Race of the Century - A Le Mans Challenge [RESULTS RELEASED]

With special thanks to @The_Stig_Is_A_Spy, @SpeedyBoi, and @HurtsJustALittleBit

On June 10, 2023, hundreds of cars and thousands of fans will descend on the Circuit de La Sarthe in Le Mans, France, for a very special event: The Race of the Century.

It’s been a hundred years since the first running of the iconic 24 Hours of Le Mans, and although it has seen many legendary eras of racing in those 100 years, we are now entering a new golden age of endurance racing. The new LMH and LMDh cars making up the top Hypercar class have already proven to be quite successful in delivering exciting racing whilst having much needed variance and uniqueness in their forms and philosophies. They will be from a myriad of prestigious manufacturers such as Ferrari, Cadillac, Porsche, and Peugeot - all looking to challenge Toyota for the elusive top spot of the podium.

In the lower class, it will be the final 24h of Le Mans for the long-lived LMGTE class, which will be replaced by the incoming LMGT3 class next year. These are the cars that you would see win on Sunday and buy on Monday - provided you have the funds to afford a Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, or Corvette of course!

Enough waffling - what is this about?

Given the large amount of interest for the Geneva to Le Mans (LMH) challenge, I- i mean, we have decided to launch the second part of our Le Mans-themed challenges: our very own Automation version of The Race of the Century.

This will be a design-only competition, so no complicated engineering regulations to follow here. However, there are still rules to follow, so make sure to check out the document linked below.

So what will I be designing?

LMH (Le Mans Hypercar) cars are the flagship cars racing in the top Hypercar class of the World Endurance Championship (WEC). Current real-life examples include the Toyota GR010 Hybrid, Peugeot 9X8, and Ferrari 499P.

For this challenge, you can choose to enter purpose-built sports prototypes like the examples listed above or base your entry on road-going models like the ones made for the LMH challenge. If you choose the latter option, there is no need to submit a road car. Existing cars made for the LMH challenge are accepted here.

LMH Inspirations

…as well as some of the cars from the Geneva to Le Mans challenge.

LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid) cars are a type of sports prototype cars that race alongside LMH cars (similar names, but different classes; don’t get confused) in the top Hypercar class of the WEC. Examples include the Porsche 963, BMW M Hybrid V8, Cadillac V-Series.R and Acura ARX-06.

These cars are strictly sports prototypes and therefore have much more traditional prototype shapes than LMH cars. They are also simpler and cheaper, using the chassis from a selection of 4 suppliers (not made by manufacturers), a spec hybrid system, and a common wheelbase of 3148 mm.

LMDh Inspirations

GT cars are grand tourer race cars based on production models. As mentioned above, the current class of GT cars in the WEC is LMGTE, but they will be replaced by LMGT3 starting in 2024. Examples include the Ferrari 488 GTE and 296 GT3, Porsche 911 RSR / GT3-R, Aston Martin Vantage GTE / GT3, and Chevrolet Corvette C8.R / Z06 GT3.R. These cars are most related to their road-going counterparts and therefore share engines and body shapes.

For this challenge, you can choose to enter GTE-spec cars or GT3-spec cars, which both fit the regulations here. The differences (at least those that matter for this challenge) are fairly minimal, but the main one is that GTE cars are faster. For a more in-depth look at the differences, you can read this article.

GT Inspirations

Recommended Mods For Detailing

Duchemin Racing Tires (exclusive tyre supplier of the ROC)

Nimbus Sans Typeable Text (for racing numbers)

TSIAS Racing Fixtures

Simmer22’s Misc Fixtures

Simmers Decal Pack

RB Racekit

RB AIT Brand Pack

RB AIT Social Media

NOTE: Please do not use any bodies from the Legacy Car Bodies pack as we do not have that mod installed.

How will my car be judged?

This will be judged unlike the last challenge - this time, there will be open design evaluation with coordinated judging for openly decided conclusions. That’s right, it’s crowd-sourced judging!

I Love It GIF - I Love It GIFs

Each car will get a set of standardised pictures to prevent any bias from differing photography skills or sneaky angles to hide sketchy sections of design. If the car has an interior, there will be two standardised shots of that as well.

There will be five categories for judging - Design, Livery, Realism, Creativity, and Presentation.

Each category will be on a scale from 1 to 10, for a total of 50 possible points for each car. From there, the winner will be decided. And no voting for yourselves!

When can I get started?

The challenge will open on

April 14, 2023, Anywhere on Earth

Until then, please comment any concerns or suggestions so that we can iron out any kinks before we get started.

Can I get feedback before I submit?

Of course, we plan to have roasting feedback sessions for entrants to hopefully benefit from our thoughts on each car. (though keep in mind, the voting audience may not think the same way we do!)

To hopefully avoid any rush, the feedback deadline is set roughly a month before the submission deadline.

May 10, 2023, Anywhere on Earth

You can submit pictures of your car for feedback anytime between the opening of this challenge and the feedback deadline, and we will try our best to get to your car as and when we can.

For best results, these pictures should be well-lit and give us a good overview of your design.

When and what should I submit?

The deadline for submissions is set for the scrutineering period at Le Mans:

June 5, 2023, Anywhere on Earth

To submit, you must:

1. Make a presentation post in this thread. Remember, it’s part of the judging!

2. Send your .car file(s) to the hosts (@chiefzach2018 and @kookie) via forum DMs only.

After the submission deadline passes, we’ll check for any bins, then compile those that passed into a Google Form, which will remain open for a week to decide the people’s choice. If all goes well, the winner will be decided by the time the flag drops at Le Mans.

Finally, one important question:

Should we, the hosts, be allowed to enter our cars into this challenge as well?

There should be no conflict of interest as it is completely crowd-judged, and obviously we won’t be giving feedback on our own cars, but as it may be controversial we would like to get your thoughts.

Should the hosts be allowed to enter their own cars into this challenge?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Bonne Chance!

20 Likes

Exciting!
I hope I can actually make the deadline this time!

That being said, idk if I’m blind or not, but can we submit multiple cars?

1 Like

I know this just got put out, but with a bunch of fixture related regulation bits like kill switches and numbers and position lights, it would be nice to have pictures to go along with each regulation. This should make minimum disconnects to between what players make and what the hosts are expecting.

4 Likes

This is a fitting companion to the ongoing LMH challenge, especially since it also allows for the construction of LMDH and GTE/GT3 entries.

1 Like

noice
I’ve got a couple of 600hp / 1200kg GT spec cars that I hope will be competitive.
Are there further spec rules like panel material, engine displacement, suspension options and tire sizes?

2 Likes

Multiple entries are allowed, but we encourage quality over quantity. Additionally, the winner will only be decided by their highest-ranked car, so your score will not be affected whether you have multiple entries or not.

I have just added pictures and reformatted some of the regulations to hopefully be clearer.

Yes.

Tire sizes are covered in the regulations, but the rest do not have any bearing on the judging and are therefore not regulated. It’s best to abide by your common sense for the engineering, but if you send us a kei-engined hypercar I won’t really mind.

3 Likes

What does 3148 mm wheelbase for LMDh mean exactly? If I send a car with 3150 mm wheelbase will it get burned in hell or do I need to shorten the wheelbase by 2 mm myself?

2 Likes

It means 3148 mm, exactly.

Helpfully, there is already a LMDh variant of the 10s Prototype II mod body with a wheelbase of exactly 3148 mm. I would say that’s the obvious choice for making an LMDh if you don’t want excessive fiddling.

Is it the one that says 3.15 m or am I blind I can’t find anything else

I’m not in game to double check, but that should be it. If you mouse over the variant thumbnail it should give the exact measurement.

Just to clarify you want both a road car and race car for GTE/GT3 correct? Like the Geneva to Le Mans challenge.

A road car is not necessary for any category.

2 Likes

This looks really complicated

It looks like a normal design challenge tbh

6 Likes

if the hosts are allowing submissions from the Geneva to Le Mans challenge, wouldn’t it be fair keep the 730 mm tall tyre consideration? Mainly to not have to change it, if you say the entry can be the same,

2 Likes

also, i’m not seeing any required fuel types, is it 129 octane E100 like the previous challenge?

My mistake, that has now been changed in the document.

There are no engineering regulations; the judging does not take any of that into consideration.

2 Likes

The challenge is now open!

This means the regulations are now finalised and will not change unless a major issue comes up. Additionally, the poll has concluded and it seems that the majority agrees to let us enter the challenge. That doesn’t mean we 100% will, but thanks to all for your input anyways.

Remember, you are free to submit your cars for feedback starting now until May 10th. For more details on submitting for feedback, please check the OP.

Bonne Chance!

5 Likes

Merci!

Well, here goes nothing…

I’m submitting the 2023 FMW CR1 GTE for feedback :crossed_fingers:

More pics

5 Likes

These feedback posts will probably be a bit less flavourful than the ones for the LMH challenge (unless you’ve really dropped a stinker worth thoroughly roasting) so we can hopefully get more of these out on time.

But with all that said, this is the only car submitted for feedback so far, so we might as well tackle it now.

2023 FMW CR1 GTE

@the-chowi

Well, here goes nothing…

And here, nothing has gone before…

First impressions - that is certainly a colour scheme. Judging by the logo and the general styling of the car, this is probably meant to be a play on BMW’s M colours. However, the way these colours are used here is more reminiscent of Christmas wrapping, especially with the somewhat halfhearted placement of stripes along the side. Perhaps you can try experimenting with more dynamic shapes to break up the body lines.

Speaking of odd placements, the sponsor stickers on the side are quite a mess. Without any proper arrangement, they just look like they’ve been crammed in whatever space is available. I know that might be a bit rich coming from a McLaren fan, but even the most sponsor-packed liveries usually have some hierarchy and order to the placement.

Livery aside, the rest of the car seems to be a good start. The detailing looks up to spec. Strangely, it’s rather devoid of sponsor stickers once you move away from the sides, but I digress. The main issue here is that it just doesn’t seem aggressive enough of a transformation, especially for what is presumably a sports GT like an M4.

Compare and contrast. All of the same elements are found on both cars, but the CR1 just needs to have it turned up a notch. Notice how the BMW sits lower, the wing is much beefier, and the front fender openings are much wider.

This picture really shows the difference between the regular M4 and the M4 GT3. Because of the wider fenders and larger wheelwells, the GT3 already looks a lot more aggressive even if you ignore the big race aero.

This might require quite a bit of body torture to achieve in Automation, but slimming down the height of the car and giving it larger wheelwells really goes a long way to capturing the race car look.

The front is probably the area that could benefit the most by learning from the M4 GT3’s aggression (but please don’t put a pignose on the CR1). The grille and vents are fully opened up with minimal mesh and the hood looks a lot more purposeful with extra ducts and a deeper vent to extract air coming in from the front. These cars also usually have redesigned front bumpers which trade the side vents for extra lights (especially at races like Le Mans) or cover them up entirely to add canards for added front downforce. Some even have both.

TL;DR: It’s a good start, just needs an extra kick of aggression. And less Christmas wrapping. Also, whatever Zach meant by this:

If you’d like to see feedback like this for your car, do make sure to send it in much like chowi has done here. Posting directly in the thread should be fine for now, but if it starts to get too cluttered, you might wanna hit up our DMs instead to ensure it gets seen.

Bye for now!

9 Likes