Restrictor

I have an idea. Why don’t you add a restrictor. So then you can restrict the airflow in a engine. I suggest this because most racing formulas do have this, then you could also tune a engine around the restrictor to make power and torque.

There is already a restrictor on most engines, it’s called “Factory Intake Manifold”. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the restrictor used in racing cars is used to even the playing field between different teams.

which kind of sucks really.

interesting, the engine in the picture appears to be laid out to be fitted into a car that drives backwards…

[quote=“Hitperson”]

interesting, the engine in the picture appears to be laid out to be fitted into a car that drives backwards…[/quote]

Uhm you know that this engines is supposed to be on the front and delivering power to the rear wheels? This is so called Rear Wheel Drive with frontal engine - BMW uses this principle for some years…
There are also ALL Wheel Drive cars and FRONT Wheel drive cars.

Just for your Information.

Greetz
Pyrlix

[quote=“pyrlix”]

interesting, the engine in the picture appears to be laid out to be fitted into a car that drives backwards…

Uhm you know that this engines is supposed to be on the front and delivering power to the rear wheels? This is so called Rear Wheel Drive with frontal engine - BMW uses this principle for some years…
There are also ALL Wheel Drive cars and FRONT Wheel drive cars.

Just for your Information.

Greetz
Pyrlix[/quote]

i think he meant that the airfilter was pulling air in from the wrong direction.

There are several cars that draw air from the rear of the hood, some air scoops are open there, because at the line between the hood and the front window there is a high preasure zone.

To add on rob’s point, it’s called cowl induction. a good explanation of it (ehow.com/about_5571485_pros- … -hood.html).

On topic: I would love to be able to have restrictors, especially for the Le Mans engine challenge, which would use a restictor in real life.

More importantly fo normal game use, a restrictor could make it eaiser, and cheaper, to make a broad range of engines from the same block. That way I can make a 4 litre V8 and use it for multiple different cars, so my small sedan can have a 300 hp engine, and my sports car can have a 500 hp engine, but using the same engine. The other benefit is there would only need to be one type of engine produced, so less man-hours needed, money saved.

The thing I see with a restrictor is all it does is limit power, you don’t gain any of the other benefits of de-tuning, it doesn’t have better economy or low down torque or anything, so your restricted luxury car engine would be just as peaky and thirsty as the non-restricted sports car engine. I’d say this, along with the fact that an engine trying to suck past a restrictor is pretty crap for economy, is the reason why this is never really done on production cars

Funny thing.

When they added restrictors to Rally Cross engines ( 2l turbo) a bunch of years ago, because they was considered to fast, the power went down about 20%-25%.
But the modifications to make the engine work with the restrictor, gave the engines more torque. It made the cars easier to drive, thus made them even faster than before. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

One of the drivers complained that the modifications required cost him about 50% of what an engine cost. (2.1l Audi 5 cyl built for the IMSA series in USA. He had 740hp before restictor was added.)