Shitbox Rally 2023 - Stage 14 (FINISHED!)

Stage 9:

Kingsburg to Queensdale

Temperature at mid-day: 22°C

Night-time Low: 14°C

Weather: Humidity remains high, but the thick cloud cover is gradually gone by about 3 sun. Winds have not changed much from yesterday as well.

Camp Challenge: “On a Hope and a Prayer” (No Support Vehicle.)

Today, we spend most of our time on Highway Route 11, driving on a road with 75 MPH / 120km/h posted signs all while feeling like a roller coaster. We’d be going that speed limit if it wasn’t for the huge amount of traffic clogging up the road, doing 55 MPH in all three lanes. This is, of course, made worse by the number of cops pulling over cars for doing illegal passes. Apparently, passing cars on their right-hand side is very much a no-no around here.

Eventually, though, we see the huge city of Queensdale. Here, it’s clear that THIS was probably the capital city at one point in time, with the huge surrounding wall. The city is loosely styled after a crown, and as we arrive through the main gates, it’s actually proven that it was the capital… When Nehmenweld was a Crugandrian colony.

We’re eventually able to make it to the far side of the city, where we end up in a fairly large camping space about 3 miles from the last train station. An interesting feature of Queensdale’s train station is that the pair of stations were built into the great outer wall deliberately, making it one of the first cities in Nehmenweld completely designed around having rail access. A tram connects both stations together, ferrying people from one half of the city to the other.

As for our campground… It’s a nice grassy place with a lot of space for us to get settled in.

Next Stage Expected Conditions:

Road Speed: high
Road Condition: moderate
Traffic: very low
Police: low

Results Here: SR23 Stage 9 - Google Drive

Camp Challenge Winners:

Interior (Team Not-so slow)
AMuteCrypt (Team Flaming Gallahs)
Edsel (Team Friendship! :D)
AndiD (Team Taciturn)
BannedByAndroid (Team ReUnity)
Mikonp7 (Team GUNSHIP)
LDub (4 Dicks in a Truck)

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

Other than a brief stop for Takaraya to talk himself out of a speeding ticket, it was a relatively smooth trip.

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

It was going well in the train, right up until something caused the wireless communication between the four units to shut down. With three units stuck at idle, Robert II was forced to slow down, then wait in a siding while Valentin solved the problem.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

No breakdowns, no traffic stops, just a slow and dirty drive today.

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

There’s not much to say after the head-gasket repair yesterday. The Imbe runs a “perfect” stage, with the engine pinging away like crazy thanks to the heat.

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

Between a cop stop and 4 shredded tires, it’s a long day for this team.

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

It’s a clean run for both cars today. The only delays are the gas stops.

@Doot

The Knockouts

After getting a face full of dirt in the last stage courtesy of a Dyre, Kate is much more cautious today to avoid wrong turns. She makes it to the end without a problem. Octavia, however, has a fair bit of fun changing a serpentine belt.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

Four flats on the Kontir Cunningham result in a fair bit of lost time.

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

We’re not sure what turned both old ladies into shutter-bugs here, but a bit over 3 hours were lost to photography.

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

It’s a party when the party bus gets stuck at the side of the road with a steering problem. It takes a bit of fixing, but the bus returns to the road a few hours later.

@Edsel

Team Friendship! :smiley:

Nothing much to see here for the bus full of cars. It’s just an ordinary day in traffic.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

The only breakdown experienced today is the mental one from Marie as she starts screaming about how she really, really wants a beer.

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

Most of the stage was spent arguing about who put the scratch on the door of the minivan, which was a relaxing change of pace from maintenance and repairs.

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

Unfortunately, there’s a bit of bad news with the Aether 11/2. This bad news leads to a full engine swap.

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Forward progress continues! No police stops, no breakdowns, just one very reliable Mara.

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

Floor it and hang on tight! One fast crossover makes it to the finish without getting busted.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

No trouble for either half of the team today.

@IDK158

Team J3

Between a speeding ticket, the Tiharris not starting up after the traffic stop, and then a windowed engine block in the Rhien, it was a long, long day of fixing cars. The Tiharris was used to tow the Rhien back to camp where the trio worked extra hard trying to fix it.

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

Other than being unable to pass up a gas station, it’s a smooth journey here today.

@Tzuyu_main & @FallingComet

Team Black Rabbit Disavowed

The Seikatsu’s driver gets a ticket after their wide truck bed breaks the aerial off the back of one of the patrol cars.

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

After getting off at the wrong exit, it’s a 4 hour journey trying to get back on the route. Luckily, the only setback is a minor traffic stop for the Bowie Bearcat’s driver being a bit of a leadfoot… And the officer gave some directions that got the crew back on track.

@Xepy

Team “486”

Two vehicles speed into camp without a problem.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

Other than the Baumhauer getting a minor traffic stop for speeding, it’s not so bad today.

@SurrealCereal

Team Machinas Con Passione

Passing on the right is a no-no. The driver of the Blue Wonder learned that with a nice expensive traffic ticket today.

@GetWrekt01 & @That-S-Cop

Cunning Stunts

No stops, no problems, no worries.

@EnCR

Team Till D End

The Trailduster’s engine conked out, which was bad enough. Then the Linx rear-ended it and damaged the radiator. Ten hours of repairs later, however, and both vehicles were back on the road, even if it did look like a giant had played soccer with the Linx’s front end.

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

Another team with no breakdowns, no stops, and no problems.

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Another team who fell prey to the wrong exit problem. Unfortunately, it took a hell of a lot longer for the leadfoot behind the wheel to get a warning for speeding, and a chance to ask for directions.

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

It’s a long drive in a rattletrap truck and a nice trailer. Thankfully, there are no issues today.

3 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS

PART 6.1 - CRUNCH!

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1

Pre-prologue part 2

Prologue part 0.1

Prologue part 0.15 - Interlude

Prologue part 0.2

Prologue part 0.3

Prologue part 0.4

Part 1.1 - What’s that smell?

Part 2.1 - Can I see your driver’s license, please?

Part 3.1 - No beer means no drama

Part 4.1 - HOOOOOOONK!

Part 4.2 - The party

Part 5.1 - Knock, knock, who’s there?

PART 6.1 -Crunch!

At something that looked like an ordinary day in late may where they’re coming from, our (cough!) heroes left Nehmenweld in their two Ariyan trucks, as usual, the little Rugger followed by the larger Wolverine. Marie, of course, was getting less and less enthusiastic for every day as she crunched through the gears of the Wolverine.

“I’m bored”, Marie said.

“Well, just make the best of the situation”, Arne answered.
“Whooops, I think I got a chewing gum under my shoe, it was hard to get loose”, she said, pretending to try to get the foot loose from the floor mat while flicking the dimmer switch for the high beams a thousand times.

“Great, what is it now?”, Andreas said in the Rugger. “She is flicking the high beams like crazy!”

“Marie, what the fuck is it?”, Janne sighed in the CB.

“Nothing, I just got a gum under my shoe!”, she answered.

“If you don’t stop flicking those goddamned high beams, I will remove the gum with a hacksaw and take your stupid foot at the same time”, Janne answered, more than just a little bit annoyed.

“Fine”, she said, pressed down on the accelerator just to hold a distance of “too fucking close” to the Rugger.

“I’m going to give that fat stupid hag what she wants”, Andreas said, a bit furious, and stepped on the brake pedal.

CRUNCH!

The bed of the Rugger suddenly got a “new” kind of shape and some fiberglass bits of the canopy flew all over the road when it got a Wolverine embedded into the tailgate.

“Watch how you’re driving, you jackass!”, Andreas laughed in the CB.

“Oh, yeah, is this how you want it?”, Marie said, yanked the steering wheel to the left, and floored the accelerator. The Wolverine passed the Rugger as fast as it could, and then braked in front of the Rugger. Andreas, however, swerved to the left and passed the Wolverine once again, and the pattern seemed to repeat multiple times.

“I don’t know what she is thinking with”, Andreas said to Janne.

“Thinking?”, Janne sighed. “Has that ever happened?”

Without much more drama than Marie seeking revenge by constantly blaring the horn for the last kilometers, the somewhat twisted Rugger rolled into camp, followed by a frenetically honking, desert coloured military truck.

TO BE CONTINUED…

3 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 9

New wheels, such a luxury

Back on terrain that would be more familiar to currently absent SR crew, rest of team still tries to figure out stuff like moving elsewhere and getting some cars to go along with it.
Phone rings

-Hello.
-Hello buddy, i got a great deal on sum cars. Imported straight from Araga, bro.
-Who are you?? How you got this number??
-Details like that arent important
-You consider basic courtesy of introducing yourself a “detail”? Also not only i should be concerned about that, but also about how you gotten this phone number.
-There is nothing to be concerned about: i heard you could be potential customers and therefore i gotten extra mile to get to you.
-Khm, sorry…i may need to say goodbye

Call ended on our side, with phone being turned off.

-Such a jerk, good thing i may change number when we finally move and sell this SIM card to someone more needy…probably.
-You are aware that caller might call them and annoy?
-I dont have such feeling
-You are, to put it blankly, a robot
-We shall wait

As expected, turning on the phone resulted in receiving many messages both from provider saying about many missed calls and from man himself, listing what he has avaiable.
Chicota Senior did some digging and realised that phone of this annoying stranger is linked to some make-shift car seller indeed.

-I may after all pay some visit, we do need cars to transport ourselves around.
-Oh, such a change of heart
-Well, you gotta have guts to call strangers on phone to get them to buy your cars
-Ok then
Question, how are you gonna get there?
-I dunno…fly or some shit?
-It would be nice to get several cars, so you need company.
-Fine

Part about 4 of them being forced to take rather lengthy trip to this car seller would certainly not be very interesting, as its hopping from bus to bus in essence.
They were at location, which was crudely fenced area in middle of nowhere. Said area did had used cars on the lot

-Hello. I expected you lot here.
-How exactly?
-Intuition
Anyway, cars. As you can see, there is fair bit of them.
-Yes, and it seems all of them are kinda old.
-Its what it is. Anyway, cars. But first, COME THE FUCK UP HERE YOU LOT

Three figures appeared.

-Its easier to get business done if several cars are being considered at same time.
-You had my curiosity, now you have my interest.
-Good.

Chicota Senior and Aydar Junior had looked at Petunia and Bibet.

-All of us shall inspect these things as best as possible to avoid being ripped off
-Ok

They split and Chicota found himself alongside Rosanda Sieben Kombi from 1965, which is rather interesting concept of wagon.

-It seats 8
-Yup
-Its very comfortable
-Yup
-It has sufficient power to propel itself
-That too, but still im not sure.
-We can take it for test drive
-Oh, that would be nice

Test drive was nice indeed, but entertainment was likely very underwhelming.
Still, comfortable place to be in for 8 people meant radio being underwhelming wasnt much of deal breaker and fuel consumption was on expected levels for big heavy car with equally big and heavy engine
This is never going to be appropriate choice for Shitbox Rally, but then again it wasnt like price wasnt good for what it is.

-It does seem good to me
-Im happy to hear that
-I guess we will buy it, beats the bus.

As it turns out, rest had also bought three other cars, so it was lonely drive in 4 car convoy affair. Biggest and second most powerful member of convoy was also one that can seat most, as other buys are all sedans and as such, limited to two rows.
But in general, all were perfectly happy with purchases today as all cars were able to fit some more-or-less specific roles in the group.

-Ok, i guess that dude wasnt such bad thing afterall. We got some cars to move around in.
-True, but your choice was hopelessly too big for regular use. We can stuff ourself in three rows and wouldnt require 5.4m of car to do so
-This provides fair bit of comfort, plus you can actually put your luggage somewhere as well

To get into mood of correctly noting next part name, listen to this . Note the closest line to part name and thats how your author intended for it to be pronounced

We are on road to Queensdale

There is hope that, apart from Saguaro’s gas-guzzling tendencies, there would be no further issues.

-We really should have retuned the engine to be more economical
-Probably, but i guess we are out of luck there.
-Its probably not as bad as it could be for some other participants
-Probably true

And indeed was true, certain muscle car with big V12 required 5 refuels on this stage. Saguaro needed only 2.
As you can probably assume yourself from small writeup by Madrias, all tires on Kontir would fail at one point or another.

-I have an idea. Lets get off highway on terrain beside it and floor it. Technically we arent on road, so they cant give us a ticket
-Briliant idea, but we in Saguaro prob couldnt follow.
-True, but if this goes to plan, we are going to meet in town again. First car to town is gathering some more supplies then we unite and head to camp.

After several grueling units of measure for distance, plan had kinda failed.
Chicota kept it together, but it was clear tires werent prepared for this kind of abuse: specifically, front ones had failed to keep air inside of them

-What a bunch of idiots!
-HEY…nevermind.
-You seemed to break speed limit set at 75mph/120kmph
-It wasnt on the road
-It would still count as something we can give warning or ticket for. Afterall, you could have wiped us out.
-Hmm, true.

Screeching of tires was heard and Saguaro had joined.

-What happened? You guys got ticket?
-We blew front tires. Conveniently near some locals.
-Hmm, yea, locals…right
-Btw we might need to refuel
-We got you bro

So refueling happened, first for Saguaro.

-Damn, they have some fuel with them
-Yes, bcos its always good to have some fuel with you if you arent sure where is next fuel station.
-You are travelling?
-Kinda. We participate in Shitbox Rally, which is event done for fun. It starts in something called Nevada desert, country is United States of America, planet Earth. Organizers are fellow team called Shift Happens.
-Funny name
-It denotes very interesting bunch of beings.

At about this time, policemen received information about some car flying by them.
It was immensely fast and followed by like 10 patrol units.

-How is that possible?
-Technology advancements: i believe that car is also participant in rally.
-Really?
-I guess. Not all of our cars would be that fast but, we are capable of making some rather fast machines.
-How fast?
-Fair bit of them can break speed limit here two times over and this kind of vehicles isnt even that expensive or hard to get.
Three times the speed limit is possible, but you are likely going to give up lot of money for that luxury and these arent going to be suitable for families. Ofc kind of people that can afford these can likely afford something else as well, that would cover that kinda duty.
-What kind of speed limits exist there?
-On Earth?
-Yes
-That depends on area and country. I recall one country having no speed limits on their highways and then there are others with varying speed limits.
Country we are currently stationed in has highway limit of 120 kmph and one of its neighbors has 130 kmph.

Policeman thought

-Those are top speeds in countries?
-Obviously, in towns and villages limit is 50, unless you happen to pass by school in which case its 30 kmph.
Kids arent as good of judging how much time would pass until car arrives to their position and ofc they are more fragile
-Ofc

Pause, during which tire situation was kinda patched and sorted out

-We would like to continue journey to Queensdale.
-We need to refuel
-WHAT?!? HAVENT I TOLD YOU YESTERDAY TO MAKE SURE WE ARE FILLED
-Uhhhh…you did, but i forgot.
-I dont think we are gonna have any spare patrol cars to bring us some
-We could refuel you lot. It was specifically requested of us to tune our cars to work on local fuel. I havent kept track, but i think that both our vehicles and these spare fuel tanks are from local fuel stations
-For what price?
-Uhhh…i guess it would be nice to be able to refill again when we get to fuel station.
-Deal

Fuel transfer has happened and our vehicles drove away

-Next time, i doubt we would be able to refill on the spot…so dont forget next time
-Ok.

Next fuel station was place to fill every fuel tank brought, including main ones for cars.
Journey continued and it seemed this is THE town to get supplies from.

-Ok, so we are going to split up and get some supplies
-Ok

Owing to nature of steering almost 6.3m of truck in town, Chicota decided this is good place to practice some handbrake skills.
For uninformed, said handbrake brakes rear wheels and as such breaks delicate balance between front and rear grip.
Due to nature of equally steering via handbrake as is case with steering wheel, it wasnt long before pop had happened.

-Damn, i guess this is fully and absolutely on you
-Its fiiine

Another rear tire followed example, making it rather easy to hang the tail out.

-I guess we must repair the tires…or change them
-Yes.

Add some fresh rubber on list of supplies
But this team of eight members is not finished yet with town sighting…

Sedam->osam

Camp had a keen observer whole time packing out. Still at distance of 1000 feet or 304.8m, Siviko’s opponent from day before saw…opportunity i guess.
In relatively short period of time, she was at edge of camp taking advantage of some meat that was nearby.
Siviko havent even noticed this event and amount of meat wasnt substantial anyway.
Further hurt on meat-based supplies was inflicted when group was about to go and she literally jumped in back of vehicle, feasting greatly.

She knew there is chance of being discovered when vehicle stops, so she would exit when she hears voices and vehicle starts slowing down.
Just before entering the town, this escape process was repeated and Kontir was followed on foot from that point on.

Trip to butcher shop had been instrumental in failing the plan. She sensed that this is prob last stop before going away, when she can exit vehicle again.
This was correct, but she took bigger bite than she could stomach in such short time period, biggest feast in her life.
Dozing off, drifting to sleep…

-WHO TF ARE YOU AND WHAT YOU DID TO OUR MEAT?!?

Eyes opened to reveal Chicota Junior being pissed at this stray decimating meat supplies
Rest of team had piled up to see the commotion

-Oh hey, this is very same stray that tried to take food from me yesterday
-Really?
-Yes.

Her eyes being directed at him indicated that recognition is mutual

-What do we do with her? Throw her out and hope she aint gonna visit again? Mind you, this being has no way to pay us back in money for all meat she ate.
-She?
-Seems to be female based on what i can see.
-Lemme check

Chicota got in and decided to lift left leg in last pair.
Reaction was not happy, but Chicota received no damage

-Shut up, im trying to not misgender you. I know some people would be very sensitive on matter

Rest laughed at remark

-Female indeed
-Oh ye, i can confirm being in fight with her
-Ok, so female.
-Yes

She farted

-She can also fart, it seems
-Quite terrible smell
-I vote to take her out
-Yes but its girl. It might be your chance…
-DAD, no love was made from fight.
-Im unconvinced
-We shall keep her, she is cute
-She is fucking danger to supplies

Andrea had went in to prove this fella is cute. Last time this being was in close contact with female human was…less than satisfactory experience. It also ended up in her being chased away.
This encounter now ended up in no less than four individuals wincing in pain of some sort

-OW, that was rude of you

Andrea looked at freshly scratched arm of hers, courtesy of claws of this “cat”.
Chicota and Pi were both very unhappy at this, as both loved Andrea dearly and werent fond of her getting hurt.
This was also first time claws were used since their meetup with box and user of claws also winced in pain, indicating said paws are hurting.

-Chicota, you should take her out of our vehicle.
-Oh, im gonna do much more than that
-Please dont kill her
-She had eaten our meat and now scratched Andrea.
-Its indicated to be rare animal.
-I dont care, she scratched Andrea and thats hardly acceptable

Animal got very tense, seeing that Chicota’s voice became louder and louder and overall vibe les and less nice.
Time to go, it seems, so it took some space and accelerated to as high speed as she could, jumped over tailgate and bolted into wilderness.

Several hours had passed and this wasnt very nice pain to experience.
She scratched the girl and for what, protecting herself?
Girl didnt seemed willing to hurt her.
How is she going to hunt for food? Ok, its not really all or nothing, but no matter how she tries to get around the issue, pain isnt leaving her.

-Hello, are you there?
-Im not sure if she can understand us. Im sure she can hear, but not understand.

And indeed tension was there as Siviko was entirely correct. But for some reason she was still in current place
Maybe she hears only 6 legs going towards her and wait for it, familiar voices.
Some sources of light are noticed and her eyes reflected the light.

-There you are
-We…havent came to hurt you.

No words were understood, but they didnt sounded angry or otherwise willing to hurt her.

-Someone should take look at your paws
Seems you injured yourself
-Be careful to not get scratched again

Reaction was similar to what happened in camp and with yelp, she decided to attack again.
To her surprize, attack was caught.
Andrea decided to inspect this paw that she had avaiable now

-Can you light here? Im trying to see
Ok, it doesnt seem you have any blood here, so i guess its not injury of that kind.
When you two fought, she only gotten front ones stuck with that box?
-Correct
-Gotta need to borrow this one here, then

Andrea got closer and looked at front paw in left hand and middle paw in right, trying to find differences.

-This may hurt.

Andrea tried to apply some pressure with her fingers on middle paw. Patient didnt responded noticeably.
Procedure was repeated for front and it became clear this did hurt

-Ok, i have no idea what is it, but it might be good idea to see if we can check you at some vet of sorts
I guess we will bring you with us, i guess its only right for us to try to fix your pain bcos i guess we kinda caused it in first place.
-Uhhhhh…actually nevermind, you are right.

Overall this was prob confusing encounter. Some moves here had brought pain, which patient didnt liked, but upon seeing discomfort thats stopped.
Confusion was prob brought out for comparing middle and front paw as well. Activities on middle paw, confirmed to be good, left no pain. Different thing was the case for front ones, pain indeed.
Pain wasnt caused for desire of pain, but…it seemed that they try to help her here.
Tension would also be decreased by being petted, which was now the case.

-Would she even want to go back? Chicota is still not happy.
-True, but i feel i can convince him not to hurt her further.
-Could you convince her that he isnt gonna hurt her?
-We will see…

Some more hours had passed and couple more characters had came. They came to interesting discovery of Andrea and this six-legged creature being snuggled together, asleep. Siviko isnt much further either.
Chicota shook his crush by shoulder

-Wake up, we gotta go to camp
-Hrmph…oh thats you.
-Yes. You might catch cold without proper blanket.
-Helps being beside warm companion

Chicota only now took care of noting what she snuggled with.

-We gotta help her. Front paws…i dunno what is wrong, but she seems to be hurt there.
Prob when she tried to pull them out of box in which she stuck them during fight with Siviko
-She scratched you
-Uhm, yes, but its not bcos she is violent. Look how we got along just fine.
-Im mot convinced
-Please, we shall help her.
-And what do we do, load her up on hosts?
-We have plenty of space ourself. And its not like creature of the wild is going to be too needy.
-Will think about it

She and Loojoe had bit of standoff broken by his woof and her…sound. Loojoe made distance, woofed again, turned again, nudged her with paw or his muzzle and repeated the process.
Patient looked around and seems all is fine and good in world, so she went with them.
Havent felt fully safe, so she took place near tailgate, but still on some bed of sorts bcos comfy.

-Goodnight

Andrea kissed her in head, answered by some kind of unexpected headbutt

-Ow, could have warned you would do that…but seems thats your way to say “goodnight”…

And indeed, everyone went asleep apart from Chicota, who didnt felt like sleeping.
He took trip around truck and car to see everyone is safe and sound.
Tad bit longer he looked at new member

-Seems we are 8 member group now

After that was done, he sat in car and spent about half an Aetherian hour doing so.
Andrea was so nice to this six-legged thing despite being hurt. Scratch that (no pun intended) she is just…nice.
Its indeed both true that he used to have crush on VerBanka and that Andrea is based on, and therefore rather similar to, that very VerBanka.
But he seems more and more convinced that indeed he likes her for her, not bcos she is based on someone else…this however seems to be tad bit harder to prove.

Andrea also had thoughts towards him. She was glad he forgave the new member for scratching her, bcos she decided to help her out.
As much as he did had some “skeletons in closet” so to speak, she felt those things being les and less relevant.
He is strong, smart, funny and generally good-natured, after all. His consumption of alcohol wouldnt worry her at all.

But thats all prob going to be even clearer as we move on and i will let you concentrate on two people doing rounds around camp at that time.
They were last thing Chicota looked at before finally drifting into his sleep…

2 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS

PART 7.1 - AIRLESS AFTERMATH

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1

Pre-prologue part 2

Prologue part 0.1

Prologue part 0.15 - Interlude

Prologue part 0.2

Prologue part 0.3

Prologue part 0.4

Part 1.1 - What’s that smell?

Part 2.1 - Can I see your driver’s license, please?

Part 3.1 - No beer means no drama

Part 4.1 - HOOOOOOONK!

Part 4.2 - The party

Part 5.1 - Knock, knock, who’s there?

Part 6.1 - CRUNCH!

PART 7.1 -Airless aftermath

It could all have been fun and games between Nehmenweld national park and Sundale. Could have, was the word. Andreas, however, was mostly worried about a certain sound.

“Something is whining”, Andreas said.

“It is probably only interference from the alternator to the stereo”, Janne said.

Hej på dig Evert, boogie-woogie - YouTube

Cranking up “Evert boogie woogie”, Andreas could notice that the whine did not get louder.

“It can’t be the stereo”, he said.

“Yeah, but can you hear it anymore?”, Janne said.

“No, because I can only hear Evert boogie woogie”, Andreas answered.

“So what’s the problem? It’s a rickety 40 year old truck, you can’t care about every little sound you hear….”, Janne grumbled.

“There’s some smoke coming from your rear”, Marie said in the CB.

“I bet it smells better than whatever comes out from your rear regions”, Janne answered.

“BAWOOOOOM flaffallflflfalflalfalflalalfalfl….”

“We should probably have taken it seriously”, Andreas grumbled when rolling to the side with a flat rear tyre.

“Bah, like we haven’t changed flat tyres before”, Janne grumbled back.

“And now the brake failure light is lit too”, Andreas said.

“Low on brake fluid I bet, nothing serious”, Janne said.

Upon inspection, it became quite clear that playing bumper tag with the Wolverine wasn’t the smartest thing, considering that some sharp edges from the rusty bed clearly had some interference with the tyres after taking a new shape. By fastening a chain to the Wolverine and to the bed, and doing some quick reversing with the Wolverine, the bed was back in shape good enough for the tyres to roll freely again. Though, it was not the only problem it looked like.

“Oh crap”, Janne said. “That’s one shot brake line. Well, you’re right.”

“Oh, so you admit that I am right for the first time ever?”, Andreas said.

“No”, Janne answered, “I think we took some brake lines from one of the wrecks behind the barn. Get me the right one, we have no time to spare”.

Changing the brake line was a fast affair, but as usual on this generation Rugger, bleeding was pure hell, with air as usually getting caught in the load sensing valve for the rear axle. Lots of swear words later, the team rolled away towards camp, with everyone agreeing that it was Marie’s fault in one way or another. Except for Marie that was pretty sure that Donald Duck was at fault, which is a completely different story…

TO BE CONTINUED…

1 Like

Stage 10:

Queensdale to Gasstop

Temp. at mid-day: 30°C

Night-time Low: 24°C

Weather: Cloud cover starts increasing and eventually unleashes the occasional, strong shower for the afternoon. The showers turn into a breezy drizzle by the evening.

Camp Challenge: Miles per Gallon, Best and Worst.

We leave our comfortable campground on a lightly-rainy day, blessed only with the fact that it’s warm rain and not cold. We head out onto the curiously named “jungle highway” and cannonball our way northwest, slowly descending the whole way as more and more trees become visible.

It quickly becomes obvious that, very soon, we’ll be taking another little trip on some terrible roads.

Today, however, it’s still glorious 55 MPH / 90 km/h speed limit signs and basic traffic enforcement all the way.

When we make it to our destination, we find it’s barely even a village. They have a small railway depot where they get fuel tankers delivered, which are used to make sure people insisting on traveling through the rainforest have enough fuel to make it.

The 1500-or-so people who call this place home have named their village “Gasstop” because that’s precisely what it is for most people. A quick place to fill up a fuel tank, a couple chunky fuel cans, and grab a quick bite to eat.

We’re told to park “wherever we can find space,” and that “we just got a shipment of fuel, so fill up while you can.”

Road Speed: very low
Road Condition: very poor
Traffic: none
Police: none

Results Here: SR2023 Stage 10 - Google Drive

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

It’s a slow and steady drive for the two giant trucks, one of which is still towing double trailers. Needless to say, Kasiya is not happy about this arrangement.

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

Today’s track takes the scenic route, crossing above the Jungle Highway on bridges as needed, giving the crew in the four steam-powered Diones a chance to see most of the other teams on their run of this stage.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

Both team vehicles end up pulled over and given a warning for speeding.

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

Best Fuel Economy: Ilaris Imbe Sport S 1.3 - 42.77 MPG

Other than the ping-o-matic rattling away under the hood the whole time it was traveling down the highway, it’s a smooth and swift journey. Finding out you got the best fuel economy was just icing on the cake.

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

Nothing really new to report here. It’s another long, long drive on the Jungle Highway, the old former-luxury-car soaking up the bumps in the road.

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

It’s a smooth cruise full of excitement for the explorers in the Mayland, while the support crew in the IVERA are just enjoying the drive.

@Doot

The Knockouts

Kate almost got away this time when her engine cut out. Unfortunately for her, the Dyre are exceptional trackers, and after getting her scent from the car, the hunt began. After a few minutes, Kate was caught, handcuffed, and stuffed in the back of a police car. Octavia passed by the stalled and empty car a while later, just shaking her head as she knew what it meant.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

The team in the Saguaro pushed things a little too hard and ended up off of the highway, out in the dirt. As it turns out, that’s a good way to get stuck for several hours while trying to tow out the Saguaro with the underpowered and overburdened Kontir.

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

After the previous day’s photographic chaos, it seems like the old ladies put their feet down today. It’s a clean stage with no breakdowns, no traffic stops, and no more pictures.

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

It’s a good, simple cruise today, no breakdowns or troubles, not even really much of an issue with traffic.

@Edsel

Like the other bus, it’s a breakdown-and-trouble free day for the two cars driving the bus.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

Marie got pulled over today. The police saw her tailgating the Rugger and decided to find out why. As it turns out, Marie’s ranting about wanting a beer, wanting to kill the person who murdered “Mr. Spikey,” and needing to pee weren’t what the officer expected. Surprisingly enough, the officer did let her go with just a warning.

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

It’s the Roadmaster that stopped the team today. One very, very flat tire, combined with being the good samaritans who removed the road debris from the highway, and being very cautious not to scratch the paint or damage the side-skirt of the van, costs a lot of time to fix.

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

That 2 hour and 16 minute delay was even before the crews started driving. You see… When a wizard overheard that the Aether 11/2 was running on the spare engine, he offered to fix it. Sure, it took a little while, but now they have a working spare engine again. On the road, however, it was the Aether 11/2 that got pulled over, and the driver got a warning to keep his speed down.

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Forward progress continues with the cloaked aliens and their journey across another world. It’s another stage with the very-reliable Mara being very reliable.

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

It’s hard to imagine the team was enjoying their high speed trip down the highway, but being second place has to feel pretty good.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

Nothing goes wrong for this team today, even with sirens screaming the whole time.

@IDK158

Team J3

The team decided to make a deliberate delay today. After spending almost 7 hours buying some hopefully-workable spare parts for their cars, they set off on their journey with every spare square inch of space loaded down with parts.

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

Worst Fuel Efficiency: Juggernaut 862 Custom Aeromad - 3.47 MPG

Between the Torrento chugging fuel (as usual) and the throttle getting stuck wide open again, causing it to slam violently into the back of the Juggernaut, it’s a long day of repairs. It’s the first time that the spare parts brought for “The Jug” get to be used, and it’s amazing how much damage the Torrento was able to do while still remaining drivable. In camp, Team Aeromad is advised to take as many spare fuel cans as they think they can carry.

The Dauer has an engine failure. While the team is fixing it and trying to figure out what exactly gouged the oil pan, they get a warning for the toolbox left in the traffic lane.

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

For once, both cars manage to avoid getting pulled over or having a breakdown.

@Xepy

Team “486”

Team 486’s cannonball run across Nehmenweld continues. Fortunately for them, there are no breakdowns to slow their progress.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

Other than the Baumhauer getting a warning that they’d need to leave more space between them and the vehicles they were passing, it’s an uneventful stage.

@SurrealCereal

For once, it’s a win for the good guys. A well-placed spike strip pops all four of the Faenza’s tires, and an armored Dyre was right there to pull the driver out of the car through the window, where an officer quickly got the driver in cuffs and in the back of the patrol car. The Blue Wonder gets pulled over for speeding and gets a warning for it. Said warning includes an 11-foot-tall werewolf growling at you, wearing a bullet-resistant vest declaring he was part of the “Nehmenweld Highway Patrol," as well as an irritated patrolman who flat up stated, “Go ahead, make my day,” while resting his hand on his pistol.

Cunning Stunts

Other than both drivers getting a warning for speeding, it’s a clean run today.

@EnCR

Team Till D End

“Hey, this looks quite familiar.”
“You’re going the wrong way, you fool!”
It’s a 10 hour detour you didn’t really want to make, but it happens.

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

Engines like maintenance. Unfortunately, the RV’s engine hasn’t quite had enough maintenance, and it proves this by shutting down on the highway.

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Another team that sent it hard in the wrong direction. In your case, however, you asked the cop (who wrote you a ticket for speeding) how long it’d take to get to Gasstop. You were informed it was back in the other direction.

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

Between being pulled over for speeding, and then having a severe engine problem that left the truck limping along at 20 miles per hour, it’s a long, long day. A roadside engine repair gets the truck running at full power again… 12 hours after the repair started.

1 Like

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 10

Morning, everyone

Some time was needed for newest member to wake up, due to likely having one of better sleeps in while.
Half of Aetherian hour had passed before sounds and voices awoke her. Tension was clear, but it didnt take long to relax.

-Oh, good morning to you…someone had overslept…
Seems you smelled breakfast…

This wasn’t entirely true as she was awoken by general activity in camp, but breakfast was indeed ready.
Unfortunately, it was mostly made out of non-meat substances, mostly some fruit.
Her portion was left untouched, but not for long…

-Ah yes, you expected of us to only eat meat? Well, you did ate pretty much all of it yesterday and i doubt we will be willing to splurge on that now.
Besides…in hard times you sometimes can’t afford to be picky

She didn’t understand words, but sensed that this is something she would need to get used to.
Siviko had pulled off a knife and cut a piece of fruit.
He stabbed said piece and yeeted piece in her direction off knifeblade. Then he let her instincts take over in catching the piece
Taste was different, but…seems this is actually quite nice.
Expected another piece. And another one

-Ok, thats enough…i would like to eat myself.

Butchered fruit was rolled over to her and she realized its also good, maybe better than depending on small pieces.
That was until she hit teeth on something very hard.

-Oh wait…STOP STOP STOP

She was confused and now kinda angry as he had now attempted to take this away.
Attempt was successful, but before she could react, she was facing the knife

-Allow me to prepare it properly.

Once again, pieces are cut and in air, revealing that middle of fruit was…different.

-I guess for now we shall learn to not try to get through that with teeth. Very hard, can break teeth.
Rest of fruit is good to eat

Siviko now took his own fruit and demonstrated how it should be tackled. He enjoyed this fresh example a lot, as most of his life he was not of such luck.
Three fruits went down before she decided to try and replicate.
This wasn’t type of meal she is used to having but its nice nevertheless, not to mention that this old, weak and slow fella happened to posses immence knowledge and skill in dealing with various problems.

-Thank you for giving them the opportunity.
-Uhhh…what?
-Look at Siviko and her. They are getting to know each other and are also eating together.
-That was very hard thing to do. Afterall, she did physically hurt you.
-Ah yes, apparently you seem to have crush on me of sorts…or would that be crush on VerBanka and any derivative of her?
-I would be all too glad to prove my feelings arent necessarily due to that. This, however, is made much harder due to fact both you and VerBanka have similar good characteristics.
As it stands, stuff she is good at would also happen to hold value for you.

Pause for thought

-Well, if you do manage to find some noteworthy difference, im all ears.
-Does that mean you like me too?
-…I…kinda dont know myself on how to answer. My emotions are rather unclear in that regard.
Maybe its not yet time to answer, as i dont want to give false hope.

Chicota chuckled, as this sounded familiar

-Hey, that is good thing for two of us to share.
-Im aware, but still is something i may chuckle on

Andrea took a look at another member of group, who returned favour.
It was rather cold and unpleasant one

-I have feeling Amanda is not truly fan of our potential relationship
-Indeed, being physically strongest derivative of VerBanka isnt much to brag about, but…it is her current title and she would like to keep it thank you very much.
Two of us being in relationship might mean me with your nanomachines inside of me or child of two of us, which is likely duplicate (and potential result) of former option.
Either means she is passing the honors.

Chicota also looked

-That sounds like she could be decently hostile.
-Hopefully not…but im sure we can find mutual language.
-Likely a fist
-Or maybe we can haul Kasiya to solve it out.

Amanda now looked elsewhere, to be more precise, towards HD-GVs

-He had grounded her back then in Nevada. Could have sworn she would likely be super braggy otherwise.
-Prob gentle way to say she is big fish in small pond.
Its very likely that she could defeat Kasiya in fight, but that would require VERY different approach to fighting and better utilisation of whats avaiable to her.
Either way, conflict best avoided.
-True. Not to mention, when we witnessed that fight, he was fighting shirtless.
We happen to reliably know that he has armor, as he did wore it bcos of some autonomous cars in camp.
-Do you suggest he would be able to deal with bad guys we encounter?

Chicota thought and recollected the thoughts

-Depends on how he is equipped.
Like in match vs. Amanda? Not much of chance, as i doubt he is bulletproof.
With armor? Who tf would be able to know, but if that armor can tank anything baddies can throw at him, win is his for the taking.
And lets be real, there is high possibility it can indeed deal with their weaponry

Amanda chimed in

-Some of which he can probably use too
-Its not nice eavesdropping on what others are talking.
-Its not like you are particularly discreet or quiet, theme atm is to my liking, not to mention that part of convo was discussing me.
-Khm khm, i doubt you would deny that part
-Ye and i guess reasoning is clear: im unlikely to accept being weaker than weakling and she currently is such.
Do we know how good is Kasiya with sledgehammers and axes?
-We can estimate. I mean…he has strength to do it…probably but would need to get used to whole situation.
He can connect that what humans see as weapon or tool requiring two hands, might be one-hand-only affair to him.

Andrea chimed back in

-Imagine what kinda threat Kivenaal could be.
-Oh, four-armed one? Pretty cool. I doubt he is much of fan going close and personal, tho.
I watched them going at it at shooting range. He is more likely to pick up ammunition than cold weapons
-To get back to Kasiya’s case. Strength isnt problem but fact he is using mere tool to cause death…i dont think that would sit well to him.
Axes are used to chop trees, not to kill someone…well, usually.

-Oh, someone should discuss that with him.
-Nah, i dont think he would like to discuss or demonstrate…i feel like he has more important stuff to worry about
-Such as?
-Khm, khm…he just entered truck with two trailers attached to it. Seems he is the driver
-That’s unfair. Also reminds us of the need to go.

And go they went, leaving camp and one team repairing an engine behind.

Once again, i had specific idea of how exactly to read next title name, which is once again closest thing to said name heard in song

On the road

Song mentioned on explanation would be featured atleast once during this lovely journey, but we shall not forget about its namesake, which is song yours truly greatly watched in earlier days of his life. Song is pretty dope too :sweat_smile:
Anyway…back to group

Lovely group of two cars had continued their journey through the Jungle Highway and, despite quite sweet stuff she ate, newest member desired of proper meat.
Interestingly enough, she would have ample chance to hunt proper meat, as Andrea had entered corner waaaay too fast in Saguaro and yeeted herself off highway.

-What the hell you thought you are doing?
-Sorry…
-Hrmph…we now need to get truck to there and try to pull you out.
-Ye…sorry about it…

As Madrias had indeed noted himself, this was tricky to do but he listed only one reason. Terrain was not particularly well suited for doing this quickly and wasn’t designed to accomodate such big vehicles in first place.
Mat has decided he would like to practice shooting with Siviko, Loojoe and newest member by going to hunt with them. Loaded up with ammo and two guns, he went to accompany multi-legged members.
This was interesting experience for both him and new member: both were rather in awe how two older individuals fared up in this occasion and both had some difficulties on their own.
Providing that Shift Happens also decided to stop and hunt a little bit, Mat would get context on just how bad he is as marksman. Good thing those arent known for their mockery of others…
Front claws of newest member are still an issue of kinda painful sort, decreasing her hunting efficiency.
As for Loojoe and Siviko, they are just old with all consequences.
But practice can do wonders and both Mat and six-legged had improved as we move on. These two were also ones responsible for carrying the catch to vehicles where it was stored and some small part eaten.

Pi tried to help in extracting the vehicle, but it became clear that her strength would not be sufficient and there was some gentle slipping and sliding as they attempted to pull and push vehicles back to road.
This did meant there was some mud scraping off the tires after they did reached the road so they dont end up driving on home-made slicks.

Gasstop

Bcos Krta and his company managed to get here first, they shall be covered first. Im sure this group of “soldiers” is at utmost professional level in every single way…

-Commandeer, he…he farted in my face.
-I dont recall that being my problem. Also your breath stinks.
-Yes bcos he farted.
-You said he farted in face, not mouth.
-But mouth is part of face.
-I dont think this is of much importance
-I think it is

Commandeer recollects the thoughts

-I really dont think this is something we need to do. Besides, how he could fart in face if butt and face arent on same level?
-I was asleep and lying on bench.
-That introduces question of how you know that he specifically farted in face
-I had nice dream and suddenly strong bad smell. I opened my eyes and saw butt.

Commandeer made a decision

-Thats on you two to sort out
-But…

Commandeer ignored him and decided to concentrate on more important matters. His underling that was farted and few others noticed subject of interest, deciding this must be seen, as it was following potential (mis)adventure of Kudo, son of their boss Krta.

Kudo and what i think influenced his appearance

Kudo is pronounced as Cudo i guess, but note that C is pronounced as it would be in Coke, Colgate etc.
Rest is pronounced as “udo” in Judo.
We noted he is Krta’s son already, but…he looks very different.

You see, Krta is likely a terrible parent in many measures. Kudo was objected to some experiments by his father, making him look completely unrelated to his father.
Kudo however shows no complaint on his appearance, meaning he likely holds no grudges against dad. Besides, i find it highly unlikely they would work together otherwise.

As for his appearance, just like it was case with his dad, i was likely pulling from piece of local media to do so.
Following pictures are taken from Jet Set, Serbian movie introduced in 2007 directed by Nenad Mitić and denote certain characters in said movie

As you can see, they dont look like rat, mole or human

And equally clearly, they look like (and in fact ARE) aliens

I also noted that one picture has subtitles, as these dont speak Earth languages.
“Some undefined sounds are interfering with our systems, Captain”

Whole thing is avaiable down here but note it has Serb in-built subtitles for aliens and rest of characters just straight out speak in Serbian, needing no in-built subtitles to be understood. Video itself has no option for subtitles of any kind (referring to ones that arent part of video, but auto translated via YT itself).
Can you however understand what is happening and have some laugh along the way? I believe so.

Jet Set - ceo animirani film (serija) - YouTube

Kudo has one black eye, sports human-like hands and feet, usually clothed and has visible mouth, but is otherwise quite similar to these so they are still rather good representative.

With obligatory explanation out of the way, this group saw Kudo approaching one female local.
He tried to flert with her. She wasnt amused. Upon realisation that they in fact have no spoken mutual language, she decided to translate her thoughts into…more universal language.
Thats how, as per unspoken tradition, both of his eyes received hit by her fist, resulting in both being black eyes in similar fashion as per mentioned above.
This was incredibly amusing sight for ones that watched and fella that had received gas to his face decided this is good time to get revenge.

-And thats how i was able to fart in his face
-Hey, i have something for you

Turning around, fella that delivered gas to someone’s face now received gas to his face. Gas in this case was actually a liquid, all 85 RON of it.

-Now we are even

Bucket was returned back.
As it was the case with anyone else passing through this place, these guys topped up their fuel tanks and somehow managed to pay for the pleasure.
For some locals, amusement of watching one traveller being punched twice and another one being splashed with entire bucket of fuel was indeed payment enough.

Many hours later, team Mravolinski-Chitco arrived to the camp and were surprized to see and hear some guy splashed another one with bucket full of gas, explaining still present stain and smell.
As many other teams involved, this team also took opportunity to refill all tanks intended to carry fuel.
Rest of camp was uneventful and soon enough everyone found themselves in beds

1 Like

Stage 11:

Gasstop to Lastgas

Temp. @ Mid-day: 39°C (Hottest stage)

Night-time Low: 27°C

Weather: What has been a drizzle in the morning becomes a torrential downpour for most of the day and well into the evening. Near-absolute humidity and very little wind add to the strain due to the high temperatures.

Camp Challenge: “Agh! Fuck! Snakes!” (Do NOT have a roof rack.)

As we leave the little pit-stop village, our road becomes somewhat more obvious. What was called the “Jungle Highway” on the map also included this lovely little stretch through the Jilbuur Rainforest.

We’re pretty much stuck doing 30 MPH / 50 km/h through here because while there IS a road, it’s almost as well-maintained as the Stage 8 dirt stage, except that it actually is ‘paved’. If you can consider a road that is more pothole than asphalt in area ‘paved’, that is… At times, the road seems barely wide enough to drive two cars on, and at other times, we’re snaking around trees, courtesy of a “road planner” who tried to avoid damaging the jungle he had to put a road through.

If those reasons weren’t enough to make you slow down, however, some of the wildlife probably would. While it was raining, some people heard a heavy thump on the roof and then usually “discovered” the tree snake as it tried to escape from the comparably cold and wet metal “tree” it landed on. Others saw jaguars stalking the forest, but they were jaguars the size of small lions. Worth a crash in this?

After 250 miles of rainforest driving, with an end-cap of 2.5 miles of slightly-less-shitty gravel road at either end for a total distance of 255 miles, we roll into the equally small village of “Lastgas.”

Like the counterpart on the other side, Lastgas is the “last gas stop” before heading through the rainforest. Another 1500-or-so pop-up village performing basic services for travelers, offering food, fuel, and a campground (the outskirts of town, wherever we can find space) to rest up in. For the same reasons as Gasstop, they have a small freight line that is used to deliver fuel tankers, which does technically connect to Gasstop through the rainforest as well… On an equally “well-maintained” bit of rail.

Road Speed: high
Road Condition: good
Traffic: low
Police: very Low

Results Here: SR2023 Stage 11 - Google Drive

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

HD-GV Carry All - No Roof Rack
HD-GV Home Unit - No Roof Rack

It’s a relatively slow drive with both of the giant trucks, especially with Kasiya still hauling double trailers. Thankfully, the vehicles designed to drive through a war zone could handle “a few” potholes. Even the couple of full-blown “road craters” didn’t slow either one down.

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

Robert - No roof rack
Regina/Rainer/Ramona - No roof racks here, either.

Other than having a couple of really good scares when they encountered some rough track, it was a relatively uneventful train ride.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

Walkenhorst UtilXL - No Roof Rack
Sakura Citrine - No Roof Rack

It was slow going, but soon the two cars were out of the rainforest and away from the local wildlife. At least, for making a documentary, the animals made for good footage.

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

Ilaris Imbe Sport - No Roof Rack

Everyone thought it’d be the ping-o-matic under the hood that’d give up in this hellish heat. Instead, it was crashing through a full-blown road crater that crumpled the front suspension up like a beer can. Unfucking the suspension took a long time, made to feel even longer when they realized they were being watched by some rather large jaguars.

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

Schnell L30 - No Roof Rack

The beat-to-hell luxury car manages to make another long stage look easy.

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

IVERA Executive - No Roof Rack
Mayland Ambassador - No Roof Rack

It’s another long, slow drive for both halves of the team. The trip is made a little more nerve wracking courtesy of the large jaguars roaming around.

@Doot

The Knockouts

1325 Facelift - No Roof Rack

Kate breezes through this stage, deftly avoiding holes in the road like she (usually) dodges cops. Octavia, on the other hand, discovered her new “passenger” in camp, a heavy-bodied snake resting up in the roof rack and cargo.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

Saguaro T-REE - No Roof Rack
Kontir Cunningham - No Roof Rack

It’s slow progress today. On the plus side, at least you don’t have to worry too much about the local wildlife.

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

Franklin HiWay - No Roof Rack
FM VanGo - No Roof Rack

It’s safe to say the old ladies are enjoying the scenic jungle tour.

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

Priscilla II - No Roof Rack

Slow but steady wins the race. Or at least, doesn’t wreck the bus.

@Edsel

Bazard E-Series - No Roof Rack

At least the “giant cats” weren’t as scary for the sentient cars, right up until it was pointed out that some of them were big enough to shove around Freddie.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

IP Rugger - No Roof Rack
Sanju Wolverine - No Roof Rack

Sure, it’s called a serpentine belt, but a live serpent makes a poor belt replacement. A snake got caught between a belt and a pulley, broke the belt, got wrapped up in the pulley, and spun around, making both a disastrous mess under the hood of the Rugger, and breaking the cooling fan.

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

KKR S2 - No Roof Rack
Roadmaster Voyage - No Roof Rack

It’s relatively trouble free today, other than a big snake landing right smack in the middle of the Roadmaster’s windshield. Attempting to use the windshield wipers to remove the snake worked… But at the cost of burning out the fuse.

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

Aether 52H - No Roof Rack
Aether 11/2 - No Roof Rack

Things were going well until a small leak was noticed in the Aether 11/2’s suspension. Remembering what happened the last time when the suspension completely failed, the decision was made to patch it as much as they could. Turns out, a fairly good fix could be made in nearly 3 hours.

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Mara Irena - No Roof Rack

The aliens got to look at some wildlife from the safety of their relatively trouble-free Mara, as well as some rather pleasant scenery.

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

The second to arrive in camp, the Ursula had some… Unwanted baggage. Wrestling several live tree snakes out of the roof rack was not fun.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

Reekayns B210 - No Roof Rack
Mocabey Pioneer - No Roof Rack

The Reekayns was doing well until it hit a pothole, then bounced off of a tree, and finally ended up with a very large cat laying on the hood to get some sleep. The Mocabey had less issues and made it to camp first, getting to watch the fun as people with roof racks turned up with snakes onboard.

@IDK158

Team J3

Tiharris Summer - No Roof Rack
Rhien Willow - No Roof Rack

Changing tires on the Tiharris would have been a routine situation if the jaguars hadn’t decided your tires looked like the perfect thing to play with. It took a surprisingly long time to find where the big cats took the spare tire.

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

Torrento Providence II - No Roof Rack

The Torrento hits a road crater and pit-maneuvers the Juggernaut into the tree line. After a long while of maneuvering back and forth to get back onto the road, they make it to camp, where the process of removing snakes from the Juggernaut’s cargo area begins.

Dauer 836RS - No Roof Rack

It’s a trouble free trip into camp for these two vehicles… The trouble starts when you park up. On the bed of the Seikatsu is one big snake.

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

Warren Warlock - No Roof Rack
Bowie Bearcat - No Roof Rack

A road-crater jolts the Warlock hard enough to shut down the engine, damage the front and rear suspension, and bend a steering tie-rod. Luckily, they crashed close enough to camp to just drag the car with the other car into camp and fix it there.

@Xepy

Team “486”

A whole lot of angry snakes accompanied the two Kaufmanns into camp. Sure, you got fourth place… But you may have taken first place for the amount of snakes dragged in.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

A flat tire on the Baumhauer turned into an ordeal when the decision was made, mid tire change, to extract the unwanted passengers from your vehicle. It didn’t really help, as when they rejoined with the Hinode in camp… Both vehicles had snakes to remove.

@SurrealCereal

Blue Wonder - No Roof Rack
Faenza Spirito - No Roof Rack

It’s hard to change tires on the Blue Wonder in this heat. Especially considering one team member’s openly admitted dislike of cats. Several large jaguars prowled around while the tires were changed… On the bright side, at least it wasn’t snakes.

Cunning Stunts

VHT Supermobile - No Roof Rack
Contra UTE - No Roof Rack

The heat causes the Contra to overheat. Thankfully, the great hissing steam dragon under the hood keeps all the cats away.

@EnCR

Team Till D End

JMX Linx - No Roof Rack
Avantii Trailduster - No Roof Rack

A trouble-free run in both vehicles, with only the minor downside of collecting a snake on the Trailduster’s hood, where it rested there, enjoying the warmth for most of the trip.

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

Apparently the snakes really liked the edgy team, because they had snakes everywhere in their cargo. This was made worse by finding out that someone left a window open in the camper, and now there were a fair few snakes in the sleeping area.

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Open cockpit seemed like such a great idea until you found out that driving a car while live snakes fall on you isn’t an easy task. Sure, at first, it was as simple as scooping up the slithering serpent and hurling it overboard. Then it practically started raining snakes. By the time you made it to camp, there were a lot of snakes in the car, on the car, and falling out of the car.

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

Centurion 9000 - No Roof Rack

The four dicks in a truck at least agree, “Dicks in a Truck” is better than “Snakes on a Plane,” and they’d rather have “snakes on a plane” than “Snakes in our Truck.”

4 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 11

Snake...SNAAAKEE

-Boss, are you sure that this is the road?
-Yes.
-Really?
-Yes.
-But…but…
-Do not question guy with map.
-How are you sure we aren’t getting lost?
-We have a map.
-But…its in foreign language…we cant read it
-Its a map, not a book. How hard can it be to follow squiggly lines?
-Uhhhh…very?
-WRONG ANSWER

Another guy attracted their attention

-Question
-Ask then
-We…kinda encountered that road splits in two directions.
-Hmmm, i fail to see the scenario where thats my problem.
-We dont know where to go.

Krta thought little bit and made decision

-You are gonna split and investigate both roads. Then you come back and report. Based on that, we are going to make decision.
-Who is “you”?
-Doesnt really matter in general, but could refer to you as our messenger and this crybaby we already have.
-I was raising valid concern about getting lost.
-WE. HAVE. A. MAP.

He pulled some random map he had avaiable and shown it to them.

-Thats map of Montenegro.
-Wait wtf, why do we have this map? Mrdja stopped going there on vacation many years ago.

True: Even tho im not aware where we went during 2007, i very clearly remember us going to mom’s birthplace in 2008.
So ye pretty long time.

-Will be useful regardless.
But there it is, the map.
-Thats map of road they now take from accomodation to beach.
-Thats stupid, you can clearly see that road goes in two different places or, well, splits in such manner.
-Three issues on that.
First, thats literally on outskirts of city. Right ahead of one standing at intersection is factory. I see no factories here at all. Turn left and you indeed are going to enter the city.
Second, said city has something called “supermarket”. Do these guys know what that could be, much less decide to build multiple of those
Finally, to get to that intersection you go over rails
-This world has rails too

Guy barely kept his cool before continuing

-Yes, but we havent crossed any rails since that other city, while being on this intersection means you literally got over rails and then stopped at intersection
-So?
-Rails would be right behind us…not to mention some parts of crew would extend beyond that, waiting for us in front so THEY can go over rails themself.

For Madrias and whoever else decides to read…
Can you please illustrate that intersection?
Im glad you asked

Finally Krta got correct map, but decided to use Montenegro one by rolling it out and using its new rigidity on chasing out underlings so both paths can be explored.
Resulting silence meant he could relax, with occassional thump or two coming from roof…
Cause of thump would be all too known to ones that attempted to investigate paths, upon realising they have uninvited guests when retrieving some stuff from roof.

-We returned and it seems we found correct path…also this place is full of snakes.
-Hmmm…snakes…those can be useful…
-No, they cant. They are pain in ass to remove from roofs and would just additionally hurt our fighting capability.
-How so?
-Eating our food for no benefit to us…they would likely not be any kind of challenge for our opponents
-Good points, yes. Leave them there for time being, we might deal with that later.

Progress was slow, but secure. Occassional crunch meant some snake would fall from roof or branch and get hurt by next vehicle

-Why we stopped?
-Some big cat is on road

Horn was activated BEEEEEEEEEEEP

-CAN YOU FUCKING MOVE?!?!?

Nehmenweld’s jaguars however arent particularly known for knowledge and understanding of Serbian language.
And there would be some more joining in, showing this one was likely some sort of their boss.
It also becomes clear that its male

-OH GOD, WHY ARE THEY DOING IT HERE??!?
They are slowing us down
-This is their forest, i think they have right to fuck mate anywhere they please
-But couldnt they just…do it somewhere else?
-They chose to do it here
-Lemme get my gun

He got his gun

-Would you like to be interrupted doing that?
-I never did that.
-Ah, so you are jealous of them.
-NO, IM JUST ANGRY WE CANT MOVE FURTHER
-Anger is one of signs of jealousy
-IM NOT JEALOUS
-THEN WATCH AND LEARN
-Im done with all of you

Gun dropped to floor was followed by this guy going elsewhere, eruption of laughter being in vehicles upon hearing it all through CB radio
Others waited patiently for process to be finished

Journey would be unremarkable and they arrived in Lastgas with no issues.
Impatient one met bucket of fuel and overall ridicule by everyone

War between this sizeable bunch of idiots and equally sizeable bunch of snakes had began, such battle being properly rivalled on these forums only by Dyre battle from last year.
Unlike that battle, both sides receive hefty losses in effective personnel, sometimes caused by themselves…
Locals witnessing the epic fight would likely remember how one of Krta’s soldiers took about six others using snake.
He swung around the snake in similar fashion to hammer throw but with snake, knocking unconscious said 6 colleagues, snake itself and himself
Others went in punching contest when introduced to this type of opponent
One guy threw snake from roof of his vehicle, only for it to land on another roof, becoming another man’s problem.

Fight was long and hard, but about 90% of snakes are now not in roof racks
Few of them actively engaged in fight survived, including one knocked out by being swung around, and decided to leave the battlefield.
They now faced locals, who would afterwards also fight Krta’s people…something about “you endanger children and elderly with snakes you brought” or “my GF shat herself in fear upon seeing snake nearby” was mostly mentioned as reason
Another 10% were just chilling during fight and was decided to not fight them anymore, due to injuries sustained during fight with others.

Rest of time was spent filling up (again), occassional napping and some drinking.

-Do we do it?
-We got no choice.
We will activate them all so we can continue this gruesome journey.

And so, they would attempt to reawaken AntiRenata and her underlings, knowing full-well this might mean their cover is blown and Team Mravolinski-Chitco may realise they would have certain company along for a ride
Andrea Chitco and AntiRenata are based off same RL person: you could even note that Andrea is technically advanced version of AntiRenata, but taking way different lifepath. As such, they can read each other’s minds…and feel presence of the other.

Toto’s Africa

This ends up as rather tough stage for Loojoe and Siviko, as they face both high temperature and high humidity. Chicota and Amanda were given control over cars and, with that, this stage started.

-We will do something about her…eventually.
-That would be nice to hear, as she clearly still suffers from that fight.
-Not the time for that however…not yet.
-Are you sure?
-Well…deny me. Im pretty sure we can analyse other claws and compare that to front ones to find what’s wrong. Then we can get blood sample and use that to potentially repair her
-Sounds like pretty good plan
-And i guess we might need to bring her with us, then.
-Oh yes, i would love that.

Another member chimed in

-I agree there, she is lovely
-I knew you would say that.
-Eh…i guess so.
-That has it settled then.
Andrea, how is your wound recovering?
-Hmm, thats not that important…but thanks for asking.
I can feel it slowly heals. Besides, we have fair bit of options ready in my case.
-Such as?

Andrea giggled

-Why would you want to know?
-Maybe i can help.
-Maybe you can. Either way, its not urgent and…well, it can wait.

-This sounds quite relaxing. Its in foreign language, but…well…sounds nice and relaxing.
-Its Toto’s Africa.
Language is English. We are communicating with other teams using it. Its global language.
-That seems like we might need to sharpen up our language skills.
-Or use some kind of translator to and from Serbian.
-Could work, but i guess it would be nicer to actually know the language.
-Dont be too ambitious. Every day you wake up and live might as well be seen as miracle. You are old, after all.
-Yes and this might be my first and last Shitbox Rally. It’s great fun, but i guess that Siviko and i might get something and go on journey of our own.
I also noticed you aren’t as snarky as usual.
Is it bcos of fight with Kasiya?
-I dont see reason for that.
-He may happen to be first genuine opponent you faced.
-I didnt striked with full force
-Neither did he.
-I once tanked hit by M80 Wasp. It knocked me away by fair amount, but i was fine.
-I have no idea what you are talking about.
-I heard thats how its called.

Actually, according to Wikipedia, its probably fine to say Zolja, which is Serb term for “wasp”.
Apparently, this is anti-tank rocket-propelled grenade launcher capable of punching through 300mm of rolled homogenous armor.
I might poke some proud American by stating that M80 can expell its projectile tad bit faster than their M72 LAW and therefore would have just a tiny bit more range. Both Wikipedia pages do refer to other as similar weapon.

Ofc, to use this feat as completely representative of Amanda’s durability would be ignoring fact she was physically moved by projectile over distance noone cared to specifically mention.
And with that, we shall continue

-He could be stronger than you and easily do so
-I could lift about 1330-ish kg over my head.
-And he weighs a lot himself.
-500 kg. So to overcome me in my fighting mode, he would need to be able to do so with 3 times his own mass.
Actually i would give him that one, he did felt sufficiently strong.
-He was able to deal with your attacks quite efficiently too.
-Im more agile, but he aint slow either. Also seems he might…have better fighting strategy?
-Perhaps

Seeing that Amanda is used to receive attacks that cant hurt her, call yourself surprized that Kasiya, who has picked up some fencing himself, would be smarter about it.
I guess that some sword fight could be interesting, but…i guess Kasiya’s skill and experience would prevail in that instance as well

-Either way, i find that challenging him to an actual fight would be bad idea.
-Im glad to see that you dont perceive yourself as being the best thing ever introduced to some fighting anymore.
-Thats what you like to think.
But yes, i feel that kind of male would be good partner. Imagine the strength and physical prowess his children may have…hell, he is kinda like our older Aydar in that regard.
-I wouldnt like to be in place of his partner. She might get squashed or…well, destroyed in another fashion.
Child birth could be death of her.
-As it almost was for mother of younger Aydar.

Just like his son and ancestor (dogs that participated last year) he can shoot urine under high pressure. Same applied to child-making juice, which meant he could reproduce with much smaller partner by directing the stream in target.
This resulted in younger Aydar.
Granted, directly after his birth, he would be considered a puppy by technicality of just being born.
Nevermind the fact he was both stronger than Amanda and as heavy as her (and Loojoe) at that point. His mom needed lot of reconstructive surgery after his birth and apparently lived.

-This was interesting conversation.
-What are you going to do if Siviko and this new kitty hook up together?
Would you abandon the plan of travelling around?
-Im looking forward to it, but, i see no issue in them being able to travel along. Im unlikely to oppose having third member in our travels. Or fourth. Or fifth.
-Are you sure you would be able to handle kittens?
-I would be their granpa. Granpas are never, atleast to my knowledge, ones to utilise strictness and force.
They are going to pamper the child and watch over children when parents need some me-time.

My grandparents and aunt that also happens to be grandparent to some kids would indeed follow behaviour described above.

-Its left to her, then, if she would even want to join. Might grow too fond of having stable place to sleep and guaranteed food and water.
-Thats unlikely to be problem either way you look at it, but seems you are correct there.
We will see

Camp once again offered pretty basic experience and some story or two about some weird group fighting snakes they gathered in forest.
Someone again got bucketload of fuel to face, which dies seem like very weird thing to happen in two different towns.
Ok, this town is about as populous as village from which im typing this, but still.
Chicota and Amanda had connected power and went around camp to help with snakes and their safe yeetage back in forest, while remaining team had grouped into human-based and non-human-based subgroups: Pi, Andrea and Mat in former and Siviko, Loojoe and new member in later
These had occupied one vehicle each, hung out and went to sleep.

Interestingly, snake yeeters would catch on theme upon their arrival and Chicota joins non-humans being completely robot.
Amanda is in other group, courtesy of partially being based on human (technically she is like VerBanka’s duplicate but with nanomachines).
They too went to sleep soon, prepping for new day and stage…

2 Likes

Stage 12:

Lastgas to Seacrest Overlook

Temp. @ mid-day: 29°C

Night-time Low: 22°C

Weather: Today, humidity is still high, but less so than yesterday. Winds pick up a bit, moving the thunderous clouds of yesterday elsewhere. Thus, today is mostly dry and sunny with some cloud cover.

Camp Challenge: “Wind in Your Hair” (Did anyone bring a convertible?)

As we resume our voyage northward on the Jungle Highway, we leave the little village of Lastgas in our rear view mirrors and head toward the second-to-last town on our little trip.

That town is Seacrest Overlook, a healthy 500,000 people strong, with another example of “build up, not out” design, though with a much safer material choice than Moonshadow Village had used. Stone and concrete buildings create a skyline we’re able to see from several miles away… Thanks to this stage being mostly flat with a little bit of a downhill trend to it.

We’re pretty much stuck on the highway at 55 MPH / 90 km/h because of all the police cars. Traffic is light in both directions, other than the occasional spot where someone was pulled over and all the locals brought the road to a crawl so they could stare.

On the way into town, we’re all forced to wait for a freight train to cross the road, rumbling its way into the freight depot with an early diesel engine hauling a not-exactly-small train behind it.

As we get to the campground, it’s obvious that we were expected. First, the locals made an unloading platform for a certain team’s unusual means of transportation. Second, they also made a primitive wooden parking platform for another team’s incredibly heavy vehicles so they wouldn’t dig holes getting going in the morning. Third, a few of those locals want to talk to the group of people that have driven their way from the “cold south” all the way up here. Luckily, this expectation also means they thought enough to at least get the outdoor bathroom unlocked and functioning, so no bucket toilets tonight, we have proper flush toilets to use.

Road Speed: very high
Traffic: high
Police: very high

Stage Results Here: SR2023 Stage 12 - Google Drive

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

Between Takaraya getting a warning for his speed, and Kasiya having trailer trouble causing significant delays, the Shift Happens crew are the last ones to arrive.

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

15 minutes are lost to a signal set at danger. It turns out that you caught up to one of the many freight trains on this route and had to wait until it cleared the section.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

Convertible - Walkenhorst UtilXL FireRescue

The Walkenhorst gets stopped with a warning for speeding. The Citrine actually gets a ticket.

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

The engine got a nice long break to cool down after a tire exploded and tore up the front left fender. Between the damage done to the fender, the braking system, and then making sure it hadn’t actually managed to do any structural damage, it was a very long stop.

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

The police stop (a warning for speeding) brought to light the electrical gremlins that the Schnell has. Nearly 5 hours were lost in trying to get the engine to restart.

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

The Mayland breezed ahead to the end of the stage with no troubles, while the IVERA was stalled by people being very curious about the idea of a car you could camp in.

@Doot

The Knockouts

Kate gets tackled by another Dyre in uniform after a successful PIT maneuver sends her car crashing off the side of the road and into a ditch. It appears that someone has been informing the highway patrol crews that she’s a bit of an escape artist, so now they’re no longer taking chances.

Octavia, on the other hand, has a leisurely drive to the new camp for the night.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

The Saguaro bursts a tire and savagely slams into the rear corner of the Kontir, spinning it out and causing cargo to go everywhere. It’s an extensive cleanup effort followed by a few hours putting a spare tire on the Saguaro… After fixing the mess that hitting the Kontir made of the fender so it wouldn’t cut a line into the brand new tire.

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

The VanGo loses a lower radiator hose and overheats. It takes a while to fix it, and even longer to find enough clean water to fill the radiator up.

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

The highly decorated party bus rumbles onward with no troubles or problems.

@Edsel

Like the other bus, there’s no issues today.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

It’s slower progress today because the Rugger’s cooling fan is, well, still quite badly broken. Rather than risk burning up the engine, the crew holds a more reasonable speed. Marie isn’t particularly happy that if the Rugger overheats, she may have to tow it.

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

Convertible - KKR S2

Perhaps having the wind in your hair is the reason you got a speeding ticket? The rental minivan is, so far, in reasonable condition enough that it’s possible you won’t get fined for returning it like this. But will it stay that way?

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

Other than getting pulled over for speeding (with the 52 H getting a ticket, the 11/2 just a warning), the two Aethers prove that perhaps camouflage is an advantage out here.

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Between a speeding ticket and another burst tire, it’s a long, long stop trying to get back on the road.

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

The plan of “Just floor it everywhere” seems to be working so far.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

Another team proves that speed can be a benefit, if you’re willing to risk the odds of spending some time in jail. With no breakdowns, the Spy Kids are safe… This time.

@IDK158

Team J3

Other than a warning for speeding, team J3 has no troubles on this stage.

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

The Nehmenweld Highway Patrol had to admit, this was a first for them. It wasn’t speeding that got the Torrento pulled over. It was the rolling burnouts that they were doing. After a warning not to do it again, they were back on the road again.

Just a warning for speeding for the crew in the Dauer today.

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

The Warren Warlock gets pulled over for speeding again.

@Xepy

Team “486”

No troubles for team 486 here today.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

A warning for speeding reminds the crew in the Hinode ambulance that they stand out like sore thumbs out here.

@SurrealCereal

The Blue Wonder gets pulled over and given a ticket for speeding. The Faenza escapes justice once again.

Cunning Stunts

Just a warning for speeding in the VHT Supermobile today.

@EnCR

Team Till D End

The JMX Linx gets a warning for speeding, and then spends a fair bit of time on the side of the road changing out a tire that was about ready to burst for a safe spare. Part of the delay was waiting for their ears to stop ringing after the tire blew up in the trunk.

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

The RV had some significant delays right from the start. Who knew that all of the “rescued” snakes from yesterday would decide to take refuge under the hood of the RV? Likewise, who knew that when it was started, the snakes would snap all of the belts, break the fan, and knock the radiator hoses off. It took a long time to get the repairs done, but once they were finished, the run was relatively trouble free. The only issue was for the MCMOTD, where they got a warning for speeding.

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Convertible - Haapala Streetcruiser

Another team that was pulled over and given a warning today for speeding. Is it a coincidence that all three convertibles got pulled over today? Probably.

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

Other than a speeding ticket, it’s a trouble-free run for the Centurion today.

4 Likes

Stage 13

Seacrest Overlook to Shippingburg

Temp. @ mid-day: 28°C
Night-time Low: 19°C
Weather: It remains dry, with moderate cloud cover, but stronger, gusty winds. By the evening, the clouds clear up, granting the opportunity to experience a spectacular sunset by the coastline.

Camp Challenge: “Most attractive car” (Most stops by police. In the event of a tie, the highest time wins.)

We leave Seacrest Overlook at dawn and head onto an old, familiar friend. It’s Highway Route 1, that same highway we ended up on in stage 2.

Yes, we could have just taken the highway up here, but that would have been boring.

Plus, if today’s drive was a common sight, we’d have been begging for dirt.

Signs were posted, of course, for 55 MPH / 90 km/h. The highway was packed with traffic, however, averaging 40 MPH / 65 km/h. Anyone planning on a shoulder pass or to do a little weaving would have a real bad time with the police, too, as it seemed every 30 cars or so had a patrol unit nearby.

The cause for the traffic snarl? An overturned dump truck had spilled its contents into the main driving lane, about 20 miles from the Shippingburg exit. Between people staring at the turtled truck on its side, the huge pile of dirt and rocks in the road, and the traffic laws preventing passing on the right, people were moving slowly.

Luckily, as we made it into the city of Shippingburg, we were greeted with perhaps the most modern-looking city yet. Nearing a million people in town, with a fair mix of sprawl and tall showing that they built UP first, and OUT when they couldn’t go up any more, a cargo port that gave the city its name with one hell of a freight rail connection, and a beautiful coastal beach looking out into the “Great Water,” the local name for the ocean, it was a fair sight to see.

Of course, our goal was the beach.

When it was discovered that the circular road around the city had the highest speeds, what had been a peaceful country drive erupted into snarling and roaring engines, screaming tires, and vehicles hurtling “around the ring” like maniacs were behind the wheel. Any lost time from the highway was made up by turning the ring around the city into a demented right-turn-only NASCAR race to the beach, albeit with some restraint for not annoying the city police.

That restraint… Yeah, it went out the window the moment tires touched the sand and it was apparent no one was in harm’s way as it turned into a 300 meter sprint in vehicles on sand.

Thankfully, most teams backed off as we saw the locals had put up a finish line for us (courtesy of our dropped map a while back) and had prepared a mild beach party.

Road Speed: N/A
Road Condition: N/A

Results Here: SR2023 Stage 13 - Google Drive

Camp Challenge Winner:

Mikonp7 (Haapala Streetcruiser) - 8 stops and 158 hours

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

Takaraya earns himself a warning once they get into Shippingburg, not realizing that “right turn on red” is a uniquely American thing, and doesn’t apply to Nehmenweld. Kasiya is very-much-annoyed that he’s spent most of the rally dragging both trailers.

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

Remember the derailment all the way back in stage 5?
Turns out that it did more harm than initially expected, as the left outer tie rod decides to submit its 25 second notice. Luckily, innate stability due to suspension geometry and wheel flanges prevented another derailment, but crawling along at about 15mph to the next suitable location and THEN spending quite a while jerri-rigging a repair for that tie rod surely killed the mood.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

The Walkenhorst gets a warning for driving a bit too fast on city streets. The Sakura, on the other hand, earns a full ticket for “failing to stop for a stop sign.” A “California Roll” does not fly with the cops here.

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

Despite the engine sounding like a sack of hammers in a tumble-dryer, the Imbe makes it along with the three remaining crew members.

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

After being pulled over and given a warning for “driving like an idiot” after driving the wrong way on a one-way street, the clapped out Schnell decides now is the perfect opportunity to cost a bunch of time when the rear shock absorbers break. The car never has to stop, but every bump sends the luxury car bouncing up and down like an eight-year-old with a pogo stick in a bouncy castle.

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

It’s a problem free run to the end of this stage, although the mood is not great courtesy of not finding the thing you were looking for on this trip.

@Doot

The Knockouts

Kate makes it to the beach at full speed, sirens wailing behind her for most of the trip. Octavia is stuck at the side of the road for nearly four total hours, spending 30 minutes each time to let the badly-overheated engine cool off. An inspection in camp confirms that the water pump failed.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

For once, the truck with the giant camper makes it to the finish line with the camper still in one piece. The Saguaro also makes it, kicking sand into the passenger compartment of the Kontir with a lazy victory donut for making it to the finish.

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

When the VanGo’s engine practically exploded on the highway, the only option was to tow it into town and let a local wizard fix it. Unfortunately, said local wizard relied heavily on ritual magic, and so what could have been a 6 hour fix turned into nearly an 18 hour repair session.

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

The drive is a smooth and simple one, but the beach party is likely to be outright wild.

@Edsel

Like the other bus, there’s really no trouble on this part of the trip.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

After making it to the finish line, it’s very clear that Marie wants to get properly drunk. It’s also clear we plan to stay here for an extra day, as the Shift Happens crew has set up an ocean-facing gun range. Whether that means Marie gets a day of drinking or not is, well, still up to Andreas, Janne, and Arne.

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

The KKR ends up causing a fairly annoying delay after doing a little bit of drifting in the city. After beaching the car on a guard rail, they wait for a tow truck to extract their car from the rail, and take a ticket from the local police for “unlawful and aggressive use of a motor carriage.”

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

The rather unique Aether Hydropneumatic Suspension system has caused trouble again. The patch done in Stage 11 held up wonderfully - The line blew out a foot further away and dropped the 11/2 onto its frame on the road.

Determined not to miss the festivities, Ze’ev and Storm decided to put blocks in the suspension to allow them to tow it with the 52 H into camp, where it was fixed several very long hours later and “driven” a foot to stop the clock.

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Ticket? Yep, the disguised aliens couldn’t talk their way out of this one after finding out that no country allows a left turn on red.

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

It’s a trouble-free run to the finish for the fast-moving crossover.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

The Mocabey is the first to make it into camp. The Reekayns, on the other hand, failed to make a corner properly and got hung up on a guard rail. After the crew bailed out and went in separate directions to make capture more difficult, the Shippingburg Police Department sent out a full force of “retrieval teams.” The crew of the Reekayns, now properly bruised from being hunted down by trained Dyre and angry policemen, end up in jail for the next 12 hours. Convincing them afterward to release your car from the impound lot takes another 6 hours of waiting in line.

@IDK158

Team J3

The Tiharris gets pulled over and given a warning for driving on the sidewalk. Otherwise, nothing much happens here for Team J3.

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

“We do not understand this “drifting,” but please stop doing it. It irritates the Dyre, it makes them angry,” the officer said during the warning he gave to the driver of the Torrento. In the back of his patrol truck, visible through the thick-barred cage where a truck bed should go, was an 11 foot tall werewolf wearing body armor, indeed looking quite irritated at the tire smoke.

Once they got into camp, the Torrento was used to create a sandstorm by doing some donuts on the beach. The Juggernaut almost got stuck until it was driven onto one of the many platforms set out to keep the heavier vehicles from sinking into the sand overnight.

Other than a casual warning for speeding for the Dauer, it’s a trouble free run. Somehow, even the wide Seikatsu has no major issues getting to the beach. It’s parked up on a platform to avoid it sinking in the sand.

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

The Warren Warlock earns another ticket, this time courtesy of taking a “shortcut” through a gas station to avoid a red light. They counted it as running the red light, unfortunately.

@Xepy

Team “486”

Luck holds out for the two Kaufmanns as they rocket through the city and avoid the police.

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

How long does it take to fix a broken drive axle? About 12 hours, about half of which was spent getting the vehicle to a suitable wizard in the first place.

@SurrealCereal

The Faenza develops a misfire and gets caught. The Blue Wonder has to go quite some distance off of the intended path to retrieve the car before the police have it impounded, and after loading the little yellow lump of cheese on the back, ends up getting a ticket after several bumps cause the headlights to blind the driver of a police car.

Cunning Stunts

The VHT Supermobile gets pulled over and given a warning, this time for a particularly mundane reason: It has a brake light burned out.

@EnCR

Team Till D End

The Linx gets a warning after hopping the curb and squealing tires on the way into the gas station.

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

“Get this ridiculous thing out of my sight.” The MCMOTD got a warning for “disturbing the peace.”

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Another crazy drifting team that found out that guard rails bite and the towing services here are fucking slow. Also a team that found out that crashing your car typically results in getting at least a warning from the police if they suspect you were doing something “stupid.”

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

The four dicks in a truck quickly found out that “I got shoved through the light by my trailer” doesn’t fly around here. A red-light ticket later, they make it to the beach, where they park up on one of the platforms to keep their rig from sinking.

5 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 12

@Madrias’s Kasiya was mentioned doing something in second part of post.
Interaction was checked and approved by Madrias

PIT and Bang

Morning in Gasstop was rather regular affair, up until it was time for Chicota to make breakfast

-We have breakfast?
-That depends on whether or not you make it.
-Oh cmon, am i really obliged to make it now?
-Yes, your cooking skills are noted as pretty good
-I didn’t poison anyone if you are refering to that, but thats hardly enough for “pretty good”.

Loojoe pushed Siviko aside

-How about we scavenge some meal from around camp?
-Like in good old days?
-Yes
-Wouldnt that seem weird?
Actually, now that i thought about it, seems like plan.
And we might even encounter someone that left fair bit of meat on bone.
-Also faster than this argument can be solved

And so, our expert dumpster divers now decided to put skills to good use, but preferably intercept food before it reaches trash can.
On subject of lack on suitable language to communicate, well, they would try to pick out only stuff that VERY obviously isnt useful to others.
Will get to that later with how they did and what were results

Now we turn attention to Amanda that took stroll around camp.

-Lemme retrieve the cable
-Ok

Generator car was visited and other end of cable retrieved.

-(thinking) I could take look around camp, i guess. Not much to do otherwise.

This is interesting bunch in one place for sure.
So many teams and yet our team knows of them so little, most if not all known ones having experience participating in previous SR.
There were various interesting members along the way of both known and unknown variety.
Several times, her road intercepted two older members of our team and sometimes she would be close enough to hear certain argument still ongoing…

-How about Andrea cooking, then?
-No way, she might not know how to cook.
-“Might” was unneeded
-My point exactly
-Amanda?
-She is over there, being amused by Marie’s desire to do less driving and more drinking beer.
-I can hear you…and answer is that im not gonna cook for anyone
-That is also out, then
-Mat?
-Not feeling confident in trying to make sufficient breakfast in foreign environment using unknown ingredients for much more people im used to.

He and Chicota look at each other
This lasted for some time

-Will get on it

-I knew they would not progress much further here.
-Ye…

Original plan of getting food scraps gave rather limited result, but another food source had revealed itself…by trying to attack them.

-Seems that snakes had hidden in some other cars.
-Yes, i also needed to jump away.
This gives me great idea tho…those too are some sort of meat
-That’s certainly one very interesting idea…im in.

Insert the part where both of them try to bring snake down then succeed when some proper rocks were found.
Siviko was tasked to get back and get some knife.
Dealing with few more that showed interest in situation did meant they had most of their breakfast made of snakes.

-What the fuck?!?
-One of these attacked us, prob intending to eat us. We decided we prefer other way around.
-Rather crazy
-And you lot still havent made breakfast on your own.
THATS rather crazy if im being honest.
-That’s bcos he argued and that led us back to him.
-Let’s just drop that subject altogether
-Ok

She was rather reluctant on this weird food brought, but after seeing these two are going at it, she joined on the fun.
And afterwards, its all usual affair of packing up and hitting the road.

PIT i kamp

On the road it was business as usual with obligatory fuel top-up for Saguaro.
Andrea was driving the Kontir and made sure to keep some distance from car in front, which in most cases was Saguaro.
That was ofc before that fateful decision to pass it at one point, going as hard as she could
Suddenly, front left tire of Saguaro blew out in dramatic fashion and as such unwanted PIT-ing the Kontir happened

-What the fuck…oh come on
-Wasn’t my fault
-Yes, but didn’t we already had fair bit of trouble with tires? I thought that was solved.
-Seems not and damn, this was violent

Stuff scattered around due to them exiting the Kontir seemed to agree on this last part.

-Ah yes, that too is usual problem by now.
-Better get busy collecting it all, then.

Team split in two parts where Chicota and Amanda sorted out that tire and rest picked up belongings from road.

-Hmm, seems that went smoothly.
-True…oh wait, look at this
-Its…its rubbing the tire
-Yes, so we need to sort that out as well before going any further
-Wonderful

Afterwards, Chicota was useful in weight reduction on beer bottles, discipline in which he holds PhD in for quite a long time.
Amanda was similarly useful, but no beer was slain by her hand
Rest cleaned up the mess

-Oh good, train crossing
-Yes. I wonder if we could try to squeak past?
-Not smart idea: some proper train could delete entire car out of existance. Only two members of team could reasonably survive such crash.
-Eh, as far as we know, that could be Valentin and his crew
-Which likely would be rather hard hit indeed. Besides, he would NOT be amused by this move likely taking out both our and his team.

Due to deciding to not play smart-asses, team therefore was able to see this indeed was not Valentin’s “train”, but real deal.
As is usually the case (which is happily situation yours truly doesnt encounter often) wait for train to pass was in no way nice or exciting, not helped by it being on longer side.

Camp happened to be rather nicely equipped, as locals expected and embraced the group.
There was no doubt in that, also due to presence of lot of interested locals, desiring to know more about this unusual group coming.

-Hello, we are interested in meeting you
-That was really hard to tell
-Wait, really?
-I was being sarcastic
-Ah.

Some guy had decided this is good time to do something

-John, not again.
-I want to show them how good of a cook i am.
-Ok?
-John Doe, probably best cook in my district

Andrea had…certain thoughts and decided to ask for whatever John cooks.
As he did prepared something for this exact reason, she would be soon holding something akin to glass or a cup with liquid inside.
Chicota was not convinced, but she was sure this was to her expectations.
She took a sip

-So, do you like it?
-Well, im not picky in this regard. It is good juice.
-Juice?

Chicota was allowed to take over and take sip himself.

-Indeed. This seems to be apple juice.
-It is
-It is. Im serving it in my restaurant.
-Oh, you have restaurant?
-Yes, where im serving apple juice.

Andrea decided to go for question that might intrigue more than her

-Is there anything else served in there?
-No. Apple juice is sufficient.
-Its a drink. For something to be considered restaurant, it should have some choice of different food. And, well, drinks, but i guess food is kinda essential.
-Food like white rice?
-Yes, that is considered food. Do you know how to prepare that?
-No, but my sister Jane does.
-Great! She works at your restaurant?

John’s expression turned sour

-She has her own. Admitedly, she was always better cook than me.
Only way she might be willing to give me recipe is for me to defeat her in cooking battle, where we prepare food and three independent people judge them.
That might allow me to take over her restaurant as well, which would be nice, but…yeah, one can dream.

Andrea was rather amused by this entire conversation

-There might be someone out there that could defeat her. But, i feel it will probably need to wait for right person to show up.
-I guess so
-Juice was nice tho
-Thanks

John would soon get lost in the crowd going towards rail-capable quartet, probably trying to impress them as well with his apple juice- making skill.
I doubt he would be distinctive by any other measure, tho
Another individual also got straight to the point

-How does it work?
-Fundamentally, its no different from what we saw roaming around streets here.
Its just that, with tad bit more advanced technology, whole thing ends up being more refined, efficient, capable and fair bit of other “more” things.
-This is newest and greatest of your technology?
-No, there are more advanced designs. Blue big thing is younger design of the two here and is 28y old.
38y old basic design, seeing that model was produced by decade before our particular car stepped into scene.
Newest allowed by event regulations would still be like 13y old vehicles.
-Why so?

Chicota thought about it

-Well, “Shitbox Rally” as this event is known, is basically rally done in what we refer to as shitboxes.
These vehicles are at best indeed going to be rather good choice for a daily, car you can indeed rely on working well with not much of an issue.
However, they are more often than not in not so great of condition due to lack of care, rough use or some other factors.
Their reputation could also play important role in that: vehicle that is widely known for engine that might break down or has tendency to rust is not going to be as desirable as something that does well in both regards.
-All of these can be described as such?
-Not really tbh. Hosts, composed of that rail-going group and those two 10-wheelers with trailers, do not seem to play by said rules here.
Admitedly i personally prefered last year’s run in that regard due to fact hosts too used shitbox in that.
-Salty much?

Chicota chuckled

-Although i might have prefered if everyone is in shitboxes personally, i cant deny they likely had very good reasons for doing so.
-I swung by them earlier and was impressed by what im told.
Tall blonde guy said something along lines of “I decided to engineer steam-powered car and im now testing it.”
We also took a peek where it was possible to do so: amount of stuff they brought is immense.
Goes for both sides of host team btw

Silence

-Based on information i got and my own observations, this makes sense.
I guess they could have went cheaper route, but at same time i feel that they wanted to be ABSOLUTELY SURE they can get to every camp in timely manner and set it up.
Some lessons were taken from said last year and they are leaving no chances to some issues group had.

His attention now came to one of nearby lights set by them for making sure camp is lit

-Oh well, i see this light is not as bright as i think it should be.
-It emits no light at all

Kid had started crying

-I…i accidentally tripped over some long thing on ground…light had gone not lighting stuff
-Long black thing seems kinda similar to this?

Chicota had shown power cable that provides electricity

-Much less thick
-Ye, that must have been power supply cable for that light.
Lemme make a call and please be quiet

Therefore CB radio got used

-Chicota here from Mravolinski-Chitco team. Seems that one of nearby lights for camp got turned off.
I suspect that might be due to some local kid tripping on it and unplugging it as result.

Kasiya responded

“I see it. I’ll be there as quickly as I can to fix the lighting problem. It’s either an unplugged cable or a burned out light bulb.”

-Kid admited to tripping over it. Its one of locals with whom we are talking here.

As this seemed like rather reasonable scenario, other side would gently inform whoever was avaiable for hard job of walking over and plugging it back or do so personally.
Either way, prob scariest member of rally (if absolutely shit-scared kid is to be asked) was on the way, indeed confirming cable seems like something tripped over and getting unplugged as result.
Cable plugged back in, he returned to his team vehicles.

-Well, there is that sorted out
-He is sooo big
-To my knowledge, biggest and heaviest rally participant.
-Pretty strong too. Speaking from experience

Locals were rather shocked on this “experience” part.
Noone dared to ask for clarification.

-Would it be possible to get a car that is newer than 13y old, but could still be reasonably fit for this rally?
-That might be quite a stretch. Its probably not fully impossible, but very very hard.
Vehicle would need to be insanely cheap to qualify, as rules said that it must be reasonably purchased for 2000 US dollars or equivalent in local currency.
For reference, closest new cars that existed to that mark were some rather old designs, but still sold due to their affordability and familiarity.
Granted, both stopped production in 2008, but would likely be kind of vehicles that would qualify in this “new car for very very small amount of money” role.
Those were rather affordable vehicles without much equipment or particularly notable size. Engines would at best be 1300cc inline 4s, but 1100cc ones were ones surviving to the end.

Local was taken aback at such detailed description

-You mentioned they were old designs. Just how old?
-Beggining of 70s and beggining of 80s, respectively
-Huh? What 70s and 80s are you talking about?
-Oh, allow me to correct myself. 1970s and 1980s, not sure on exact year for either.
Either way, we were talking about sub-4000 euros for new car. 2000 dollars would be tad bit weaker in value compared to 2000 euro, but springing up for more expensive cars results in looking at spending about 2 or 3k more than these cheap cars.
Both dollars and euros are currencies of world we came in. They are just used in different parts of it.

Someone else joined on convo

-Were they any good?
-Depends on your criteria for what makes car good. Also on who you decide to ask.
They were both competitive designs back when they were originally introduced, but due to changes that ranged from small to non-existant, they at one point became archaic in eyes of more developed parts of world.
Their sole market as their time was going up was able to appreciate them for what they are and neglect their shortcomings to some extent.
-Nice.

There was also some more small talk, but eventually locals thinned out and camp slowly drifted to sleep…

1 Like

Stage 13.2

Shippingburg

Temp. @ mid-day: 27°C

Night-time Low: 19°C

Weather: Dry, with very little, if any, wind and practically zero cloud-cover. The seas are calm and very inviting.

This is less of a stage but more of an extended stay at the beachside. After all, why make a road trip if you cannot enjoy the destination for at least a little while? Not much changes locally, since none of the teams actually moved further than maybe doing some fun donuts in the sand. Assuming they did not get stuck doing them.

Road Speed: very high

Results Here: SR 2023 Stage 13.2 - Google Drive

What? You expected team blurbs? I just told you above that no one traveled any significant distance.

4 Likes

Team VSmgAB & Team Shift Happens

Stage 1 Drive (VSmgAB)
Stage 1 Drive (Shift Happens)
Stage 2 Drive/Camp (Shift Happens)
Stage 2 Camp (VSmgAB + Shift Happens)
Stage 3 Camp (VSmgAB + Hillbilly Rollers + Aeromad + Ambassadors) Part 1, Part 2
Stage 4 and 5; “send it!”
Stage 6 and 7 “Catching Up” (VSmgAB)
Stage 8 “Target Practice” (VSmgAB and Shift Happens)

It was only fitting, Kayden thought, that Shitbox Rally started with a bit of “before the race” target practice, and now it ended with some “after the race” target practice. The range they’d set up the day before was still intact, their backdrop still out to sea, the targets now having a fine layer of wind-tossed sand dust clinging to them. In other words, the range was almost exactly the way they’d left it.

The end result was that everyone in Shift Happens had come out for a bit of shooting. Kivenaal, Takaraya, and Malavera carried their rifles out to the range while Kaylie, Kayden, Jayde, Kasiya, and Rukari brought pistols with them.

They hadn’t been at the range too long before they had some added company, though it had been long enough for Jayde to have a 4-inch group of 6 shots on one of the 100 meter targets.

That company was in the ‘speshul forces’ a good 30 feet further down the beach near the firing lanes, themselves preparing for their target shooting exercise.

The group of now 5 was stood around a rather crude fixed-wing drone with a Nitromethane engine up front.

Next to it, a banner of sorts just laid there in the sand.

“Alright. No enemy is just gonna stand there like a cardboard cutout and wait for you to shoot them.
Which is why we are aiming for moving targets today. A target is attached to the drone, which in turn will drag the target behind itself.
We shall take turns piloting and aiming.” Constantin explained, gathering a wave of excitement from the recruits.

Only a couple of minutes later, the drone was ready as the Nitrometh-Engine screamed to life, followed by a couple pre-flight checks to make sure everything was functional.
Constantin was first to pilot, with Jacques to take aim at the banner behind.

As soon as the tiny screaming two-stroke screeched to life, everyone in the Shift Happens crew knew it, folding ears flat against the noise despite having hearing protection in.

Kayden watched as the small aircraft gained altitude, then said, “I get that it needs to burn fuel to reach the range requirements, but there is nothing stealthy about that drone.”

Jayde stared at the target streaming behind the drone, mentally judging whether he thought he could hit it if he was given the chance. After a moment of thought, he decided to speak up with, “Constantin, after everyone else has had a chance, mind if I try six shots against the target? Completely understandable if you say no, it’s military equipment and I’m not military, but I have to ask.”

Kivenaal looked over at Jayde, then said, “Jayde, there’s no fucking way you can hit that drone target with your pistol. Even I couldn’t do it.”

Jayde, almost in an act of defiance, stepped to one of the 200 meter lanes, cocked the hammer, and put a .44 Magnum bullet low and to the left of the target, but still quite visibly on the target board.

“O…kay, then. Don’t mess with the pistol sniper,” Kivenaal quipped, realizing that now that Jayde knew where the bullets were going at that distance, he might be able to hit the target properly next time.

Kaylie laughed. “Well, at least we know Jayde has some limits with that gun. That said, target board’s the size of a man. 200 meters with a pistol is a hell of a shot.”

“If the drone is still alive by that point, go ahead.” Constantin confirmed while piloting the drone out to sea for the first pass, “The drone is de-facto civilian tech and not even meant to be stealthy. We have an electric scout drone that has far longer endurance, but not enough power to drag the banner along with it.”

Soon after, the drone went parallel to shore, when Jacques sent his five rounds towards the banner.
A couple of them hit, which still garnered considerable praise from the others.
His performance got rewarded with the remote and he took a moment to adjust to it’s controls before making his pass along the shoreline.

“Patel. Your Turn. Don’t fuck up the drone.” Constantin called out.
“As if he is gonna even come clo…” William started, interrupted by Rohan.
“LOOK! I’M A BOFORS GUN! THIHIHI!” he shouted, followed by an entire magazine of 7.62mm NATO being unleashed at the drone instead of the banner. In a remarkable (and decidedly unlucky) feat of marksmanship, a slew of them manage to connect, turning both wings into finely-cut swiss cheese.

“I SAID DO NOT FUCK UP THE DRONE GODDAMNIT!” Constantin blared.
“I Got this, i got this. Still flies good, somehow. Still good” Jacques repeated, “though he did good in aiming at the wrong thing…”

“Yep. His turn.” William and Hans added, not necessarily because he deserved it, but more because they wanted to see the world burn after Rohan got the helm.

Having gotten at least loose permission from Constantin that, provided the drone was still flying by the end of this, he’d get his chance at shooting the target, Jayde decided he’d better work on his accuracy. Lining up on the 200 meter target again, he took the remaining five shots, making a slow, creeping, steady line from where his first round had hit until he was within a fist-sized distance away from the bullseye.

“Merciful Dancing Sisters, Jayde! How the fuck do you do that?” Kivenaal said, staring at Jayde’s target. “A few more of those and you’d be in the center.”

“That’s a good…” plop “Shot…” -Constantin

Not even ten seconds after Rohan has been handed the remote, one could see the drone disappear into the ocean
“I crashed it,” he called out to hysterical laughter from the remaining recruits, joined by a rather confused Valentin.

“May i ask what is going on here? Heard a screaming 2 stroke and figured to check things over here.”

Wheeeze “Rohan just… breath Kamikaze’d the drone… breath into the FUCKING SEA!!” William replied, still within the laughing fit of the century.

“No target practice for whoever it was that asked. Imma go get it, then…” Constantin grumbled before running out to sea, still in full uniform and everything.

As soon as the drone nose-dived straight into the ocean, Jayde sighed. “Well, that’s just great. And here I was figuring I might get a chance to really test my skills.”

“From where I’m standing,” Kayden said, “that’s 5 out of 6 shots on the target at 200 meters with a pistol. And that’s a four-inch barrel, not some 8 or 10 inch hunting barrel, either.”

When Valentin came over, Jayde still had a slight scowl on his face, looking out at the now-crashed drone bobbing up and down in the water. Shortly after, he opened the cylinder, dumped out his six spent cartridges, reloaded the revolver, and holstered it. “So, now how am I supposed to improve my skills?” Jayde grumbled.

Takaraya shrugged, then held out his rifle for Jayde. “Shorten the stock up a little bit and you should be able to fire this. Valentin managed it, so it should be safe for you.”

Jayde accepted the rifle, taking the magazine out and making sure the chamber was empty while he adjusted the stock length to something a bit more comfortable. Still unloaded, he aimed at the target he’d shot with the revolver to make sure his adjustment was good, then set the rifle on the table, put the unfired round back in the magazine, and loaded it back into the rifle. Once Constantin returned with the drowned drone, Jayde picked the rifle back up and aimed at the target.

Click.

“Safety’s still on, Jayde,” Takaraya said.

Constantin’s recovery of the drone was rather unremarkable as he dragged it back to shore like a raft of sorts, even getting to witness the laughing fit die down as he waded out of the shallow end of the beach, dropping the drone, banner included, by Rohan’s feet.

“You just got promoted to Civilian. Congratulations,” Constantin stated, soaking wet and full of anger, “go get civvie clothing.”

Worth It. Anyone got cash i can borrow?” Rohan asked into the group of people present.
“Hold on… let me get my ‘wallet’,” Valentin sighed and went to turn around, heading back to Robert II.
“You have local currency?” Rohan asked, knowing that Valentin obviously is not from here.
“Won it last year by setting a rail speed record…” Valentin quipped back nonchalantly, still walking away to fetch the funding.

With everyone on the proper side of the firing line once again, Jayde looked at the controls on Takaraya’s rifle. He knew one position was full-auto, the other was semi-auto, but couldn’t remember which was which, and couldn’t read the Khalan letters used either. Selecting the middle position, Jayde racked the charging handle, shouldered the rifle, took aim at the 200 meter target, and squeezed the trigger.

Unfortunately for Jayde, he’d picked the wrong setting, and after the first round went off and hit the target, the spent shell casing flying casually off to Jayde’s right, another fired straight afterward. Jayde froze up at the unexpected second shot, pinning the trigger down as he fought to keep the weapon pointed safely down-range. In ten seconds, it expended the full 30 round magazine, leaving a rain of empty .50 BMG shells tinkling on the ground. No sooner had the weapon stopped firing, Jayde dumped the empty magazine on the table and set the rifle on it soon after, rubbing his now-rather-sore shoulder.

“That was… Quite an unpleasant experience,” Jayde said.

While Valentin was away, the remaining military personnel more or less followed him back to the trailers, where they would cautiously unpack the other, still functional drone for some totally-legit scouting of the area surrounding the beach. ( :wink: )

Upon returning, Valentin just saw Jayde after his unintentional mag-dump:
“Well at least your shoulder survived the full magazine. I have doubts that mine would hold up as well,” he chuckled, before handing a couple Silver Syrkals to Rohan.

“72 USD in local currency. That should get you until… tomorrow afternoon, i think,” Valentin spoke as he closed the suitcase back up, setting it aside where it would not bother anyone.
Without much of anything spoken, Rohan practically ran off giggling with his newfound ‘wealth’ to get clothing procured.

“I somehow have doubts that i am getting that money back… Anyway,” Valentin said, now addressing the Shift Happens Crew present, “i am a man of word and i shall keep it. A few days ago, i said that i would try your handguns some other time. Now i am here, if that is okay with you.”

Jayde rubbed his shoulder, then said, “I’m just glad that I fired it like a right-hander would. If I’d done that properly, I would have absolutely hammered the hell out of the old bite scar. Not sure I want to fire any more out of that thing.”

When Valentin mentioned that he wanted to try some handguns, Kayden and Kaylie smiled. “Heard about that, yeah. Let’s line 'em up and give Val a choice,” Kaylie said. She started the lineup of options by putting her Walther P99 on the table, then watched as everyone else who had one drew a pistol and set it on the table.

Kayden set down his modified Colt 1911. Kivenaal set down one of his Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolvers and then took a moment to pull his replica Colt Peacemaker out of his boot. Rukari set a black Desert Eagle on the table next to Malavera’s brushed-stainless Desert Eagle, and Jayde set down his Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver. At the end of the gun selection, two rather-quite-large pistols joined the collection, with Kasiya drawing a fairly large revolver and setting it on the table with a slight thud, and Takaraya placing his service pistol there as well.

Kayden looked at the collection of guns, then sighed. “Hey, can we please order these in some way that makes sense? Seriously, guns with higher recoil go over on the right, lighter recoil to the left,” he said.

Eventually, the lineup ended up making some sense, from the P99 sitting next to the 1911, the Colt Peacemaker in .357 Magnum next to the 1911 on the other side, then Jayde’s .44 Magnum, Malavera’s Desert Eagle, Rukari’s Desert Eagle, Kivenaal’s .500 Magnum, then Kasiya’s heavy revolver, and lastly, Takaraya’s service pistol.

Kasiya looked over at Kaylie, then said, “I’m not entirely sure why Takaraya and I need to have our wrist-breakers on the table. Or Kivenaal and Rukari, for that matter.”

What already happened with the rifles a few days prior repeated itself, but with greater magnitude. Valentin, having shot a gun all of twice, was filled with insecurity.

“Back to square one, are we? I know that the Glock i shot once either already has more than ideal recoil or simply was too small for my apparently massive hands. Probably both…” Valentin mentioned, looking at his outstretched right hand to prove his point to himself.

Meanwhile at the Speshul Forces Camp, they were in the process of preparing the second drone, which was considerably quieter than the first, being electrically powered and substantially lighter.
Also, confidence in it surviving was greater, now that the worst possible pilot now cannot crash the drone anymore.

Kayden looked over the table of handguns, then back to Valentin. “We organized the weapons so that the ones with the least amount of recoil are on the left, the ones that will kick the hardest are on the right. I know Kaylie carries with the safety on, I don’t carry with a live round in the chamber, and that .357 revolver next to my gun is single action with an empty chamber under the hammer. Kaylie’s gun might be a bit too small for you, but I’m hoping my pistol, this one here, will be at least somewhat compatible.”

After a moment, he then asked the group, “Of those with semi-automatic handguns, who here carries with a live round in the chamber?”

When only Rukari and Takaraya raised their hands, Kayden smiled, then said to Valentin, “Okay, looks like once you’ve made your choice, you’ll have to pull back on the slide to chamber a round. Looks like most of us like the added gun safety of not having a live one in the chamber.”

“Had a close call about two years ago,” Malavera said, “when drawing my gun from the holster.”

“In fairness, I thought he did it on purpose at first. His bullet hit a scorpion on the floor,” Kivenaal said, “so I simply yelled at him for it being overkill. When he explained that he’d drawn it to unload it and clean it, however, I had to smack him over the head, several times, for putting his finger on the trigger when he had no intent to shoot.”

“Less recoil sounds good, i guess…” Valentin said as he mentally discarded everything to the right of the .357 Peacemaker, also conveniently ignoring the accidental discharge story.
The P99 to the far left also was practically ignored, since it seemed similar in size to the known-to-be-too-small Glock that Val was vaguely familiar with.
As such, the lowest-recoil weapon on the table was Kayden’s Colt 1911, which Valentin took a hold of, taking care to not handle the gun in any way that could even remotely be deemed unsafe.

“Okay… Safety is there… this more than likely is the magazine release. Trigger is obvious… hmmmmm…” Valentin quietly mumbles to himself while inspecting Kayden’s gun for anything not already familiar to him from earlier. Getting a feel for what the grip was shaped like, he was both startled and surprised.

“I know it presumably is molded to your hands, but it somehow feels… secure… like i can use my full hand to grasp the grip,” Valentin mentioned as he pointed the still-not-chambered weapon down-range for test aiming.

Kayden chuckled. “We do have similarly sized hands. I’m a bit bigger across the palm, but it looks like we have fingers that are close to the same length,” he said in response to Valentin’s mention that he could use his full hand to hold onto the grip. “That, and I hate finger grooves, so it’s smooth, which means you’re not dealing with where I usually put my fingers.”

By this time across camp, the small drone is airborne and making laps around camp and it’s immediate surroundings, initially piloted by Constantin to show the intended flight path. Soon after, the remote was handed off to William, who… managed to not crash immediately.

Valentin, meanwhile, moved over a couple of lanes, thus freeing up the other guns for their respective owners to take as well as shoot at a target that he deemed as being more manageable to hit.
The slide was racked and soon after, the first round went downrange.

While nowhere near centered, it actually managed to hit the rings of the target slip.
“Well… my wrists are not dead.”

With Valentin having chosen a pistol, the rest of the crew holstered the remaining weapons, choosing to watch as Valentin did a little bit of target practice.

Kivenaal, not wanting to miss an opportunity to show off a little, drew all four of his revolvers and fired a four-shot volley at his chosen target, managing to land all four on the paper, though in a bit of a messy group.

Valentin was too focused on his own thing as the second round went towards the target near the first but still nowhere near the bullseye.

Elsewhere, William seemed to have the time of his life and felt comfortable enough doing some… less-than-civil maneuvering.
“Knock it off…” Constantin warned, still annoyed at Rohan for having FUBARd the other drone.
“Alright alright…” William replied, managing to keep his composure for all of 15 seconds before he was back at it, at which point Constantin lost all hope and decided to just wait it out and let stupidity solve itself.

Stupidity DID solve itself when William went to ‘have a look’ at the range, where he promptly lost control of the drone similar to how Rohan did it.
“Oh Fuck,” he called out before seeing the drone plonk down somewhere near the gun range.

1 Like

Back at the range, Valentin was preparing the third shot when an aggressively buzzing electric drone popped up from god-knows-where, crashing down and into Val’s right hand from above.
(author’s note: this may seem like a Nat1 case. It isn’t, but i felt sadistic :stuck_out_tongue: )

The impact of which did a number of things:
First, the inertia of the drone caused Valentin to involuntarily aim down into the sand, followed by him tensing up in such a way that it actually fired a round juuuust past the range lane table arrangement and into the sand behind.
Second, while he tensed up to actuate the trigger, the impact also messed up his grip to the point of it being less than secure, thus overwhelming his wrists with recoil forces and preventing the weapon to cycle fully.
Third, the plastic drone propeller spinning at 10s of thousands of RPM very visibly produced a slew of cuts on Valentin’s right hand.

Immediately afterwards, Valentin instinctively drops the gun due to the pain of recoil and propeller cuts arising.
While Valentin, now screaming in pain, clutches the right hand and wrist with the slightly-less-fucked left, the 1911 bounces off the range table, following the bullet into the sand beyond and joining the Drone there as well.

Things were going well right up until William crashed the drone into Valentin’s hands, at which point, several things happened at once.

As soon as Takaraya realized that Val was more injured than just some minor bruising, he took off at full speed toward the trucks. After a couple of moments, he came sprinting back with their first-aid-kit, slowing his pace in the last four steps to avoid either a shower of sand or crashing into someone.

Kayden, understanding that Takaraya was getting the first aid kit, grabbed Val’s right forearm and applied as much pressure as he felt was safe, trying not to nick Val with his claws in the process. By the time Takaraya had returned, however, Kayden had figured out it wasn’t life-threatening, though kept pressure on Val’s arm to keep the bleeding slow.

“Kayden, you’re the field medic, I’ll assist,” Takaraya said.

“Cleaning the wound is the first priority. Right now, there’s gunshot residue, whatever shit was on the propeller, whatever was on Val’s skin, all mixed together in there,” Kayden said. He watched as Takaraya opened up the package for a sterile cloth, then applied antiseptic and started trying to clean the cuts as carefully as he could. “Sorry Val, I know this stings,” Kayden added.

Kaylie, having realized now that there was something she could do, ran over to Constantin and explained the situation. “Constantin, we may need your help. If you know first aid, it’d be helpful. Someone crashed a little airplane into Valentin’s hand, and while I trust my brother’s knowledge as a field medic, and I know Takaraya’s hands are the best for delicate work… I also understand having a second set of eyes on the situation can help.”

Valentin was to stumped to really react to anything, though Kayden’s grip to the forearm did procure audible additional strain in terms of pain.

Constantin, now being ‘briefed’ by Kaylie on what happened, was very much at rock-bottom in terms of mood.
“You ABSOLUTE FUCKING RETARDS!!! I would turn this into a civilian medical emergency drill and ask you to go and help Valentin, but you are such Cuntosauruses that you fail to even suck each other’s dick if your life depended on it,” he blared into the group, though it also became fairly obvious as to who this rant was directed towards.
That someone pretty much accepted defeat and already started gathering his belongings as Constantin got up and rounded up the one competent soldier in Jacques: “Dupont, go get whatever medical supplies you can scrounge up and meet me at the lanes!”

As instructed, Jacques got up and hastily started searching the cars and trailers for whatever was useful while Constantin and Kaylie barreled back towards the lanes.

“Sorry, sorry, sorry,” Kayden said in response to Val’s sounds of pain as Takaraya did his best to clean up the scratches and cuts.

“I’m being as gentle as I can while still actually getting the wounds clean,” Takaraya said, less as an apology and more as a statement of why he wasn’t being gentler.

As Kaylie and Constantin arrived, Takaraya gave a nod of acknowledgement, then said to Kayden, “Kaylie brought Constantin here to help.” He continued carefully cleaning the wounds, pausing only to look at the new arrival, Jacques, who brought an additional pair of first aid kits with him.

Kayden looked to Constantin, then said, “I need your professional opinion on whether these cuts would heal on their own or require additional treatment.”

Takaraya looked at Kayden, then said, “You may want to loosen your grip before you make things worse.”

Kayden nodded, relaxing his grip a little, enough that his claws were able to partially retract, getting them further away from Valentin’s skin.

Valentin remains in a state of not-really-approachable, still filled with adrenaline and the sense of pain, made worse by the alcohol-based antiseptic now creeping into the countless cuts across his hand.

“This is all i found,” Jacques reported, plonking both packs down onto the range table and unfurling them, revealing nothing spectacular within.
Constantin stood there not doing much, puzzled by the ‘professional inquiry’: “I’m not a medic, you are about doing what i would do as well. Stem the bleeding and clean well…”

As if on cue, someone with actual qualifications came barreling towards the range.

“HOLY FUCK!?” Norse shouted, the voice able to break Val’s stunned state, “What the hell happened!?”
“Not sure. Got rammed by a drone. Now my wrist hurts like hell…” Valentin stammers inbetween pained breaths.
“Let me see…” Norse replied, gently shoving Takaraya aside to take a look at the wounds inflicted by the drone propeller.
“For the cuts, clean and bandage as needed. Try and get the bandage reasonably tight to seal off the surface veins and reduce bleeding. For the wrist, i cannot say all that much without some context…” Norse explained, vacating the area so that Takaraya could proceed with what he has been doing.

Takaraya nodded, finishing the cleaning process while Malavera explained what had happened.

“Valentin wanted to try shooting a handgun again. He was using Kayden’s pistol, got two on the paper, and was aiming a third shot when someone decided to kamikaze a drone directly into Valentin’s right hand. I heard a gunshot fired into the sand, then saw Valentin drop the pistol,” Malavera said. “After that, Takaraya ran to grab our first aid kit, Kayden applied pressure to Valentin’s forearm to slow the bleeding, and Takaraya started cleaning the wounds. Kaylie brought Constantin here in case he had any knowledge that could help, Jacques brought two first-aid-kits from the train, and then you arrived.”

Takaraya opened a roll of sterile bandage, then took care to wrap it firmly, but not unreasonably tight, around Valentin’s injured right hand, slowly working his way up to Val’s wrist. After a moment, he held tension on the bandage, cutting the end before taping it in place, followed by waving off Kayden before treating the small marks on Val’s forearm from Kayden’s claws with antiseptic and another bandage.

“I admit partial fault for letting William fly that drone to begin with…” Constantin said, adding nothing to the situation but at least getting some degree of guilt off his chest.

“Yikes… Val. I have no surefire way to check, but if you feel like you can move the wrist, i shall assume it being some degree of sprained. If not, it more than likely is severely sprained, if not broken,” Norse explained, primarily to Valentin as the patient, but by extension also to the others present.
“It… doesn’t feel broken if that helps…” Valentin muttered before ever so slightly moving the injured hand, which, while doable, still was FAR from pain-free.
“As said: No surefire way to check. Regardless, that wrist is to be immobilized, gently cooled and, ideally, raised as far as comfortably doable,” Norse countered, before instructing Jacques to hand him whatever bandage was available from within the kits, which was then used to add another layer of bandaging intended to keep the wrist stiff and supported.

“I did not want to take off the bandage that is on there to avoid ripping the wounds back open, so this will have to do. If the hand starts to go numb, tell me, because then we have to re-do the bandaging,” Norse said to Val, who at this point managed to calm down enough to allow semi-complex conversation, “as for the cooling and elevation part, i am at a loss with what i have here…”

Takaraya looked around at his options, then said, “I can drench some cloth, wrap that around the bandages. We have plenty of cool water to do that with. We’d need an outer covering to hold it together. Other than that, regarding the elevation part, I can tape Val’s hand and wrist to his shoulder and chest. We have a sling, but not in Valentin’s size.”

“Something is better than nothing,” Norse admitted.

A moment later, Val added, “If it helps, I won’t stop you.”

Takaraya nodded, and again took off running for the truck, though with a more reasonable pace this time as the main danger had passed. He returned with two gallon jugs of filtered drinking water and a vacuum-sealed bag containing a towel. Takaraya carefully opened the bag, pouring the water into the bag to soak the towel, then removed the now-drenched towel and cut it to size to fit around Val’s arm without being too much of an obstruction before carefully wrapping it around Valentin’s forearm. To secure it in place, Takaraya opened up one of the kits Jacques had brought, then pulled the roll of bandages out, carefully wrapping Val’s towel-covered arm with it in an attempt to secure the cold cloth in place.

After opening up Val’s shirt, Takaraya secured the bandages with a few well-placed strips of tape, then secured Val’s hand to his left shoulder with a support-strip of tape over his forearm and chest.

“It’s not perfect, but I’d say, given the situation, it’s a suitable field dressing,” Takaraya admitted. “Sorry that you’re stuck wearing that shirt for a while, Val.”

“Well at least it absolutely prevents loading the wrist any more than necessary.” Norse added, looking at how Valentin’s right sleeve was loosely dangling about, that half of the shirt only being held in place by his shoulder and a couple of buttons up front.

“I seem to attract bad luck at this time… Last year it was the werewolf thing incident, this year we have this. Among other events that i shall not specify…” Valentin said, treading carefully to avoid mentally straining Norse further.

Kayden shrugged. “This time of year just seems to be unlucky in general,” he said.

Takaraya put the remaining supplies back in the first aid kits they belonged to, carefully closing each of them up. “With any luck, that will heal quickly,” Takaraya said, looking toward Valentin.

“Sorry about the scratches,” Kayden said. “I was trying to be careful, but… I know my claws are sharp.”

Malavera, on the other hand, looked toward the green trailers and gave a deep, resonating lupine growl. “I am going to rip his head off AND THROW IT IN THE OCEAN!” Malavera bellowed, taking three quick steps in the general direction of the trailers before being tackled, surprisingly savagely, by Kivenaal.

“Malavera! No! I know you’re pissed off, I know you’re angry,” Kivenaal said, struggling hard to keep Malavera from getting back up or making progress toward the trailers, despite Malavera being the stronger of the two of them, “but this is not right!”

“He hit Valentin with that drone. Get OFF of me!” Malavera said, catching Kivenaal in the ribs with a hard elbow.

“There’s enough blood in the sand already, Malavera. Don’t add any more, it’s a nice view and blood-red sand would spoil it. Whatever fate awaits him once Constantin is through with him is far, far worse than what you’d do,” Kivenaal said. “Now, I have no problem with you throwing him whole into the ocean, but you’re not ripping his head off, even though I know you want to.”

Malavera gave a quiet growl, then shoved Kivenaal off of him. “Fine. He gets to live. But if he crosses my path while we’re still on this beach, I will throw him in the water.”

“Won’t stop you from doing that. No blood, though. No killing him. Just a brief flight and a crash landing in the water,” Kivenaal said. “Now, let’s not scare the normies any further, I guarantee, there’s at least one who won’t go anywhere near the whole lot of us after that.”

William, upon seeing Malavera absolutely book it for him, immediately was scared shitless and himself decided to gun it, away from the lanes, the now-grounded Malavera and everyone else there.

“Gotta say, seeing him accidentally discharging his ass into his undies is hella funny. I can’t do anything beyond kicking him out of the military, never to return there. If he faces legal trouble is more or less up to Valentin,” Constantin commented, unable to hide a smile at William still absolutely beelining away from camp to a nearby formation of rocks, forming a scenic cliffside view.

“I have zero clue about that drone and if i was kamikaze’d by it or if… William(?) simply lost control of it…” Valentin noted, still in pain, though at least the edge of it was taken off by the cooling bandage.

Takaraya spoke up with, “Regardless of whether it was accidental or deliberate, Valentin, it would not have happened had the drone been flown in an appropriate manner. Over the lanes was not an approved flight path.”

“I’ll partially agree, Constantin. It was amusing to see it, but it’s less than amusing to smell it,” Jayde admitted.

“I’m just glad,” Kivenaal said, “that it was Malavera who got angry and not Kasiya. I know how to stop Malavera. I don’t think the whole lot of us working together could stop Kasiya if he was angry and on a mission.”

Kasiya shrugged. “I’m not a fighter. Worst I would have done is picked him up and threw him into the ocean. Maybe he’d have flown better than the drone he crashed.”

“Kasiya, he doesn’t have wings,” Kaylie said.

“I don’t know, with the way he’d have flailed around,” Kayden added, “he might have generated lift.”

Constantin and Jacques were pretty much done at this point.
“Directly above the lanes is stupid, yes. In my defense, i’ve been fighting those ‘masterminds’ for the entire trip now and it’s less than easy to keep them at bay…” Constantin admitted, before non-verbally commanding Jacques to follow him, “hope you are okay, Valentin…”

“I have been closer to death before…” Valentin counters, to the annoyance of Norse, who also decides that it’s enough for him and heads back to the trailers.
At this point, something dawned on Valentin: “now… what do i do that does not require both hands or dexterity?”

“If you can handle rolling some dice and moving game pieces around the board, you’re more than welcome to join us for some board games. We brought a small selection,” Kaylie said.

“We’ve got some games that use dice for an element of chance, others that just use strategy,” Kayden added. “Malavera’s just-about unbeatable at chess, so… If you face him in that, expect to lose. Kivenaal’s decent at Battleship.”

“Monopoly’s fun,” Kivenaal admitted, “but Kasiya mops the floor with all of us in that game. Takaraya is a Connect Four specialist - He won’t go for the easy win of four horizontal or four vertical, he only considers it a true victory for him if he gets you on the diagonal.”

“I prefer Yahtzee. And either way we go about this, we have to get the dice cup out for Kivenaal. I don’t know whether he’s lucky, or has some mean sleight-of-hand, but if he’s allowed to roll dice with his bare hands, he’s more likely to roll matches with all of the dice,” Takaraya added.

“If you want a more relaxed and slower-paced game, there’s Scrabble,” Jayde said. “I’m not great at it, but I enjoy it.”

“It is not like i have all that much else to do for the foreseeable future, do i?” Valentin pondered, “i think we have more than enough time to play a couple of games, then…”

Soon after, they found themselves at a table with board games set up, playing some of them for the better part of the afternoon, barring a small break for food.

2 Likes

Team VSmgAB & Team Shift Happens

Stage 1 Drive (VSmgAB)
Stage 1 Drive (Shift Happens)
Stage 2 Drive/Camp (Shift Happens)
Stage 2 Camp (VSmgAB + Shift Happens)
Stage 3 Camp (VSmgAB + Hillbilly Rollers + Aeromad + Ambassadors) Part 1, Part 2
Stage 4 and 5; “send it!”
Stage 6 and 7 “Catching Up” (VSmgAB)
Stage 8 “Target Practice” (VSmgAB and Shift Happens)
Stage 13.2 part 1
Stage 13.2 part 2

After a long afternoon of playing what seemed like every board game that had been invented, Valentin just wanted to be alone for a bit. He politely declined to join in on the next game, mentioning only that he was going to go walk the beach for a moment now that it was quiet. He left the Shift Happens crew and walked past the silent firing range, heading for the rock formation that he’d seen earlier in the day.
Once there, he carefully ascended to the top of it, a process made much more difficult due to sub-optimal shoes and compromised balance courtesy of an immobilized arm.
Eventually, an absolutely stunning view unfolds itself:
A remarkably blue ocean spanned the view ahead as far as the eye could see. A small number of boats were milling about at sea, presumably owned by some wealthy individuals for recreation.
To Valentin’s left, there was the beach he came from. The finish line of Shitbox Rally 2023, complete with (almost) all competitor cars and their respective owners. To his right, the rock formation he was sat on continues, gently sloping back down to sea level, where another beach was found. A couple of crude wooden piers poking out into the ocean served as a small harbor for the sailors in front.

Sat atop the rocks for the better part of two hours, he simply watches the local population, wildlife and nature do it’s thing, eventually lying down and closing his eyes to acoustically take it all in.
Another half an hour or so passes before Valentin is somewhat rudely taken out of his meditative state as Mary ascends the formation to join Valentin up there.

“Hello? Who is there?” Valentin asks as he is not enough of a contortionist to see Mary just yet.
“Mary here. Hope I’m not disturbing you with anything that you are doing up here,” she replied while approaching further, to the point of practically being directly above Valentin now.

“Not really, other than contemplating life and all that…” Valentin mentioned.
“Now that I am out of the army… well… navy, I also have things to contemplate, I guess…”, Mary explained, sitting down next to Valentin and looking out to sea, just like he did earlier.

Valentin did not feel like digging into Mary’s life choices, interests and such, so he kept quiet. Instead, Mary decided to do the same with Valentin’s past:
“I know i am drilling deep with us barely knowing each other and such, but… was it really a military van that… umm… was less-than-smart about driving?”

“One: I have nothing to lose by sharing, so ask away all you want. Helps me cope.
Two: I do not remember a whole lot first hand. All I DO know is that a military-looking 9 seat van passed my group of 40 cyclists. Next I know, I am in ICU a couple of days later.
Three: Norse has SEEN it all first-hand, but please keep this topic away from him. He is mentally strained because of it…” Valentin explained.

“40 cyclists?” Mary inquired.

“Or thereabouts… some friends, among which Norse, and I am hosting a once-weekly bike ride for everyone vaguely fast enough to keep up. And it was during one of those rides where i got to know the back door of that van very intimately…” Valentin recalled, now rising back up to a seated position as well as he could.

“Gosh that must’ve hurt!” Mary exclaimed.

“I do not remember anything after the impact itself. What I got told after the fact is that out of roughly 20 people injured, two had to be flown to hospital. I was one of them and also the first to be flown. Suffice to say that the recovery was worse than the actual crash…” Valentin sighed.

On that note, the pairing stayed silent for another 15 minutes or so until Mary mustered enough bravery to make an important statement. Important to Mary, anyway…

“Ummm… Valentin?”
“Huh?”
“Did I tell you that I like you? Like… REALLY like you?”
“No?”
“Well I’m telling you now… I REALLY like you!”
“Uhm…”
“Take your time to process things, then.”

Valentin did take his time to process things, laying back down to free his mind from the pained wrist.

“So… You see myself being your boyfriend?”
“YESS!”
“In that case… a few words of ‘warning’. One, this would be my first actual relationship if we declare this as official. Two, because of this, I am pretty much inexperienced in anything romance or any typical ‘couple things’. Three, please do not expect me to treat you any differently because of this relationship status.”
“You never have even looked for a woman to partner up with?”
“Not really. I just had other things to do that i saw as being more important.”
“Ah so you are the ‘not actively looking’ kinda guy?”
“Seems like it, yes.”
“So, is it official?”
“As said already, please do not expect me to give you special treatment of any kind. Apart from that, you can call me your boyfriend as much as you want, I guess.”
“Works for me. sweet!

The newfound couple spent another hour or so on the rock formation until a bit past sunset, thus ticking off their first truly romantic experience before heading back to camp.

2 Likes

Team Slow
Chapter 3, Part 1- Finale?

In the past several stages, things started going wrong with our car, the most recent is the shocks getting FUBAR’d, and giving a less-than-desirable journey. But they didn’t mean the end. Thankfully. In our definition, the drive to the next city, Shippingburg, it went well for us.

Matt follows the rest of the drivers going to the beachside, because apparently that’s where we’ve stopped for a bit. A huge departure i’d say from the constant driving. After some more driving, we make it to the beachside, He gets out of the car and does his own thing. “Izzy, here’s the keys if you need to move the car”, and then he gives Izzy the keys.

She then gets into the driver seat, starts the already-beaten up car that probably looks like it should’ve been scrapped 16 years ago, and drives a suitable distance away from the crowds, (for the sake of NOT kicking sand in their eyes), and does a couple of FWD reverse donuts, before soon after being stuck in the sand.

Matt hears the revving from afar, after fishing at the beachside. He mutters to himself “What the fuck did that idiot do?”, He goes back with his finds, which were a pendant, God knows who that belonged to. A saltwater fish of some kind, No sharks were caught . Or whales, by then Izzy gave up on trying to get the car out of the sand she dug herself into.

Matt gets a shovel out of the fairly-sizable trunk, and starts digging a path, along with finding some sticks as makeshift traction mats. Izzy, gets off her teenage-like mindset despite being in her 20s, also gets out of the car to help place down the sticks so it can grip.

Matt: Y’know, next time don’t fuck up that badly?

Izzy: You can’t really talk cause you drove so hard you shredded like four tires a few stages back, but yeah alright.

Matt: Make sure the sticks don’t just slide out, I’ll get into the car, You push.

Izzy agrees, as Matt gets into the car, while Izzy is trying her hardest to push the car out, Some effort later and it sets free. After parking the car where it was, usually near the other teams, they sit in the car and talk about things

“It’s been so long since we’ve entered this year’s challenge.” Izzy says with a nonchalant mannerism

“Good one, I actually wonder what’s going on in Earth.” Matt agrees with her to keep it going

“Suprised this thing actually made it this far. Other than the fact it has no shocks, and on the edge of life.” Izzy sighs at the end of the sentence, whilst looking at the sky, sitting in the car.

“Well, I still got last year’s surfboard here somewhere. I know it’s here,” She gets up from her seat, climbing to the back area and brings the board towards her, and out of the open car window.

“That’s quite a wonderful board, You’re gonna go into the water with it?” Matt says to her.

“Abso-fucking-lutely! If you allow me i’m gonna go change into some swimming gear.” Izzy says with an enthusiastic tone, She then gets her swimming clothes, and gets out of the car, and does it somewhere private, after less than a minute, she comes back, puts her other clothes in the car.

“Lookin’ good!” Matt says in an attempt of flattery. Izzy compliments him back.

Isabella runs towards the water soon after getting the surfboard, then gets into the water, with the surfboard and starts surfing around on the water for a while, Matt sits by and watches her on the water. Hopefully this goes well.

TO BE CONTINUED?

OOC: Open to interaction whilst out here at the beach

1 Like

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 13.1

Im fine, this is fine. Oh really? Here, have a fine.

This part will follow path of two…teams. I guess one of which shall be described as “team” due to…reasons, mostly outlined in first pragraph from picture below.

So, lets get the chaos started…

-MOOOOOVE. IM FUCKING YOUR MOTHER AND ONE THAT TAUGHT YOU HOW TO DRIVE.
MOOOVE, BOW TO YOUR QUEEN.

Horn got activated for who knows what time. Engine was trying to deal with fuel for which its not designed.
Scent of old-lady perfume could have been smelled from far away.
Yes, Leopolda is back in her car after she was released from prison and clearly is not in good mood.

-MOOOVE

One couldn’t help but wonder how she isn’t dead yet, how is car still in one piece and how no locals got either material or body damage. We will chalk it up to favourable circumstances to her…somehow.

-WHICH DICK ARE THEY NOW PARKED ON HIGHWAY?!? MOOOVE
Oh, i have an opportunity…parry this you filthy normies

She saw a vehicle diving for the dirt shoulder.
Usually police might stop such behaviour, but these were special as were events in them

-He is dying
-No shit, he just survived yeeting himself off the road. At this point he should consider himself lucky for being alive at all.
He wasnt alone there. Hey, can you radio our mates in front?
-Yes.

Radio was activated

-Fuckers, how is it going out there? Is the road clear?
-Call us “fuckers” one more time and i swear im going to stick this stethoscope so far up your ass it will exit on other side
-Chill. How is the other lovebird?
-Broken, but we are really trying all we can to give them a chance for continuing the life.
-Road?
-Seems there is queue slowly accumulating for some reason.
Gonna turn on sirens and lights.

Sentence was followed by appropriate action

-Gonna contact my friend, he works in police. Might know what is happening.
-Ok, tell us what you found.

This connection has ended and there is some fiddling in order to determine if he is in range.
He is.

-Why are you stupid enough to go this way? Arent you aware of accident that has happened here?
Dump truck had got on its side
-Ah, just the person i was looking for.
-Oh its you
-Yes, and some girl close to dying in back. She and her boyfriend found out hard way that leaving the road at high speeds is not good for health. Boyfriend is also coming, so make sure two ambulances can safely pass.
We dont have much time.
-Its tight fit in here.
-We have some of best drivers in our team behind wheels here. We all, including you, took oath to serve our fellow citizens: just doing different jobs to do so.

Pause on other end, pretty much eternity for ambulances here

-Lower speed somewhat, but path is clear enough to pass this shit.
-Is truck driver ok?
-Your colleagues had picked him up already, now waiting for plow truck to move the cargo off the road and crane to lift this thing back on wheels.
-Ok.

Now connection between ambulances is re-established.

-We shall be careful, but can pass.
-Ok, noted.

First ambulance saw they can neatly pass between cars in queue and police cars that are parked beside the road, so it went for gap.
Few people on path heard sirens or were informed in timely manner, so they got back in cars or chilled with police on other side.

-Yes, my ingenuity knows no bounds

Leopolda reversed as much as she could, sharply turning to right.
Everyone went wide-eyed as she attempted to get behind first ambulance, especially the driver of second one.

-Gonna chase that bitch
-Wait until she clears this mess
-Ofc…putting all of us in danger…it insults me as both policeman and person.

Chase was on and now we observe the masterful speed and power.
Leopolda easily passed ambulance she followed and they had proven to be no match for what this policeman was packing, making this truly a battle between skill and tool.
At this point, she was too familiar with police here to think they will wave her away, so she tried to properly step on it using more technologically advanced vehicle to counter greater skill of pursuer.
However, very specific and sudden meat sausage meant her abilities would quickly go down the drain…

-Damn, its hot day out there. Im soaking sweaty. Its hard being father to so many children and also being husband.
-Pedro, have you shut off boiler heater?
-Yes i did. I do it every time before i take bath.
-Just checking, wouldnt like for you to get electrocuted if isolation fails and you are on shortest path to the ground.
-Im not willing to demise in such way either.

My family always keeps boiler heater on, except when going to bath. Then its turned off, for safety reasons. We are sure its properly isolated from water its supposed to heat up and that grounding is done correctly when that was engineered
Despite that, we leave nothing to fate here…and so does Pedro

-This is so refreshing and nice
-Dad i need to go to bathroom
-…Ok, son, be quick.

He stepped out of shower (or bath; irelevant for us) got towel around private area and unlocked the door to kid that was on verge of poop

-Do you need any help buddy?
-No. whats that big thing behind you?
-What big thing…AAAAAAAAAA
-MOOOOOM, DAD TRIPPED INTO BIG THING AND DISAPPEARED
-WHAT

She came

-Not again. Tell me he was atleast presentably clothed.

Kid giggled

-He had towel around pee-pee.
-Oh thats less than ideal
-Had
-What?

Kid was pointing at something.

-Oh no.

That something is a towel.

-OUCH, THAT KINDA HURT
-WTF WHERE DID HE COME FROM
-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pedro quickly came to senses and realised he is elsewhere.
He then heard some gibberish in foreign language, turned around and saw police roadblock
Then multilanguage term AAAAAAAAAAA came around from other direction.
Car was speeding towards him with woman driving speedily.
Probably not the best moment for realising you are without clothing.

-It must have slipped when i fell. Oh well, my Emperor’s will works strangely today

Leopolda was already pumped up with adrenaline due to chase in which she participated. Fact that someone had appeared out of nowhere on road ahead would just increase that.
Then she realised thats roadblock set for her behind this figure.
Seeing that figure is

• younger
  • male
  • without clothing
    might have just sealed the deal.

-AAAAAAAAAA
MY HEART. AAAAAA HELP. HEEEEELP

Pedro decided to try to hop in (its cabrio, so no roof atm) and thanks to fact Leopolda’s leg got on brake that was made easier. Just as she went unconscious, Pedro managed to jump in and steer, also activating hand brake to make it scrub tad bit more speed sideways.

-This was most action i did in long time and that says something.

It was decided he might be able to drive her (he understood her words of complain about heart, meaning they understand each other).
Given some money and clothes, he was pointed towards certain place

-WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE LOST IT
-Paper with crumbs on it equals garbage.
-Only garbage i see here is your brain
Get out of my eyesight
-No problem

He left

-He he. We just need to rejoin the highway and then exit the highway to go towards very big city.
-Lets go then. And…step on it.

Driving to best of their abilities, Krta and his team found themselves on highway and already going at speed limit even tho they just entered.
Seeing that “step on it” means going as fast as possible, that isnt going to stay for long.

-I notice you are speeding little bit. Its my first speeding ticket…
-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Policeman got shit-faced upon such wild response from guy he talked to
This however, was just the beggining in what was likely the quest to get all fines that Aetherian police can offer on highway.

-Ok, thank you for payment of all fines
Wide shit-eating grin
-Im sure superiors will be glad to hear that you are clear.
later
-You are an idiot, thats foreign money.
-So?
-Their currency, which we cant use at all here.
Get them back here.
-No.
-You dont react to direct order from superior?
-Yes, i have an idea where they might be ending up.

Puzzled police officer

-Lets go to the beach, have some fun and maybe catch some criminals
-Im not convinced, but as this seems to be under control of colleagues its worth a check.

Title for following part…

...and some beach-placed (mis)adventures

Group really enjoyed being pissed off at queue, about as much as yours truly enjoyed waiting for similar reasons during vacation.
Thankfully, reasoning for wait was just a truck tipped over, nothing too serious.

-Skill issue
-Hopefully everyone is alright
-Seems they are alright indeed
-Is this it?
-In…what sense?
-This journey…after this stage, we are back in Nevada?
-Yes, map says so.
-Ok then

pause

-This was nice journey. Well, as nice as it could be to have breakdowns every now and then.
-Both vehicles are still absolutely operational.
-We can see that.
-Looking forward to next one?
-I guess atleast someone would do so.
Probably we are about to see big return next year, hopefully more interaction with others too.
-They did organize this well.
That raw feeling of being by yourself and experiencing everything route and car will throw at you might be found strangely appealing, but i guess organizers are happy that there were no incidents of any kind.
-Well, thats why they hired this army of theirs
-Ngl i was looking forward to see some action

-You are fighting robot, Chicota, ofc you would be drawn to fighting.
-I mean yes, but i feel they could have proven their worth in some fight. I dont request duking it out with den of Dyre, but i feel some small fight could be ultimate exercise.
-Im pretty sure they can organize some fighting scenario, but i doubt they brought something like paintball or…well alternative to live ammo and real weapons.
-Gotta agree, but could have been useful.

Sadly, such exercises may not prevent said forces to drop like flies in numbers due to reasons mentioned in some earlier read above (TL.DR: Madrias and Elizipeazie collabed on this beach stage. Likely worth a read to fully grasp what im talking about)

-This isnt going to be missed.
-Ah yes, lets fill it up

Saguaro had required its usual top-up. Probably still tolerable while its fuel you need to put in on regular basis and not, ya know, oil.

-I hope in meantime we will get some more fuel efficient choices as this is suboptimal by all measures.
-Our choices are too small and too limited in numbers anyway, so we are going to get some more cars regardless.
-We will see.

Kontir arrived first and as its users started to pour out, Saguaro’s handler decided to show off sideways-driving skills and got some sand in other vehicle and people’s mouths.

-MAAAT
-What, i just had some fun.
-Have fun elsewhere

He did and decided to follow another team of similar idea.
As was case with them, he got promptly stuck but unlike Team Slow, he was all alone in dealing with his mess.
Eventually he too became unstuck, courtesy of his experience of driving in Sweden and some handiwork on removing some sand from under the car

By this point, Leopolda and Pedro had also arrived on beach, but this was some other section of it or was some other beach, but still close to beach currently occupied by SR participants.
Pedro, now in some well-worn uniform no policeman in active service would ever think of putting on (hence why he got it in first place, as police figured he is prefered clothed and is unlikely to impersonate), had finished driving and exited the car, while Leopolda was struggling to do the same

-Im going over there and see if i can pick out some food. Those dont seem like locals
-Whatever. Thanks for not crashing us…along the way…
-I guess no problem. Glad you appreciated my driving skills.

Pedro was now trying to reach other beach. Saw many creatures beyond even wildest comprehension along the way and on said beach.
Something weird on the sky? Hmm, suspicious

-AAAAAAAAAAA
sound of something hitting water
sound of drowning granma of sorts
Amanda has unwillingly gone into water, knowing full well what follows

-EMPEROR OUR MIGHTIEST, I KNEW THAT BY PRAYING TO YOU HARD ENOUGH…I WOULD BE SAVED
-THAT LOWLY GIRL IS MANY LEAGUES BELOW ME

Amanda has thrown this granma to solid ground and towards unsuspecting Mat

-CATCH MEEEE
-What…WTF

Some tumbling on ground followed.

-Ouch. Name is Sora. My beloved Emperor took me out of water.
-She might had attempted to kill you, as that was lot of speed
looks into water and realises WHO threw her
I may need some explanation
-Comes from world where VerBanka and her derivatives would rule. But she nay find it disrespectful to call her anything but Emperor.
And before you ask, she isnt here.

Sora picks herself up, bruised and beaten but determined.

-Better tell me that either of you two lead this group, as no other choice would deal with it as efficiently and good.
-Can be said so, yes. That would be me, as Amanda decided to not be concerned about supplies, route etc. She is here to kick ass, but has no opportunity to do so.
-Very funny
-If you want to join conversation, Amanda, feel free to do so. But please use mouth to speak and not fists.
-Boring leaves close area
-Im ok, but remember much better days.
-You can go with us for now, then we will see what we can do when back to Earth

Pedro sensed that maybe leaving Leopolda alone isnt good idea.
But, he saw enough to know there will be some food avaiable courtesy of recognising Sora and both VerBanka’s derivatives.
Leopolda was asleep now, but he still couldnt shake off that something could happen
Also, too tired to think much of it, as he drifted to sleep…

3 Likes

Stage 14:

Shippingburg to SR Starting Area, Nevada through the Rift

Temperature at mid-day: 20°C

Weather Conditions: Dead calm, with a cloudy dark blue sky, very slightly humid.

Camp Challenge: None. (Unofficially, “How fast can you leave the heat?”)

After what had been, quite honestly, a very long journey, it was time to return back to Earth. For the final time in Nehmenweld, thousands of horsepower resonated from several exhaust pipes, some in good shape, some rusty, some that were barely there at all, before everyone headed for the exit gate, another of those amusingly simple metal sheds with a portal in it.

Unlike the first time, there was almost no hesitation from teams as they drove into the navy-blue darkness. Headlights cut through the “night” as the various battered and beaten cars rolled into the land of no stop-signs, no speed limits, and no gas stations. As a result, people drove in the convoy as intended, making stops for fuel as required, as well as a major stop caused by a number of broken down vehicles.

Finally, the exit was in sight, and everyone rolled out into the hot Nevada sun, greeted immediately upon arrival by wind-blown dust that rustled over everyone’s vehicles, dirtying already filthy, fading paint even further. As the celebrations had been performed the night before, this year, people were free to depart immediately, or if they really wanted to, to stick around long enough to grab a burger or two from Kayden’s grill.

Results Here: SR2023 Stage 14 - Google Drive

And for something a little different, instead of individual write-ups, as we’re all traveling as a group, I’m writing out our “stage blurb” as a group instead.

For most of the teams who had already survived the grueling challenge, driving home through the Rift was a peaceful experience, complete with a nearly 12 hour rest right in the middle of it, courtesy of several major breakdowns.

The break started when the reliable old bus, Priscilla II, suddenly lost power. Not really wanting to stop, the crew in the Juggernaut offered a tow, which was accepted, and for almost another hour, disaster had been averted. Unfortunately, it didn’t stay that way, as the dry-rotted tires on the Juggernaut started to pop under the strain of dragging a bus, one by one, until they were forced to stop as well to replace all of the tires.

The crew in the IVERA Executive, the Willow, and the Papillona all got out to help with repairs as needed, floating from car to car, team to team as miniature disasters and minor catastrophes erupted all around them. Whether it was the driver of the Ambassador, in a moment of boredom, deciding to fry the rear tires until both tires burst, the crew of the VanGo trying to debug the electrical gremlins causing their gauge light party, or the Ilaris Imbe finally going silent after sounding like a bunch of empty spray paint cans in a cement mixer, there was plenty to fix.

Of course, Kivenaal got his promised moment to try driving the Sanju Wolverine while everyone was busy fixing things, and managed to “break” the suspension in 15 minutes. Of course, Marie instantly got the blame for it from the number of times she’d hit potholes, the rear bumper of the Rugger, and various other small things over the course of the rally. The “breakdown” was really nothing more than a broken bolt letting the driver’s side front shock absorber loose, causing a very uncomfortable ride. With a spare bolt, a jack, and a lot of swearing, the shock absorber was fixed, and Kivenaal spent a few more minutes driving circles around the impromptu parking lot.

As for the other issues… The Spy Kids popped one of their tires and had to find Jayde, something that was surprisingly easier-said-than-done in this mess. Kate’s 1325 Facelift overheated badly when sitting still, explaining her need for speed in most stages.

Eventually, the VanGo’s obnoxious electrical gremlin was fixed, the Ambassador’s rear tires were replaced with a couple of spares from those who had similar tires available, the 1325 had cooled off, the Spy Kids eventually found Jayde sitting up on the roof rack of the Home Unit and convinced him to fix the tire, and the Ilaris was eventually resuscitated with an oil-pan completely filled up with gear oil to keep it at least quiet for the remainder of its trip back to Earth.

As the vehicles left the Rift in an orderly single-file line, they rolled out into the sandy, dusty hell that was Nevada in April.

Kayden set up a small grill and started a batch of burgers, but it was Kasiya who decided to address the crowd himself by climbing up on top of the Home Unit and speaking loud and clear enough to be heard by everyone there.

“We started in the sand, here, at this point, 14 days ago. We finished in the sand, here, after a trial that most people would never have gone through. For both teams and their cars, this was a trial by fire. Kaylie and Rukari have given me a list of people who won something, they want me to read it for all of you, but, in my opinion,” Kasiya said, holding the papers up, “everyone who participated is a winner!” At that point, he tossed the papers in the air and jumped down with a heavy thud, like someone had dropped a small car in the sandy parking lot.

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

Total Time: 201:18:54

@Elizipeazie:

VS Mobil Generator AB

Total Time: 162:20:30

@Fayeding_Spray

Team M.A.D.

Total Time (Walkenhorst): 129:31:25

Total Time (Sakura Citrine): 140:42:36

@Shibusu

Team Sinesian Rejects

Total Time (Ilaris Imbe): 180:06:50

Total Time (Itan Ute): Did Not Finish

@Interior

Team Not-So-Slow

Total Time: 168:36:33

@TheYugo45GV

The Ambassadors

Total Time (IVERA Executive): 151:07:42

Total Time (Mayland Ambassador): 143:11:18

@Doot

The Knockouts

Total Time (1325 Facelift): 121:49:12

Total Time (Papillona 606 S): 146:30:36

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

Total Time: 171:13:31

@Jaimz68

Team HETS

Total Time: 216:25:31

@AMuteCrypt

Team Flaming Gallahs

Total Time: 146:17:35

@Edsel

Total Time: 145:12:54

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

Total Time: 220:34:07

@Odyssey_Fan

Team Sane Insanity

Total Time: 160:21:30

@PortalKat42

Faolan Industries

Total Time: 169:51:20

@AndiD

Team Taciturn

Total Time: 141:56:04

@BannedByAndroid

Team ReUnity

Total Time: 56:28:30

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

Total Time (Reekayns): 162:29:56

Total Time (Mocabey): 91:21:49

@IDK158

Team J3

Total Time: 239:13:33

@JCurtiss96 & @Leone

Team Aeromad

Total Time: 188:34:21

Total Time (Seikatsu): 103:47:26

Total Time (Dauer): 111:48:22

@Texaslav

Sheriff Scott’s Posse

Total Time: 147:15:29

@Xepy

Team “486”

Total Time: 74:29:36

@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T

Team Magdelena

Total Time (Baumhauer): 162:04:07

Total Time (Hinode): 116:38:45

@SurrealCereal

Total Time (Blue Wonder): 136:14:22

Total time (Faenza Spirito): 116:19:34

Cunning Stunts

Total Time: 141:07:00

@EnCR

Team Till D End

Total Time: 184:58:03

@LS_Swapped_RX-7

Basedworks

Total Time (RV): 145:24:24

Total Time (MCMOTD): 113:16:18

@Mikonp7

Team Gunship

Total Time: 158:10:03

@Ldub0775

4 Dicks in a Truck

Total Time: 119:26:01

And so there it is, the conclusion of Shitbox Rally 2023!

Unlike last year, where I announced winners of little awards for fun, well, I didn’t plan for that this time.

What Kasiya said is pretty much my thought pattern - Everyone here is a winner, because all of you made a cast of characters and a car or two, then threw them into this trip.

Things will be different next year. Yes, I’m confirming now that, life permitting, there will be a Shitbox Rally 2024. Some things are certain to change - We’re going a bit more back to basics. No power unit in camp, aggression goes away, and we go back to one vehicle. Some rules will be simplified. Other rules will be added. There’s a plan to limit the length of breakdowns. If we can make it work, something new and exciting coming for reliability.

What am I saying? Basically, I’m saying that I do listen. We can’t please everybody, but we can at least make a few changes to keep this challenge running smoothly.

About the only hint I can give you guys that’s set in stone is that I’ll be breaking the “one team per person” rule to field two teams. Shift Happens will return as the host team, but… The Highway Hooligans weren’t lying either - They will return.

6 Likes

Went off with a bang, loved it so far.

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Final part

Next day=beach day

Leopolda had stabilized in terms of health and was now able to go out and about.
Fact that her heart seemed to weaken somewhat was in no way going to change the fact this is still one entitled bitch. Good thing is that she was seemingly alone again

-I had arrived.
-Besides the Emperor, who tf cares…Oh, its you, Pedro.
-Yes. Seems you found yourself quite the company out here.
-And im staying with them.
Chicota noticed clothing on Pedro
-What’s the deal with police cosplay?
-I was showering when i dropped into this world. First group of people i had met were policemen.
Obviously not exactly best clothing ever or in best condition tbh, but they suit me well and im not naked
Andrea giggled
-Are you interested in joining us for little bit until you can get back to your own family and world?
-Not that i have much of an option, havent i?

Krta and his group had also arrived in meantime, although they parked at safe distance at which they would hardly raise suspicion

-Seems they are chilling on the beach
-Yes
-What do we say to boss?
-Snaps some photos Nothing.

They return and Krta is presented with photos

-Time to go, then. Its unlikely they will be attacked by something in such manner we can join in.
-But we are hungry. Cant we sneak in and pretend we are interested locals to get some food?
-Nevada also has food and we have currency that atleast can be exchanged there and hope of some common language.

Hungry or not, these “speshul forces” had gotten packing stuff and preparing for departure, which was to be done on another beach

-Oh wtf, i thought you said they were placed on just one beach?
-They are…oh no, i recognise both the car and its owner…
-Oh hello there. We meet again. You lot should bow down to your queen
-whispering into ear of another guy Can we kill her and attempt to make it look like an accident?
-answering in same manner Oh i wish, but i guess boss wouldnt be pleased on wasting resources like that
-We are going back to Earth. Wanna join us?
-Definitely, i want to be understood as queen that i am.

Rolled eyes across the entire group. Hopefully this arrangement isnt for long
Either way, their group (+ Leopolda) had went back to Earth and are therefore not on Nehmenweld beaches

Andrea had decided to go for a walk, kinda similarly to Valentin. She too, like Mary, had certain thing to contemplate and of similar kind.
She was also passing nearby rock formation and saw Valentin

-thinking Do i go over and say hi?

Very enthusiastic YESS! had prevented her from doing so
Lemme quote the context, originally written by Elizipeazie

On that note, the pairing stayed silent for another 15 minutes or so until Mary mustered enough bravery to make an important statement. Important to Mary, anyway…

“Ummm… Valentin?”
“Huh?”
“Did I tell you that I like you? Like… REALLY like you?”
“No?”
“Well I’m telling you now… I REALLY like you!”
“Uhm…”
“Take your time to process things, then.”

Valentin did take his time to process things, laying back down to free his mind from the pained wrist.

“So… You see myself being your boyfriend?”
“YESS!”
“In that case… a few words of ‘warning’. One, this would be my first actual relationship if we declare this as official. Two, because of this, I am pretty much inexperienced in anything romance or any typical ‘couple things’. Three, please do not expect me to treat you any differently because of this relationship status.”
“You never have even looked for a woman to partner up with?”

-Andrea for herselfOh my, that was very enthusiastic Yes. Such happiness. That feeling when you hear one word and its almost like you heard whole conversation.
This reminds me that i have certain…business i need to take care of.

Just to be clear, YESS! was indeed only thing Andrea heard from conversation above. But even that one word can reveal a lot as it was said with great enthusiasm.
Andrea did assume and coincidentally she may be correct, but her own love situation took precedence and she would need more concrete proof of Schrant-Jacknabbit relationship anyway.
With this, she strolled back into camp.

-Hello and welcome back. You enjoyed the walk?
-Yes and…it got me thinking.
-Could i possibly help there?
-Well, in a way, yes. You were partially the theme of thought
-Oh? How so?
-I may be willing to give you a chance. Just to be clear, im not yet going to guarantee two of us may work, but…im willing to try.
-I will do my best. YAY

Reaction earned fair bit of chuckle from other members of team that were around at that point
Andrea was also one such member
And thats how this Nehmenweld beach witnessed start of two relationships that were going the distance

-Be happy Sora havent heard you two. She would have complained about your poor choice
-Not confirmed as final, but…i dont care about her opinion on matter.
-You are closest thing to Emperor we have here. Apart from this asshole here.
-“This asshole” can kill you in few seconds.
-Im aware, Amanda. Im also aware you are going to do so only if your physical strength is challenged.
It might also kill the mood.
-smirks Smartass.

Sora arrives in meantime

-What has happened here? What did i missed?
-Amanda and Pedro exchanged feelings for each other, being asshole and smartass to each other, respectively.
-Nice, so i havent missed anything.

Just like Val and Mary, other new pair decided to have romantic moment, lying on camper roof and looking into night sky

-Did you enjoyed the journey?
-How about you?
-It was very nice, apart from bad parts
-Bad parts?
-Too many tire issues for my liking and waay too many refuels of Saguaro.
-Atleast we agree on that. Im not going to miss that part either.
-Isnt the sky nice tonight?
-It kinda is, but i guess i would like to dip myself into that ocean
-Wait for me, i wanna try to swim too.

She kinda prepared

-Thats not intended to be swimsuit.
-Uhhh…yeah, i kinda dont have proper swimsuit. I also kinda don’t care.
Who is even going to see me?
-Ok
With that sorted out, its time for water.
You must have head above the water and attempt to properly breathe
We will start in water that is shallow enough for you to stand upright and keep head above water.
-Its cold-ish.
-Ye, due to it being chilled out as it is night after all.
I feel that doggy style would be most intuitive swimming style.
-Swimming style of your ancestors
-Shut up

Andrea giggles, after which she was demonstrated the swimming technique
Tad bit later, she was allowed to do it semi-terribly, but still somewhat usable.

-Trying to do this in ocean, whole learning-to-swim thing…prob not the smartest idea.
-I dis…BLEUGH AAAAA
-lifting her entirely above water You wanted to say something?
-Well you gotta start somew…NOOOOOO

splash, few seconds later followed by him lifting her again
-You did it on purpose
-Ye…and water is shallow enough for you to just stand up.
-Its too cold out here. Return me to the water.
he obliged
-AAAAAA NOOOT LIKE THIII…
another splash, this time with her finding her own footing and standing up by herself
-Im great teacher, look how fast you learn
-Ye, bcos i can stand up here
-What, you want to learn how to do it when water is too deep to stand up?

Look of “Really needed to ask this?”
-Maybe, but enough of throwing
-But thats best part
-You enjoy this way too much
-I say that there is no “too much” here. Ofc i would enjoy to spend time with you
-By throwing me in water
-But i also pick you up from said water.
sigh
-How about we go gradually from one phase to next? Take it slowly and gently. Im talking overall, not just about swimming.

pause

-Ok. Here we go again…

following hour or two were spent in tad bit more serious fashion, so Andrea actually learns how to thread water and also rest
This being finished, they exit water and Andrea changes clothing. She heads to sleep, following example of others already asleep.

Return to Earth and beyond

Probably most interesting thing here is that Saguaro had two fuel stops.
“B-but Madrias had listed only one”
Yes, that would be the one in Rift. Another one happened further down the line and is nevertheless kinda important

As i believe you lot might be interested in how team acted upon all impromptu stops, to note that out quickly: Noone was particularly happy about it, but still patiently waited.
Chicota and Mat would also try to help out in few cases, where possible, but their role in fixing stuff was unremarkable.
Amanda was not happy about fact Saguaro was nearing the bottom of its tank and it was her that topped it up in Rift, using spare fuel onboard of Kontir.

There was also some hanging out in Nevada, which was mostly spent by stocking up on burgers and saying goodbye to host teams.

Regarding Krta’s team and Leopolda, tension was in the air.
It was pretty well known that former despised latter by this point.
Happily, once again, she decided to separate from them, likely getting into trouble where she may regret this decision.
Superior speed and power of her car meant she soon left them well behind her.

In short, she DID got into big trouble.

Fair bit of warning on next part: There arent any details, but central event in it might not be pleasant read.

Leopolda hit the ground with no pump to keep her running

Back to group composed of Saguaro, Kontir and people inside of them

-We gotta try to retune Saguaro to not be such a gas-guzzler.
-Maybe when we get back home…wherever that may be.
But for now, we will hit fuel station, like one just ahead of us.

They got to this small secluded fuel station. People were tense and quiet. It gave off really bad vibe.

-I smell…trouble…
-Same
-Seems something happened here that resulted in mess

Chicota decided to investigate this whole scene while cars were refueled.
Then he saw her

-Oh, seems there was some trouble.
What happened?
-She was very rude to us and caused mess in shop. Some of us didnt like it so we chased her. Dropped like a stone on that dirt patch.
You knew her?
-Not personally. Sorry, we may be merely able to pay for our own fuel, but not much more.
inspects her Seems she got heart attack.
-We want nothing to do with her.
-No problem, we will deal with it.

Pedro also got out

-Here is her car.
-From what we gathered, she wanted to fill it up for free. Saying she is some kind of queen doesnt guarantee such discount, especially if you are bitching about it.
-I will take her car to drive.
-Ok. We want nothing to do with her anyway.

Two cars in, three cars out

Meantime, tad bit away, but still able to observe the station…

-We got far enough?
-Yes. Our boss, Krta, might be amused to hear that annoyance is dealt with.
We are going to deal with Mravolinski-Chitco group…soon…
Cut their morale in tiny pieces with our…secret weapon.

sounds emitted by said weapon could be heard in background, some may say that they bring bad memories

Wrap up

Silence. Nobody says a word. No other sound is emited.

-I lost a wife fair few decades ago, but…now…its official.
-Edward, care to explain?
-Im King here, that should be respected.
But valid question.
-You may be King of this kingdom, but we mostly interacted outside of it. Besides, we always refered to you by your given name, not by title
-Excuses, excuses…now give me some moment to word asked-for explanation

Edward knows exactly what is he talking about and decides to immerse himself in memory of time period

-Leopolda i knew at the beggining was absolutely best possible woman one can desire. Im aware you can hardly believe, but young woman or well…maybe even tad bit bigger girl was absolute sweetheart back then.
I may be prince at that time, but saw no class barriers as issue.
She may had been common folk, but her beauty and behaviour had won me over.
I married her as result.

took sip of water

-Im not sure when and how change came to be, but she indeed changed. I was helpless to whole situation, maybe hoping she will not get consumed by royal title and power that such brings…
Was it before my dad died and i became king? Not sure and likely doesn’t matter in the end.
I did everything i could to please her, but i dont think it might had been enough.

One visitor spoke, as they saw an opening

-Not sure if this would have been insulting thing to even think about, but couldnt you remarry for someone else?
-Its not that simple, but can’t say i haven’t thought of that myself.
Couple of issues with idea:

• She had developed immense jealousy towards literally any other female i may interact with. I doubt i need to explain that said jealousy could be quite violent…im sure you lot do happen to know that very well
    Never killed anyone, but i know she had intentions to do so

Chicota interrupted

-Yes, we know of one girl that was on her hit list. But her plans would always happen to badly backfire on her.
-Hardly a surprize and this neatly fits into another reason why i havent remarried

• My age might easily make me too old to be considered interesting husband. Im not young by almost any means you can picture, going towards wrapup of my 7th decade since birth.
    I certainly wouldnt mind having younger partner, but potential and nowadays rare partner would prob not be excited about such proposition.

Silence

-I guess that her economic background doesnt matter?
-Indeed it doesnt, not that im allowed to be picky cracks a smile
-Look, you arent such a bad choice as you picture yourself.
Some niceties are fairly obvious: she becomes a queen, which is indeed very lovely position for fair bit of reasons.
You are nice person and, despite being royal blood from very beggining, arent looking down upon other people in kingdom
-Not to mention i would sometimes happen to be outside of said kingdom.
-True that. Point is: maybe you see that as something to be expected, but truth is that many monarchs are, in fact, entitled and not caring about their people.
You also dont look age you indicate.

Edward looked at his muscled body. He knew that Andrea speaks truth, but also knows how said physique is obtained
Sighs

-Back when Leopolda was…facelifted, i also took opportunity to do so. My former fat tissue now bows down to muscle. Im still on bigger side, but now with more capability of propelling myself.
This is not naturally obtained physique and besides, no guarantee my organs would match this state.
So, for all effective means and purposes, im still pretty much old man.
-Hmmm, you have all the ingredients to keep yourself in good shape: access to good food, enough time to exercise, not to mention im sure Klimentol can tweak up those organs to match the muscle
-I find no desire for non-natural enhancements, so i may decline there. Im doing what i can in other mentioned areas, though.
-Then i find no need to worry about being maidenless for long.
-We are going to go back soon.
-Fair enough. I would personally make sure your needs while here are accounted for.
-Sounds sweet

Two creatures are moving in direction. One was powered by redirected sense of revenge, while other was making sure job will be done. Relatively compact human is hardly noticeable besides the beast and will pale in comparison in more ways than physical.
Human ran after a car

-STOOOOP
-Who tf are you? notices beast How can i be of help?
-Looking for very specific company.
-Hmm, which one?
-One that made your car.
-Dealership is that way, about 2 km away

Thats 1.25 miles for ones that read the text, but enjoy measuring short distance with body parts instead of meter and its derivatives

-Ok, thanks for help to creature Cmon, lets go, stop sniffing the tire
creature gets back to normal height. Well, normal for it, anyway

Either way, they found a destination

-As we had agreed upon earlier, you hide until i whistle
followed by actually whistling That was whistling. Are we clear?

At first they were in state of mutual confusion, but soon words got proper meaning and hiding spot was (somehow) found.
Human continued onward and fair enough…human found exact person that was of interest

-Hello there.
-Hello, i guess?
-I heard you are pretty good fighter. I prefer to put it on test.
-I can defend myself if thats of your interest, but can hardly imagine being classed as good fighter.
-Interesting…but i allow no excuses

whistles, which results in most of their two-member team also appearing

-Ah yes, definition of good fighter is simply to defeat something gigantic
-ATTACK

And as such, the fight started…

-We need more cars. Also to organise our…home or homes…
-There will be time for that. You are just eager to go and attempt travelling around again, but this time with car.
-Yes, three of us will appreciate something to be used.
-…Dont tell me she is joining you two
-…So?
-Someone might be startled by her appearance
-I had thought hard and long on that matter. Realised i dont give a fuck. Will need driver licenses for atleast me and Siviko.
-But in what car are you gonna go to such journey?
-Thats on you lot to find, i merely know how to drive one
-“Merely know how to drive” is insufficient to get driver license
-Sounds like your problem
-My problem? MY. PROBLEM. Its YOU that said document needs to be made for. Its YOU that needs to get it.
-Thats on you lot to find, i merely know that said document is required
-DO YOU HAVE ANY FKING IDEA ON HOW GETTING THE LICENCE WORKS
-Thats on you lot to figure out?
-Do you think i can just, like…shit it out of my ass? That its sufficient for us to merely make some documents that feature both your name and words “DRIVER LICENCE”?
-I guess so?
-NO. YOU NEED TO ATTEND CLASSES AND YOU NEED TO GO THROUGH DRIVING TESTS TO GET IT.
-I know how to drive
-THATS NOT ENOUGH
-I mean, you learn as you go on.
-ITS NOT HOW IT WORKS

Someone else has joined

-Suggestion. Tone it down, change subject or not talk at all
-Ok. How is she called?
-Rosanda.

tense look of motherfucker was aimed at Loojoe

-What, she is indeed Rosanda, not that hard to figure out.
-I refered to cat, not to this girl.
-Someone named their cat Rosanda?
-NO
-What tf are you talking about, then?
-Six-legged cat, one that is now with Siviko…
-What about her?
-What is her name?
-Of THAT cat?
-YES
-She has no name.
-Why?
-Ask her. Cant guarantee you would understand answer, but you can ask.
-Does either of you understand her?
-No.
-How tf you think you can communicate with her, then?
-Life and love always find a way.
-I better stop questioning you before i fry myself arguing
-Good idea. Make sure that our driving licences and car will be ready at that point
-rolls eyes Will look into it…
-Sweet

And thats i guess indeed wrap-up on side of this team related to Shitbox Rally 2023.
Thanks for hosts for hosting and participating, fellow participants for participating and i hope to see you all next year for same thing
Hopefully we will all have more time and motivation that time around on what really makes this competition special, which is roleplaying around

1 Like