QFC8 - Bubble

Make that two competitors without interiors

2 Likes

Seems more to me that the main problem people have is the realism rule, and that’s fair enough imo. QFC was supposed to be an answer to the complaints of CSR getting too overcomplicated and beginner unfriendly, with the extra bonus of quick turnaround instead of being possibly multiple months long.

On interiors, they’ve always been optional but I thought mute had said that interiors should never be required or implied to give an advantage.

4 Likes

convo on the discord summarised

4 Likes

I think people are overreacting to the rules a little bit. I personally don’t see why quote “CSR realism” is heavily frowned when the requirements are no excessive min-maxxing and make what the brief says it wants. From my understanding, the taxing system doesn’t directly impact the price too, so my impression is that if you want to make a stereotypical luxury cars with big engines, you naturally need to spend more to maintain it. Therefore, you must prove that your car with a bigger engine is worth the extra cost compared to cars with smaller engines, which in my opinion is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Overall, I personally don’t see this round contradicting the idea of QFC, as they are neither “overcomplicated” nor excessively difficult. The displacement tax acts more like a tie-breaker as well as a form to promote the importance of tuning.

9 Likes

3 :grin:

As for the realism clause, I’m keeping it. I’ll be more lax since this challenge is supposed to be more beginner friendly, but my definition for “CSR Realism” is just “Engineer sensibly” like ldub said, and don’t do anything unreasonable. These include comically large engines, overly large American boats, jello suspension tuning, etc.

As for interiors, I won’t require it and I don’t think that the people I know who do make good interiors that make me go awooga would make one knowing that their cars would get only 140 characters of fame at most, little if any of which would be dedicated to the interior. I understand your concern, but this time do whatever you want.

As for the tax system, it’s like what Tsundere-kun said. It is to encourage better engine tuning and to avoid the stereotypical beeg 8l V12 producing 120hp with 18 loudness (for comfort reasons). You can still submit a car with a big engine if you want but it better be worth the cost increase.

Unfortunately, personal luxury coupes would be too impractical for this challenge. It’s supposed to carry wealthy clients in comfort too, after all.

They would be considered, though most (Japanese) cars in this segment run small turbo six cylinder (2l or so) instead for extra smoothness. Audis, on the other hand, run turbocharged five cylincers to gain “the economy of a 4 cylinder and the performance of a six cylinder”, or so they say.

I will allow liftbacks, but not luxury SUVs. The Rover 827 is spot-on but the Honda Concerto is too small for this challenge.

It is most definitely okay. If you are confused about something, please do not hesitate to ask in this forum or in the discord server. Hell, you can even collaborate with other players and make a car together.

And to others who are concerned about how relatively complex this QFC is compared to prevoius rounds, please do not worry. I can assure you that the reviews will be brief and quick as originally intended. There will be no overcomplicated writeups, just 140 characters and a photograph as stated in the rules.

2 Likes

As for me, I think that the machine should remain anonymous for some time. So that there is no excess bias. And the QFC itself may turn out to be moderately realistic in the end, so that the host has the opportunity to ban the car. No, QFC doesn’t have to be complicated. @Texaslav, did you complete the latest challenge from Ludvig? So, he was purely on a paper assignment, and no one tested what happens if you go through all the rules. My opinion remains unambiguous: QFC rules should be light enough, to be able to entrant fastly to develop machine. And the interiors are far from obligatory, they appeared only to check out the Automation game chip once, they are just for the soul.

I don’t even know what ‘min-maxxing’ in Automation even means. Don’t most cars want to get high numbers as possible? That’s what confuses me.

To min-max is to use all sorts of unconventional methods to max out ET, price, and other to get higher numbers. However, min-maxing a car often makes the car unrealistic and bad. It may work in challenges with a points scoring system or where the hosts don’t care, but not for a challenge like this particular QFC where realism is important.

With that in mind, try to make a car that you think is good for it’s price and equipment, and not a car that tries to use every last ET and budget available. It’s okay to go a little out of the box, but make sure it’s not completely unfeasible.

3 Likes

“min-maxxing” is making a car that satisfies the highest judging priorities in a competition and make use of as many resources (price, engineering time, etc), with little regard for anything else. A min-maxxed car is usually easy to tell from an actually well-engineered one because there will be a glaring flaw or something. In addition, this game - partly because it’s still in Early Access and partly because any game engine or calculations have limits - has a couple stats that can be ‘gamed’ with methods that don’t actually make sense.

4 Likes

I thought the point of the competition was to get satisfy judging priorities! No I just don’t know anymore ;~;

btw how to know if something is unrealistic? I tried looking but I couldn’t find anything on the internet about 80% of the stats in Automation, especially things like fuel mixture, ignition timing, and pad type, I have never heard outside of the game! I don’t know what’s realistic or not :frowning:

Read the in-game tooltips, they can be quite helpful in regard of telling what is the intended purpose of various settings. For example, if it tells you that a high setting of some slider is for sporty cars, don’t use it in a comfy one.

Just to be 100% clear:

This body would be allowed then?

The rules and priorities have changed a little:

• Liftbacks are now allowed
  • New cars in the inspirations tab (Rover 827 Vitesse, Citroen XM, Nissan Cima)
  • (Most) cars in the inspiration tab now includes a link to a website with all its specifications.
  • More detailed notes on the tax system
  • Changed the opening date/deadline

As long as it doesn’t say 2.9m on the thumbnail, yes.

3 Likes

In other words:

I will gladly accept that.

In addition, I know why fully detailed interiors are optional, but that won’t necessarily put me off designing one for my QFC8 entry - if I choose to enter, that is.

2 Likes

Example would be when you put skinny 22" wheels on your van. That’s not happening in the real world, but in Automation it makes for very high fuel economy. The phrase min-max comes from the gaming world where a role-playing character build is minimized in certain stats so it can max in others. Would make for a horrible IRL character because of flaws but in a game, it’s to benefit from certain criteria. Just like these cars are our characters really.

7 Likes

Hey how much MPG do yall have on your entries right now? Idk if I need to improve my car because I’m not sure if my MPG is high or not

SUBMISSIONS OPEN

QFC8 is now open for submissions. Please re-read the original post as the rules have been updated and details have been clarified since they were first posted.

There is word that an engine update is coming soon, so if that happens I may extend the deadline so you can re-engineer your cars.

Countdown Timer

5 Likes

13 Likes

For the engine size tax, That price will be added to the final price depending on engine size?