SPC02: 1995 Fruinia Auto Show | Rules Deliberation

As you fine people may know, some people go to auto shows to just check out cars, or maybe see what new release of a car to buy. Today, we will focus on a recently married couple, Luis and Annie.

Challenge Brief / Backstory + Info

Luis and Annie are both 23 years old, and after a bit of bad luck, Annie is now pregnant with their first child, and the couple need a car that can haul children and all of their stuff to replace their aging (and rusting away) Ford Torino that Luis has had for 6 years ever since he learned to drive. But, what car may it be? They both plan on heading over to Raicanta, Fruinia to see the cars at the Fruinia Auto Show all the way from the suburbs of Selfield, Gasmea to look at the new SUVs, wagons and sedans, and maybe a minivan… Will your vehicle blow their minds? We shall find out!

The Couple’s Priorities

:star::star::star:

Fuel Economy

Gasmean gas prices are rather inexpensive. HOWEVER, Luis and Annie don’t have great paying jobs at the moment, and other than their parents paying for their new car, everything else is up to the new couple, so fuel economy will matter a ton. Anything over 25 MPG should be fine, but they’d really like a car with over 30 MPG.

Safety

With motherly instincts comes wanting the safest vehicle on the market, and naturally, this is very high on the list. Anything less than a 70 score for safety is going to be a hard sell for this couple, but perhaps the marketing department can make it work.

Design

As you’d imagine, basically everybody likes a good looking car, and since both of these people come from higher middle class families, they do value the good looks of a vehicle, like the Torino Luis has, if you leave the rust out of the picture.

:star: :star:

Drivability

Although they do value this, it isn’t as important because they know that they will probably get a fairly cumbersome vehicle, and both Luis and Annie know how to drive competently, and from the added experience that Luis has driving a crappy old Ford Torino with no power steering and suspension spongier than using literal sponges as suspension, this isn’t as much of an issue, although they’d like an easy to drive vehicle.

Comfort

Comfort is the most important factor in a lot of vehicles for people, but not for this couple. They’re fine with an uncomfortable vehicle, but they don’t want something as horrendously uncomfortable as a Flint pickup from the 1950s. Nobody would want that.

:star:

Sportiness

This is gonna be a family hauler, but there is something that is never gonna be as useless as this factor for a family vehicle. Sportiness. Yes, they would like a moderately quick vehicle to merge onto the large Gasmean interstates, but nothing else. 0-60 times don’t particularly matter to them at all, and although handling is rather precious, they don’t want comfort to be chopped in half because the car handles just a wee bit better than the competition.

Vehicle Requirements

• 1995-1996 model years
  • Family oriented bodies only (NO trucks, utes, coupes and any of the like. MPVs, minivans and 5-door hatches or sedans with a hatchback trunk/boot are permitted.)
  • 4 doors or 5 doors ONLY. (you’re using family oriented car bodies, after all…)
  • Car must fit the budget of $21,000 (The couple is getting financial support from relatives for this purchase)
  • Car must get over 25 mpg, 20 if it’s an SUV or other body that doesn’t resemble a car, and if your marketing department does a stellar job at convincing them it’s fine.
  • Car must have 65 or over in the reliability score. No exceptions.
  • The car should have good drivability and comfort. This is gonna be a family hauler.
  • The car MUST have road-legal components!!! (turn signals, mirrors, etc)
  • Interiors are encouraged as always, but they will not be judged.
  • Regular and premium fuel ONLY! (91 RON / 86-87 AKI, 95 RON / 90-91 AKI)
  • +5 techpool for everything except turbos which may be set to 0 if your engine is N/A.

Engine Requirements

• 1995 variant year
  • NO V16s, V12s, OR V10s!!! V8s are also heavily discouraged.
  • Must pass emissions for at least in Gasmea
  • 50 loudness limit

Submission Requirements

• Model and Family names: SPC02 - (Insert Forum Username Here)
  • Trim and Variant names: Free
  • Must have at least one picture or ad for the car you are submitting.
  • All submission files are to be sent to my DMs or the additional judge’s DMs if there will be one.
  • Submissions open on (Time has not been decided yet) and end on (Time has not been decided yet).

v Inspirations v

4 Likes

I’m going to build the best wagon ever! :slight_smile:

I’m assuming this has to be on regular (91 RON) or premium (95 RON) unleaded.

4 doors or more?

Stylistic and mechanical realism expectations?

Techpool? (maybe look at recent CSR or QFC challenge briefs for additional depth?)

Any priorities we should be aware of?

1 Like

We could have everyone set the techpool to its default allocation of +5 in all areas (except for turbos, which may receive 0 techpool if the engine is naturally aspirated), or suggest a combined engine + trim techpool budget of around $40m.

Yeah some priorities wouldn’t hurt. Do they value comfort over sportiness? Drivability over fuel economy?

It doesn’t have to be complicated, the priorities can be as simple as they are in the Road Kings challenge

1 Like

I just woke up so please excuse me, but that was just a third, or maybe a half of the challenge, so don’t worry. It will not be final. (talking about the post draft)

Regular and premium fuel is permitted, and yes, unleaded.

There could be more, (we could include sedan+hatch whatevers as that does open up an opportunity for a Xantia…) but yeah.

Not yet born :stuck_out_tongue:

What does it mean for large hatchbacks, for example?

I’m confused. To my Euro mind every SUV is a car, so what exactly does “not resembling a car” means?

Not to be too critical, but this is starting to shape up into a carbon copy of QFC47 which just closed. You may want to consider adding a challenge element to it, like a more restrictive fuel economy, or tighter design restrictions.

Or look at other auto show threads and make it more of an auto show instead of a buyer challenge?

Can you add price as a priority (my entry is very cheap I’m hoping it will help me win)

Sorry, but I’m trying to make a good formula to calculate the scoring for everyone, and doing this would be very unfair for other people in my opinion. And, saying that you hope to win after saying this to me is not very great. Sorry, but no.

Why do you need a formula? Just make a list of priorities. Say, drivability is 3 stars and price is 2 stars. An averagely priced car with mediocre drivability should beat a cheap car with shit drivability. Low purchase price often comes with at least some downsides.

3 Likes

Whaaat… So that means that basically every car is optimised to use 100% of the budget, or it’s suboptimal.

Also how’s saying that one hopes to win (isn’t it why people enter challenges?) bad? :thinking:

Also, is that really model years, or trim years? Do the entries have to be brand new models?

What do you mean exactly by “Automation spec diesel”? Your idea of it might be different from my one, and that could result in a bin.

What emissions? Fruinian or Gasmean?

1 Like

Worded this horrbily, sorry.
Anyways, I wouldn’t like implementing rules and such that might benefit one person while another may have engineered a car within the limits that were set before, so that would make a little guilty.

I’d say that it has to be a new vehicle, considering the fact that this is an auto show that the couple are going to, and it is to show off new technology.
And, an Automation spec diesel is like simulating a diesel engine in the game, like using 140 AKI fuel (it is 140 iirc) would count on my end, so it won’t really end in a bin,.