The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Yeah same here, though in reality few companies do this for real world supply reasons, it seems. We used to have lots of aluminium. In the first half of the 20th century. Then like 90% of it got used up to make lots of WW2 aircraft or something.

Maybe somebody with a bit more time/knowledge of history can tell us the actual figures :joy:

Yes, please, if anyone can help out here it would be much appreciated. I really want this work for the sake of company history - it needs to be our ā€œbig thingā€ of the 21st Century. The whole reason we made the Tauga in the first place!

1 Like

Itā€™s a model by my soon to come second company, the model name is actually AM260 (I mean, I fucked up, it was supposed to be called EM250 :neutral_face:)

1 Like

Nice. Is there an ETA for when this company is going to launch or are you waiting 'til UE4?

2 Likes

Your father had one and it rusted away, so that makes them all crap?

Also going off your logic, ANY car can be a drift car if you try hard enough. If thatā€™s what our junior exec wanted, all he needed was a diesel Avensis with worn out Wanlis on the rear.

23 Likes

I didnā€™t expect the Eccelsa to get in the top 10, let alone win! Thanks @Leonardo9613 for the great round, it was really fun building a car for this.

Now for the next roundā€¦ i would be willing to host, if anything just to finish it this time. It all depends on how well i plan my studying and reviewing stuff. If i do host it, it could involve a category of cars a lot of people here dislike.

In case hosting this round becomes impossible though, iā€™d like to know if anyone else is interested in hosting.

9 Likes

As per usual procedure, weā€™d simply go down the list in order. Leoā€™s been very good in including ten entries ranked at the top, so we shouldnā€™t have a problem finding somebody.

If you could tell us in the next day or so whether you could host, thatā€™d be good.

4 Likes

@Leonardo9613 Thanks for hosting it was a really enjoyable round.

Now a minor point since your round was all about sensible choices. I would just like to mention that a six-speed gearbox would also be a very rare sight for a 1998 sedan. Outside of the M-badged vehicles, no regular sedans had them. But of course, the automationverse is a bit different from our world Iā€™ll leave it there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats to @EnryGT5! Seishido once again proving to be the most sensible choice around. I like the sounds of that idea. Hopefully a boring crossover round for a 30-something mother of two :smile:

@Strop I just had an idea regarding the whole operating procedure of CSR discussion.

Perhaps in addition to indicating if you can host perhaps the competitors could also mention what type of round theyā€™d have in mind if they were to host. Wouldnā€™t have to be very detailed or bear much relation to their final idea but could speed things up if everyone had to consider what their hosting might entail.

3 Likes

If I had been that thorough, I would have also gotten rid of cars that had 5-speed automatic gearboxes, which were quite rare, which would mean Iā€™d have 5 cars remaining, tops. [quote=ā€œDeusExMackia, post:6273, topic:6447ā€]
what kind of lower executive car has all aluminium panels?

Just want to highlight this: my companyā€™s lore clashes with this significantly. How much more expensive is it to use aluminium in car production? It doesnā€™t seem to make that much of a difference in game, which is why I developed my lore around that.
[/quote]

Tooling for aluminium cars is expensive. It is also a lot harder to weld/bond, as companies usually go for rivets. If you use aluminium that is easy to weld, it has awful properties for car making, if you weld good aluminium, you ruin it. In the early 2000s both Audi and Jaguar started making full aluminium bodied cars, but only on their most expensive models, A8 and XJ. Nowadays, the A4ā€™s panels are partially made of aluminium and the XE is supposed to be mostly made of it.

3 Likes

@Leonardo9613 Thanks for clearing that up. Might rework the Erin canon come UE4 thenā€¦

Audi A2 used aluminum at early '00s too, had a lot of criticism because of the difficult to fix the body.

its not easy to weld aluminium, it can oxidize fast

@nomade0013 only way to fix it is a hammer

The problem is not that it oxidises fast (it is problematic but there are ways to get round it) its that the oxide layer is so tough, unlike iron (III) oxide, which isnt strong at all, allowing oxygen to permeate even further.

2 Likes

The expense of tooling for aluminum bodies explains why both of my companies, Harris and Albury, reserved them for models that did not have to be mass-produced on the same scale as steel-bodied ones.

1 Like

You would also have drawn the ire of users who specifically put that in as a unique feature as part of their interpretation in the brief, so Iā€™m rather glad you didnā€™t.

That said while I said in OP that the conditions of buying were subjective as it is in real life, I should remind everybody that Automation represents an interface between fantasy and reality: it can reflect it but also subvert it. The fairest way to go about this is to at least convey how true to life you want to be in each round. I donā€™t think this has truly been explicitly stated in most precious rounds hence a bit of wiggle room for confusion and saltiness. Thereā€™s no need for a hard rule on it, but just saying for future hosts.

7 Likes

So, here are the rules! I wasnā€™t joking when i said it would involve a category of cars many people hate. Letā€™s hope i can run this properly.

##CSR34 - Crossing Over

18th February, 2017, Colorado, USA.

The humming of a desktop PCā€™s fans pierces the silence of the night, as he drinks another coffee to stay awake while sending several emails. To who? Car dealerships.
Heā€™s looking for a new car, after his old SUV broke down one last time. This time, heā€™s looking for a crossover, to fulfill his needs without being as expensive to mantain as his old set of wheels. The needs being: Having a car that can comfortably go off paved roads, has space for 5 people, and can carry his sports equipment, while being safe, easy to drive, and economical. He canā€™t really afford a premium car, and doesnā€™t need a massively powerful engine. Now, time to wait for the dealerships to send him their offerings.

##Rules:

Trim year 2017
Regular Unleaded fuel required (91RON, 87AKI)
Minimum Fuel Economy: 25MPG (US)
V8s and V12s are BANNED
Production Unit Limit: 110 (Trim), 75 (Engine)
Engineering Time Limit: 80 (Trim), 105 (Engine)
Budget: $25,000 @ 40% markup

Not really a rule, but a reccomendation, be sensible and realistic with your design choices.

Use the standard naming scheme.

##Entry Deadline:

#February 25th, 22:00 GMT

18 Likes

Trim year 2017 and standard naming scheme im guessing? Also does it have to resemble a crossover or does it just need to have similar abilities to one?

You guessed right, forgot to add that in.

Make it look the way you think would be sensible.

Ah, crossoversā€¦ The bread and butter of 21st century motoring as far as sales are concerned. I might have to consider several approaches for this oneā€¦

you can consider as many approaches as you want as long as you only end up submitting one :wink:

5 Likes