Quick Fire Challenge 2

Review Time!

@Madrias - Bricksley Grand Warden: An understated yet stately luxury sedan with creamy torque down low. Rarely has a petrol engine been so resistant to revs.

@NoahC - Yinzer Emperor: Fast V12s are a favourite, but this one’s too loud for the segment. An aluminium block hurts reliability too. It’s a good car otherwise.

@AMuteCrypt - Pentasol Super Deluxe: The luxury is unmatched. The pinkness, equally so. The safety claim’s a lie, though, and the V12’s oh so slow.

@TheLaptopX20 - Rivera Pavise ES: Eighteen and a half feet of shiny sepia tone, a woefully undersized engine, lazy front brakes, and middling safety. Cheap, though.

@TheYugo45GV - Union Magistrate: Very long. Very reliable. Not all that luxurious. A sheriff/magistrate’s car for sure. Front bench is an asset for drive-in movies.

@GassTiresandOil - Durendal Havana Brougham: It’s supremely comfortable, supremely safe, and faster than a cruise liner. What more can you ask for? FWD ain’t good for burnouts, though.

@Lanson - FMC LL500: Good grip, best stopping distance, two doors. Could be the sporty option but for power and some rear brake fade. Very much the value option.

@Abg7 - AMS Starjet 4.0 Deluxe: An inline six with V8 power? AMS gets close, but for cars as big as these is it enough? Lovely cream interior, not so lovely Mac struts.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T - Mayflower Sixth Avenue: Breaking News: The EPA closes down Mayflower factory for emissions violations. (Presence and power can’t beat the feds.)

@Bbestdu28 - BMA Faste Landaulet 812: A landaulet! Fancy! A brutish V12 to pull by far the heaviest vehicle here. Feisty! And woefully underpowered brakes. Scary!

Results

Winner: @GassTiresandOil
Second: @NoahC
Third: @abg7
Fourth: @AMuteCrypt

8 Likes

3rd place isn’t so bad in hindsight - I didn’t expect a car with so little power (and one which had a more space-efficient strut front suspension) for its weight to do so well. Anyway, I will host the next round if no other player is willing to do so.

^^ Even the brakes are comfortable for my car X).
Just for my curiosity, by how far my car is the heaviest ? (2.3T of luxury)
(And I feel @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T , the Faste’s emissions were just under the limit, it has been stressful every time I was modifying something, the fear to exceed this limitation)

You were heaviest by about 300kg; the auto landaulet top likely contributed all of that and then some, and the car would’ve been even heavier without your aluminium panels.

2 Likes

Have either of the top two opted out of hosting, by the way? I ask because I opted out in DMs and it wasn’t mentioned, and ABG has made it pretty clear.

They’ve made no indication either way yet.

I cannot host. But thank you for the win! And thank you for such quick results, I believe that is why this challenge exists!

For anyone struggling with emissions, I found three things that helped me:
Lower compression,
Leaner fuel/air mixture,
An aluminum head (?!). Don’t know why that one works, but it does.

I believe that emissions partly is based on how dirty the production of the car is too, and that an alloy head is “cleaner” to produce than a cast iron dito, but I can have understood things wrong.

2 Likes

I believe it’s that the material absorbs pollutants

An alloy block of any kind (even basic aluminum) will reduce emissions even further, especially when combined with an alloy head - but at the expense of reliability, which is most apparent before 1990 or so.

Lower combustion chamber temperatures reduce NOx production, and aluminum is a better conductor of heat than iron.

2 Likes

Right but in the manual for Automation they mention that porosity is a factor in the pollutant calculation. Probably shouldn’t be (seems pedantic) and instead it should probably be for the reasons you just mentioned. Same reason reverse-flow cooling on a GM block resulted in lower emissions (better cooling at the head). But Automation may not “see” it that way

We now know that the winner of this round will not be hosting the next one, so @NoahC will be next in line to host unless he tells us otherwise.

Given how long it’s been… Either we need @abg7 to post a thread or @SheikhMansour to release more rankings. I sure can’t host.

As previously stated, I am capable of hosting the next round, for sure - however, @NoahC has not yet told us whether or not he can do so. I am assuming he won’t want to host the next round, given that it’s been 5 days since the results were posted.

Since Noah’s AWOL, you have the right to prepare QFC3

I am ready to accept my responsibility of overseeing QFC3 and am currently evaluating some ideas for rule sets. Just give me some time before I launch the next round.

Newsflash: QFC3 is up - click here!

3 Likes

Sorry People! I have had a mess of a real world engine rebuild for my garden tractor and completely forgot to check in. Thank you and please continue.

Now I know the reason why you couldn’t host QFC3 - you had to do some maintenance on your farm tractor. Even if you had known about it, the scale of the task may well have been enough to put you off hosting duties for the latest round.

1 Like

Thanks, I am still not done with things here. Here is a picture from yesterday.

4 Likes