The Best 4 Cylinder Engines Ever Made!

I want YOU to make a short presentation about your (choise) top 4 cylinder engines of all time!

Power and potential according to displacement and in general is the name of the game!

Ps. We all love pictures.

My contribusion to this thread will be the largely unknown (internationally, at least performance wise) Volvo Red Block platform.

The B2x (Red Block) platform was standardised in a lot of Volvo’s in 1976 and was in production until 1998 so it has been on the market for a shitload of years. This engine platform was the base design of a 2.0l 8v , a 2.1l 8v NA and Turbocharged model, 2.3l NA 8v, 16v and Turbocharged model.

The real magic of this engine is the amount of configurations it came in and the bore and stroke potential it has. In fact, you can bore and stroke the standard B23 (2.3l) engine block to a full 3.0 litres!! If you could get a hold of a limited number EVO engine block (Based on a Volvo Penta design and externally identical to the standard B23) you can bore it even more, which can give you a maximum displacement of around 3.2 litres!

the engine block itself can be compared to the BMW 2.3l 16V of the E30 M3 or the 2.3l, 2.5l Mercedes 190E 16V in size so it fits in almost any FR configuration (Hell, I even know of guys that has put these in early Toyota Starlets and in the rear of VW Beetles!).

As you know the E30 and the 190E ran in DTM with respectively 320HP (BMW)and 375HP (190E 2.5l 16v AMG). Now imagine if those engines could be stretched to 3.2 litres?! Well, this is what the Volvo Red Block can do! In a High - End 16 valve naturally aspirated configuration the Volvo Red Block Engine is capable of producing over 400HP with less revs per minute and more torque than any of the BMW/MB alerternatives, and that is just astonishing!

http://www.motordesign.se/bilder/1_2009-11-09093111_88016v%20nov%209%20kopiera.jpg

Imagine a 3.2 litre, 4 cylinder, naturally aspirated engine with around 400 horsepower mounted in a Honda S2000 or a Toyota AE86 :slight_smile:

VTEC engines are the best ever made lol

You’re both wrong, it’s the BMW M12/13.

The engines were built with the same cast iron blocks as the lowly 1.8L, 98hp M10, but with bespoke DOHC heads, bomb-proof internals and a very, very large turbocharger. In qualifying trim the 1.5L engine made as much as 1500hp at 11,500 rpm on toluene/heptane fuel and 80+ psi of boost (nearly 100 psi absolute).

PS: Devs, please give us a cheat code for DevMeth and 6 Bar boost limits in the sandbox mode. Pleeeease? :cry:

I want that engine in my car RIGHT NOW, Germany…HERE I COME!

[quote=“oldgreg”]You’re both wrong, it’s the BMW M12/13.

The engines were built with the same cast iron blocks as the lowly 1.8L, 98hp M10, but with bespoke DOHC heads, bomb-proof internals and a very, very large turbocharger. In qualifying trim the 1.5L engine made as much as 1500hp at 11,500 rpm on toluene/heptane fuel and 80+ psi of boost (nearly 100 psi absolute).

PS: Devs, please give us a cheat code for DevMeth and 6 Bar boost limits in the sandbox mode. Pleeeease? :cry:[/quote]

This is from the legendary F1 Turbo years :slight_smile: Awesome engine. I read somewhere that these engine blocks were often laid outside for month’s to make 'em stronger so that they could handle the power :slight_smile:

But… In my opinion, turbochargers are almost the same as cheating :slight_smile: If you have enough money, you can almost just name a HP number and someone will deliver…

They were left outside because there was no room for them inside, there were just too damned many of the things laying around. These were throw-away engines and each car (there were six of them) went through several engines on each race weekend so the engine builders had to keep an ass-ton of inventory on hand. And since all the blocks would be milled, bored, shot peened etc. before assembly a little surface rust wasn’t going to make any difference. Legend has it, though, that the mechanics would go around back and pee on the blocks for good luck.

The neat thing is that they used production blocks out of used road cars with about 60,000 miles on the odo., on the basis that the heat cycling of daily use would have normalized any residual stresses within the metal from the casting process.

Probably also on the basis that if they were going to crack anywhere they’d have done it already.

Daffy are you chickening out of adding 6 Bar boost and Dev Meth back in the game???

I want Dev meth so I can have a 662 cu in big block with a 15:1 cr without it exploding on the dyno after 1500rpms.
Oh and one other thing is there going to be a diesel option anytime in the future? I would love to have the ability to make a diesel car because we all know that smaller cars need massive amounts of torque for no apparent reason whatsoever :smiley:

Diesels will be added sometime after release - maybe as a DLC.

And it will take time before the diesels are released, if i understood it right. they will make a total new engine designer for diesels.

And i agree with oldgreg, that BMW engine is one of the most fascinating engines the car industry have ever produced.

The best 4cyl ever made was the 4g63T found in Talons Eclipses Lasers and EVOs up until the evoX plus a bunch of other vehicles they are easily known to run 1000 hp now adays

I think that the best 4cyl is Nissan SR20DET. It is cheap, reliable, and can go over 500 horsepower with proper forged pistons. It is great for cheap track or drift car builds, and it is easy to fix.

For me, the obvious choice for multiple reasons is the Mitsubishi Sirius engine, specifically the 4G63/4G64, which are practically interchangeable in every sense.

The displacement of the 4G6 series ranges from 1.6L to 2.4L and covers both gasoline and diesel engines. The largest aftermarket displacement is 2.6L and has been done on multiple cars. It first appeared in 1979 in the Lancer, and is still produced to this day. If you’re looking for one of the most influential I4’s of all time, note that the 4G6 motor has appeared in almost every Mitsubishi model since the 80’s, Hyundai and Kias, Dodges and Chryslers, as well as Eagle, Plymouth and a few Chinese brands. The current 4B11 in the Evo X, an all-aluminum I4 finding its roots in the 4G63, is a GEMA (Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance) motor, being the basis for many modern Chrysler and Hyundai motors. The 4G63 appeared in multiple sportscars: Evo I-IX, Eclipse, Talon, Laser, Conquest, Starion, Galant VR4, etc., winning the WRC four years in a row from 1996-1999.

That being said, let’s talk about the versatility of these motors. There were two variants: Sirius I and Sirius II. The earlier Sirius I motors were found in early Evos and DSMs, and were mounted on the driver-side of the engine bay. The Sirius II, found in the later Evos and Eclipses, are mounted on the passenger side. The only known reliability issue was that late model Sirius I motors (7-bolts specifically) were prone to crankwalk. Generally, many Sirius I parts are interchangeable, same for Sirius II parts. For example, a DSM wanting a stroker 4G63 could pull the 100mm crank out of a 4G64, or a SOHC DSM could pull the head off either a 4G63 or DOHC 4G64. Kia and Hyundai really made these motors cheap by molding NA versions and using them in the Optima and Sonata, very common family cars. An Evo 8 head from a yard will run you $500+. I got an (almost) complete Sonata head for only $120! If an Evo 8 wanted a stroker they could pull 100mm crank, or the entire block, out of a Galant, Optima, Sonata, or Eclipse. Every exhaust manifold pattern was the same on every Sirius motor. This makes turbocharging any given motor very simple and easy (especially considering even many N/A variants came with low-compression). Transmissions for Sirius I engines, again, are interchangeable, meaning it’s a bolt-on job to change a 2G Eclipse Spyder to AWD. Same for Sirius II, making it easy (though somewhat harder than the 2G) to convert a 3G Eclipse to AWD with minimal fabrication needed. Theoretically you could add MIVEC to any non-MIVEC Sirius II by dropping on a 4G69 SOHC MIVEC head or 4G63 DOHC MIVEC head.

Aftermarket support is where the 4G6 motor thrives. At least two companies make stroker kits, and parts are so commonplace that prices plummet. When you have your choice between several dozen different turbo manifolds of varying flange, material and mount, why pay top dollar? Let’s talk about tuning… Rather than set up a standalone or wire in a piggyback, most Mitsubishi models, specifically 4G63/4G64-equipped vehicles, are compatible with extremely cheap software (such as EvoScan and ECUflash, which are both aimed at Mitsubishi) that allows reasonably accurate tuning for one-fifth the price of a piggyback or one-tenth the price of a standalone. Every Evo, Eclipse, and DSM typically tunes this way unless they’re aiming for very high numbers. Now back to parts, almost every part of the 4G63 has a wide array of aftermarket available. Cams? High lift. Harmonic dampener? Fluid. Bottom end internals? Forged. Timing belt? Kevlar. Intake manifolds? Too many to name. Turbo manifolds? WAY too many to name. Thermostats, head internals, mounts, wastegate springs, downpipes, piping, BOV’s, MAF conversions… Hell, they have aftermarket valve covers! LOL In terms of fuel there’s dozens of brands of injectors ranging from 450cc all the way up to 2000cc. There’s even a few double fuel pump kits for 4G63-equipped vehicles. Note that if you’re building a Supra, for the same type of parts, you’d have to pay 3x as much. Supra manifolds start at well over a grand. If you’ve ever heard of AMS (the shop that makes the GT-R Alpha packages), they have built many crazy fast Evos. Just look up AMS Evo on YouTube.

Lastly, configurations of the engine. The 4G63 comes in every possible front-mounted drivetrain configuration: FF, FR, and AWD. It’s easily possible to build a RWD 4G63 dragster or convert a FWD to AWD. Even if you don’t wish to go with OEM parts, there’s a guide to adapting a FF 4G63 to AWD. I’ve seen many various swaps both in person and online: FD RX7, several Civics, new edge Mustang, I mean come on, look at this Porsche swap:

images.turbomagazine.com/images/ … ne_bay.jpg

Here’s the AMS 4G63 defeating a stroked RB26, SR20, LS7, F22 and VQ35 in Castrol’s HP/L challenge (note it also defeated everything else in raw power except the twin turbo LS7 by a small margin):
amsperformance.com/builds/castro … -challenge

And if you’re still not convinced, watch a 4G63-powered Eclipse run a 6-second 1/4 mile:
youtube.com/watch?v=oHv_jKJVQ-Q

edit: There, I did a short presentation just like you asked… :smiley:

1 Like

I think the best 4 cyl motor is the FJ20ET, it was made to be a race engine and has a better flowing head than the 4G63, possibly the best flowing 4 cylinder, it has extremly strong internals and was replaced by the ca18 because the fj cost too much to build and did not pass emission laws, they also finished a 1.5L version to be used in F1 but as soon as it was finished they changed the rules for F1.

I don’t even care, to be honest, lol. My dream car is an E30 M3… without the S14.

I’m not saying they don’t have their place in the automotive world, and some are truly great pieces of equipment… I just don’t really want one.

That said, if I absolutely had to have one, I’d want the 2007 WRX STI. That car used to really tug my heart strings… but by the time I could afford one it was too late. And now I can’t afford one again, lol.

I also really liked the Evo VIII and IX.

Since everybody blows his own horn, here’s my entry in this concours d’puissance :wink:.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/6802/dsc07373ne7.jpg

Classic FIAT Twin-Cam also known as Lampredi DOHC. Made between 1966 and 2000, ranging from 1,3 65 hp in 131 Mirafiori to turbocharged 2,0 215 hp used in Delta Integrale Evoluzione II. Reliable and fairly easy to tune. Widely and successfully applied in motorsport: in Fiat 131 Abarth - n/a 2.0 215 hp, Lancia Rally 037 - supercharged 2,1 325 hp and Lancia Delta S4 - twincharged 1,8 350 hp (or unrestricted, 5 bar boost, with up to 1000 hp). It’s also worth to mention the Lancia ECV prototype which sported ‘triflux’ head with unusual port layout - one exhaust manifold on each side and intake manifold in the middle, a bit like in vee-engines - giving the bi-turbo 1,8 engine a power output of over 600 hp.

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3968/ecv10wx.jpg

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo engines. Nuffin’ more to say.

C20XE, used in Opel Vectra and Calibra.

http://static1.tunezup.com/storage/server1/63/44/74/1c/745-0-w/6344741cd2-opel-calibra-c20xe-150pk.jpg

Another vote for Sr20, other engines may be stronger or more high tech (4g63/Vtec yo) but nothing is as widely used in engine conversions to make Bulk horsepower with response for such a low cost. Truly a Legendary engine such as 4g63 and KA20 but more of the every day champion… Using the VE head it also has Massive Power potential well over 500hp+.