The 2023 Trafikjournalen 24h of clunkers - (END OF RACE!)

Another evening without really knowing what is going on… while Chanty intensifies her friendship with the local fauna, Thomas desperately tries to call the orga-team to know why all haven´t started yet.

Eh, dad, get off the phone, Rudolph needs attention!

A Rudolph should be a reindeer… not an elk, damnit! Seems the boss of all this here is stuck with a plumbing issue… well, that´s understandable then, we should have some patience. By the way, speaking of plumbing, I need to disappear for some minutes.

You are unbearable, how about getting me a beer to survive your company?

That is a great idea. Are you coming with me?

I have your genes? Isnt that obvious?

The group more and more …liquids… were consumed, and when Thomas and Jan talked about politics, it was finally enough for Chanty, seeking peace with Rudolph. The both guys didn´t notice.

The more drunk Thomas became, the nicer he was. A black sky slowly turned to blue.

Ah well, don´t blame my daughter for her faults. I didn´t hold the family together, only interessed in my garage and cars, so her childhood was shit.

Your daughter is fine, Mr. Nilfert… it´s all right. And I was always of the opinion I neither need a car nor a license until she proved me otherwise.

Yeah, she doesnt have the milkman´s genes, at last… and, it´s Thomas. When do you finally call me Thomas?

Ehm… Mr. Thomas… ehm, have you seen Chanty?

Unfortunately, she fell off Rudolph, and is unable to stand up. She feels more and more cold, and finally finds peace in the thought of passing in Sweden… until Thomas and Jan arrive, pull her back in the cabin

As the “tough” Thomas fainted when seeing his daughter cry, it was all up to Jan to fill the role of the man in the household, which he did quite well. Especially his medical training seems to be useful.

Aaargh… ouch… be careful!

I am, maybe a kiss helps?

Only if it is from you, then… of course.

It is nothing serious, a day of rest, and you should be able to drive in the competition again.

I would even drive without my head … this is what I waited for all year… No matter what happens, I will show my dad that I can do better than him! But you know what? Can you bring me Rudolph for a cuddle? My fall scared him. And I want the caaaaaat!

Well, if that´s your problem right now, you must be really fine again…

3 Likes

TEAM TRAFIKJOURNALEN
PART 0.1 - PRE-RACE

We had seen this show before. Three tired men, an even more tired 1985 IP Brigadier pickup, with a record holder in being tired N/A diesel, towing an equally tired junker to Höljes on its way to obliteration. This time it looked almost comical. An IP towing an IP. A box towing a box. A small box there was. And despite its rugged looks, the FWD CVT Rubiq didn’t have much of a resemblance under the shell to the solid axle, 4x4, body on frame Brigadier. On the positive side, the Rubiq wasn’t nearly as slow.

“How many kilometers does this thing have on the clock now?”, Carlén asked.

“I don’t know”, Hansen answered. “The odometer stopped working years ago!”

“I can’t feel my legs!”, Andersson complained, having the most cramped mid bench seating position.

“Don’t worry, you will get used to it”, Hansen said.

“If we cut a hole in the floor, I can probably stretch out my legs, AND, I can give it some help with my feet so we will reach twice this speed!”, Andersson cynically said.

“Quiet, or I will have Carlén force feeding you with Doritos so you can’t keep up with your nagging”, Hansen grumbled. To somewhat counteract the noise from Andersson’s complaining, he raised the volume of the old tape player, now blaring Heidi Hauge at max volume through the half-blown stock speakers.

The old Brigadier was rolling along at a slow but steady pace, and finally, our friends were approaching the track.

“HAHAHA!”, Hansen laughed. “Complain all you want, but at least I have good tow mirrors. Do you know how I know about that?”

Eh, no?", Andersson curiously asked.

“Because I can see a german freakshow arguing loudly with each other about something, in the Primus behind us, right now”, Hansen laughed loudly. Because…just yes. A bunch of…well, more or less weird looking germans were clearly trying to almost kill each other over something, in the Primus Aventura he saw in the mirror. “If that’s the competition we have…”

“…then it won’t matter that we just have an IP, I guess”, Carlén said, knowing that it would annoy Hansen.

“Did you know that the IP Celestia GTT-4, well the 2600 version then, not the more common 2500, actually was a homologation special, for the car that raced, and for thta matter won, in…”, Hansen started.

“Yes, because I have FORGOTTEN more about racing than you ever have known, Mr. May!”, Carlén answered. “And when it comes to IP, that is only the exception that confirms the rule.”

“It wasn’t even my idea to get an IP this time”, Hansen said. “Or maybe I was partly guilty, but the main reason wasn’t to smash it up in the 24h race after all”.

Time went on, and while the hosting magazine’s own team of drivers were unloading the car, other teams also had arrived. Andersson took a quick sneek peek around, just to come back a while later.

"OK, what we can fear, is a TDF Pax with eyelashes…

“That sounds about as serious as entering with a lawnmower powered wheelie bin”, Hansen said.

“To be fair, an IP Rubiq is a lawnmower powered wheelie bin”, Carlén said in a somewhat more cynical tune.

"A Crown Vic that seems to have an actual lawnmower engine…

(Carlén and Hansen doing facepalms at the same time)

“Should we fear a Kando again?”, Andersson asked.

“Yes, those things are like…mentally, brutally toxic”, Hansen said.

“Sneaky fast, was what we saw last year at least”, Carlén chimed in.

“A Rosew…”

“A blown diff”, Hansen answered. “Remember last year?”

“Then, we have a Tarquini Freccia”, Andersson continued.

“Yellow and right hand drive?”, Carlén asked.

“No, white and left hand drive”, Andersson answered.

“Then it is not the mailman. I’ll take a croissant, please”, Hansen answered.

“The most trashed Arlington Antares I have seen”, Andersson continued.

“You haven’t been to enough trailer parks then”, Hansen sighed.

“Then we have a beaten to death Ferdon 318 estate…”

“Some people takes the clunker thing seriously, I guess”, Hansen answered.

“You’re lying, they haven’t existed since 1998”, Carlén told him.

“Uhm. Anyway, we also have a puke green Lada 112…”

“I saw that thing and it was absolutely not a Lada 112”, Hansen answered.

“So what is it then?”, Andersson curiously asked.

“I don’t know, but if it is a Lada 112 I will eat my helmet after the race!”, Hansen said.

“Better bring extra BBQ sauce then”, Andersson answered in a salty tone.

“Yes, because you already brought the salt”, Hansen told him.

“Then, I saw a blue Hamocars DB-R”…

“Of course, there wouldn’t be a shitbox race without one, I guess”, Hansen said.

“Yes, but at least we got to know the colour”, Carlén laughed.

"Well, maybe it was a bit closer to brown, at least around the edges. Then, there was a VerBanka Cauchy…

“Interesting car, if you like to watch when paint is drying”, Hansen yawned.

“Stop describing a 1998 IP Sterna now!”, Carlén said just to tease him.

“You can be a 1998 Sterna! A DX and not a GTX!”, Hansen said.

“Then there was a McNamara National Deluxe, that at least would win some style points with its livery, spoilers and pipes…”

“Huh, a car that’s actually close to being cool then”, Hansen said.

“Yes, but they can only corner in one direction”, Carlén laughed.

“Some chinese clown car from Wish. CAC I think. Should have been named CCC for Chinese Clown Car…”

“I don’t fear it”, Carlén said.

“Me neither”, Hansen agreed.

“We also have an ACR 400 Executive…”

“Beige”, Hansen said.

“Yes, did you see it?”, Andersson asked.

“No, but they were beige no matter what colour they had.”

“Also, I passed those german freaks with the Primus towing the Primus, and it seemed like they were looking rather strange at me…”

“Just stop being so socially awkward and it will solve itself”, Hansen said.

“Or just close the zipper”, Carlén laughed.

“Oh, thank…HEY WHAT?”, Andersson snapped back, more than a bit annoyed.

Fooled you!", Carlén laughed even more.

“Then we had a puke green Newton Gravitas from the early 60s…”

“Feels like a throwback to my times”, the spirit of the early UE era in the sky told Andersson.

“Why are you staring into the sky like an idiot?”, Hansen asked him.

“Oh, nothing”, Andersson excused himself. “A Sceptre Caducus that seems to have been through some rough times…”

“Not bread this time, I hope”, Hansen said.

“I am not hungry”, Carlén said.

“A Carlisle Stoop…”

“Nobody will notice its demise after 24h”, Hansen answered.

“I get it. Now, there was also a Wartburg, and…”

(Hansen making crazy frog sounds)

“A 4 stroke Wartburg, I would like to remind you”, Andersson answered. “Also, a MCP Lombardi that looked like if it was almost falling apart by itself…”

“Weren’t they like that from the factory?”, Hansen answered.

“Do you have to give me sour comments for everything?”, Andersson asked Hansen in an annoyed tune.

“Yes, because you gave me sour comments for my driving”, Hansen answered him.

“That’s just because a tuna would be able to pass you, on land, AFTER it has been canned”, Andersson said in a grumpy tune. “Also, a Kazrohn 452…”

“Now, talk about being passed by a canned tuna”, Hansen said.

“The Kazrohn 452 is the actual can!”, Carlén continued.

"Also, there was a HED Wedgie…

“At least the spoiler is well fixed to the car then”, Hansen and Carlén chimed in.

“I have no idea what the two of you are talking about sometimes. Someone had thrown a Schnell V8 into a Hakumai…”

“That should be a source of fear”, Carlén said.

“Either that, or the engine is held in with duct tape”, Hansen continued.

“I didn’t see any tape”, Andersson continued. “Then we have a Bricksley limo that I guess either will self-destruct or obliterate everything on the track…”

“I think it will first obliterate everything on the track, and THEN self-destruct, so there will be no winner this year”, Hansen sighed.

“Finally, I saw an Uyemura Prefecta R. Should we fear it?”

“Maybe”, Hansen said.

“And maybe not”, Carlén continued. “Oh well, at least this seems to be the year for proper shitboxes then.”

“Yeah, someone even brought an IP into here”, Andersson said.

TO BE CONTINUED…
(@MoteurMourmin, @OpheliaSakura , I could unfortunately not find entries from you among my messages, so you’re unfortunately out)
(All the bashing of cars is done IC, and just for fun, and does not represent my views of the actual cars, I am happy and satisfied with every car that has been sent in and I want to thank all the participants.)

5 Likes

curious how none of them noticed it being both LHD and RHD lol :smiley:

3 Likes

I honestly forgot that little detail when I was trying to give a salty welcome to all the participants but I bet they will notice later…

4 Likes

SSSRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Urgh, that sounds awful, must be some pathetic CVT car. JAN! can you look out of the window?

It´s a… red rusty shoebox.

Thomas stood up from the chair, rushing towards the window.

Ah, the journalists, that means we will now move to the track. Fine! Chantal, how are you? Do you feel better?

I… guess so? Most of the pain was from the frostbite… still have back pain and can barely walk, and my hand is totally swollen now. I think if we start today, we change the order and I will be driving last… have you already checked on the car if it still runs?

IT IS A PRIMUS. Austrias finest machines. Of course it will always run!

gnignignignignigni… wrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwr

Eh… nevermind. JAN! TOOLBOX! NOW!

Here, Thomas. Do you need assistance?

Nah, Jan, thanks, but when you hold on its like three let loose… ORSCHWERBLEEDE! WER HAT DENN DIESE HUDDL SO VORFRIEMLD???

Jan scratched his head, and as he now gets along a bit better with Thomas, he starts a daring move:

Wasnt it you who always serviced it?

Chanty holds her breath and quickly pulls him aside.

Darling, he is yelling in dialect! That means keep quiet and RUUUUUUUN!

After half an hour, Thomas managed to get the wiring of the ECU done, it seems something had bitten in there, and he drove the Advance onto the trailer and off they went, directly behind the IP Rubiq with the weird acting CVT torturing the engine, which was now loaded onto a trailer as well, pulled by a stinky old diesel pickup.

I bet that was your damn cat having hunger for cable salad!

DAD! THE CAT IS PERFECT! It would never do that.

Purr-fect? Hahahaha.

Jan, you should keep a low profile. Yellow card, my friend!

The arguing trio finally managed to get to the track without any further inconvenience, aside from the three constantly fighting, and Jan and Chanty use the opportunity to escape a bit from Thomas´grumpyness, as he is busy organizing stuff and seems to do best if left alone.

2 Likes

Team Highway Hooligans

Team Information and Index

Repairs? Nah, Just Paint It.

As the other competitors start showing up, Jake slowly gets up and crawls out of his tent, waking up Cody by kicking him in his still-collapsed tent, then kicking Trevor’s feet sticking out of his tent. He walks over to the truck, only to see Val’s already awake, or at least appeared to be that way.

“Okay guys,” Jake says, looking around the half-assembled crew, with Cody taking a while to wake up, “We need to put together our pit lane. Tires by the wall in case we need to replace any - They’re all shit, expect flats to be common. We need to get the toolbox set up. We also need to put a number on the sides of the car. I know Cody packed stencils and Trevor packed paint, so that problem should be easily solved.”

Valentin, within the Moover “semi”, was sort-of awake in a state best described as “lost in thought” to anyone outside.
Still, he does notice the commotion outside:

“Need help?” Valentin offers through the open driver’s door, getting out of the truck shortly thereafter.

Jake smiles as Valentin offers some help. “I think you might be the strongest of the bunch of us… Mind hauling the toolbox out of the truck and putting it anywhere you might find useful in the pit lane?”

Cody grins. “I’ll take painting the number on the car.”

Jake sighs. “At least that’s something you’re unlikely to fuck up. That leaves me and Trev moving tires around.”

“Not really a problem in my opinion. Just be careful to check them before stacking them - Some of them might be really shit. We don’t really want to use those ones,” Trevor replies.

Some Amount of Time Later

Jake looks around at the pit lane, nodding in approval. He’d been surprised at how easily Val moved the toolbox, and while maintaining proper lifting posture - the old “bend your knees, not your back” statement in full effect. Likewise, Trevor and Jake had moved the tires the less stressful way, lifting them only so much as to get them out of the car and on the ground, then rolling them into a stack of tires, which were then sorted into Decent, Shit, and Unusable. Cody had found a stencil in the car, and ended up just casually spraying 69 on the side of both front doors, explaining he had no clue where the other stencils went, but with his choices between 6, 9, 66, 69, 96, 99, or any combination of three digits, he was going to take 69 if it was available.

“Okay, looks like we’re ready. Trev, you’re the only one who’s driven this thing so far, anything to note?” Jake asked.

Trevor thinks a bit, then admits, “The steering feels a little weird - there’s a surprising amount of momentum in quick steering movements thanks to the linked wheels. Other than that, it’s… Just the weirdness of two wheels. I think Val’s side is a bit worse off because our seat’s in the way of his view-line.”

“Might as well try,” Valentin comments as he opens the door and just is stood there for a moment in an attempt to compute a vaguely graceful way of entry.

Eventually, he gets in butt-first, falling deep into his seat with a grunt once both legs are in.
He then takes a look around the car:
“The other seat is actually not that bad. Somewhat lines up with the B-Pillar, so i can actually still see something over there.”

He shifts around in the seat for a good while in a (futile) attempt of “shaping” it to his body.

“How long am i going to be sat in here?” Valentin inquires, still moving about, “I feel like i am sat in an uncushioned bathtub…”

Jake grimaces slightly. “We set the plan at 6 hour stints. Mine first, noon to 6. Yours, 6 to midnight. Cody, midnight to 6. Trevor, 6 to noon. Of course, if you need a break, bring it into the pit lane and we’ll swap someone in to take over.”

“I can try, but i am not overly confident with this… [finger quotes] seat.” Valentin counters, reaching for the wheel, “At least the position of it is not far off, even if reversing will be a challenge once i am strapped in proper…”

Jake chuckles. “That’s why we’ve got the truck mirror on the driver’s side, ironically. It’s not set up for any of us, it’s to be set for you so you can reverse if needed.”

Cody shakes up the rattle can of paint and grabs a “Team Highway Hooligans” stencil, slapping it on the back of their toolbox and fogging their team name on it.

“I’ll go stop our little vandal before he uses that stencil and paint to go put our team name on something we don’t own,” Trevor says, walking off to get the can of paint away from Cody, as Cody walks toward the garage with the paint can.

(OOC: If anyone wants a mysterious “Highway Hooligans” sprayed on their stuff, Cody’s to blame for it.)

3 Likes

While I can’t promise anything, I will try to get part 1 of the race results out by Sunday. So, that 's the time left for pre race RP if you want to keep the pace I guess.

2 Likes

Team Eberswalder Rennkollektiv

Johannes loaded the whole car trunk with “Pilsator” beer cans. Klaus was just shaking his head. “We want to go racing and not just drink beer for a week.” “You will thank me, once you see beer prices north of germany. Its literally liquid gold up in the north, maybe we can trade it for something when necessary.”, Johannes replied.

The drive to Sweden went without problems. Only on the bridges crossing the baltic sea, the guys could feel that the car was not well insulated, it felt like the window was open. The cold, humid air was pressed through every gap and seam. They realized that they had also never checked the heating system, when they rebuild the interior of the car. It was barely enough to warm ones hands holding them directly infront of the air outlets.

Music playing during the travel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaGGx4WIvs

Klaus was laughing, when he saw his grandson and his friend shaking. He said: “I could imagine whats coming. Thats why I dug out my old winter uniform from my time in the Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse. That will keep you warm even in russian winter.”
An unpleasant surprise was the necessary stop at the gasstation in Denmark.
Klaus: “1.92€ for gasoline, that should be forbidden. And I thought Germany would be already the most expensive in that regard.”
Alex: “And this car drinks more than Johannes, when he is in beer mood. I dont kow how this thing takes 9l?”
Klaus: “At least it never breaks, just check the oil regularly and it will run a million kilometers.”

Reaching the location of the race, Klaus punctured a rear tyre. A screw or something had been laying on the ground. Johannes took all the beer out from the trunk to get to the replacement tyre. “Klaus I think we forgot to check the replacement tyre. I dont think that will work. It say produced KW 20/1980. I think that’s the one that came with the car.” Klaus: “Are you really that stupid or just lazy, how you can go to a race without checking the tyres.” Alex: “Calm down, we will go to a store and check for new ones.” Klaus: “I will eat a broom if you find fitting tyres!”
Alex and Johannes cant find fitting tyres just as Klaus had already exspected. Alex: “I dont think anyone has the akward sizes from the GDR. They are all a bit wider than ours.” Johannes: Just get a set and lets go. That shouldnt be a problem, better wrong size than flat tyre. Take two and lets go, time to drink beer."

At the paddock they changed the rear tyres.

Klaus calls the Johannes and Alex: “If we win, I will share these with you.”
Sprachlos-Schachtel,_1989

Alex is laughing: “Sprachlos? (laughing) Sprachlos (speechless) is what you will become, when you try to smoke this. This is pure larynx cancer. They are already dry like dust. Where did you get these.”
Klaus: “Was a gift I got, when they gave me the activist of socialist labor order. I always wanted to spare them for a special event.”
Johannes: “We better get some new ones at the gas station later.”

3 Likes

While Chanty was cuddling again with the purring cat, forcing the poor animal to have to bear an extreme love overdose, Thomas, fueled by beer, unloaded his invention, the carbecue: An old Primus 4B64-18/1375 engine, turned into a grille.

Dad! Don´t tell me you also brought this here? I will ride home on Rudolph if you don´t stop doing drunk shit, really.

I guess you won´t… I mean, guess what the sausages are made of…

What do you mean?

Mmmmh, Rudolph will taste great. … Oh, ooooh, Chantal, please, stop crying… it was a joke! A JOKE!

Jan arrived, as he heard his beloved girlfriend crying.

Thomas! What the hell have you done?

My daughter hardly passed the primary school successful, so … well, I assume she didnt understand my joke.

Are you really wearing these old Primus overalls? That´s some cool mechanic cosplay. But you barely fit in that, it looks squeezed like… well… a sausage.

Some… what, Jan? Nevermind… I AM a mechanic. Anyway, you look like you just suffered from a famine, get something to eat, its almost ready!

Yeah, but looking at you I know whose fault the famine is!

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!! YOU ARE ONE MILLIMETER AWAY FROM THE RED CARD, MY FRIEND! Here, be a man and take over the grill, because I saw a Wartburg down there and I guess it´s time to talk about the good old GDR times, when people like you and my daughter ended up in prison.

Later that day, Chanty wrote something with lipstick on the car´s windshield.

Hey my love, why are you writing… “RHINO SQUAD”?

I saw someone writing things on the car with a spraycan… his friends said it´s Cody… well… and since we don´t have spraycans I use what I have…

But why are we nosehorns (rhinos)? Is my hor… eh, my nose that tall or what?

Eh, you know our name is Nilfert, and they all called me Nilpferd at school because I was chubby, so we are the rhinos.

Eww, Chanty, the english term for Nilpferd is hippo, not rhino. A rhino is a Nashorn.

Really? Ah, come on, I just cant speak english except for that what I need to for being cool and credible on Insta and Tiktok!

Soon, they heard a drunk Thomas awfully singing together with a weird group and a Wartburg.

AAAAUUUFERSTANDEN AUS RUINEN

BAU AUF BAU AUF BAU AUF, FREIE DEUTSCHE JUGEND, BAU AUF! FÜÜÜÜÜÜR EINE BESSERE ZUUUUUKUNFT RICHTEN WIR DIE HEIMAT AUF!

Chanty blushed from being ashamed, Jan facepalmed.

Really, he always complained about the problems he had with Stasi for having an own opinion, but now being old an drunk he glorifies that again? I guess that´s just boomer things…

4 Likes

Eberswalder Rennkollektiv

The wheels are fitted, the engine is checked. Klaus, Alex and Johannes realize that they need something to eat.
Alex: “Lets check Google Maps for a restaurant!”
Klaus: “Look at this guy and his grill. His number plates are from Leipzig. Must be east german, who else would construct such a selfmade madness. May be we should ask if he changes some of his thuringian sausages.”

As if the guy heard Klaus he suddenly came over. He came to ask them about the car and were they are from. Fast a talk about the GDR and their lifestories evolve between Klaus and Thomas. Klaus asked about the sausages and offered free beer and some glasses of Bellevedere Vodka for it. Thomas agreed and they started a small camp fire. Klaus talked about his time in the Kampfgruppen and how he got disappointed with the party later on, when society wanted reforms, but in power stayed the same old faces for twenty years. All culminated when his son in law didnt return from a business trip to West Germany and the Stasi was putting pressure on his daughter. “Enough was enough! I quit the party and all state organisations.” They continued talking about how the GDR could have been reformed, while drinkin their beers and smoking Belomorkanal Papirossi, that Alex’ neighbour always brings him, when he comes back from visiting friends in Russia.

In a beer fueled mood Thomas and Klaus start singing old songs from their time in the pioneers organisation. At last Thomas didnt look that emotionally unavailable anymore.

1 Like
Prologue

A little blue bird flutters about, flying between a feeder and a near by bush. After a mouthful of seeds it stops and stares at the camera aimed at it. The shutter snaps moments before it heads back to the shelter of the shrub. Mikaela smiles, admiring the photo on her camera. A ping comes from her pocket. Pulling out her phone, she finds a message from her boyfriend Benji. His real name is Benjamin, but everyone simply knows him as Benji.
“Hey, what you up to?” the message reads. “Oh, you know, just capturing the world going by,” Mikaela replies, “Why? What are you doing?”
“You remember David, my friend from the Trafikjournalen Discord? He’s coming up from the UK to help pick up a car we are thinking of entering in their 24h of Clunkers race. Would you like to join us?”
“Oh yeah, I remember David. That was the guy you went on the trip to Germany with, yes? Sure, I can join you. I’m out at the city park. Come and pick me up?”
“Sure thing! Ciya soon!”

20 minutes later a ice blue Torshalla Kattuge pulls into the parking lot. Benji hops out as Mikaela skips over and gives him a hug. “Hey love, missed you,” Benji says as as they untangle, “Ready to go? It’ll be a bit of a drive. David took the ferry to Gothenburg. So it’ll take us like one hour and a half down the E6.”
Mikaela scrunches up her nose. “All the way down there? Why does he not just take the train to meet us here?”
Benji smiles and squeezes her hand. “Well, because this will be an adventure! Besides, the car he found us is down there and he plans on following us back up here with it.”
“Ah, yes, an adventure,” Mikaela says sarcastically and rolls her eyes. “And I imagine he will be staying with us why you two work on this car then?”
Benji smiles sheepishly. “Err, yeah, that was indeed the plan. That would be OK, right?”
She pushes him away and puts her hands on her hips. “It would have been nice to know all this before your friend got here.” She sighs. “Yes, I suppose it’ll be alright. I guess he can sleep on the couch?”
Benji grabs her around the waist and twirls Mikaela around. “Ha! I knew it would be alright! Thanks hon.”
She giggles and snorts, “It’s lucky that you are cute. It’s the only reason I put up with you. So, what is this car you two are getting?”
Benji pulls out his phone and flicks up a photo.

“Ah! See, it’s an old McNamara National. A proper American muscle car. David found it on Facebook for cheap.” He glances down at his phone before adding, “Well, anyway, I suppose we should get going if we want to meet him in time. Let’s go!”

David stands on a pier, contently watching the waves splash on the rocks and breathing in the sea air. His phone beeps from his pocket. Glancing at the message, he sends a reply and begins walking towards the road. A few minutes later a familiar Kattuge pulls up to the curb. “David!” Benji exclaims as he exits the car, “It’s good to see you again friend! How was the trip up?”
“It was nice,” he replies matter of factly.
“It’s nice to meet you, David,” Mikaela says, “I’m Mikaela, Benji’s girlfriend. Benji’s told me about how much fun you two had on that road trip.”
David smiles, “Yeah, that was a pretty good trip. Right, should we get going? I have the address for the dude selling the car here. It looks to be on the other side of the city.” He hands his phone over to Benji as they climb into the car and take off.

A little while later three arrive at an old, run down looking farm house that appears to have been taken over by urban sprawl. David knocks on the door and is greeted by a hunched old lady. “Yes?” She asks uncertainly. “Good afternoon, ma’am. I’m David, I called you about the old car you’re selling a bit ago?”
“Oh yes! Come, come, it’s in the garage out back.” She grabs a coat and leads them around the house.
“It belonged to my husband. He had it imported from the US back in the 60’s. A lot of cars those days were,” she rambles. He drove it nearly every day, taking good car of it. My Ove passed away a few years ago. Our kids didn’t seem to what it, didn’t have the space at their apartment in Stockholm they said, so I decided to sell it. The nice young lady next door helped me put it on the Facebook."
She pauses for a moment while she unlocks the garage door. She flicks on a light and exclaims, “Well, here it is.”

The team is greeted to a sorry sight. “Is that the same car as what you showed me?” Mikaela whispers to Benji.
“Err, it was at one time,” Benji whispers back. David seems a bit less fazed by the car’s condition, walking around it, taking in it’s details. He clears off some of the junk that’s accumulated on it and opens the hood, poking around at the mechanicals. After a few moments he looks up at the owner and asks, “You were asking 15.000 kronor, yes?”
“Oh, yes, that seems a fair price, don’t you think? It’s an old car after all.”
“OK, I’ll buy it.” David pulls out an envelope from his jacket. “Good thing I stopped at the bank and exchanged some notes before hand.”
“Very nice of you. Now, let’s go inside and sort out the paperwork. Would you three like some tea?”

Flash forward a few weeks. After getting the car towed to Benji’s workshop, fresh fluids, a cheap set of wheels and tires, a handful of wiring, a bit of welding, a new gas tank, some leftover bits of sheet metal, and some vinyl decals, the National is starting to look like a proper race car.

“Well,” Benji says as he wipes his hands off on a rag, “Seems we should be ready to go racing, yeah?”
“It certainly looks like it will go fast,” Mikaela chimes in.
David looks a little hesitate before replying, “Yeah, well, the car certainly seems to be ready to go, or at least close enough.” He rubs the back of his neck. “But, uhh, there’s still the matter of the team. I’m not really sure if just the three of us will be enough to race the whole 24 hours. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I’d want to spend 8 hours behind the wheel.”
“So, you’re thinking we’d need more people on the team?” Benji asks.
“More than likely, yeah. I had asked some of the people I know back home if they’d join us, but not a lot of the guys I know in London are really all that into cars. Um, would you know of anyone who’d want to join?”
Benji thinks it over for a moment. “There’s a couple of guys who might be interested. But on such short notice? That I don’t know.”
Mikaela puts a hand to her chin before saying, “You know, I might have a friend who’d be interested.”
The other two look to her with surprise. “Oh? Could you call them and ask if they’d like to join us?”

Twenty minutes later the sounds of an Italian V8 echo around the neighborhood, followed shortly by the sight of a Vizzuri Laonda pulling up into the parking lot. A middle aged woman of Asian descent steps out of the sedan. “Kim! Hello!” Mikeala says as she embraces her friend in a hug. Turning to the others she introduces her. “Benji, David, this is Kim. She teaches art at the school near my apartment. We met at a photography seminar a few years back.” She waves at the boys. David gives her a puzzled glance. “An art teacher? What’s that have to do with cars?”
Kim arches her eyebrows and laughs. “Not much really, if I’m honest. But back when I still lived in the states I did do some amateur road racing events.”
“Whoa, really? Cool!”
“Indeed,” Kim sighs, “It certainly was. I love what I do, and I have no regrets moving here. But, it’s one of those things that never quite leaves you.” She suddenly gets serious. “So I hear you are in need of another driver?”
Benji pipes up, “Yeah. You see, we’ve been prepping a car for this 25 hour race that Trafikjournalen is hosting in like a week. Would you be interested?”
“What sort of car?”
“A McNamara National V8,” David answers. Kim’s eyes seem to sparkle. “Oh? A proper old school muscle car? Excellent.”
Benji laughs, “So, this is really happening, is it?”
Makeala wraps an arm around him, beaming at the three of them.
“Yes, it certainly looks that way.”

4 Likes

NOON - 4PM

Well, the first thing we notice is that the SED is taking off with spinning wheels, getting behind the pack in the start. The Kazhron and the VerBanka has some close contact with each other already at the first corner, slowing down the Kazhron a bit but not giving the VerBanka all that much trouble. Here comes the Crown Vic and….it takes a turn a bit wide here, we can see it spinning out but regaining control. The McNamara and then the Hakumai tries to follow the same path and it does not go exactly as well, they both have to chew some guardrail. The Bricklet goes on at a slow but steady pace, surprisingly slow it must be said, since it feels like if it should have some more to give. The Wartburg gives a light tap to the Primus, not resulting in much more than some light cosmetic damage to both of the cars. Trying to avoid getting into a tangle with them, however, the Elba does a little spinout.

Now it is time for the Ferdon to nudge the guardrail but with no major damage. The green Velocity taps the Arlington from behind, almost sending the Arlington off the track, with the driver from The Comedians Clique having a hard time to recover from that skidding, and meanwhile, even though there are no incidents, we have seen better driving than the one done by Team let’s get this bread and their Tarquini now, and it seems like even the Rhino Squad with their Primus is taking it a bit careful at the moment, so let’s just hope that the Wartburg driver won’t try to give it more speed again. The somewhat tipsy Caducus is taking a corner on two wheels but the driver manages to save the situation. When the McNamara brakes to save that situation, the Hakumai crashes into it from behind, albeit without sending it into the Caducus. The CAC spins out when trying to avoid getting into that tangle.

Entering a corner a little bit too quick, the SED gets into some small troubles, meaning that the Ferdon has to slow down to not play pool with the SED on the track. The driver of the Velocity reacts a little bit too late on this, panicking a bit, spinning out. Team Men of Wheels TDF hits the Primus in its rear corner, causing the Primus to spin out. In the same corner, history repeats itself almost immediately, the VerBanka hits the CAC in its rear corner, sending also the low weight CAC into a wild skid. Swerving to not hit the CAC, the Crown Vic munches some guardrail instead. The Hakumai doing the same thing at least only ends up in a wide slide and not in any crash damage. The next car that has to eat some guardrail to not end up in this inferno is the Bricklet. This tangle of more or less wrecked cars means that the Elba has to slow down a fair bit to be able to pass through.

The driver of the Velocity enters a corner a bit fast, and takes it with large amounts of understeer, barely making it through. The Highway Hooligans has kind of a hard time wrestling the large Bricksley around the track - but they do make it, at least for now. The same could not be said about the skidding Crown Vic, but at least there is no crash damage. Now, however, we actually have a crash between the Caducus and the Elba that looks a bit violent, at least for the lighter Elba, and the cars seems to be standing almost still for a while, but is soon up and going again, without, what it seems like, that big of a damage. Team Slow is for the moment living up to their name in their Hakumai, the V8 should be capable of more speed than we are seeing at the moment. The driver of the Bricklet seems to be tired of that, tries to pass the Hakumai, but realizes that there simply is not enough space, and has to rapidly slow down. The engine swap in the Wartburg seems to be overpowering the handling, to say the least, leading to some spectacular, but maybe less effective, driving.

The Ferdon is taking the turns a bit wide at the moment and….there it was a bit too much for it, it went into a skid but quickly recovered and was back on track. The driver of the Kazhron is taking it a little bit easier, a little more safe, and the same could be said about the McNamara. The Hakumai on the other hand does a spinout.

The Arlington scratches the guardrail slightly, without too much visible damage it seems like. And here comes the Tarquini at an alarming speed and….oh, it flips over but somehow manages to land on its wheels again, looking to be at a sad state, but seems to be OK enough to keep driving. The Highway Hooligans seems to have some serious trouble now with the Bricksley limo being quite unwilling to go through the corners. In an attempt not to hit it, the McNamara goes into a rather wide skid, so does the Hakumai. There is some guardrail nudging by the CAC.

Once again, the Velocity does some ugly tapping from the rear, this time of the ACR, but it does nothing but slowing down the green thing. The Bricksley and the Crown Vic gets into some close contact, but despite two heavy tanks crashing, they don’t create a black hole. The driver of the Carlisle has to swerve to not get into that mess and can barely handle it. Less lucky is the driver of the VerBanka that has to choose between taking some guardrail or getting into that pile, and chooses the former. The Seongu also spins out when trying to avoid everything. The Crown Vic on the other hand seems to be stuck in the Bricksley and is standing with spinning wheels for a while before taking off again. The driver of the McNamara somehow doesn’t seem to notice the Bricksley trying to take off after that tangle and hits it again, which seems to be like hitting a brick wall for the lighter car, no pun intended, but it seems like both cars still are driveable. Then the IP manages to avoid that mess just to hit the Carlisle taking off after its spinout. After a short moment of calmness, the MCP does a little tap on the Kazhron, but without too much damage to the cars it seems like. The Wartburg barely avoids hitting the MCP. The thirsty Newton is going in for its first fuel stop.

After this large of a mess, the driver of the Ferdon seems to take it extra carefully. It proves that the Kazhron isn’t really the best handling car on the track, seeing how it is a bit wobbly through the corners. We don’t know if the drivers of the Velocity and the MCP is trying to turn this into a demolition derby, but now they have hit each other. The MCP is starting to look a bit sad now, but the cars are still able to be driven by their own power at least. The TDF manages to barely avoid being the third car involved in the shunt. The Bricksley once again seems to cause some chaos by tapping the Uyemura, another rather unfair match involving the Bricksley, but at least yet both cars are still driveable. The next thing happening is the Rosewood hitting the Caducus, in what mostly seems to be a friendly tap just for fun though. The driver of the ACR seems to be a bit too optimistic with the speed through a corner and does a wild skid. Probably the driver of the Bricklet didn’t want to get into the same kind of trouble and instead took that same curve very carefully.

We are already 4 hours into the race and the standings are like following:

1. Team machinas con passione - MCP - Lap #265 @SurrealCereal
  2. Team Oxracers II - Seongu - Lap #264 @AndiD
  3. Team Rcket - Bricklet - Lap #259 @Sealboi
  4. Team Chitco - VerBanka - Lap # 255 @MrdjaNikolen
  5. The Comedians’ Clique - Arlington - Lap # 254 @Texaslav
  6. Team SRD - SED - Lap #253 @SCSI
  7. Team Slow - Hakumai - Lap #253 @interior
  8. The Spy kids - Rosewood - Lap #249 @SheikhMansour
  9. Team GRTTT - CAC - Lap #247 @Djadania
  10. The Rhino Squad - Primus - Lap #247 @Happyhungryhippo
  11. Team Trafikjournalen - IP - Lap #246 @Knugcab
  12. Team Eberswalder Rennkollektiv - Wartburg - Lap #245 @HermannMatern
  13. Team Daytona Dreamers - McNamara - Lap #245 @Maverick74
  14. Burned gasket endurance team - Carlisle - Lap #244 @Snarklz
  15. Team Shed Mechanics - Elba - Lap #242 @06DPA
  16. Team Stamppot, Saucijzen & Shitbox - ACR - Lap #242 @shibusu
  17. Team Dancing queen - Newton - Lap #240 @stm316
  18. Team Let’s get this bread - Tarquini - Lap #237 @Danicoptero
  19. Team Transporttjäns Eriksson AB Eslöv - Caducus - Lap #236 @WoodenPlankGames
  20. Team Bakewell Baguette - Ferdon - Lap #235 @Mythrin
  21. Team Green Speed Racing - Velocity - Lap #233 Chat GPT
  22. Team Polka Dots - Uyemura - Lap #223 @doot
  23. Team Men of Wheels - TDF - Lap #215 @Restomod
  24. Team Highway Hooligans - Bricksley - Lap #204 @Madrias / @Elizipeazie
  25. The Smith Brothers - Crown Vic - Lap #204 @DaBoss4344
  26. Team Timeloss - Kazhron - Lap #197 @Fayeding_Spray
10 Likes

Fixed the lap times, now they are correct.

1 Like

CHANTAL JOLINA NILFERT! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

No, dad , I won´t wear a helmet because I can´t use my headphones then and I want to listen to my music.

That´s not even music, that´s just noise. And you are supposed to keep contact over radio. Ah, what am I discussing anyway, A HELMET IS MANDATORY! I HAVE FUCKING HANGOVER AND YOU BETTER DONT STRESS ME, ARGH!

I don´t care. When I am livestreaming on Insta and Tiktok the followers can´t see me properly then, and…

Yeah, yeah, and you got nothing to protect up there anyway, I know… but please do your old man a favor. I even kept your ugly ass plush steering wheel cover in here, so JUST WEAR THAT HELMET!

Chanty accepted her fate and wore a pink helmet, and the cars started off. Despite still having a bit pain, she wanted to be the first to take part in the race, being the only of the three to drive two six-hour shifts. After six hours she would pass to Thomas, then Thomas to Jan, and for the last six hours Chanty again.

Thomas made a smart move by renting the cabin directly near the race track, so that they didnt need to sleep in an uncomfortable tent and will be fitter behind the wheel. But instead of sleeping, Thomas was glued to the window with his binoculars.

WHAT? YOU? YOU ARE RAMMING MY DAUGTHER? Nah! Look out what you are doing!

Thomas, what happened?

The Wartburg rammed her, but as far as I was able to watch it, it seems it wasn´t intentional, he braked too late and was surprised by sudden understeer. Good for them then! Nobody harms my little angel!

Thomas, this is about rough driving I thought, and you would be the first one to drive like a sledgehammer on flat tires.

Eh, THAT is something different!

Thomas cooled down until his daughter was spun out by the TDF, that hit was much harder than the Wartburg sliding into the rear, but held back by Jan who convinced him that both the car and Chanty are still unharmed. After some Marlboros, Thomas had his temper under control and decided to discuss reasonnable action: He showed Jan which tools to get in order to bend back some dented sheetmetal of the Primus Advance, in order to prevent bumpers or bent wheel arches to jam or slice tires.

6 Likes

Ah, Detho33 Cho, the best brand of racing seats on the market!

3 Likes

They were on special offer at Temu.

4 Likes

A solid car the Elba is, it still lost some bodywork in the incident. Most of the lights are still intact, nearly half of them work. Worse still was Harald’s neck, as he was hurt fairly bad. Apparently, he likes the Hans-device now. With Harald struggling to get out through the damaged door, the rest of the crew hammered the remaining bodywork before checking the suspension, and hammering that as well. The car did pull to the right a bit more than usual before pitting, and Abdullah hopes it’s better now as he gets into the driver’s seat to put his first stint in.

4 Likes

The Erikssons

Post 1 - Hours 1-4

Race Start

The start of the race goes pretty much without incident, although Elin has a few things to say about the handling over the radio.

“That ‘ballast’ you left in the back didn’t help much, I just almost went over! Make sure the others know about that before they get in, please.”

A while later, the Elba sends Aatto running for the radio.

“Elin, are you alright?!?”

The silence leaves a sense of dread for a moment before the reply comes.

“Just a bit stunned. Wish these other idiots would watch where they’re going.”

A sigh of relief in the pitbox is followed by a few more hours of uneventful racing until-

The 4 Hour Mark

The walkie-talkie crackles to life as Elin’s voice comes in loud, but not so clear.

“Alright team, that’s 4 hours, I’m coming in for our first stop this lap.”

4 Hours into the race, it’s time for our first pit stop. Elin’s been pushing it, so we’re running down on fuel, and Aatto’s been anxious to look over the car since that hit from the Elba and the later, less violent tap from the Rosewood.

“Alright, Elin’s on his way in - I’m going to make sure that hit from the elba didn’t do too much damage to the suspension, Linnea, you’ve got refueling, Sven, you take care of Elin. Grab a Gatorade, spare batteries for the walkie-talkie, you know the drill.”

A general cacophony of “Yes ma’am!” from the twins follows, as everyone gets themselves together.

Thankfully, due to the height of the van, Aatto doesn’t even need to jack it up to inspect the underside, and despite the lack of an undertray on the dirt track, as well as the few hits it endured, the Caducus seems mostly unmarred.

“Underside’s good, Lin?”

“Give me another 15 seconds and I’ll be done over here!”

“Good to hear, how’re you doing Elin?”

"I’m ready to go, you have the call-off Lin!

A few seconds later, as Linnea clicks the gas-cap in place, and waves to Elin, the Caducus is off again, spraying gravel at the cars behind - and linnea, still standing next to the van as it left.

“OW!”

4 Likes

Team Highway Hooligans

(Yes, this is just Jake’s POV of things - If we feel the need for pit-lane POV, we’ll do a proper collab.)

Behind the Wheel, Noon to 4 PM

As the green flag flies, Jake drops the Bricksley into drive and puts his foot on the floor. The pitiful I5 revs up and blows out a faint wisp of smoke from one of the two exhaust tips on the car, and the Bricksley advances at a “brisk medium forward” pace, rather than the hard charge Jake was anticipating. This, however, has been advantageous as he avoids driving into the back of Timeloss’ Kazhron within 30 seconds of the race’s start.

The first couple hours weren’t too bad for Jake, just trying his best to keep out of trouble. Of course, driving a car with the wheelbase of some city buses meant some compromises to handling, but so far, he’d avoided hitting anyone. However, he could feel the drag of the right-hand-drive setup on the wheel, making the already alarming understeer that much harder to deal with. Especially as the open differential and underpowered engine really didn’t want to cooperate and let him swing the ass end out - the shitty tires weren’t quite shitty enough for that strategy.

An hour later, Jake gets caught out staring at a rolling Tarquini tumbling across the track, nearly plowing into the barrier as he hooks the wheel, trying to make the corner. The shit-tastic cross-ply tires squeal like a 70’s car chase as Jake wrestles with the car, leaving barely enough room for a drifting McNamara and Hakumai to slide on by.

The sudden shunt of a car in his rear bumper gets Jake’s attention - He’s just been driven into by the Crown Vic, which tries to spin him out. Jake watches as the Carlisle narrowly avoids the battle of the Yank Tanks. A bang on the guardrail announces the VerBanka choosing between getting involved with two can openers while driving a tin can, or a little lost paint to the safety device. The Seongu squeals tires as it spins out, trying to avoid the huge roadblock thrown across the track. Finally, after realizing that all they were doing was making a track hazard and losing time, the Smith Brothers decide to quit driving into the Bricksley with the Crown Vic, and spin their tires as they take off. Jake puts his foot on the firewall, asking for the “brisk medium forward” again, getting an extra punch of acceleration as the McNamara bounces off the heavy steel-and-chipped-chrome rear bumper. He gets on the radio with a smirk. “Hey, thanks for the boost!”

Four hours in, Jake has a small opportunity, approaching a car that is a few positions ahead of him on the track. He aims the bash bar for the Uyemura’s rear bumper and stomps hard on the gas pedal. The tired automatic responds to the kickdown cable exactly as planned, and the 2.3 liter I5 bellows a war cry as the Bricksley advances a bit like an alligator - faster than it would lead you to believe it could go - and punts the Uyemura’s rear bumper with a bit of authority.

“Hello there!” Jake quips over the radio, giggling to himself as the smaller, lighter car scampers off in a hurry.

6 Likes

Team Highway Hooligans

(And now the collab with @Elizipeazie can begin.)

Highway Hooligans Pit Lane, Noon to 4 PM

As Jake leaves the line at a snail’s pace, Cody groans. “See, this is why the car needs a V8, Trev. It’s slow. A tired tipsy turtle could outrun it.”

Trevor shrugs. “It’s slow enough to not get into trouble, fast enough to not be last. See, we’re already ahead of the Russian Breadbox.”

“Finishing at all is better than glory-running for a couple of laps and running it into a wall and getting stuck there. In any case, if I am to make it six hours in an aluminum bathtub with no padding whatsoever, i better be as well rested as can be. I shall be at the truck to take a nap.” Valentin comments, already dabbling around on a sleek watch worn on his left wrist before heading off to do as announced.

Cody shrugs. “See ya in about 5-ish hours.”

With Val now off to bed, Cody and Trevor settle in to watch the chaos. Cars crash into each other or spin out, the guardrail collects a few stripes of paint, and the two casually point out things that each driver is doing wrong.

As the Tarquini rolls over, Cody shouts out, “Hey, look, a tumbleweed!”

Trevor gets a good chuckle out of this, though grimaces as Jake squeals the tires on the Bricksley. “Damn it, take it easy on the tires! You do that to one of the retreads, you’re going to leave pieces behind!”

“Do we really have retreads?” Cody inquires.

“There’s two in the Really Shit tire pile. Basically, use 'em if it’s a choice between not finishing, or getting a few laps in.”

Not long after, the Crown Vic tries to PIT maneuver the heavy Bricksley.

“Steer into the skid!” Trevor yells, aware that Jake probably can’t hear him.

Cody grabs the radio instead. “Next chance you get, put that fucker in the wall!”

When the McNamara punts the limo, Trevor reaches for the radio, only to hear Jake jokingly replying “Thanks for the boost!” which was proof enough he was okay.

4 PM rolls around quick, and Trevor watches as Jake aims the Bricksley like a massive motorized missile at the smaller Uyemura. Sure enough, he hears the engine respond, watching as the Bricksley accelerates a bit quicker than anticipated, and gives the Uyemura a decent shunt.

“Hello there!” Jake quips.

“God damn it, Jake! We told you before, spin 'em out, don’t ram 'em!” Trevor yells into the radio.

5 Likes