The 2023 Trafikjournalen 24h of clunkers - (END OF RACE!)

Unfortunately, I am a bit late on the ball, game updates, COVID, ARM, QFC, things that had to be done before the snow, work, yeah, all of that. But better late than never, here comes the 2023 edition of the thread.

THE IDEA BEHIND THIS
Now, after all those years, many people have already learned what this yearly challenge is all about. However, newcomers or people that haven’t been into this before, here is a small explanation.

The Swedish magazine “Trafikjournalen” has for many years been running a 24 hour endurance race for pure shitboxes. If you’re lucky, your car survives that abuse. If you’re even more lucky, you will become the one that has the most laps after 24 hours, and win the race. Yes, think of it a bit like a LeMons style event, but well, a bit more rough going I guess, this event is actually mainly not inspired by LeMons but by a similar challenge that was actually being ran by a Swedish car magazine in the 80s and 90s.

Check video for inspiration, sorry not sorry for the language of Bork.

There are threads for the earlier events, they show a bit how this works, however, the rules will be undergoing a big change this year, so don’t look too much into them.

HARD RULES:
Car model, trim, family and variant has to be 2013 or older. Engine family and variant does not have to match the car, but an obvious engine swap may be punished (see further below)

The body should resemble a normal, street driven passenger car or light truck. No buses, heavy duty trucks, motorcycles, aeroplanes, open wheel racers, milkshake blenders or whatever else you may find.

No carbon fibre panels. Fiberglass will get a slight crash penalty.

No glued alu or carbon fibre chassis.

No more than 8 cylinders.

No magnesium or billet blocks.

No billet cranks or titanium rods.

Turbocharged engines can run a maximum of 0.8 bar of boost.

No race intakes or headers.

Only hard long life tyres allowed.

No carbon ceramic discs. Max 5% of sportiness brake fade.

Max one front and one rear aero fixture. They must be visually attached to the car. No positive downforce (as seen in the performance tab). No more than 50 engine cooling.

Race interior. Only a drivers seat needed. Standard AM to simulate communications equipment.

At least some kind of advanced safety (age not important), to simulate the weight from a cage.

Weight distribution slider can be touched freely. Weight optimization slider should be at 50 or higher value (you can make it lighter, not heavier).

Viewed in sportiness mode. pring rates has to be (very preliminary, can be changed) at least 1.2 Hz and dampening rates has to be at least 0.25.

Max P/W ratio (as seen in the performance tab) 0.1 (preliminary, can be changed).

TP AND QUALITY
Maximum total TP cost: $19M for car, $8M for engine, no negative techpool (based on default but allows for some adjustments).

Quality sliders does not have any hard limits, but unrealistically high quality might give disadvantages when it comes to reliability modifiers, and I reserve the right to bin shitposts like +15 quality everywhere on an 80s 3 cylinder hatchback.

PRICE AND ET LIMITS?
No, and I will explain why later.

FUEL, EMISSIONS, LOUDNESS
Unleaded Premium to make stuff easy (since you can now run it in all model years). Don’t sweat emissions and loudness too much, it’s beaters that might have non-working emission systems and rusted out mufflers anyway.

SOFT RULES
Any unrealistic engineering for what the car is will result in condition penalties (will be explained later) in the actual areas. I won’t be too harsh there, but if the car looks like a 1983 Daihatsu Charade and has a V8 and active suspension, expect it to be punished…

That is also true for tyre sizes that should be realistic for the type and age of car. No definitive limits, but if they are too far off from the truth, expect your tyres to have absolutely shit condition and risk breakdowns. If you are unsure, google similar IRL cars and see what they are running. If they are around 155/70R13, 255/40R18 is probably not what you should be running.

TEAM RULES
A presentation and name of your team is required along with the car. It doesn’t have to be very advanced. Also, to avoid what happened at SR 2023, ANY NON-HUMAN CHARACTERS WILL REQUIRE PERMISSION FROM ME AS A HOST! So, if you are planning to run any, contact me before you make your decision in that case.

SO, HOW ABOUT THE PRICING OF THE CAR THEN?
I have realized that Automation prices doesn’t reflect used car values very well. There are also costly options that doesn’t affect either performance or used car values. You could probably build a Lotus Elise inspired track weapon for the same price as many family cars. Hence, I will totally skip the price limit. But, when doing your car presentation, YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE CONDITION OF THE CAR! The fancier, the sportier, the more important it is. You should be able to get a similar car for around $1500 AMU or less, and yes, I know that is hard to translate into real world money, so use your imagination a bit. If it is an 80s hatchback with 54 hp, not much of an explanation will be needed, if it is an early 10s sports car, it really has to be a lemon. I will use your explanations to calculate the condition of different subsystems in the car. If the car seems to be too fancy to be bought cheap in the condition you describe it, I might give it more penalties than you have counted with. If it is borderline too fancy to fit in at all, I might tell you to do something else, but if it is downright a Porsche 959 from Wish, you should have known better and I will bin it at the spot.

BWAAAAHHHH THAT SOUNDS UNFAIR!
I promise to try to be as fair as I can to everyone. Since this is a role play heavy challenge, I see it as I am actually allowed to have some power as a GM. A somewhat similar system worked in SR, and if there is a price limit, people will just do all they can to squeeze out everything from it. Now, you actually have to think a bit more about what you’re making.

OK, BUT HOW WILL THE RACE MECHANICS WORK THEN?
Basically the idea is that the one that has made the most laps in 24 hours is the winner. The second lap time from the Höljes track will be used as a basis for your car. So, just make a car that does great lap times then?

Well, it is not that easy. Every 30 minutes some rolls will be made. The more reliable your car is, the less chance it is for a breakdown that will cost you time, or in worst case, end your race altogether. The more driveable your car is, the less chance it is for, in best case, worse lap times and in worst case, a crash that may require a pitstop or end your race altogether.

There are a number of subsystems, and a roll will determine which one that will risk a breakdown. What you have said about the condition of the car will affect how much of a risk every subsystem have to breakdown. Adding to that, every car will have one “dark secret” that nobody will know about (that may or may not breakdown during the race). But the entirely randomized condition is gone now.

Another thing that will take 5 minutes off your time is fuel stops, so a fuel sipper may spare you time compared to a gas guzzler. Every car will be running a 50 litre tank to make it simple, and even if automation average figures is not the most realistic for racing, they will be used for simplicity.

TL:DR - focus on:
Lap times on the Höljes track (link some posts below)
Reliability
Driveability
Fuel economy
(Honestly speaking, nothing is really important except for them, but min-maxing that hampers realism is not encouraged)

OK, I GET IT, BUT IF I HAVE TO ROLEPLAY I WON’T PARTICIPATE!
I won’t force anyone into roleplaying, but honestly speaking it is more than half the fun of a challenge like this, and it doesn’t matter if you write a lot or just a brief overview of what happened, it is always better than nothing, and most people are better at writing than they believe themselves, so I suggest you to dare to try anyway, but it is still totally up to you how little or much (or at all) you want to take part in the RPing.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT KIND OF CARS THAT MIGHT BE ELIGIBLE IF I CAN’T MAKE A SUPERCAR!

Oh, there are lots.

Is a dependable and light little fuel sipper your thing?

Or do you want to take a step up?

Nah, screw it, I want bigger

I SAID BIGGER!

Or, maybe I want to gamble on reliability to get something sportier?

240sx-story_055

Old luxury cars gives you a lot for the money - until they break in horrific ways

But maybe it was better in the good old days when cars could be repaired with a hammer and whatever you found on the ground?

Commercial vehicles? If something can survive white van man, it can survive 24h!

So don’t tell me alternatives doesn’t exist, one of the most hilarious parts of 24h has without a doubt been the mix of cars with everything between heaven and earth.

And yes, I am aware that some of the cars shown aren’t cheap in pristine condition, so…explain why your autoverse equivalent isn’t pristine if you’re making something similar.

MAN, SOUNDS GREAT, I WISH THERE WAS A DISCORD SERVER FOR THIS!

And your wish is my command. I actually suggest you to join if you have interest in the challenge, even if you absolutely doesn’t have to:

DIDN’T YOU FORGET LOTS OF STUFF?

Probably, but I wanted to get this one out during the weekend, hence I will have a rather long rules delib. So, give me as much input as possible, and if you can join the discord it is even better.

LONG RULES DELIB? SO, WHAT ARE THE DEADLINES AND SUCH THEN?
Submissions will start on sunday the 17th of december, 5 PM CET.
Submissions will (preliminarily) end on friday the 5th of january, 5 PM CET. I hope that’s long enough to get christmas etc. out of the way (since that might give some people more time than usual, some people less).
Due to the OB not being merged into stable yet, deadlines might be subject to change and resubmissions might be allowed, if things does happen

Naming conventions, car model/trim: 24h - yourname / Name of the car
Naming conventions, engine family/variant: 24h - yourname / Name of the engine.

TRACK LINK, PLEASE!

CLAIMED STARTING NUMBERS
1 - @SurrealCereal
7 - @stm316
12- @Danicoptero
13 - @Djadania
16 - @Maverick74
17 - @WoodenPlankGames
23 - @Knugcab
25 - @doot
35 - @Mythrin
38 - @Sealboi
60 - @Happyhungryhippo
66 - @Texaslav
69 - @Madrias
86 - @GetWrekt01
339 - @Fayeding_Spray
420 - @interior

17 Likes

YES! Are there any livery reqs?

Nah, but you can always claim and throw on a starting number. However, with the new custom textures giving new possibilities, I would like to say to keep them free from NSFW contents and such, thanks!

3 Likes

Might be misreading this rule, so asking for clarification - If I have a 1970’s car, does that mean I’m not allowed to swap in a 1990’s engine?

If so, I’m going to have to tweak the car I have quite a bit… 1965 with a 1970 trim, and a 1990 engine/variant.

That was the original plan, but on the other hand, you made me think a bit. Since there is the “have been tinkered with” part here, I think I could allow newer drivetrains after all - but it will by then be hit by the condition penalties a bit more. A remaining thing from past 24h runs that maybe isn’t that relevant anymore. I am willing (and leaning towards) to change it but I will give others a chance for input there too. Rules delib is still going on some days, after all…

4 Likes

I mean, worst case scenario, I’ll just swap in an older I6 - It’s still a car put together from several different cars in a junkyard.

Was never intended to be highly competitive, after all, but I know how some people might use it to push the limits of what’s reasonable.

Well, it’s not just about if your car will pass or not, the thought is interesting, and it would actually be a way to evolve this challenge towards “freedom of choice, but at a cost”…

1 Like

It all sounds fine except the ban on weight sliders. The nature of the entrant cars is such that there should be a fair number of hatchbacks and wagons, but the absurd and illogical weight penalty on those bodies got even worse with the last update. The slider isn’t enough, but certainly better than nothing.

Older engines make little sense too, from a realism perspective.

4 Likes

Agree with moroza. Maybe a reliability penalty if moved to extremes or something?

Might change that since they don’t do much difference after all

Ok time to be mega boring and just max out all the stats described as being important

Can we have more quality slider allowance and TP? With price being basically “determined by RP”, it’d be nice to make cars which actually feel at the tech level my company puts out

You were the one complaining about too much TP last year. :rofl: But I can see the difference for sure.

Yeah, but 10mil in a game where the default tech distrib is like 65 and the alotted years are up to '13? naw

1 Like

Yeah, might crank it up, I guess I was too stuck in the “too good” cars from last year. Now I actually have thought of ways to counteract that.

Hi, are mod bodies allowed, not like meme ones, but there is a Sharan mod body I might use if allowed.

They are.

Claiming 420.

2 Likes

Please log me in for the 60… You know why…

I’m assuming it refers to the sum of the techpool and lab cost if I am not mistaken.