Shitbox Rally 2023 - Stage 14 (FINISHED!)

TEAM FLAMING GALLAHS

The Two OOC Rules

There are two rules which I will include in every one of my posts, to be clear (in a details pane, to save space). These are:

• Flirting and sexualisation - opt-in OOC. Two of my characters are drag performers, yes. Drag performers will often flirt with people and such… But I won’t do this. It’s something that I know will make people uncomfortable. Want to opt in? Go ahead - tell me OOC, and I will bear it in mind.
  • Outright bigotry is completely off the table. By all means, feel free to have characters react to the flamboyance, to the theatre, to the pageantry. Have them be taken aback by that, have them be unaccustommed to characters messing around with gender. Have them not understand the various identities at play… But please do not cross the line into outright bigotry or slurs. I have been wavering back and forth about this (showing bigotry to critique it is a valid strategy) but ultimately two factors motivated me to put this here:
    – It puts extra work on the challenge hosts and moderators, making them verify and interpret whether or not the content crosses the line or has a good reason to be there.
    – I just don’t wanna. I wanna have fun, I don’t wanna put in the work to make sure the writing conveys the message I want it to play. Even if I know that slurs and abuse are being written with the best of intentions, it is still just not fun to engage with them.

TLDR: Flirting is fine, feel free to ask. Outright bigotry is less fun for me and extra work for people who already put in a lot of extra work to make this community work.

I know that might not be strictly needed. The first half is covered by the rules of the challenge and my consent post. The second is arguably covered by the community standards and by challenge rules. Still, I always believe that an explicit statement is better than an implicit assumption.

ENTER, PURSUED BY BEAR

[Scene: Rural Australia. A sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains. Gum leaves hang down, while grass tress sway in the breeze. All is still, for a moment - from stage left, enter an extravanly decorated bus, decorated in the colours of many pride flags. The name “PRISCILLA II” is displayed.]

[The bus stops, and two people come out - TAINT JIMMY and TAYMIN PALA. JIMMY is a drag king, real name GIA. He is dressed in like a punk rocker from the early 00s - black jeans, skate shoes, an undershirt with an unbuttoned overshirt. His black hair is spiked and held up by gel, and eyeshadow is haphazardly smeared around his eyes. He stands about 5’4", with little muscle mass. TAYMIN, meanwhile, is a drag queen, real name BEN. She is clad in a feather boa and a sequined red dress. Her hair is a pastel purple, a curled but realistic style not unlike Dame Edna Everidge. The one concession to practicality is her shoes, a pair of hiking shoes rather than the heels one might expect from a queen. She stands at about 5’7", taller than JIMMY. JIMMY speaks with a general Australian accent, while TAIMIN speaks with a broad Australian accent.]
JIMMY: Well, about what I expected, right? It’s a bus, so it’s slow as balls. Should be legal, how was the bed?
TAIMIN: Bed was absolutely delightful, darling, no complaints there! I think Kit’s still asleep, want me to grab them? Eddie and Jane are making coffee.
JIMMY: Yeah, nah, I’m sure Jane will take care of it, and Kit’ll spend some time getting ready for the world, you know how it is.
TAIMIN: Sounds about right, yeah, may as well. Still got some paint to throw up along the side of the bus I reckon, should work. You hear about the car Kit’s been working on?
JIMMY: The one carved from fibreglass? Saw some of the drawings, wonder if it’ll be done in time.
[A man exits the bus, wearing a black and red checkered flannel and baggy cargo shorts. The collar has a litany of pins - he/they, a trans flag, a Bluey pin… This is EDDIE. He is shorter than JIMMY, an even five feet with a rounded face. Straight black hair covers one of their eyes, the sides of his hair are shaved. He has a small amount of stubble, and carries three mugs with drinks - two in one hand, one in the other. They speak with a Belfast accent, slightly high in pitch. A simple black ring sits on the middle finger of his right hand, and he wears black lipstick.]
EDDIE: Hey, coffee’s ready. One white, one black, and my tea.
[The two mugs are taken, leaving EDDIE to raise the third and sip it.]
EDDIE: Funny, isn’t it? Just got over here, and already we’re on the move.
[A fourth person hugs EDDIE from behind. This is JANE - 5’9". She wears an orange button-up shirt and black skinny jeans, tighter than JIMMY’s. They are lithe and slender, with wavy blue hair coming down to her shoulders. She wears sleek, modern glasses, and has a rugged watch on her left hand. On their right middle finger, there sits a ring identical to EDDIE’S. She speaks with a New Zealand accent.]
JANE: Should be fine so long as we’re together, my little raincloud…
[JANE gently kisses EDDIE’S neck, smirking.]
JIMMY: Ah, you two are so cute, should make it fun, for sure… Do we know how we are getting to America? Has Kit mentioned that?
[A voice can be heard from the bus, with a cultivated Australian accent. KIT.]
KIT: I’m dealing with it, don’t worry! It’ll all be fine!
[The group laughs and chuckles. It only takes a couple of seconds for KIT to come out. Xe wears a long, flowing black coat and matching pants. Xir hair is cut in a feminine bob, contrasting with a thin moustache and goatee. Xir face is androgynous, the sort of face that presents a different impression depending on the angle from which one approaches. The inside of the coat is crushed purple velvet, with a white vest visible. Below the sleeves of the coat are white gloves, matching the vest. Xir feet are clad in polished leather boots, a downright theatrical getup, almost rivalling the bus. Xe is an even six feet tall, the tallest of the group.]
KIT: Let’s just enjoy the testing, shall we?

Glossary, Explanations, Useful Links, Etc
  • Broad, General, Cultivated Australian Accent: There are three common types of Australian accent, not counting the various racial/cultural ones. Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin have Broad accents, the most stereotypical. Daniel Ricciardo and Hugh Jackmann have general accents, somewhere in the middle. The cultivated accent is a more posh one, almost British, and is spoken by Cate Blanchette. See this video.
  • “Priscilla II” is a reference to the film Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert.
  • The bus does not currently feature an interior, but one has been planned and will be worked on.
  • Eddie and Jane’s rings are what’s known as “Ace Rings” - rings worn to signal that one is some form of Asexual.
  • Feel free to refer to Jimmy/Gia and Taymin/Ben by either name and any pronouns. Feel free to use he or they for Eddie and she or they for Jane. Kit strongly prefers Xe/Xey/Xir pronouns, but will accept They/Them/Their pronouns.
  • Descriptions of Jimmy and Taymin when not in drag will come whenever that happens IC.
  • For the colourblind, flags currently on the bus include Trans (main body + roof), 6-Stripe Pride (front grille), Asexual (storage compartments), Aromantic (storage compartments, other side), Pansexual (wheels), Intersex (large speaker), Bisexual (small speakers), Demigirl/Boy (engine compartments at the rear) and Genderfluid (circles towards the front).
  • I am still adding flags, and could not get all the flags I wanted on the exterior. Some will go on the interior, some will be added to the exterior… But I wanted to get a post up. I do have a list of flags to add, it’s partly a matter of placement.
  • I could not get the any character creators to work the way I wanted to, so… You get descriptions. Also, decided to write it like a theatre script, because I’m a theatre nerd and a lot of my characters are theatrical too.
  • I have been inspired to make a second car but may not have time. It may be coming soon, it may not be finished in time for the challenge, we will see.
8 Likes

Team Taciturn, Ep. 1: Escape!

Stardate 48554.3
S.S. Mono, Orbit around Cygnus III

A green skinned alien with two antennas on top of their head materialises in a dimly lit room. They look around, a bit startled and frightened, clutching a leather bag with their eight fingered hand. A short while later, a yellow six-armed alien materialises a short distance away. The two exchange a quick greeting and start an animated conversation.

Escaped?
Affirmative!
Security?
Pursuit!
Loot?
Here.
The green alien points to the leather bag.
Casualties?
None!
Others?
Unknown.
Hide!
Where?
Unknown!
Jumps?

The alien checks a nearby computer console that indicates a dangerously low fuel level.
One!

A strange device buzzes in the pocket of the yellow alien. They look at it together and see the following message: “It looks like you are trying to find a good hiding spot. Would you like help?”

Yes!

After another buzzing sound the device displays a short message saying “Don’t panic” in large friendly letters, and then shows an advertisement for the SR 2023. Both aliens skim quickly through the ad.

Nehmenweld!
Where?
Undimension.
Untrackable!
Excellent!
Caveat?
Earth first!
Where?
Sol III.
Humans?
Abundant.
Inconspicuous!
Harmless!
Mostly.
Transformations?

Another look at the computer console on the wall.
One!

The strange device buzzes again, this time with a more urgent buzz. Both make an affirmative gesture to each other.

Course!
Sol III!
Engage!

They exchange another affirmative glance.

Transform!

The two aliens jump into a nearby chamber.

Energise!

After a short bath in light and sound (and a few screams), both emerge from the chamber, outwardly transformed. They look each other over.

Human!
Twins!

Cal. (The formerly green alien points at themselves.)
Curt. (The other does likewise.)

They don’t have much time to orient themselves in their new - and fairly nondescript, even for human standards - shapes until the ships computer announces their arrival at the destination.

Slow!
Cloak!
Land?
Yes!
Where?
North!
Canada?
Friendly?
Yes!
Go ahead!

OOC: Not my Plan A but I don’t seem to be inspired right now to roll my Oxracers out of cryo storage, so I came up with this instead. As I suspect that most of my writing energy will go into LHC’s Mara stories for the next few months, this format will hopefully allow me to get by with a two word post per stage, if necessary. Let me know if you can’t make heads or tails of what happened, then I’ll have to rethink the format

5 Likes

Team Sinesian Rejects

plus Shift Happens and VSmgAB

Team information
Previous part (Part 0.99 - Turn it off-)
Next part (Part 2 - Sour Dreams)

Part 1 - Sunday Friday driver

March 31, 2023 – 11:20AM

As TJ, Alauran, Ianis and Jas exit the weathered motel, the sun is already high in the sky- They wouldn’t have to rush by any means, but if they had a failure they’d probably be too late for Jas’s tastes, which would still be eight hours before they’d actually be late. Stepping in the cars, they set off for the camp, some forty miles away. With Ianis alone in the Ilaris Itan Ute again, the rest make themselves comfortable in the small Imbe.

As they start driving, they start to see again why they didn’t head for the city. Traffic. Traffic everywhere. Not coarse or rough, but everywhere nonetheless. Slowly wading through the traffic, they eventually make their way to the freeway, where they finally pick up some speed. Going only a few miles had taken an hour, but they’d pick up pace now. Like usual, Ianis took the opportunity to swim through traffic going at least twenty over, while the others kept with the flow of traffic.

Jas then speaks up over the CB.

“Hey, is it fine if we like, stop before the camp to get a final look at cars before we head over there-“

Ianis then scoffs, keying the mic in the process. After some silence, he replies.

“Fine, fine. Whatever. If it soothes your nerves.”

Jas looks at TJ and Alauran.

“I’m starting to think bringing him was a mistake.”

“Well, let’s not decide that yet. Maybe he’s just in a bad mood, we all have those days.” TJ gives Alauran a bit of a shove, who gives one back, upsetting the car a bit in the process, which swerves left and right a bit before driving straight again.

“Well, that’s certainly a very serious and chronic case of having a bad mood.” Jas sighs.

The trio-plus-one drove on the desert highway, engine performance noticeably down from when they started in South Dakota. They eventually turn on to Nevada State Route 160, known as the Pahrump Valley Highway, for going through the unincorporated town, though the camp is well short of Pahrump. A few minutes after making the turn, they stop.

Immediately after the Itan’s engine stops, Ianis steps out. He’s either checking tens of things with a glance per second, or just pretending to. Either way, it wasn’t a good check. As he finishes up his round of inspection, TJ opens his door, and with some effort, shouts:

“What’s the matter with you?”

Ianis stops dead in his tracks. His face turns to murder, then back to neutral. Muttering as he walks back to the driver’s side, he says,

“Nothing. I just want to get this done.”

Before TJ can formulate a response, Ianis steps back in the car, door slamming, drowning out any attempt that TJ could have made at getting Ianis’s attention. As he starts the engine again, he honks the horn before driving off into the distance, TJ standing confused, looking at the dust kicked up by the ute in the distance. Deciding it wasn’t worth pursuing, he goes back to what they originally stopped for, which was for a bit of an inspection.

Looking over the car, most things were fine. Radiator was good, oil and coolant were at a good level, brake and clutch fluid topped up, fire extinguisher working well on Jas’s face, and windshield untouched by Jas too. To top it off, the wipers magically started working again, and with that, TJ decided the technical inspection of their own was done. All good, still blowing smoke all the same, however.

As TJ entered the car again, he looked at Alauran and Jas, equally puzzled as he was. Waiting for some talk, he realizes that nobody really wants to speak, which is when he stomps the accelerator, getting back on the road. Only a few minutes later however, they see Ianis and the Itan on the sand beside the road.

“I have the urge to just leave him in the dust, like he’s done to us before.”

“That would probably be a really bad idea. We can’t just leave him with half of everything we have. Considering his policy right now, we’d be positively screwed, probably not returning to see us in the rally again.” – Alauran continues, “Besides, we’re a team. We should seek him out if he’s having troubles. Could have a lot on his mind.”

Hearing this, TJ hits the brakes, the sporty pads screeching as the anti-lock braking system tries to prevent them from becoming a scorch on the guardrail. Jas, who wasn’t buckled in, shoots forward, hitting face-first into the headrest of Alauran. Both yelp a swear as it happens, Jas subsequently throwing on his seatbelt as quickly as possible.

When Alauran tried and failed to fumble with the wind-up windows, TJ decided it wasn’t worth waiting for the little glass to come back down from the simultaneously slipping and rubbing linkages. He steps out of the car, gaining the courage to confront Ianis.

“What is really the matter with you? Is there really anything that’s bothering you to the point you have to leave the rest of your team behind? What do you want?”

Silence.

“We invited you to come with us so we could all be back together for a fun time. For old time’s sake. It kind of hurts us all, you know?”

Ianis throws the cigarette bud to the side.

“Do I come across like that?”

TJ’s face turns into the physical representation of ‘Did you really just say that?’, also known as immense disappointment.

“YES.”

Ianis turns, facing the car.

“I see. I will slow down. This time.”

TJ lets out an immense sigh, knowing that he probably won’t be able to convince him to stay together. With an immense effort he speaks up again.

“Okay…just drive in convoy this one time so we look like actual normal people who joined for the fun of it.” – He sharpens his gaze, “Then you can do whatever. We’ll be having fun by ourselves.”

Hearing no response, TJ is defeated, and heads back to his car, stepping in, and turning the key. As soon as he’s about to drive off, Ianis steps back in to the Itan, where he turns the engine on and throws it in to drive, with the foot to the floor. A bit of wheel complaints, but he’s moving.

The desert made it hard to focus on anything that wasn’t the immediate road ahead or the tenseness of the situation with Ianis. Having figured out how to work the radio, Jas sets out to lighten the mood a bit by playing some music.

Off of the midi tone generator from his laptop. Poorly recorded on to a cassette.

“Guess what, I’ve got some music to keep us company for a bit.”

Like he did before, he triumphantly pulls out a cassette, this time from a cassette deck he seemed to have pulled out of nowhere. Labeled ‘Cool Beats’, he puts it down beside him.

Alauran, understandably confused, asks, “Where did you even get that?”

“I brought a lot of stuff I thought we might need. Like this!” – Jas swings what appears to be a throwing axe – no, tomahawk, in the cabin.

Alauran, fearing he or TJ will end up with an ear less than they started the journey with, shouts panickedly. “PUT THAT DOWN! YOU CAN’T JUST SWING THAT IN THE CAR!” – He tries to wrestle the object from Jas, eventually getting a good grip, and with superior strength he makes Jas lose his, subsequently resulting in the thing flying in to the windshield before hitting the dash.

“Okay…can you NOT do that ever again, Jas?”

TJ chimes in. “We…have to keep this thing running for five-thousand miles, and that includes not tearing up the interior. Remember we have to sleep in this, since Ianis is probably not going to let us sleep in the back of the ute.”

Jas relents, sighs, and hands the cassette over to Alauran, who puts it in the cassette player. Whatever tune comes out certainly isn’t masterfully produced, but at least has a semblance of melody.

“To be honest, this isn’t helping.” TJ says.

“Let’s just let it play before we make judging statements.” Alauran responds, Jas looking satisfied with the proposal.

As the tape runs its course the three start to relax. Though it ends after fifteen minutes because Jas forgot how to get the thing to record on the other side without the help of the long-lost manual.

Mind cleared, they head on to the gravel path laid out in front of them. In the distance, Alauran spots a column of dust.

“There’s some dust rising in the distance, suppose our destination is there.”

TJ, who has quickened the pace a bit following some close approaches from Ianis, says, “Hard to miss it, considering the only trace of civilization here is this gravel path, and it has to end somewhere.”

Alauran shrugs. “I guess…are those military?”

TJ suddenly tugs at the wheel and slows down to move aside. The vehicles rumble past at a somewhat slow pace. Ianis, however, continues on and nearly collides with the trucks, before slowing down, locking the wheels as he gives a love tap to the Imbe, knocking off the already damaged rear bumper, which was held in by a few weak rivets.

As the cars drive on, they eventually reach the campsite. The sun makes everything a bit of a squinting exercise, but a pair of HD-GVs can be seen, with four Diones and their accompanying trailers. Along with them stands a container with what would presumably be water, and a few charcoal grills to finish it off. Additionally, someone appears to be sitting at a picnic table with a computer.

TJ drives up at speed, tugs on the handbrake in an attempt to be stylish. Instead he just slides in to a bush. Ianis arrives more tamely, parking the vehicle, before walking off to go have a smoke and ponder the whole rally ahead of him.

TJ steps out of the vehicle, for his side hasn’t been graced with the presence of an unknown bush. Looking around, he sees a few people walking around and the aforementioned someone using a computer.

Walking up to the closest person he can see, he makes a bit of a noise to draw the attention of Rohan “Arsenic” Patel, before speaking up.
“Heya, I’m here for the Shitbox Rally. This the right place to be?”

Rohan is caught in the middle of carrying a crate labeled as containing ammo.

With wide eyes, he looks back at the stranger, simply shaking his head in the general direction of the HD-GVs of Shift Happens.

Another soldier, passing by, speaks up: “We’re just defense. Hosts are over there.”

TJ, who has never dealt with anyone from the military before, simply goes “Roger, uh, thanks.”, before briskly walking off to the HD-GVs. In the meantime, the rest of the team disembarks the Imbe, standing around, waiting for TJ to come back with more instructions.

Kasiya pulled himself up over the back of the HD-GV Home-Unit’s climate control fan assembly, nearing the end of a quick workout. This time, he noticed a smaller wolf-like being walking toward them, making him pause for a few seconds at the top of his lift. Deciding that meeting the new person was important, Kasiya heaved himself away from the vehicle, landing “lightly” on his feet.

Takaraya, inside the Home-Unit, gripped the counter next to the microwave as he experienced a “minor earthquake” courtesy of his son.

Kasiya walked toward the new person, then said, “Anything I can help you with? I’m Kasiya, with the host team, Shift Happens.”

As TJ stabilizes himself from the impact, he goes on to introduce his team.
“Uh, hey. I’m here for the rally with my team Sinesian Rejects?” - He completely forgets to introduce himself to the ten-foot being towering above him. Eventually, he remembers that he has a name, and says,
“I’m Tolok-Javon by the way…you can call me TJ. I’m, uh, here to tell you we’ve arrived. So like, if you’re keeping track of that.”

He knows he’s spouting whatever words can spring up in his mind at this point, but continues talking.
“So like…what do we do? Are there any, like, things to set up for the others? I suppose we’re the first team to arrive.”

Kasiya gave a light smile, then looked to TJ and said, “I’m not the official keeper-of-the-records, but I know who is.”

He looked over to Kaylie and waved her over, then said, “Kaylie’s somewhat our team captain. Also means she keeps the records. Kaylie, this is Tolok-Javon from team Sinesian Rejects.”

Kaylie nodded, grabbing her phone and checking over the entry information. “Right, a team of four, two vehicles,” Kaylie said, her chromed left arm glinting slightly in the sunlight. “Says here you want some power, so I’ll send Kasiya to let Valentin know you’re here. Now…” Kaylie sighed, looking around for Malavera. “Twin Suns, how can it be this hard to find a two-headed wolf? Kasiya, where’s Malavera at?”

“Playing video games on his laptop, picnic table just over there,” Kasiya said, motioning in the direction of a handful of toilet stalls and a lone picnic table.

Kaylie shook her head, then said, “Okay, so here’s what we’re going to do. I need to get Malavera to inspect your cars. You, on the other hand, can enjoy our camp for the moment. If you’re hungry, let Takaraya know. He’s the other rather-large wolf, can’t miss him, he’s just in there,” Kaylie mentioned, pointing to the Home-Unit, “and he’ll re-heat either some burgers or chicken for you.”

As TJ deeply ponders the opportunity to eat, he decides he doesn’t exactly want to bother anyone else, exacerbated by the fact that they had a huge supply of perishables to burn through, courtesy of Alauran’s shopping a couple of days prior. Looking back up, he says,
“Thanks for the offer! We do have a lot of food ourselves that we need to get through before it goes bad. And Jas of the team really wants to try cooking with…unconventional equipment.” - remembering the video where someone cooked bacon using a gun barrel.

Kaylie chuckled. “As someone who has done burgers with a hot engine, my advice? Don’t use the smoke machine, everything will taste like motor oil afterward.” She fired off a message to Malavera, who put his game on pause and got up to look over the two cars.

Malavera walked over to the pair of Ilaris vehicles, one a slightly damaged Itan ute with a broken windshield, one an Ilaris Imbe that looked like it was more-or-less two or three cars put together.

He looked around, trying to figure out who was in charge, then waved over TJ.
“What in the name of the Moons is this?” Malavera asked, motioning to the Frankencar.
“That’s… The windshield on the ute, I’ll have Jayde take a look at that for you. This, however… It’s hardly safe. Then again, it’s your funeral if you crash it. I would get the two big guys over here to lift the front so I could get a good look underneath, but seeing the “craftsmanship” used to weld this back together, I’d be afraid they’d rip the suspension off by accident.”

TJ, under the scrutiny of the two-headed Khalan who knew a thing or two, relented on the quality of his work, going on to say, “Y-yeah. The car isn’t…well…great, but I’m sure it’s safer than most other cars that’ll be around here- it hasn’t rusted at all, since it’s made from aluminum. And hey, at least it has a roll-cage.” - pointing at the steel tube structure, unconvincingly.
“Which means if we roll over we’ll have a head. Legs? Not so sure. But a head at least.”
He looks around, trying to think of anything else that would redeem the poor craftsmanship in reassembly. Eventually, he thinks of something.
“And we have a functional fire extinguisher. I tested it on his” - pointing at Jas, “fugly face.”
Jas, sitting on a rock using his computer, goes and throws a pebble at TJ, promptly missing by a fair margin and putting another dent in the Imbe’s bodywork instead.
“Just aluminum things. Like denting at the slightest sign of an impact.” - He kicks the door for dramatic effect, accidentally denting it even more than it already was.

“You’d be surprised to know our rigs are aluminum bodied, too. Yet you witnessed Kasiya, the 500 kilogram, three meter tall, midnight-furred skyscraper using it as exercise equipment,” Malavera replied.

“As said, it’s your choice to drive or ride in this. Consider them both legal, if only just barely for this one,” Malavera added, motioning to the Frankencar. “Here, it’s a Shitbox Rally sticker. Put it on the passenger side of your windshield. Or on the hood. Anywhere you choose. I’d do it, but I don’t need to put any more dents in this car. Also, who’s the one who painted the, ah… “object,” on the fender of the ute?”

Alauran, who has remained silent for most of the conversation, speaks up in unison with TJ:
“Jas.”
Hearing his name, Jas stands up from the rock, setting the heavy laptop aside. “What’s up?” - He says.
“Malavera here wants to know about that .” Alauran points at the…shape.
“I have no idea how that got on there! It was just there by the end of the painting session.”
TJ and Alauran look at each other, both wishing that Jas could at least make an effort to lie, instead of the crackhead paint-job equivalent of a dog eating someone’s homework.

Malavera sighed. “Ran out of paint?” he asked. Before getting an answer, he added another question with, “Would you like a can of either orange or black to cover that up, or are you just leaving it?”

Jas stutters out, “Uh, yes. That. I’m not touching paint again after I ruined my favorite shirt with pink paint. So you can count me out of painting over it.” He then sits back down to do something on his laptop, pretending that the entire thing didn’t happen.

TJ looks at the object pictured and decides it’s probably not worth the effort. Similarly, Alauran just pretends he doesn’t see the pink shape on the fender.

“We’ll keep it, it’s probably not as bad as other people’s paint jobs. And if someone doesn’t like it, we’ll just throw some paint bucket on there.”

Malavera chuckled. “Fair enough. As said, both cars pass tech-inspection. We’ll get Jayde’s attention at some point, convince him to help with the windshield break,” he said. Looking over to where Kaylie was, he called out, “Hey, Kaylie, mind getting Jayde over here to look at their windshield?”

Kaylie gave a chrome thumbs-up, then sent Jayde their way.

Jayde took a look at the broken window, then said, “Fixed one of these last year after someone ran through a bit of wildlife about Kasiya’s size. Should be easier here, I’ve got more to work with.” He took a look around, then added, “Provided you want me to try this, at least. I have a few… talents.”

Narrowing his eyes to take a look at the windshield, Alauran goes on and decides.

“I don’t like freezing at the beginning and I don’t think any of you do either, so I suppose it will be quite good to get that patched up.”

TJ nods in agreement, slapping the Shitbox Rally sticker on the car in the process. Jas’s too busy figuring out why the cassette deck isn’t working properly with a new computer to agree or disagree, and so Alauran just gives a thumbs up and a smile in place of the third nod.

Jayde nodded, then fumbled around with his cane and his bag for a moment, before pulling his old staff out of the bag, despite there being no way it’d fit normally. He then picked up a mortar and pestle, set that on the hood of the Itan, pulled out a bottle of still-frosty orange soda, pried the metal cap from the glass bottle, and chugged the contents, before breaking the now-empty bottle into the bowl, crushing the glass into powder, and, with a slight smile, applied a bit of magic.

For the briefest moment, Jayde was holding a bowl full of molten glass. Then, an instant later, there were red streaks in the Itan’s windshield, slowly cooling to a clean and whole windshield.

Jayde gave a light smile and said, “Now you know why I’m one of our team’s “Repair Specialists.” Try to keep that a little bit of a secret. I’m not supposed to “scare the normies,” as Kaylie would say.”

While they had known that there would be some sort of unnatural occurrence, considering the rift, seeing it performed in front of their own eyes made it sink in a lot more.
“Okayyy-” TJ tries to say more, but the whole magic part hadn’t actually gone to his brain to make it work for once. Contrary to TJ, Alauran just looks at Jayde, a thousand thoughts whirring in his head as it finally gets to his head that maybe the sudden transference of planets was real instead of a collective dream…
“Well, of course. We will.” Jas, who had finished whatever he was doing with the cassette deck, walks up to the now not-broken windshield of the ute. “Guh- wasn’t there a hole in that a minute ago?”

Alauran gets a big smile on his face.
“No? It was always like that.”

Jas spends a second pondering whether his whole life was a lie and he’d spent the years of his life in the Matrix, before uttering, “Okay. I serio-”
“Shhhh…” Alauran interrupts him and shoos him off to the frankencar.

Jayde smirked and dropped his supplies back into his bag, chuckling quietly as he wandered back over to the rest of his team, with Malavera slowly returning to his laptop, resuming his game as virtual rally cars once again hurtled into the digital tree-line.

Kasiya walked over to Robert II and crouched down, carefully knocking on the door before saying, “Sorry to bother you, Valentin, but, we have a team over there, “Sinesian Rejects,” who need power.”

Valentin was sat within the deeply recessed bucket seat of Robert II, now actually wearing a new button-up that he fetched from his suitcase a while earlier. He was shuffling through some sheets of paper, occasionally going to his phone when Kasiya gently knocked against the driver door. Despite the attempt at being gentle with it, Valentin very much was startled at the sudden distraction, jolting within the seat and almost dropping his phone into the abyss underneath. “Uh hello…” Valentin mutters, before he looks up the respective information for the Sinesian Rejects on his phone, where he kept track of anything relevant to power generation and distribution. “Right. One plug for them… if they need it now , they can come and get the equipment and such. Ideally, I would distribute that to everyone in the evening when all participants are actually present.”

Kasiya nodded. “I can understand that. I’ll be over by the trucks if you need me. Sorry for the startle,” Kasiya replied.

Meanwhile, TJ, Alauran and Jas go back to sitting in the Imbe, passing time making some ‘music’ and talking.

Bonus: The bet

March 30, 2023

“I hate you Jas-” Alauran mutters, cradling a hand full of sand.

“You’re welcome.”

Alauran throws the sand in to his face, mouth open, before hacking and coughing, trying his best to rid himself of the mouthful as fast as he can.

“Grah…” - He throws a punch at Jas, who is promptly knocked out, falling down in to a clump of bushes.

Ianis, watching the ordeal from the corner, chuckles, before going back to reading a newspaper.

(OOC: This part is bonus here, since “Who starts a conversation story post like that? I just sat down!”)

4 Likes

Ive decided to not do a bio for the others, but instead I’ve thought of something else. Anyone who wants to know anything can DM me here or on Discord (im easy to spot). But I’ll give some more info
Johnny: he is an ex convict, and was involved in a dodgy private militia named Pronteran. He was originally a USAF pilot. He spent 10 years in the slammer but is making his adjustment to society again
Jacqueline: she made the mistake of making an advert for potential roommates, and got Johnny as a result. She is mostly a golden girl but she can throw hands if needed. Shes partially Swedish and the Takisa Benji she owns was her uncles.

4 Likes
:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

da prologue :tm:

Background:

Basedworks is a high-performance car tuning center founded in 1977 by Mr. Based because he was bored with the underpowered shitboxes of the time. They specialize in pretty much anything fast, covering anything from tuning packages, crazy one-off concepts, and even motorsports.

Mr. Based was well known for his over the top personality and especially, his strong love for horsepower over anything else. Today, Mr. Based II now runs the company, but thankfully he is just as rowdy as his father.

Following this strange email about an invite to this supposed transplanetary rally, new Basedworks expendable intern Pierce Holman has been called up because “he might be the right man for the job.” Fourtanetly, he won’t be going alone…

Basedworks Garage, Florida, Present Day

Pierce: So boss, why exactly did you bring me here today?

Mr. Based: WELL MY HANDSOME INTERN, I HAVE CALLED YOU HERE ON THIS FINE DAY ONLY FOR YOU TO GET TO EXPERIENCE THE MOST BADASS THING IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE!

Pierce: C-could it finally be… a rai-

Mr. Based: EVEN BETTER! I GOT THIS EMAIL AS AN INVITATION TO THIS BADASS SOUNDING EVENT CALLED A SHITBOX RALLY THAT’S ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLANET OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT, AND I HAVE SELECTED YOU TO GO ON THE JOURNEY BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE VERY FUCKING QUALIFIED TO DO IT.

Pierce: Oh, well that sounds pretty fun. Wait, did you say it’s on another planet? But I’m only an intern!

Mr. Based: RELAX MOTHERFUCKER, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. THAT IS BECAUSE-

The loud roar of an American V8 heard in the distance eventually gets closer, then stops at the garage.

Mr. Based: WELL HOLY FUCKING SHITBALLS! YOUR PARTNER HAS JUST ARRIVED AT OUR LOCATION AS I WAS ABOUT TO TALK ABOUT HIM. I THINK THAT THAT IS A VERY BADASS COINCIDENCE.

A middle aged Japanese man wearing a star spangled shirt and a cowboy hat steps out of the patriotic freedom carriage.

Pierce: HAHAHA! Out of anyone you could choose to come and suffer along with me, it had to be this old man? You’re hilarious!

Big Block: But son… I’m not the old man you think I am! I’m the legendary street racer Big Block Wakaba. Has everyone really forgotten about me already!?

Mr. Based: OF COURSE THEY FUCKING HAVE! THIS IS LITERALLY THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR A BIG-ASS RACE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 24 YEARS! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT? UHH I MEAN, IT’S A PLEASURE TO HAVE YOU HERE MR. WAKABA. I KNOW THAT WE BOTH SHARE A BIG LOVE FOR BIG V8S THAT PRODUCE LOTS OF HORSEPOWER, WHICH I FIND TO BE VERY BADASS.

Big Block: Is he normally this psychotic?

Pierce: Yep.

Mr. Based: ALRIGHT, NOW IF YOU BOYS WANT TO ACTUALLY SURVIVE WHATEVER THAT RALLY THING IS, I SUGGEST THAT WE GET SOME CARS THAT CAN ACTUALLY SURVIVE THE HELLHOLE WHERE ITS AT. LUCKILY, I HAVE JUST WHAT YOU NEED SITTING IN A WAREHOUSE, SO GET THE FUCK IN MY CAR AND I’LL TAKE YOU THERE.

Big Block: Wait… hellhole? What the fuck did I just get myself into? Ah, I’m sure it won’t be that bad.

15 minutes of going over the speed limit later

Pierce: These are just some piles of junk! How the hell are we supposed to survive this supposed alien planet in these things? The frames of them are rusting to death and they look like they might fall apart!

Mr. Based: THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT PILES OF JUNK YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER. THEY ARE BLANK CANVASES WITH POTENTIAL FOR EXTREME AMOUNTS OF BADASSERY.

Big Block: For once, I agree with him. I mean, how can you not go wrong with some American classics like these? That 1950 Mercer COE truck has loads of potential for customization, and that '66 Fort Lauderdale is nearly fucking invincible! And how can you not appreciate how badass it looks in that banger racer form?

Mr. Based: HELL YEAH BROTHER, THATS THE FUCKING SPIRIT! I HAVE FUCKED UP SO MANY PEOPLE IN DEMO DERBIES WITH IT, THAT I HAVE LOST COUNT A VERY LONG TIME AGO. ANYWAYS, I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT AD TO VOICE OVER SO, HAVE FUN BOYS!

Pierce: Wait! But how-

To be continued?
11 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS
PRE-PROLOGUE PART 2

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1

It never failed to be an impressive sight, Arne’s collection of different offroad vehicles. Here, everything could be found, from small motorcycles to enormous trucks. Most of them, of course, having a military background in one way or another, even if there also were some civilian ones there. Especially a certain row of civilian vehicles caught Janne’s eyes when our friends were stepping out of Marie’s Dodge Dart. Finding Arne wrenching under the hood of a Fargo Power Wagon, Janne asked him how things were going.

“Hrmpf….yeah, the head is above the shoulders and the ass is on the backside and everything else absolutely sucks too.”, he answered a bit grumpy. Janne just laughed, since Arne was just the same as he had always been. “The head gasket on this one said goodbye some days ago. Always something to do.”

“I see you have a lot of IP Ruggers here.”, Janne said.

“Yeah. But look inside them and you will see that they have one thing in common”, Arne laughed.

Janne took a closer look at the row of Ruggers.

“A hole in the floor where the lever should be. No transfer case.”, Janne said.

“Exactly”, Arne answered. “1980-86 generation. First one with 4 wheel drive. Only one with a divorced transfer case. I bought a bunch because I could sell those transfer cases like crazy some years ago. It seems like they could take ANY amount of abuse without grenading themselves.”

“Yeah”, Janne said. “They were sourced from the Brigadier after all. I have seen V8 swaps being done in Ruggers, with large mud tyres, everything else in the driveline is changed but the transfer case being stock. They simply can’t be beat if you compare sturdiness against cost”.

“At least couldn’t.”, Arne answered. “Getting a bit hard to find this generation Rugger nowadays”.

“Yeah”, Janne laughed. “They are all here, after all.”

“Two of them are diesels”, Arne said. “The old 4DS pushrod non-turbo unit. 2.5 litre. May always come in handy if you need a diesel 4 cylinder to power something. That one has the 4Z…”, he said, pointing at a vehicle that clearly had been T-boned. “…which is part of the reason why I bought it. Because it had the engine changed for the military spec 4Z. You know, the one that can run on horse piss more or less. From a generator, hardly has been working in its entire life, I just wonder if they were a bit disappointed with the fuel economy after swapping it in. That one…”, he said, pointing at a light green metallic one, with rust spots everywhere, moss growing on the canopy with a Pistoline sticker slapped on, and a chestnut brown hood, “…had a seized 4Z in it. Sold that engine for scrap metal. Don’t know why I kept the rest. And the remaining three you see are also 4Z cars, but all of them are only good for parts since they are rusted to oblivion”.

“At least no good trucks have been butchered in this case, but still a bit sad to see. 2WD ones are still rather plentiful, but finding a nice 4WD is getting hard.”, Janne said.

“Yeah”, Arne answered. “If I find one, I may…”

Everything was interrupted by a loud bang, Marie screaming and Andreas laughing so hard he almost couldn’t breathe.

“STOP LAUGHING, IT HURTS”, Marie said, bleeding heavily from her forehead.

“How the hell could you just manage to not see that big ass thing standing there?”, Andreas said, and laughed even more.

“OK…”, Janne asked them, “What exactly happened this time?”

“Oh, nothing…”, Andreas said, “it is just that SOMEONE we know happened to walk straight into a Scania SBAT, and…”

“I JUST DIDN’T SEE IT, OK?”, Marie answered furiously.

“I don’t know those two”, Janne grumbled.

After having fixed Marie’s wound with the classic “garage band aid” (electrical tape and wiping paper), our friends went to look at Arne’s new achievement.

“This is a Sanju MDM44 “Wolverine””, he said. “Ex radio communications vehicle, very early one, 1980 model. Must have been one of the first ones for export, I don’t really know where it has done its duty, it ended up in Denmark for some reason so I imported it from there. But it is at least not built for the Ariyan armed forces, being left hand drive, which is at least a good thing in Sweden. Maybe the desert colouring might be a clue…”

“Wow.”, Janne answered. “They have that weird V8 that is more or less two IP 4Z units, right?”

“Exactly. And everything is done so it should be almost impossible for it to break down. The heads are more or less a 4Z head and a mirrored one. Like the 4Z, it has dual spark plugs. So, it also has dual distributors in case of one of them failing. It has dual tanks, dual fuel pumps, dual carburetors. If something happens to one of the fuel systems, it will still run. Not good, but it will run. And as the non interference engine it is, a broken timing belt won’t ruin anything. I guess a more unkillable gasoline engine is hard to find. And like the military spec 4Z, it runs more or less on kerosene if you want to.”

“So…what did you pay?” Janne asked.

“Oh. A couple of Volvo C303s. I had too many of them anyway.”, Arne answered.

“Well…it is a bit more rare than a C303 anyway”, Janne said.

“Yeah, don’t know what to do with it yet…”, Arne said, “…but do I know that with any of my vehicles?”

So. Even if none of them knew anything yet…this is the point where the SR2023 crew was getting formed.

Hence, the obligatory team presentation of TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS in case someone missed them last year.

ANDREAS KERO

Interests: Drinking moonshine, motorsports

Personal vehicles: 1995 Vaughn Grand Mirage GTS, 1972 Primus Astrona folkrace car.

Personal motto: “Just floor it, you can always check what you managed to hit in the rear view mirror!”

The skilled driver of the bunch. At least according to himself. And that’s probably not a lie. Sometimes he actually has managed to complete a race at the folkrace track with his Primus Astrona without the whole car breaking apart.

JANNE MÄKITALO

Interests: Drinking moonshine, making inventions that is completely useless out of scrap he finds in his backyard.

Personal vehicles: 1967 Saarland Kardinal (half finished wood gas conversion project), 1969 IP Icarus diesel wagon, 1997 Boulder L150 Limited, and too many tractors, dirtbikes, mopeds, snowmobiles, lawnmowers and forklifts to even count.

Personal motto: “If it can’t be fixed with duct tape, it’s broken for real”.

The skilled mechanic of the bunch. He can repair anything you put in his hands. Just don’t be so sure about when you will get it back.

MARIE PESULA

Interests: Drinking moonshine, drinking beer, drinking cheap wine, drinking aftershave, drinking washer fluid, drinking lots of other suspect stuff, tattoos, obscure erotic roleplays.

Personal vehicles: 1962 Dodge Dart, 2002 Saarland Ambrosia Pilger V6

The one with the eye for aesthetics. She can make anything look better with a brush in her hand. At least until she tries to eat the paint. And don’t disagree on that point, she will get a little bit…violent, then.

GUEST STAR: ARNE LINDBERG

Interests: Uhm…everything that is olive drab and has knobby tyres? Probably drinking moonshine too.

Personal vehicles: More obscure military stuff than anyone can count to. Dailies a 2005 Volvo XC70 D5 that looks like it has been through two wars in itself and that probably says “Syntax Error” on the odometer by now.

Just a manic military vehicle collector , that is a good friend of Janne . After all, if you own obscure old stuff, you are. Not a permanent member of the crew, but will take part in SR 2023 and maybe more in the future too?

VEHICLE PRESENTATION
(A weak one? Yes but you will see more of them so don’t worry)

1980 SANJU MDM44 “Wolverine” - ex radio communications truck.
1983 IP RUGGER 4WD

Exactly how they will end up with using those vehicles, and more info about them, will come shortly…

Next part

9 Likes
Prologue

Team Information: Shitbox Rally 2023 - Stage 14 (FINISHED!) - #52 by TheYugo45GV

Time is of The Essence

March 18th, 2023, 6:45 am local time.

Heislingberg Family Villa

Karl sighed, and leaned back in his desk chair. He’d finally managed to convince the freighter pilots to deviate from their course, and pick up four extra passengers and a car. Of course, they were not happy about it, but Karl promised them he’d pay well, and also promised the captain who had smuggling charges laid against him, acquitted.

He glanced at the clock, it was close to 7:00 AM now, and he’d heard some stirring from downstairs. That was the benefit of living so isolated from everyone, no one would disturb him. Regardless of what was going on outside of his room downstairs, Karl sat there, simply contemplating the sheer amount of planning work he had done.

His journal beckoned him to open it. To write something, to note down this experience. But, the last thing he wrote about was when his grandfather had passed away. It was something he wanted to bury, to forget about. Karl had been very close to him, bonding over archeological bedtime stories in his childhood and actually learning about archeology during his adolescent years. A sad sigh came from the caracal. Life didn’t last forever. Everyone, sooner or later would clock out.

Anyway, enough of the existential crisis. With the rally just a couple weeks away, time was of the essence. He really needed to start packing, and he hadn’t even chosen a car yet which was not good, especially since the freighter was departing tomorrow at 10:00. Desperately, Karl scanned his desk and looked about his room. A wood box sat on the shelf above.

Hang on a second.

Making sure to not fall off the chair, Karl carefully removed it from its spot, and set it on the desk. A name had been engraved into the lid, but it received no attention. Thoughts that it created were overwhelming. Beyond the lid, were several keepsakes, among them a set of car keys. They were silver, specifically nickel silver, the head stamped with a capital letter M with a strikethrough, while the keychain bore the word Ambassador.

Removing the keys, Karl placed them gently on his desk, before he replaced the lid and returned the box to its spot on the shelf. In that moment, something was visible in the reflection of the glass on a picture of him and his two brothers. It resembled a gift from his grandfather. He turned around to see what it was. There, above the bed, was a custom made Savannah Rifle Works Mark VI big game hunting rifle also known as the CZ-550, particularly the Safari Magnum variant. The Mark VI was a shameless clone of the CZ-550, the rifles had almost no discernible difference, except the fact that one of them had frame with hand carved engravings made from Bocote wood, and its barrel and other metal components, with the exception of the firing mechanism, milled from platinum. This one also had a picatinny rail for some reason.

Unconsciously, Karl reached for the rifle on the rack above his bed and removed it, testing its weight in his hands. The weight reminded him of something.

That’s right!

In the locking drawer of his desk, which was unlocked, was his Automag Raven and in the closet, was an Atchisson AA-12 shotgun, a closed-bolt semi auto variant with an extended barrel that was, but a shotgun nonetheless.

Well, that was the weapon loadout and car sorted. Now all that was left was to decide what to bring. Clothing, both for hot and cold environments, food, preferably MREs in case he couldn’t come by food.

He glanced at Ramius, who had been sleeping under the desk, and was now awake and bore what was probably a look of concern on his face.

March 29th 2023, 5:46 PM. Alkonov International Airport, South of Kiovograd, Velkaristan.

The freighter was officially a week late, but was finally in geostationary orbit above Deicarro, the planet that was home to Velkaristan. Earlier that morning, the crew aboard the freighter had contacted the government and requested clearance to send down a boarding shuttle. Alkonov International Airport, the single largest airport in the nation, had spent the day sectioning off an aircraft parking area as a landing pad for the shuttle, near Terminal One.

A mighty roar of jet engines came from overhead as a Royal Velkari Airlines Boeing 747 lifted off into the evening sky. Nearby, some distance away from the airport perimeter fence, directly next to the terminal, lay the Terminal One overflow parking, dotted with a few cars and trucks. Underneath the rumble of the receding jet exhaust, a silver Audi RS7 and the red IVERA pulled into the lot, parking one ahead of the other.

However, a familiar sight in the form of Karl von Heislingberg leaning against what could only be a 1971 Ambassador, awaited their arrival. The occupants of the car ahead of them, had already gotten out and begun introducing themselves, while Landon remained in the Audi seated next to his brother.

“Y’know Landon, I’m starting to think you should get out while you still can.” Andrew mused.

Landon gave a shrug. “Like hell I will.” he replied, mid chuckle. “The military is in my blood, I can feel it. Plus, I’ve still got a good 10 years before I can consider retirement.”

“It’s alright, I also have a few years left before I go and turn in my 30 day notice.”
Sighing, Landon rolled his eyes and got out of the car, leaving the door open. “Hey, let’s focus on the present. Life’s all about the journey, not the destination.”

Andrew looked out at the parking lot again. “That much is true.”

“You mind popping the trunk?”

“Oh, yeah sure.”

The tailgate slowly lifted open, revealing two suitcases one of them larger than the other, a backpack, a nondescript military weapon crate and a large green duffel bag. One suitcase was packed full of winter clothes and other gear, the larger second one contained clothing and other items that were important.

Landon proceeded to unload the luggage, extending the handle and affixing the backpack to one of them.

But when he shifted his attention to the olive drab coloured bag, opening one, he paused.

A sharp breath, then a glance at the group gathered next to the IVERA.

Inside the bag were guns, lots of them. Spare magazines too. There were three G36 variant rifles, one of them a heavy duty MG36, two Benelli M4 shotguns, four UZIs, two full size ones, and two of the micro variant. The extra ammo, on the other hand, was in the IVERA. Two large military grade storage bins, both of them full to the top, among other things. Plus, the nondescript weapon crate contained an experimental device, something that was technically a weapon, but was not designed to inflict harm. On living beings at least.

The General looked over the weapons again, then zipped up the bag, taking it out of the car before also removing the crate and setting the bag on top of it.

Almost immediately Karl spotted him, waved and approached, while Andrew parked up the Audi, properly

“What’s the deal with the service uniform?” He asked.

Landon shrugged. “I’m wearing it because of where we are going.”

“Showing off again, are you?”

A chuckle came from Sabourne. "I guess you could interpret it that way.” Then he turned to the three extra teammates. “Aryton, Amell. We’ll be wheels up in two and a half hours. In the meantime, I suggest you go and get something to eat.”

“Is there gonna be food on the ship?” Amell asked.

Karl shook his head. “Nothing except the freighter crew’s food rations. That we cannot touch.”

A nod from Aryton. “Okay then. We’ll meet you at the shuttle.”

The interlopers left toward the terminal, in search of a place to sit down and eat.

“So, Karl. Tell me, have you got room in that car of yours?” Sabourne asked, resuming the conversation.

“Oh, I’ve got miles of it, both in the cabin and trunk.” Karl replied a little proudly. “I guess the massive pile of luggage over there is why you ask.”

A nod. “Yeah that’s right. Though not all of it. One of those cases is full of winter clothes, jackets and coats and stuff. I’ll put that one in the IVERA.”

Karl scanned the luggage sitting next to the RS7. “I suppose the bigger one is where you’ve got all your regular clothes, then?” He said, pointing out the suitcase in question.

“Yes. I also brought guns…, lots of guns.” Sabourne remarked, as though he were quoting a movie. “And, I need you to help me load my things into your car.”

“I’m happy to help. Though I wanna ask, what made you take two cars.?”

Flashback to 9AM that morning.

“Okay then. Let’s go over the checklist one more time.” Sabourne began, looking at the clipboard again. “Tools?”

Amell nodded. “Check.”

“Weapons and Ammo?

“Locked and loaded, general.” Denali Replied.

“Cold weather gear? Coats and the like.”

Aryton poked his head out from the open door on the camper shell. “All here, sir.”

“MREs in case we aren’t able to come by food?”

Denali, who was helping Aryton with a suitcase, nodded. “Yeah, I triple checked before I even brought it out.”

“Alright then. We’ve got everything we need then right? Everything we should collectively know about?”

Everyone murmured in agreement.

Satisfied, Landon went over the list one last time. “Okay. To recap, we’ve got extra clothes and footwear, cold weather gear, sleeping bags, emergency food supply, extra jerry cans should we need them, 12 volt space heaters to keep warm in the cold, tire jack, tire irons, torque wrenches and other tools so we can fix our cars should they go wrong.” He paused to take a breath. “Also the weapons; two G36 assault rifles, an MG36 light machine gun, two shotguns, four UZIs, Micro and full size. Personal sidearms, two crates of ammunition and the… uh… What is it? Oh yes, the Directional EMP and other stuff anyone might care about.”

“I think that’s pretty much everything.” Aryton agreed.

“Good. Alright, we can finish packing up here and take five. We’ll be taking off this afternoon, at least that’s when the shuttle arrives at the airport.”

End of Flashback

“It doesn’t sound like you’ll be taking the RS7.” Karl quipped, smugly. The expression then faded quickly. “In all seriousness, I think we already established that you are with me in the Mayland.”

“Yeah.” Landon acknowledged, now dragging his two suitcases with him to the Mayland, before stopping short after seeing the trunk was a total mess. “Uhm… Karl? How am I supposed to fit my things in here?”

“Simple, you don’t.”

The general simply rolled his eyes.

“No, there is actually enough room here. If I just shift my two long guns over–.” Shuffling sounds came from the movement. “…There we go.”

Within minutes, Landon and Karl had loaded and unloaded the Ambassador’s trunk, but despite any efforts, they could not get the weapon box with the EMP gun to fit.

“Honestly, I’m tempted to just leave it here.”

“Hey, there’s a reason why I told you to bring it. We could be in real trouble if we don’t. Some people like to use drones to hunt for treasure.”

A groan came from the General. “Alright then. You’ve convinced me, for now.”

After more wrestling, the large box finally fit in the trunk amongst all the long guns at the cost of most of the luggage being moved up into the cabin, but it wasn’t that bad considering that the Ambassador had miles of rear legroom.

“Y’know, I was worried my stuff wouldn’t be able to fit in the back seat, but there’s a fuckton of space back there. I’ve never seen so much legroom in my life.”

Karl Chuckled. “Huh. Well, this setup should only require us to move the guns and put them in the front seat for when we have to sleep. If we have to, we could move the EMP gun as well.”

A shrug came in reply. “It’s good enough.”

Right then, a silver, six limbed wolf leapt from the rear driver passenger side window.

Karl moved to see the new arrival. “Oh, good. Ramius is here. I’m going to let him in the back so he can rest from his dimension jump.”

“So he can get exhausted from dimension jumping too much?” Landon queried.

“Yeah, of course. Especially long distance ones between planets.” Answered Karl, nodding. “Anyway, I guess we are fully packed up then and the boarding shuttle leaves in the next hour or so.”

The General then started over to the Audi RS7. “I agree. I’ll just say goodbye to Andrew really quickly and then we can head over and board, once the others return that is.”

Eventually, the hour had passed, and everyone had rendezvoused back at the two cars. Before they set off however, they went over the plan once again, which didn’t take long since everyone practically memorized it. After passing through the security gate onto the tarmac, an airport operations vehicle escorted their two car convoy to the boarding shuttle. The shuttle fit both cars, though it was a squeeze, and in time, the cars were fastened down and the shuttle was off.

The freighter that orbited was a large ship, big enough to have a hangar bay to accommodate the boarding craft, but only the boarding craft. After everything had been tied down, the hangar doors were shut and sealed and then the bay itself was pressurized. Following some maneuvering to not scorch any satellites, or disrupt the atmosphere. The freighter fired up its massive thrusters and in the blink of an eye, vanished into space as the warp drive engaged, with Earth as the final destination, leaving nothing behind but a trail of blue, rapidly dissipating energy.

To Be Continued

6 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 0.0: It begins with some parts…

-We are in this journey for few months now, visited fair few countries of Europe in this car.
But still…i feel kinda betrayed by fact we werent able to participate in that Shitbox Rally thing last year.
I really wonder what they were up to.

-I know, getting ill sucks…but there will be another time.

-Which we will promptly miss, as we have no way of knowing when it will happen and where it will happen.

-True. On other hand, life finds way…

-Shame that cant be said about your luck with some female cat…and you aint getting younger
-Maybe isnt meant to be…

-We did it, this was quite the effort
-No it was not, selling such shitty cars shouldnt be easy but downright impossible.
And yet, here we are, witnessing that shittyness in every way you can imagine

-What do we want to do with truck?
-What truck…oh, wait, i remember we stored a truck in which we started this farse fair few decades ago.

-Yup, that very truck. Good thing we were careful to relieve that room of all moisture we could muster, otherwise we would be looking at rust bucket.
Rather big one, but nonetheless rust bucket.
-I remember tackling Aetherii in it as part of team in Shitbox Rally 2022.
11/10 would do it again.
-I have feeling not all would agree.
-Fair enough, wrong opinion is still valid opinion
While we are at it, what we shall do now?
-Lets recover the truck and go…doesnt matter where, i just want to leave this shitty management job and manufacture of automotive incompetence behind.
Maybe we should get in touch with rest of group, see if they have some good idea.
-Same, lets do it.

EYYYYYYYY SEXY LADY
OP OP OP OP OP
OPA GANGNAM STYLE
-Argh, again some stupid call…
Mr. Hammeltau from Kolondra Stockholm Service Center, how can i help you?
-By coming here and having proper lunch with your old granma and granpa…
-How you obtained this number?
-Your granpa used to manage Letaran operations. You really think he havent gathered some contacts along the way?
-Or threatened someone with a gun. Somehow i think thats more his style.
Either way, im stuck here regardless, as we are quite busy…
-Ah understandable, have a great day.

-SOOOOOOOOON
-DAAAAAAAAD
-SHUT THE FUCK UP BOTH OF YOU
IM TRYING TO SLEEP HERE
-I dont understand why is he so cranky.
-Same. So you called me across the building for…what exactly?
-I had an idea of giving you paid vacation as im technically your boss here.
I see how it hit you that retirement in 24h Clunkers and…i have an idea.
How about you contact those weirdoes with whom you did said event and ask if they plan to join Shitbox Rally 2023

-You sure that old grumpy aint going to complain?
-Seeing that half of time he sleeps on job bcos he is tired and half the time bcos he is on rather strong medicine, he isnt against it.
-WHOEVER PUT POOP IN MY PANTS SHALL BE FIRED
-I rest my case.
-He should go into retirement by now.
But thanks, i will certainly look into participation in this event.
-As im informed, your maternal grandparens made lunch so we will head there after work.
-Fine

-Such a weak-ass fighter. Quite respectable one to be honest, but to decide to melt oneself in molten steel?
Thats recipe for bad batch of steel and undeserving end to battle machine
-And yet you are rewatching that movie for 10th time.
-Bcos it has capable fighters in it and like us, they are robots.
-Well…you are cyborg, not fully a robot.
-My human part is hardly of importance here. Im literally duplicate of VerBanka without said nanomachines, but thats for weaklings and is therefore lame.
-Either way, we are thin on bad guys recently
-True. Would be nice to change scenery a bit…even if without lot of fighting.
-Now you are really getting desperate…

4 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS
PART 0.1 - PROLOGUE

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1
Pre-prologue part 2

11th of March 2023

The 1969 IP Icarus diesel station wagon arrived outside Andreas place. Of course, driven by nobody else but Janne. And by his looks, there was no doubt that he was excited. He jumped out of the drivers seat, closing the door a bit too hard, sending a loud rattle through the surroundings, almost unable to breathe.

We’re in a hurry now!”, he told Andreas and Marie.

“Hurry? What kind of hurry? Can you ever speak a language that I understand?”, Andreas answered.

“You know how I almost never check my e-mail since it is always spam and shit anyway?”, Janne continued.

“Yes. To be honest I don’t even know why you bother having that e-mail since using a dove would be both safer and quicker”, Andreas sighed.

“Well, I did today and…I found an e-mail from months ago. There WILL be a Shitbox rally for 2023 after all!”, he said, full of excitement.

“Yeah, and when will that take place?”, Andreas asked him.

“In three weeks”, Janne replied.

“THREE FUCKING WEEKS?”, Andreas yelled.

“Yes.”

“How the fuck…I mean…HOW WILL WE EVEN GET A CAR READY UNTIL THAT?”, Andreas asked, a bit upset. “I mean, this peace of shit…”, he said, kicking the yellowed whitewall tyre and the rusty steel wheel with the sole missing hubcap on Janne’s Icarus, “…is too old. We can’t use either your Boulder or my Grand Mirage, since both are too expensive. And if we start cleaning out all the trash from Marie’s Saarland by now, we will be ready by August, I guess.”

“There is a solution”, Janne answered.

“And that is…?”, Andreas asked him.

“We can always call Arne.”

“ARNE? What makes you think that he will be taking part in this?”, Andreas asked.

“Have Arne ever said no to doing something weird?”, Janne asked in return.

“Oh, well…sure. But what was your thoughts of a vehicle then?”

“Did you see all of the IP Ruggers he had? We can build one vehicle out of all of them. I saw the good bits, and…”

“AN IP RUGGER? We can’t sit four people in an IP Rugger for a whole Shitbox Rally, you fumbduck!”

“Here’s the good part”, Janne said. “The rules state that we can have a support vehicle this year. If Arne and Marie takes the Sanju, I can build some primitive camper inside it, and then we can still stuff both that and the Rugger full of useable parts…”

“Yeah and you know what? I am going to sit inside the camper for the whole rally doing absolutely nothing but drinking beer, and there is nothing you can do to stop me!”, Marie said.

“Well, I am calling Arne then…”, Janne said.

Next part

4 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 0.1: …that end as whole

Swedish lunch

-So, granpa, how are you doing nowadays?
-One day im fucking, another one im being fucked. Latter seems to be the case more and more frequently.
But i cant really complain, as im still very sharp shooter for my age.
-Ah yes, you never left your family business with guns.
-Indeed. This was what kept me afloat in hardest times of my life.
How are you doing? I heard business is going well.
-Indeed, but its tad bit quiet nowadays. Im thinking of getting on vacation for that reason.
I participated in last 24h Clunkers and…our car was first to retire.
-He…havent really took that well. So i had an idea, since we are in touch with rest of group that was there for the event.
There is certain event called Shitbox Rally and this will be second year its organised.
Some of his colleagues from 24h have info on that and it sounds fun.
-They said im more than welcome to join the team if i want to, which is the case.
Its kinda foreign land so to speak…it starts on Earth but other than that, its out of this world.
-Kinda like Letara?
-I guess so, yes.
Will be willing to drive if needed but i guess i would mostly enjoy the show.
-Is it dangerous?
-Uhm…not sure how to answer that.
You see, they had some issues previous year where they had encountered pack of Dyre so that was rather rough night.
Dyre were, as im informed, some kind of 3m tall werewolfs…needless to say they were rather tough opponents.
-They can be taken down with guns?
-Well, depends on what gun and who would use said gun.
I would imagine you would need relatively big pistol or rifle to take them down.
Also being able to face such beasts
-I was hunted by other humans bcos they wanted our weapon business to die.
Trust me, we humans are likely biggest and scariest beasts world has ever seen.
-You are badass for sure and im aware it wasnt by choice…
-Oh you bet! I needed 15 years to finally deal with them all
15. Fucking. Years.
-…but i lack the courage to handle such opponents.
Besides other few members are guaranteed to be able and willing to fight those off if needed.
-Your problem isnt courage, but the lack of gun.
With good gun, you too can go toe to toe with fair bit of opponents.
-Prob true, but shooting range and actual combat arent same thing. Also you really overestimate my gun mastery, having fair few decades of practice yourself.
-That being said son, it would be good idea to have options for yourself. True, you arent practiced shooter, but having gun avaiable in case of need beats no way of defending yourself.
Besides, your granpa might decide to give you…tad bit too much ammo and guns for one person.
-I know but teams were together in fighting Dyre.
Ones that were able to keep them away did so, keeping insufficient fighters away from battlefield and allowing them to escape.
In case im in charge of some weaponry, im more likely to give it to more experienced shooters than to use it myself.
-So be it. I will make sure you do have some weaponry and ammo anyway. Prob least i can do to protect my grandson.
-Thanks…i guess…although i have feeling you might overdo it.
-Lunch was very nice and we are prepared to go home and eventually prepare for journey.

Granpas phone announced itself
ASS
TITTIES
ASS AND TITTIES
ASS ASS TITTIES TITTIES
ASS AND TITTIES

(And yes before you ask that is legitimately start of song.
Artist is DJ Assault, song Ass N Titties
I do not reccomend it as ringtone for obvious reasons)

-Hello?
-Hello, granpa. Half an hour, shooting range.
You forgot?
-I havent but my grandson is here and i decided to have lunch and talk little bit with him and my son-in-law.
-Oh, ok then.
-But you can bet im going to haul myself there as soon as possible.
-Ok, say hi to your wife, she made wonderful cake the other day.
-Will do. Goodbye.

(Explaining to other ppl in room)

Some good friend of mine and his son made arrangement with me on shooting range.
This was son in particular, as father is likely driving.
Boy reminds me of good old days when i was young. He isnt having rougher part of deal i had, though.
Also he complimented your cake.
-Seems both of us have some important business at hand, then.
-I guess so

(Mat had confirmed his participation to others and had made preparation accordingly.)

Oldies and quay

-You found home…somehow.
-Shut up, this was long drive. And this isnt really our home anyway.
-It did provided some free parking spaces for parking the car or several of those, in our case at least.
-Where tf are we anyway?
-This town is called Novi Sad and that building is Faculty of Technical Sciences
(If its refered in rest of text it will be refered as FTN).

(In case you want to follow route as is noted in rest of text, you will be glad to hear that there is going to be car parking on only one side of building
Same character continues talking)

This is can be seen as relevant building for us since Mrdja is student of that faculty.
I will repark your car as im not happy on how you parked it.
You have the goal to go around building i named earlier and some other members of group would be there.
I hope you wouldnt mind for going on bit of a walk alongside Danube, as we as group are going to do that.
-Ok?
Siviko, lets go and meet others, let Chicota handle the parking.
-Ok.

(They are going to other side of building that is opposite to parking.
Rest of group had awaited them there, between FTN and Faculty of Law.)

-Oh hello you two. How did you enjoy the journey?
-Not very pleased with traffic. This seems rather nice i guess.
-It will get better, as we plan on embarking on tad bit of a walk.
First we will provide some snacks and drinks to use during that.
We received very interesting email and thought you may be interested in its contents and that will be main theme of what we will be talking about while walking alongside Danube.
-Im here as well.
-How about first getting some drinks etc. ?
We could go to nearby “Mikromarket”; there is one in Stražilovska street.
Its a small shop tho as its name would indicate so maybe few normal looking of us can go and fetch the stuff.
You rest wait here.

(After shop in question got lighter by fair few bottles of water, cola and beer and chosen members of group lighter in wallets as return, they had returned to rest with goods.

Their next destination is Danube quay. Getting to said quay is straight-forward and means walking further away from FTN in same direction in which some got from parking to group’s current position.
This means passing building of University of Novi Sad - faculties are part of university and all of plot so far in post has happened on university campus.
After some time, they do reach quay.

Quay is 5km or around 3.2 miles from end to end.
If im not mistaken, they will enter the quay at 2.3 km mark from (to them) closer end of it.
This is almost 1.5 mile of distance, short of that particular mark by about 100 yards.)

-We got here.
-Do we want to go left or right now?
-We will go to right first, as thats direction of nearer end of quay.
-Ok.

(Some walking in silence had followed)

-So, whats reasoning for our meeting here?
-We received email from Shift Happens. They are organising another Shitbox Rally.
-Hmm…where we start and when we need to be there?
-Our start is in Nevada, US and event is supposed to start on 30th March.
Ok, they did said 1st April, but 30th is supposed to allow some early fellas to just chill out.
-If they intend to pull some joke on us i will prob be angry.

(Ofc everyone was aware they would not pull joke in this manner, but choice of date is indeed interesting one)

-I guess we would have some company there.
-You would…i already registered 7 of us and both of cars we will be using during the event.
Seeing that i contacted Mrdja and he confirmed that previous year had 17 teams, we will be getting some solid amount of new friends this time as well.

-Who will be members of team and what cars will we use? -Well...

(Considering Mrdja aka me would like this in same fashion as for previous run…explanations here will be done from my point of view)

Characters, all 7 of them
  1. Pi Chitco
    She is designated leader of group this time around.
    Reasoning behind it is fact she is only member of previous team to appear this year.
    Aside from that and obvious fact she is now physically 24 (and technically much older than that), i feel there isnt much to add compared to her original appearance, which was detailed here:
    2022 Shitbox Rally - Out of This World! (Results Out!) - #30 by MrdjaNikolen
    Her height, length and mass are same as previous year

2. Loodjoe Mravolinski
    One of characters that was supposed to go in original run, but had gotten ill and so was unable to participate.
    He was also briefly described in same post that is linked above, as both he and Siviko had appeared in prologue.
    Unlike in case of previous year, he now knows how to drive.
    He has certain wish related to Siviko.
    Speaking of whom…

3. Siviko Mravolinski
    Everything mentioned about his adoptive father Loodjoe applies here as well: isnt confident driver but knows how to drive and was described in post of previous year.
    He is here to see new sights and meet new faces.
    Loodjoe would like if Siviko will make him granpa of some kittens…for which he would need to find some kitty with whom he can found a family.

Picture below presents mass and height (if they stand on rear legs) for both 2) and 3)

Characters described below this would be either present from some other challenge (namely one was presented in TMCC21 and fully featured during 24h Clunker run of 2022) or would be somewhat related to members of previous year
(Said members of previous year would be Chicota and VerBanka)

1. Mat Hammeltau
    Roles: Driver, man with a gun
    Little kid that had too much fun with crayons in TMCC21 had grown up to 27 or 28y old guy, working in Kolondra Selling and Service Center Stockholm
    He was our source of 24h Clunkers 2022 happening in first place and one of members of team featured in that event.
    His maternal granpa Yovan had took over Letara operations and restarted family business of weapon production: as result expect Mat will bring some firepower into event, as per insistence of granpa.

2. Amanda Mravolinski
    Roles: Yes (i dont think there will be something she cant do)

Some more about character

Amanda is creation and duplicate of VerBanka from previous event…with a twist.

VerBanka used to be quite popular target of bad guys and had idea of making duplicate of hers that would serve as bait so they will try to kidnap her instead of VerBanka.
As this would likely be considered exclusively cruel for i guess clear reasons, she also wanted to make sure this new creation can deal with whatever baddies can throw at her and fight back if needed.

Amanda was created by mixing some small sample of VerBanka’s blood and nanomachines from Chicota Junior with assumption that nanomachines will make her as desired, having physical looks of VerBanka and physical capabilities of that Chicota.
This had proven to be kinda success as she exhibits both traits, but decided that she would prefer fighting off bad guys instead of running away

Weak and incapable fighters shall be ignored, strong and capable fighters respected and ones that doubt her fighting prowess or strength better be ready to fight, as she will find herself insulted at such claims.

1. Andrea VerBanka
    Also duplicate of VerBanka and as such of same physical age as Amanda: technically can be considered much older
    We will note that this girl exists, but will not delve deeper into how she came to be as that is complicated story
    She had started as being very optimistic individual with lot of untapped potential
    May lack Amanda’s nanomachines, but would be much stronger and tougher than regular girls of her size (like VerBanka) and can easily overpower bigger individuals (like myself).
    Has potential of being most powerful female member of group, courtesy of being put in same position as player in game “Idling to rule the gods”. Its yet to be decided if she would exhibit some capability derived from that at all, but its fair to say that she isnt aware that it might work here
    Her clothing is white and thankfully she isnt as pale as she used to be
    Best friend is definitely Pi and they are bound to mostly spend time together: Pi may be aware and willing to protect Andrea from harm’s way but she isnt fully aware this dance works other way around too.

Physical descriptions that applied to VerBanka in SR22 apply in both cases stated above as well

1. Chicota Junior Mravolinski
    Role: Yes
    Robot that exists for atleast 8-9y that has went through equivalent phases of child to reach current young-adult-like physique.
    He is son and younger namesake of Chicota from previous runand is also much stronger, tougher and with more knowledge and skills.
    Just like his father, he is technically fighting robot and he enjoys fighting but also drinking alcoholic beverages.
    Nanomachines that had role in creating Amanda are outsourced from this guy
Cars, as there are two of them
  1. 1995 Kontir Cunningham 1.9
    This technically 28y old car is physically much older than that
    It was featured in previous SR and for purposes of this explanation will be assumed to be same-ish enough.
    2022 Shitbox Rally - Out of This World! (Results Out!) - #30 by MrdjaNikolen

2. 1977 Saguaro T-REE 2000 Wagon
    This is also car team already had and it was featured as such in 24h Clunkers 2022.
    It was at some point retired from race and turned back into road-legal car.
    It was also featured in TMCC21
    Bcos its so awesome, we will post two links from same thread
    If you arent fine with this, i suggest you buy and consume some copium
    There is reason for this
    TMCC 21 - The average family (RESULTS!) - #31 by MrdjaNikolen
    TMCC 21 - The average family (RESULTS!) - #52 by Knugcab

Oh another thing i may want to note in this space:

Im in same boat as Madrias was during one of VicVictory’s challenges: going into it armed only with smartphone as my PC is fucked atm
That being said…
Thanks for @Madrias and @Knugcab for changing bare essentials on Kontir and Saguaro respectively so these cars would be legal for event in terms of naming scheme and making sure engines arent fucked to extent they cant reach 55mph or 90 kmph necessary for entry.
Knug also needed to switch fuel to Low Quality on Saguaro since that car was originally tuned for higher octane as per previous challenges in which it was featured.

There are obligatory side markers applied by Madrias on both cars for legality reasons. Other than that, their appearance is same as it was in previous challenges

Final union

-This is a long drive.
-Agreed, but getting from Sweden to Serbia was much, much longer.
-I hope your boss was fine with you taking a leave from work.
-Surprizingly, he was in somewhat normal state of mind when i asked him about it.
When i explained the reasoning, well…there was possibility of having three people in here
He was interested in going.
-Oh my, that would be…interesting.
-Prepare for bumpiness now, as we are leaving main road.

(Bumpiness was of short duration tho.)

-This is a house. Its whole. Not in ruins.
We are going to prepare here?
-Yes. House belongs to Mrdja’s maternal grandparents and they had raised their children here.
It was in ruins as far as i know, but they returned here unlike many others.

(Certain other member of group heard discussion and approached)

-That is correct, i see you remembered email well.
-Thanks Chicota i tried as best as i can.
Before i get back to Sweden, can i spend the night here too?
-Has enough beds for 11 regular people.
Not all of us belong in that group, being robot and cyborg, so yes.
-Ok.

-Granma, we can help in preparing some food and few members of group arent picky in that regard to begin with.
-That would be nice of you. There is lot of you in here tho. Can you explain to me your plans again?
-No problem. We plan on going to America for some time and will likely do so on a boat. There is some race starting there and its fun, so we want to participate.
-Going to be any prizes?
-Nah, but that isnt really point of this event.
New places, people and experiences are.
That being said, we have couple of people from Sweden in team, so i guess it would be only appropriate to show them some local cuisine.
-While you are at it, they may as well try playing bocce
We have legitimate court in village: exit on street, go left, then again left on intersection and soon it shall be on your right.
Its made on concrete walls and has sand inside.
Some other locals could show you around rules of game.
-Could be fun experience, so will keep it in mind.
Is there some shop nearby?
I guess it is, but would prefer asking.
We really need to stock up on stuff.
-Yes, there are few supermarkets in Benkovac
That being said, i would like to stock up on supplies myself.

(Compared to where they currently are, this is closest town.
And yes, they are in Dalmatian part of Croatia: my mom belongs to one of Serbian families that needed to leave the area due to already known events of 90s.
Village is now mostly filled with younger ppl only during summer season and inhabited by few returning older people on permanent basis.

“Granma” in this part of story is mom of my mom.
She afaik never had driving licence, doesnt own a car and village in question doesnt have active shop.
So she mostly relies on others to get more than mere essentials.)

-Ok. We will inform you when we go.
Considering we will likely go to both “Tommy” and “Plodine” in two groups, you should say with which group you would prefer to travel.
Alternatively, you can write down a list of what needs to be bought and be avaiable in case further clarification is needed.
-Will do. Anything else?
-I guess we might be chaotic bunch so we will ask for tolerance there.
Will try to not leave absolute mess behind us.

-We are on transatlantic boat…somehow.
-How tf we obtained so much duct tape? And how is it all Swedish?
-One of other teams is from Sweden. They were very generous in that regard.
Might see them this time around…and eventually discover what kinda mess are they bringing this time.
-They won, but pink was hideous choice for that van.
-Ye, certainly mess in that regard.

-Do any of you guys know how to use guns?
-Why asking?
-My maternal granpa decided to contribute to cause in best way he can…so thats story of six identical guns and lot of ammo for them.
And thats having one confirmed user of it all, guy who knows how to shoot but will rather not rely on that skill.
-In case stuff goes to that extent, someone else from other teams can borrow weapons and contribute to the cause.
-I could try to shoot.
-Ofc Pi, ofc you could…we arent exactly eager to rely on your shooting skills despite bravery
-Or lack of common sense
-Amanda, why you need to be so harsh?
-Someone has to be. Im best choice in that matter.

-What are we going to do when we get on land of freedom and bald eagles?
-We shall see when we get to it.
Also may need to consider getting CB radios for both cars so we can communicate with each other and other teams.
-We need lot more stuff to do before heading to other side of continent.
-True…

3 Likes

ATTENTION ALL SHITHEADS
Make sure to bring all the good stuff you can, be it drinks, kush, or whatever else. The first day of camp is gonna be one you’ll never forget (but the characters likely will)

Prologue

Team Information: Shitbox Rally 2023 - Entries Open! - #52 by TheYugo45GV

Please Remain Seated

Despite the freighter’s velocity, the only sound was the deep, low frequency rumble of its engines. As per the procedures for passenger transport, everyone had to remain strapped in and seated because of zero gravity and the fact they were rocketing along at faster than lightspeed. Earth lay 17 hours away via faster than light travel, about a lightyear and a half away from Deicarro. As of right now, the journey was about halfway complete, with about 8 and a half hours remaining.

Landon sat in the passenger seat of the Ambassador, on his tablet, rereading the email for the event. Meanwhile, Karl was to his left, the seat reclined all the way, asleep. Every so often, he produced an annoying, audible, snore of varying length. Just now it had been the sixth time in 10 minutes, and a total of 56 for the past few hours. And–.

The thought was interrupted by another snore. A sigh of exasperation came from the uniformed fox.

“Fucking hell. Do you have to snore that loudly?” Landon asked, a bit too sharply.

“Shut your sound and let me sleep. Wake me up when we arrive.” Replied Karl, groggily as he turned on his side towards the driver window of the car.

A roll of his eyes was the only response Landon gave, it didn’t matter whether Karl noticed or not. Without much further annoyance, he eventually drifted off to sleep, and stayed that way for the rest of the journey.

Eventually, the low rumble faded and the ship decelerated as it dropped out from its warp jump, far enough away not to damage the Earth’s atmosphere and not collide with satellites, but not so far away that it would take months or weeks to land on the planet.

From a loudspeaker overhead, came the voice of one of the freighter pilots. “We have arrived. I hope this journey was worth it Mr. Heislingberg.”

To Be Continued.

2 Likes

Previous Part

Team M.A.D.

Part Zero Point One

Arrival

Dust. Sand. Rock. Sky.

Not the worst B roll footage. M.A.D have made a choice. Well, more accurately, Max and Renee made a choice. They would arrive directly at the earliest chance. Left Vegas as early would get them to the start by 1259. Teams were not really meant to be there until 1300. Renee wanted to see the teams show up. Makes for good footage. Hordes of various quality machinery descending over the Mojave.

Max looked at his watch. They happened to be a few minutes ahead of schedule, as the UtilXL ahead pulled off to the side of the road. Vic and Max followed suit in the Citrine. Renee hopped out the truck as quick as she could, ran back to the Citrine, and popped open the rear door.
“There’s something coming from the site. Urijah reckons we should record whatever it is as it passes us.” She spurted towards the occupants, pulling one of the primary cameras from the SUV. What passed them was a military convoy. Could they even include that in the film? That’s a question for later.

That stop – that footage – is what ended up making them arrive later than expected. 1307.

The base camp was obvious. An easy spot, such a distinct feature within the plain landscape. Urijah pulled off to the side of the road to allow the Citrine to take the lead. The Hosts, obviously the first ones there. Victoria turned the Blue machine into the camp, the fire truck following behind. Max wound his window down and asked where the hell they should park.

The team prioritised setting themselves up for recording. Camera 1 on the top of the UtilXl on a 360° mount, Renee on that one. Camera 2 would be carried around by Maxim, on a shoulder mount. With this sorted, organised, they decided to head over to the hosts, make introductions, maybe get some interviews.

2 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS

PART 0.15 - PROLOGUE(INTERLUDE)

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1
Pre-prologue part 2
Prologue part 0.1

11th of March 2023

Janne: (calling arne)

Arne: “Arne’s 4x4 and offroader service”
Janne: “Hey! It’s Janne Mäkitalo. Are you up for something fun?”
Arne: “Well…that depends on if we have the same opinion about what’s fun in this case.”
Janne: “How about a shitbox rally in a place that I can guarantee that you have never been before? Sure, it is not that offroading heavy but still…primitive roads in a primitive society.”
Arne: “And you’re sure that I have never been there? How can you be…”
Janne: “Ehm… Uhm… It is a VERY long story…and…”
Arne: “Uhm…ah, what the heck, it can’t be worse than the Philippines in 1979 anyway!”
Janne: “The Philippines in 1979?”
Arne: “Now THAT is a VERY long story if anything, you know.”
Janne: “So you are interested?”
Arne: “Yeah! Of course. Yeah, why wouldn’t I?”
Janne: “Ehm…then there is another problem. We need some vehicle.”
Arne: “Let me guess…since I know you, you’re planning to put together a barely driveable IP Rugger out of all the shit ones I have.”
Janne: “OK, you win. First prize is a green sandwich that smells horrible.”
Arne: “Now that’s something…”
Janne: “And another thing. Could we use the Sanju as a service vehicle and camper? I mean, they are unkillable after all…”
Arne: “I don’t know…they are kind of rare and I have been looking for one for such a long time now…”
Janne: “Oh, relax. We were there last year. It wasn’t harsh on the vehicles at all. Just like a normal sunday drive.”
Arne: “OK, I believ….NO, YOU STUPID MUTT, YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT OLD TRACTOR TYRES! HEY! LET THAT ONE LOOSE AND DO IT NOW!”
Janne: “Time to feed the rottweiler I guess?”
Arne: “Watchdog have had too lazy life lately. Not enough scrapmetal thiever being around here the last weeks. I guess he has gotten no tasty bites of their asses then either.”
Janne: “But well, I’ll be at your place with my plans then in some days."

Next part

6 Likes

Team Mravolinski-Chitco
Part 0.2: Toto-Africa vibe

Brake...not

Cars are cruising on highways of US.
Ok, we can hardly call that a cruise in actual sense, considering that driver in that case would happen to be smooth and of not particularly high pace.

Chicota, despite being seated behind the wheel of low-power heavy truck, still decided to exercise gas pedal at any opportunity which appears to guarantee he would have no particular reason to slow down for some time.
Amanda is driving the wagon and, despite not necessarily being aggressive driver per se, is mimicking Chicota’s approach in order to keep up with truck in front.

-So, anything we should know beforehand, boss?
-Uhh…Andrea? I think he is refering to you…I dont actually know who may be boss…
-Rest of us decided its most apt for you to assume leadership position, as you did fully participated.
And i dont think hosts would mind your…lack of qualifications.
-They might mind it, but i think we are on good terms with them
Or…well…i like to think as such

(Pi continues talking)

As for answering question:
One thing that Chicota may want to know specifically: they have zero-tolerance on drinking and driving.
Your father havent drank beer while driving and same-ish behaviour would likely be expected of you as well, despite fact neither could have gotten drunk.
We are seen as very big team, “we” refers to us and whoever else is going to be in camp.
-So only person we are allowed to behave to in asshole way is Amanda?
-Which Amanda…oh ye, our Amanda…yes, mainly bcos she is confirmed asshole herself.

(Said asshole decided to comment on this by lowering down her window and literally sctreaming through it)

-As long as you acknowledge im stronger than anyone else bar Chicota in team, fair enough.
Also we should really get CB radios.

(Pi was taken aback by rather loud response. Unfortunately, CB radios are very good point indeed
At this point rather empty patch of tarmac called highway was well…empty.
There also seemed to be some other motorist being on same side, same direction and same sense of hurry)

-Who tf is that and why they are approaching us so fast?
-IN NAME OF LAW, GOOD DONUTS AND THIS HERE BRICKSLEY, PULL OVER!!!
-Gentleman, im not undestanding either. But it seems to be…
-PULL TF OVER I HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS SHIT.
THIS IS POLICE!!!
-So i guess we are busted?
-Ye, we cant really outrun him and, well, we dont want to have some trouble with law.

(Chicota rolled down window and decided to announce that he is braking.

Information was transfered to Amanda, but, due to its windows being up and occupants likely not expecting to receive information in such fashion,
boys in blue havent got the memo in their barge
Braking has happened
Saguaro had slowed down, but expecting that Kontir will deccelerate more slowly.
There is now some fluid on windshield and not much slowing down from pickup

Also, obvious need to clarify: i had planned this to be the case, but havent really gotten into details on police vehicle originally.
Now that i think of it Bricksley, like one used in 24h clunkers 2022 but in much better condition, would be pretty much perfect candidate)

-PULL OVER!!!

(Chicota had decided to gesture with his hand about lowering…something.
Luckily, driver of Bricksley had figured out that maybe this something would happen to be window)

-The fuck are you doing, man?
-SEEMS OUR BRAKES DONT REALLY WORK NOW.
-You gotta be kidding me…
-I WENT DOWN AS HARD AS I COULD ON BRAKE, BUT NOTHING.
I HAVE MY SUSPICIONS AND AM WILLING TO COOPERATE JUST GIMME SOME MORE TIME TO SLOW DOWN VIA INERTIA AND SHIT.

(Police car had went tad bit slower, now being on level with Saguaro.
BRAKE was heard, and indeed brake lights worked but pickup wasnt losing speed in such fashion.
Considering his colleague was not willing to do anything, driver keyed megaphone)

-OK, WE GOT IT. JUST TAKE FOOT OFF GAS PEDAL AND WE WILL STOP EVENTUALLY.
-GOT IT.
-When they fucking stop…
-…i will take over on that manner. We will swap seats so even if they DO try anything funny, they will not get away.
-How tf are you so calm?
-Our job is stressful by its very definition. So you gotta choose carefully what would make you stressed.

(Trio of cars eventually did found nice patch of land to stop on.
Kontir would be between Bricksley and Saguaro.
As was hinted earlier, cops had indeed switched seats so hothead was in hot seat now, while (now) co-driver went to truck)

-Oh well, you were both speeding AND “blessed” with brake failure.
-You arent likely to believe me, but brakes worked fine at beggining of the journey.
Either some brake line had gotten bust or brake fluid was not properly filled in.
This is old truck and was prepped by few individuals who prob werent experts by any means
-After taking a peek under, seems something is leaking
Oh…also noticed that wagon was also speeding and is also here.
-Yes, bcos we are team using two cars.
I suggest all stuff you have to say are to be discussed with me, as that driver is temperamental individual.
-HEY! I may be an asshole, but im not going to attack law officers or something to that logic.

-You admit to speeding?
-Look buddy, i can also admit on killing thousands upon thousands of bad guys.
Being robot, i kinda dont need to feel sense of guilt.
-You are very likely in collective trouble, so i suggest developing sense of guilt.
Whats the rush anyway?
-Not sure if thats really your business officer, but…we do plan to go and participate in some kinda race.
Starting point is in Nevada
-And yet, you are going with two relatively old cars that surely arent much of racers.
-Point is exactly in obtaining some shitboxes.
But also in having fun.
-Aint much fun if you need to wrench tad bit when its broken down
-Wouldnt be much of excitement if it all goes to plan.

-Well, plans of both of us are certainly disrupted now anyway.
You are by default in quite a bit of a trouble, since speeding and car is not exactly in drivable condition.
What goes to your advantage is fact that otherwise we were just about only cars on road and you arent being dick about it all.
-Eh, “drivable condition” is rather relative term.
I do agree, but i would be open to note that seems we would have quite some job on preparations anyway.
This and some other critical underlying issues can be fixed or prevented from happening, obviously not on side of the road.

(Head of another policeman peeked out of window and he decided to note something of immense importance)

-We are out of soda and donuts. You know i get very cranky when thats the case.
-As if he isnt already cranky…im glad im talking to you and not him
-Make yourself heard and you might have pleasure to do so.
-(In Serbian) Can we get something to eat? And when are we moving from this goddamn road?
-(Serbian) First we need to sort out this issue we got in for speeding. Also brakes are not working, and he isnt letting us go with that issue for…understandable reasons.
(English) Apparently some of members here would too appreciate some food and not being on side of road getting nowhere.
And yes, that dog did talked in human language, Serbian to be precise.
-I can understand the issues, but its on you for getting into situation in first place.
-Just give them a fucking fine and we go to eat.
-They cant stop the vehicle due to busted brake lines now.
-Ok, two fines.
-We could be going to workshop and fixing this issue. And i feel you better hope they do have something to renew your supplies bcos otherwise your teammate is going to go nuts.

(At this point highway is richer for one new car that deserves special mention.
Policeman still in car had took handheld speed camera and noted out speed of approaching car.
Upon doing this and noting that car in question is in fact speeding, he fired up V8, flicked off lights and siren and moved such that car is partially back on road…and very much visible to these guys approaching
This meant it was also bigger target if one, say, decided to throw couple eggs at it.
Upon receiving few eggs, some of which entered cabin through still open driver window, panda-colored Bricksley was onto its next target.)

-Hey asshole, you are leaving me here.
-I gotta catch this scum

(Bricksley leaves)

-(Sighs) I guess i could use a ride to nearest town.
-We do have enough space to accomodate…4 more people if my math is right.
Ye, we do.
-Will take it.
-Amanda, you will now transport our honorary team member.
-Fine.

(Cars had started moving. Saguaro now took the lead, as it contained guy that knew where they need to go.)

-Now that i think about it, having a policeman in car is actually not as bad of outcome.
After all, its very likely your station might have some old CB radios that can be bought and used.
Both me and Chicota can shout at each other, but CB would be much more civilised solution.
-You have more pressing issues atm.
-What pressing issues…oh, yeah…
Thats nothing: we can check and repair cars so we can more-or-less rely on them during the journey we plan to take.
Speeding tickets can be paid, but that might thin our budget for something else.
-Eh, you could have driven at speed limit instead.
-We prob assumed you would ignore us or, well, that we would not encounter any boys in blue on trip to Nevada.

-Where are you from?
-Depends on who is supposed to answer.
Most of team originally has roots from small country in south-east Europe called Serbia, as in they are born or created or technically based on someone from that country.
One member has unknown origins from my perspective: cat was found as kitten by our dog, who then proceeded to adopt him as his own.
And since dog had spent fair amount of his time being stray dog travelling through Europe…well, you get the point.
One member is born and living in Sweden.
Before you ask, yes, Serbian police is just as competent as you happen to be: if someone is speeding and they are caught doing so, they will face consequences.
I just think that bcos we are known to not cause any further trouble besides speeding, we are usually left alone.
-I have heard fair bit of stuff about place.
-I dont doubt that. Serbia is definitely wonderful place in many aspects: has welcoming people, nice food and there is no bias towards some aspects of human differentiation.
That being said, general population tends to be divided in fair amount of matters.
-Here is our exit.
-Yes. We will drive to workshop to get to fix stuff right away, if you will.
-I…i guess that works.

Workshop shenanigans

(Workshop was open and not lot of traffic
Chicota was able to confirm suspicions and decided to fix it with what was avaiable to atleast make a drivable vehicle
Cop had decided to ironically call 911 with his cellphone in order to announce that he is alive and well and is in workshop.
Mat was nearby and had took note of call, prompting approach)

-…so, you are saying me that these two cars had convoyed at high speeds on highway?
-Yes.
-And one of those vehicles got broken brake line?
-Yes
-Admited the guilt?
-Yes.
-Hmm, what else do we want to attach to them?
-I guess thats enough. These, as it turns out, werent bad people.
My beloved mate had seen some other speeders and decided i shall eat dust.
I got lift to workshop in nearest town so they can fix brake lines and shit.

-Is that someone in police station you are talking with?
-My calls shall not concern you.
-Who…what is happening there?
-One of people from vehicles i just described has asked with whom im talking through phone.
-If thats some other policeman in local police station, can you give me a phone for a second?
-No and thats my final answer.
-What was asked?
-To give phone to him in case some other cop is on other side.
-Why?
-Eh whatever. Ok but make it quick.

-Hello there. Im interested in whether or not you have some old CB radios that we can use?
-…What?..Uhhh, i genuinely have no fucking idea…
Why?
-We plan on taking journey into…lets say kinda unknown territory…or atleast i think so.
Two members of our group can scream at each other through open windows, but this approach has its disadvantages.
-That can be used as tool for more speeding of you lot.
-Device can be set up on some…civilian frequency.
-You could set it back and listen to our communications.
And judging on your history, we wouldnt want that.
-Sigh. We will leave it at that. Officer, i finished my part of talking.
(Phone changed hands)
-Im back.
-I will send someone to pick you up and send them the bill.
-Ok.

(Terrifying sound of V8 was soon heard from parking lot
Even more terrifying was sound of someone hurling themselves towards workshop)

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
YOUUUUUU…YOU DISRUPTED MY LUNCH BREAK
I…WAS ABOUT TO GET SOMETHING PROPER TO EAT, BUT WAS SENT INTO THIS SHITHOLE
-We didnt miss you either. Im not sure why you were sent in first place tbh, your friend is already watching us to make sure we dont escape.
-Im picking him up…and also your fine is here.
-Ah ok, you are leaving us alone…fine, lets see numbers.
-What the fuck you did to our car?
-Whaaaat…oh that, i needed to get those egg-throwers out off road.

(Chicota and cops were now looking at Grand Warden, itself being in need of some repairs.
Its front was no longer in pristine condition, as it was used to push another vehicle off
Some small kid took opportunity to familiarize itself with driver seat of cruiser as front door was wide open
Relative peace that this place might have had was ruined by car’s sirens: both of regular and police kind)

-Now onto how to pay all of this shit…lets see…
-Now i can get proper break.
-Maybe…

After about 30 minutes of WEE WOO WEE WOO BEEP WEE WOO BEEEEP instrumental courtesy of kid still in car, Chicota approached cops.

-You might consider telling the kid to not empty up your battery.
Also, car is still running.
-Thanks for consideration, but that wouldnt be necessary.

SLAM
Kid found gas pedal…and wall.

-I prob should have said earlier.
-Ye…
-Its prob bad enough to not be advisable heading to station in it.
We will keep each other company for quite some time.

Kid ended up being badly scolded considering the parent that was around was very pissed at what unraveled.
Said parent also did so with cops. Feelings were mutual in that regard, however.

In meantime, Kontir was getting considered as kinda finished, but someone had the bright idea of emulating previous year in terms of camper
As was previous year, Mat somehow found adequate pieces in local scrap.

Some policeman arriving in meantime scolded cop duo already here bcos of damaged car.
Then led them to car and they left workshop.
Station was nearby, so they had returned with some dude in tow.

-Totaled!!!
Tf are you talking about?!?
-Truth. We lack money to get parts that are needed to order to fix this shit.
-Oh, we have some big fines to check out.
-Ah, i forgot about bringing a mechanic, which would cost extra.
-Nah, they already have mechanic.
-Oh, whom?
-I know a guy.
-Can “guy” start about now and prepare it for tommorow?
-Uhhh…yes?
-Perfect!

Guy in question was Chicota/himself, who decided cops without cruiser would be miserable.
Well, he knew one of them who would not be fond of just sitting around…

-It was generous to give until tommorrow. These are sturdy and fair bit of stuff can be just hammered back in shape.
-Yea, about that…

Some more cars entered parking lot, none of which seemed to be in good condition.

-Amanda, seems we are going to maintain a fleet tonight.
-Argh…why am i thrown into this?
-You are an asshole.
Also bcos of fact you know how to fix stuff and can be strong pretty much all the time.
But mostly bcos of asshole.
-Uhm, yea, our police station lacks mechanic and pretty much everyone around would rip us off…so opportunity to not be missed.
-We get it.

With that in mind, they had adopted approach of fixing stuff as cheaply as possible, reusing existing parts whenever possible.
This meant utilising sledgehammer fair bit more than they expected, as some of these had bodywork-related issues.
Also beats need to install new panels.

-Thats so ugly, bro. Your guy couldnt have installed it in prettier fashion?
Whats he, inadequate?
-I would say cheap, as that part was already on car. New part is still in box and will be used when there is no hope for this one.
Prob could have been done with more attention in terms of how convincing car looks like it wasnt dented by hitting another car at about 10 mph difference in speed, but it will get dented anyway.
-In that case, absolutely briliant solution.
-We now need to get back to our own cars.
-Also if you can give us few old CBs that you are not gonna use anymore, that would be appreciated.
-How many?
-Two.

Two old CBs were indeed received and would now be put into cars.
Most of police force had left, with exception of duo we encountered at beggining and ofc their Bricksley.
Ok, hot-head went elsewhere, prob for lunch of something.

-Oh wait, fine…argh this is hard to swallow number.
-Its supposed to be like that, so it discourages from further speeding.
-Im aware. This is still not quite right…i dont recall assaulting the officer.
-Oh…what? He…literally blended your speeding ticket and ticket of those he alone chased yesterday.
Values are all inflated…
(Sighs)
You know what? You are free to go.
-Wait, really?
-Im making decision on my own, seeing you lot are good people.
This already held you back by fair amount and…you did repaired everything that was to be repaired.
Lot of spare parts otherwise wasted bcos someone would not give effort to make old one work could wait tad bit longer.
-Well, now atleast im sure nothing would unexpectedly give up on us during journey.
And…well…thanks for being good person as well.

On that note, they finally and fully parted their ways.
Group decided not to speed…for now, atleast.

CBs needed some love, but soon they were considered operational.

Camp

Further down the road, final tweaks and adjustments were made.
Everything was deemed atleast good enough to go and group was preparing to enter the camp.

Considering it was decided to give oldies taste in American motoring, entrance in camp was not spectacular and at 2pm on last day of March they arrived.
As of time of writing this part, only one team legitimately seemed like shitbox group.
Rest was…kinda confusing.

Did hosts brought out some TV crew to follow journey? Knowing that where they are going TV signal is unlikely to reside had indeed confused them.
Also…how exactly is this plethora of cars and trailers shitboxy?
Same question could be arisen towards some weird big trucks also present.

They parked to some place. Prob is intended for some yet to arrive team, but they will move after consulting with hosts
This was going the distance already, so some catching breath and taking in camp situation will prob take few minutes

5 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS

PART 0.2 - PROLOGUE

Earlier parts

Pre-prologue part 1

Pre-prologue part 2
Prologue part 0.1
Prologue part 0.15 - Interlude

14th of March 2023

Once again standing in front of the IP Ruggers were Janne and Arne. They were pretty clear that the Rugger they should start with was the metallic green one with the chestnut brown hood. It was by no means beautiful, covered in rust and moss as it was, but it was surprisingly sound when they checked it up closer. They rolled it into the shop, since for some reason the brakes had not even seized from standing still, and went back out to look at the rest of the trucks.

“This is the next one we will aim our focus at”, Janne said, pointing at the T-boned white Rugger. “We need that military spec 4Z this time. It already has the right jets in the carb and lower compression ratio”. Granted, the truck being bent like a banana meant that there was a somewhat hard time to reach some of the bolts. After some swearing, Janne had enough and decided that cutting off everything using a hacksaw and an acetylene torch was the way to go.

“And now we will have to get the engine hoist for real men”, Arne laughed, and reversed his crane equipped Volvo Viking closer to the Rugger. Yes, it was a pretty effective way of removing the 2.4 litre 4-banger lump from the wreck, one must say. Or for that matter, putting it back into the light green Rugger. With a not so discrete “thump”, it landed in the engine compartment, and Janne for once was rather quick to install it back into the engine bay.

“At least it wasn’t one of their forward control vans. They can be quite a nightmare to work on”, Janne grumbled. “Don’t ask me how I know.”

After being finished with the engine swap, the team decided that it was time to take a coffee break with some strategy talk.

“So, where is this rally going to start, then?”, Arne asked curiously.

“Nevada”, Janne said.

“You must be kidding!”, Arne laughed.

“No, I am dead serious”, Janne said.

“So how are we even supposed to get the vehicles there?”, Arne asked.

“ANDREAS, FROM NOW ON YOU KEEP QUIET!”, Janne said.

“I haven’t even said anything”, Andreas answered.

“No, but you were probably going to. Anyway, I have some tricks. Let’s just say that everything on this planet is energy, and that I do have some tricks for fooling the system. We can end up in Nevada in no time”, Janne said.

“Now, if you have such a fantastic invention, why aren’t you using it all the time?”, Arne said.

“Material fatigue”, Janne answered. “No vehicle would be able to stand up to this in the long run. Once? Yes. Twice? Probably yes. But what will happen later? I don’t want to know to be honest. If something breaks in hyperspace…well… I don’t really know what will happen. I am just pretty sure that there is a reason why nobody on earth have ever heard an explanation about what happens when something breaks in hyperspace.”

“Oh well…whatever you said it can’t be worse than the Philippines in 1979”, Arne mumbled.

“Is the Philippines in Greece?”, Marie asked.

“JUST BECAUSE YOUR NAME IS NOT ANDREAS, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD NOT KEEP QUIET!”, Janne said, pretty annoyed. “Drink your coffee and shut up.”

“But coffee without booze tastes so weird”, Marie said.

“Anyway. My plans are like this. We will build a driveable Rugger here. I’ll drive it to my place tonight. You follow with us in the Sanju, I will do the necessary work on it at home. Then Andreas can drive you back to Luleå again. Just come to my place the day we are supposed to arrive at camp then, I will fix everything.”, Janne explained.

“Oh well. Just so you know, I have no spare transfer case left at all now”, Arne said.

“Doesn’t matter. We can remove the diff housing and driveshafts up front to save some weight and friction in the driveline. Then we can cut and weld two propshafts together to 2WD length. We won’t need 4WD after all.”

Getting back from the coffee break, they did just that. One of the rusty 4Z equipped trucks donated its propshaft, and Janne cut and welded it together. “It might fuck up the balance a bit, but…meh”, Janne said.

After mounting the propshaft and filling up all the fluids, it was time to put a fresh battery in the truck. With some gasoline poured directly into the carb, it started immediately. In a cloud of smoke that disappeared after a while, but it started. Janne took it for a test drive and was more or less amazed when he came back.

“You know what? It runs like a champ! And everything, and I mean everything, works like it should. I might just give it a regular service and it’s good to go!”

They disassembled everything that could be prone to breaking from the three rusted out 4Z trucks, and the few parts that could be spared from the T-boned example. “I want to spare the diesel Ruggers”, Janne said. “They might come in handy later”. The light green Rugger was filled up with parts under the canopy, and the ones that did not fit was put into the Wolverine.

It was a pretty interesting convoy that was heading home. First, a maroon Vaughn Grand Mirage GTS, a kind of rare sight in itself. Followed by a light green, battered to hell IP Rugger. Last of them all, a Sanju MDM44 Wolverine. Needless to say, for everyone that saw the sight it was probably both first and last time.

TO BE CONTINUED…

4 Likes

VEHICLE PRESENTATION

MAIN VEHICLE: 1983 IP Rugger 4x4

Light green metallic. Chestnut brown hood. Flaking “4 wheel drive” graphics. Surface rust everywhere. Moss growing on the ugly canopy. Rear bumper missing. All chrome parts painted white. Everything works! Has a terribly leaky aftermarket sunroof. 4 wheel drive is permanently disabled. Has a lengthened propshaft which might cause slight vibrations. Other than that - sound. At least this far. 2.4 litre inline 4. 5 speed manual.

SUPPORT VEHICLE: 1980 SANJU MDM44 “Wolverine”

Ex radio communications vehicle. Surprisingly good condition, no known faults. Camper interior is rickety since it is only random furniture that Janne threw in and barely fastened. 4 wheel drive. Air brakes. 4.8 litre “8ZV” V8 that shares many parts with the 2.4 litre “4Z” inline 4 in the Rugger, since IP is just Sanju’s division for light vehicles. 2x5 speed twin stick manual, unsynchronized.

Next part…

4 Likes

Team reUnity

The team has posted an updated variant for the entry, which now has a cheaper Galvin-based 6.2 V8 OHV engine due to cost issues.

The team lineup remains unchanged.

6 Likes

48 HOURS REMAIN FOR ENTRY SUBMISSION

1 Like

Spy Kids Return to Aetherii

Is that an old SUV? Yes!
Is that a bunch of university students with vast wealth of questionable provenance? Yes!

You know what that means? It’s Shitbox Rally time!

The Personnel

Driver: Jessica Lombaerts

Appearance: 170cm tall, dirty blonde/brunette hair, dresses exclusively for the beach, skate park, or nightclub.

Description: Half-Dutch, half mad. Her main job is to drive fast, and her car collection reflects that. Her other job is to smoke enough weed to asphyxiate an entire country, and as a result half of the colour and texture in her hair is actually hashish. Is also a hip hop dancer.

Vehicles: BMW M3 (E92), Suzuki Hayabusa, Pagani Zonda F Roadster, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Navigator: Alexis Ahaual

Appearance: 155cm, black hair with highlights of varying colours, guerilla uniforms or traditional Mayan or Oto-Manguean dress.

Description: They/them. Fervent Zapatista, even more fervent drum and bass enthusiast. Can speak nine languages, of which five are only spoken in Mexico and Guatemala. Learnt French solely to learn L’Internationale; learnt Russian solely to learn the Soviet anthem. Also an accomplished weed smoker, but prefers mate de coca.

Vehicles: Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Hilux, KTM 690 Enduro

Mechanic: Shay Hirvonen

Appearance: 160cm, blonde hair, wears cottage-core outfits, winter sweaters, or androgynous clothes.

Description: Soft and cuddly on the outside, sharp and devious on the inside. Is better with her hands than anyone else on the team, and probably anyone else this side of the Olympics. When she’s not in soft-core mode, she will step on you, and you will like it. Can also shoot better than Alexis despite not being a committed militant.

Vehicles: Jaguar E-Type, Mercedes-Maybach S650 (with upgrades), VW Kombi (with upgrades), Bugatti Chiron

Liaison: Lazar Kandyba

Appearance: 167cm, black hair, black beard, 80% normal clothes, 20% Soviet wear and Slav Squat tracksuits.

Description: Ukrainian, Khrushchevist, anti Stalin, anti modern Russia. Much vodka consumption, almost as much sunflower seed consumption. Switched from tobacco to cannabis to alleviate lung problems actually caused by living in Donetsk. Can haggle his way out of a Rolls-Royce dealership. Knows Krav Maga, Muay Thai, and AK47.

Vehicles (all upgraded): Lada Niva, Nissan Stagea, Mitsubishi Evo VIII, Volvo 850 Estate

Second Driver: Laura Kamenev

Appearance: 163cm, dark brown hair, dresses like an architect

Description: The bad cop to Shay’s good cop, she has no softcore mode and will just step on you. Resident piano player and yerba mate addict. (No, that one doesn’t have cocaine.) Is banned from eleven countries for political reasons, and will also not set foot in Northern Arkansas or Hungary.

Vehicles: Mercedes E63 S Wagon, Porsche 911 Turbo S

Muscle: Giorgi Ingorokva

Appearance: 191cm, green hair, boiler suits or designer fashion

Description: Amateur rugby player, professional flaming homosexual, wannabe rockstar. Runs a garage in Liverpool and a clothing store next door, though his residence is of uncertain legality. Played three matches for London Scottish.

Vehicles: Jaguar XJS, Audi TT RS Roadster, Subaru Outback (with upgrades)

The Car

This time, the big hulk came out of a factory on the capitalist side of the Iron Curtain, located in Ireland. The Mocabey Pioneer XL is a nearly sixty year old piece of machinery, but was very capable in its prime. Locking front and rear with a two speed transfer case, it would take a family of six over some seriously tough terrain, and with 250bhp in fuel injected guise the gargantuan 6.7L straight six would let the Pioneer keep up with the fastest of traffic anywhere but the Autobahn.

But of course, a stock vehicle with half a century of wear just won’t do for this team. From its previous home in Angola, Lazar shipped it over to Giorgi’s shop in Liverpool, where Giorgi, Shay, and Shay’s mad scientist friend Petra went to work on it.

On the handling side, the old springs were replaced with air suspension, paired with adaptive dampers and a disconnecting rear sway bar, and the brakes were upgraded to vented units all round, and with six pistons on the front. The driveline was overhauled, with the locking differentials and transfer case deemed unnecessary and replaced with Torsens and the old automatic replaced with a custom ZF 8HP. The interior was just as spectacular a replacement as with the Elbrus, with six massaging leather seats and Bluetooth everything.

But it’s the engine where the true witchcraft lies. Petra and Shay weren’t going to stop with forged internals, VVT, and independent throttle bodies. No, they stuck a giant turbo on it. 86mm of forced induction and variable geometry, sending 0.85 bar into those six throttle bodies. And then the girls drilled into the iron head and stuck a fuel rail and some direct injectors inside. The result? 500bhp, 800 lb-ft, and 5.2s to 100km/h. Lets see what shenanigans the Spy Kids get into with what is now a 250km/h SUV.

The “Support” Vehicle

New for Shitbox Rally 2023 is support vehicles! And it doesn’t even need to do any actual support! Of course, the Spy Kids need room for bedding and creature comforts in the Pioneer, so most of the larger spare parts will be carried in a box van, and that box van is a Reekayns B210, driven by a crew Jessica hired via Instagram. A nominally American car that was actually built in a third world sweatshop, it originally had a wheezy 2.1L engine that produced all of 55bhp.

Of course, that engine was broken, so they went shopping for a new one at the junkyard. The scrap dealer claimed it was an old plane engine, and the instantly allured shoppers took it. Unfortunately, it’s a plane engine from 1980, and it’s a 4.8L inline four. Anyway, they wedged the engine into the van, stuck on an exhaust they also found at the junkyard that kind of fit, and attached a carburetor on top. The result? 72bhp. Absolutely piss poor, even for an engine that only produced 90-ish bhp when new. The good news is that, being twice the size of the old engine, it produced twice as much torque.

Other features on the van include solid axles at both ends to eliminate any ride comfort, 4x4 with two speed transfer case to assure adventurous delivery drivers they can make it up the dirt driveway to their destination, open differentials to squander the off road potential of said transfer case, a three speed automatic to make driving as lazy as possible, and a bench seat in the cargo box for when a delivery requires more than three people.

The Hired Schmucks Van Crew

Driver: Tracey Maxou

Description: Soccer mum and also dance mum, with all the road rage and Instagram usage that represents. Only thing stopping her from tailgating everything in sight is the physical inability of the Reekayns to keep up with traffic.

Cars: Chrysler Voyager, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio

Navigator: Magnolia Coleman

Description: AM talk radio host, thinks challenging someone to a debate is an acceptable way of meeting someone, finds most public bathrooms unacceptably dirty. Is being kept on a tight leash by Tracey.

Cars: Kia Soul

Mechanic: Kiel Shamble

Description: Mormon Youtuber with four kids, owns two pyramid schemes network marketing companies and a procurement fraud business. Wife runs a swimsuit store. Insists his name is pronounced like it’s spelt Kyle.

Cars: Chevy Silverado, Dodge Challenger Hellcat

4 Likes