds a touch of luxury to the driving experience. However, some might argue that it has too much power, it doesn’t look like a supercar but it sure goes like one. With a 0 to 60 time of just 4.6 seconds, it ranks among the quickest accelerating cars in its class. On the downside, its safety rating and reliability are on the lower end of the scale, which may raise concerns for some buyers. Despite these drawbacks, it offers a unique blend of sports car and grand tourer qualities, which is precisely what Jan is in the market for. The design is particularly appealing, with a color that complements its aesthetic perfectly. Overall, it exudes the nostalgic vibes of a good 2000s basic sports car, making it a compelling choice for enthusiasts.

@moroza - Norðwagen Loki GT-6x4

Loki GT stands out as one of the quickest and fastest options within its budget, boasting impressive agility and powerful brakes that inspire confidence on the road. Its suspension strikes a good balance, offering decent comfort without feeling overly stiff. However, safety is a concern, as it falls below average and ranks on the lower end of the spectrum. On the upside, the engine delivers power in a manner reminiscent of a racing car, adding to the exhilarating driving experience. In terms of design, it certainly catches the eye. While the color may be a letdown for some, there’s no denying its attractive front and rear aesthetics. Perhaps opting for a lighter color like silver or white would enhance its visual appeal. Additionally, smaller letters for the model name could clean up the rear design, creating a more streamlined look overall. Despite its minor flaws, this car offers an impressive blend of performance and style that’s sure to turn heads on the road.

@oldmanbuick - Flint Dynamo

It is a testament to beautiful engineering, boasting impressive stats across the board. It’s quick, agile, comfortable, and properly sporty, ticking all the boxes for what Jan is seeking. Moreover, it even exceeds expectations in terms of safety, providing added peace of mind. However, despite its outstanding performance and safety features, the design leaves much to be desired. In fact, it might be considered one of the most bland and uninspiring cars in its class. There’s a distinct lack of cohesive design elements, with little more than basic headlights, taillights, and a few vents to break up the monotony. Jan might feel embarrassed to be seen driving such a dull-looking car, despite its impressive engineering prowess.

@yurimacs - Bradford Nina Turbo Sport

This car offers a decent package overall—it’s very comfortable, quick, and reliable, with respectable fuel economy and a touch of prestige. However, its sportiness leaves much to be desired, ranking at best as mediocre. Regrettably, this isn’t quite what Jan is in the market for. From a design perspective, it’s clear that a considerable amount of time and effort went into sculpting this car. However, its proportions are somewhat off-putting. When viewed from the side, it appears somewhat squashed, while from the front, it seems ridiculously wide. Despite these drawbacks, the rear of the car looks quite appealing. Exuding a rally-inspired vibe and a quirky charm that might appeal to some drivers.

@Ch_Flash - Framtpton FurnACE y2k ed.

This car impresses with its very good comfort and sportiness, standing out as one of the safest options available. However, despite its sporty demeanor, its weight of almost 2 tonnes and 250hp engine make it one of the slower cars in its class. Additionally, it doesn’t excel in terms of fuel efficiency. Visually, it presents an interesting retro-inspired design. While it looks decent overall, adding more detail could enhance its appeal and bring out its unique characteristics. Overall, while it offers a comfortable and safe ride with a touch of sportiness, there’s room for improvement in terms of performance and design refinement.

THIS CONCLUDES ROUND 3

The finalists are:

@Tsundere-kun @Texaslav @Riley @Oreology and @iivansmith @karhgath @hjuugoo @EnCR

sorry for the hearattack. If you are not one of the finalists and your car has not been reviewed let me know.

16 Likes