The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’m looking forward to you opening a new thread for it. I honestly wanted this challenge to be fleshed out and came to life in CSR. But it is what it is. Cool idea man.

@HighOctaneLove
I’ve got no problem with you opening it up in a new thread sometime later on. Just, um, possibly revise the ‘good ol boy’ rules so that it’s not pushrods required, or it won’t end up with much of any entries, because it’ll end up beaten by literally everything else.

(No, seriously, I used the same body, compared my SOHC 4V 5.7L V6 against a Pushrod 7L V8, I both made less power and went slower overall with the V8.)

2 Likes

@HighOctaneLove Would love to see the idea more balanced later on, doing it on the wangan track could help a lot actually, as high-speed cornering becomes a factor aswell. :smiley:

Well, I’m happy to take up the round master role.
Details to the “Trackday Bro” challenge will follow soon.

6 Likes

Trackday? did you say TRACKDAY?? boy do i feel excited

3 Likes

I remember the last time CSR had a trackday theme: it was in CSR11, hosted by @DeusExMackia, and won by @oppositelock; although I didn’t enter, I was amazed at the immense variety of the entrants’ submissions!

2 Likes

CSR39.2:TRACKDAY BRO’

The year is 2017 and I’m looking at getting a second car to use in trackdays and for some good old general weekend fun.

What matters to me the most is both how much damn fun I can have with the car by driving it on the edge, but without doing pirouettes as I tap the gas, and both if it can post a decent time around Zolder, the local track around here. Fun is the most important of the two and doesn’t solely depend on the sportiness stat. It’s quite likely that I do not need over 350 HP/tonne, especially for a lightweight car.

Ofcourse this world isn’t as simple that only fun and speed matter, I also need reliability and economy. 95 RON fuel is used, 98 optional. Economy I need both to possibly drive to tracks further away, and on the track to not immediately burn my wallet dry. Economy on the track means, that using the efficiency graph I’ll also look at the fuel burn in the attack rpm range of the engine, this range often is 2/3rd of max rpm to max rpm, but may depend on the gearbox used.

Tyre wear also is a factor! Don’t go insane with the camber, -1,5 is becoming pretty high, and over -2 just chews tyres like mad.

Comfort is welcome, but not needed, atleast I’d like some radio to drive to the track, but maybe it’s worth ditching if your car is so ridiculously lightweight. Sport seats are encouraged as these prevent the driver from being tossed around in the car and prevent me from becoming shaken, not stirred.

Until 300 HP I prever having the power down a single axle, above 400 I’d prefer a fun AWD, in between it largely depends on the driveability.

Let’s get to the pricing: I made this price calculator yesterday inspired on others’, the budget is 15,000 according to the “price now” in the calculator. Download it or make a copy of it to your own google docs. Cheaper is better, definitely if you want me to do modifications by going down the two trim method (see below), but if you can make it worthwile, crossing the limit by a bit is allowed aswell.

it seems to behave okay from my testing, the “niche factor” is meant to try estimate how big the market for the car was upon release, prestige will cause the car price to drop faster initially, but go up faster later on. Sporty cars retain their value better due to purposes like Trackdays and enthusiasts.

It is allowed to make two trims of the car: One as which it was sold, and a second with the modifications you would suggest doing to the car (but still in the same trim year as the original trim). Bear in mind though: modifications are more pricey than if it came original with the car, require effort, and never will be as reliable as it would be OEM. The trade-off could be worth it though, as mentioned earlier: sporty cars tend to lose their value slower.

The deadline is 30 April 11:59 PM CEST

As usual atleast a small ad in the topic is required, standard submittion naming applies:
Model: CSR 39 - <Username> Trim: <Manufacturer name> - <Car name> (Optional suggested modifications trim: MOD) Engine Family: CSR 39 - <Username> Engine Trim: <Engine name> (Optional suggested modifications engine trim: MOD)

A filled in price calculation of the spreadsheet is not required, I’ll have to do these myself anyhow to prevent cheating.

Good luck! Questions for clarification are always welcome.

17 Likes

Oh my god. There’s only one car I can make with this challenge. That is in a good way.

BRING ON THE BEST

3 Likes

I’ll make some modifications, and a certain 5.7L engine will finally get to shine.

Out of curiosity, @Dragawn, is there any particular color you’d prefer? Or just go with what I think looks best for the car?

2 Likes

Whatever works best for the car, as long it’s not hot pink :smile:

2 Likes

So, the car can be from any year, with any body style?

I like the freedom.

4 Likes

Correct! but beware that old cars may already be below their lowest secondhand price depending on the prestige. :wink:
I hope that everyone can enjoy this challenge.
EDIT: Oh, and model year has to be roughly equal to the trim year ofcourse

3 Likes

What is a decent lap time for driving at Zolder for you?

1 Like

I’m not at my computer, but looking at CSR3 around 2 minutes should be a decent time for a trackday car, ofcourse faster could be better.

Oh, perfect. That’s actually something reasonable, and I think I can manage that with my nice ‘little’ V6 RWD car.

1 Like

Just a quick thing.

Is this worth $611 or $611,000?

8 Likes

611, sorry, I probably should fix the decimals on that :joy:

Good to know!

##1996:Midnight Project Canceled

After realizing the cost of testing for just 3 months,Ernie had to throw in the towel.It was unbearable,but he had a backup plan.It would help build its foundation on being an all-rounder company.
#To be reviewed soon,The Birth of the Highway Track car.

##The 1996 Zast Super Ethos

(yes it was under 15000 so within budget,but the fuel economy is meh-ish)

5 Likes

@abg7 Thanks for bringing that up :smiley: Really like these regulations @Dragawn, and as abg said, you will (hopefully at least) get a really variety of entries

2 Likes