The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’ve made a discovery about the market. The nearly constant drivetrain is a 2.5L 4-cylinder (all I4 except for the Subaru) making about 170-190 hp (185 hp is the common one) with available AWD.

1 Like

@DeusExMackia WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! It’s got this oddly alluring charm and actually looks pretty good :joy: I can’t wait for Erin to jump into this market :wink:

@strop I’ve got the opposite problem we’ve got like five different SUV/Crossovers to choose from…The question is to go AWD or FWD trim.

@szafirowy01 Really nice styling on the tail!

3 Likes

That depends. Do you want to sell to the customer who would like to think they’ll take it more offroad than 2 wheels parked on a nature strip, or do you want to sell to the customer who bought the damn thing due to peer pressure?

Croosovers: the ultimate “just in case I’d like to do anything” and then never do anything vehicle.

1 Like

If you really want (or need) a crossover, you should consider the KWA (Kramer-Webb Automotive) KX1 2.4. Its AWD system provides sure-footed handling in all road conditions and, thanks to off-road sway bars, a manually locking differential, and skid plates, confers legitimate off-road capabilities. Not many crossovers provide you with the option of going off the beaten track, but the KX1 does, and it certainly looks the part, especially in the Appalachian Green Pearl Coat on the example shown here.

Under the hood is a transversely-mounted, direct-injected turbocharged 2.4-liter straight-six developing just over 210 horsepower on regular fuel and mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission. Careful tuning allows this engine to return 32 mpg (US) and still have the fat, flat torque curve essential for daily drivability. With a strut front and double-wishbone rear, the KX1 will also have no trouble making use of its power, even with all-season tires, while progressive springs and adaptive dampers endow this vehicle with levels of ride comfort and handling to match most mass-market production cars.

We’ve fitted 5 standard seats (although a seven-seat configuration is optional) and a six-speaker standard infotainment system to keep you entertained and comfortable on even the longest road trips. In addition, an advanced safety suite and corrosion-resistant steel construction guarantee high levels of safety. And all this peace of mind can be yours for just $22,900 with a 40% markup added.

4 Likes

That was the exact reason I used that gif. And also because it might be the best f*cking film ever made, but that’s a topic for another day…

@Rk38 What I’ve done is made a monster. You see, this is why ERIN ARE NEVER GOING TO MAKE A CROSSOVER.

:smiley:

2 Likes

You can hate me now, but I am sort of starting to understand the reasoning behind choosing a crossover :anguished:

8 Likes
7 Likes

Or, you could just get a Subaru :wink:

1 Like

Well of course, I didn’t say I WOULD get a crossover but just that it doesn’t seem so offensive to like it anymore

1 Like

I still don’t understand this, can you explain it to the rest of us crossover haters? :joy:

1 Like

Technically speaking, the Subaru Forester/Crosstrek/XV whatever the fuck are all crossovers. And they all have ground clearance and AWD. Which means you can handle a significantly larger variety of environments - not that they can go rock crawling but then again, good luck driving across Canada in a blizzard when your cars rear end keeps sliding when you try to put down power. They aren’t any less practical than hatchbacks and aren’t all that heavy or bloated - my point is that they do most functions well enough for the average person who has to traverse slightly tricky terrain often… but this all assumes they’re priced fairly. Which they often aren’t in reality. This round however offers plenty of cars of great value, I think

5 Likes

Question. Is a nissan xtrail considered a crossover? I was going to replicate my 2004 one bit it does have proper locking 4x4… oh shit am I one of “those” car buyers

I’m not sure if I’m alone in this, but I never understood the purpose of a Forester from day one, unless people treated it like an XTrail (oh, hey, @Darkshine5 ninja’d me).

As I understand it, people who bought XTrails, at least when they first came out, tended to go pretty heavy on the outdoorsy recreation and going bush.

Yeah, but then you’re looking at 4x4 vs AWD. And I doubt the demographic popular crossovers sell to even know when to use low range or what it means

Its a very capable offroad/highway cruiser/ shopping car…

So that’s exactly why so many of us explode when we see how popular this class of car is. It’s a combination of:

• False utility
  • False versatility
  • False advertising
  • At the expense of most things that make a car good.

Because the way most people end up using these things, compared to how they’re marketed, the one thing in favour of the SUV and crossovers is that you don’t have to bend your knees to get into them, which makes them great for old people with arthritis. Honestly, I think I do more offroading and put more sport gear and move heavy shit around in my Civic than most people ever end up doing in a crossover. So, uh, what was the basis for your not objecting so much again?

5 Likes

Now a civic with 4x4 would be awesome…fit it with airbags and raise that bitch over the rocks

Excuse me while I also perform an engine swap so it actually has any semblance of low-end torque :joy:

2 Likes

Deisel time… although i will say the 2.5 in the xtrail is surprisingly powerful…does 16.5 down the quarter mile lol

I think we just hate on the stereotype of the demographic, rather than the cars themselves because they genuinely aren’t that terrible. They don’t have a lack of cargo/passenger space, they don’t get shit mileage - it’s just that people buy into the image that they appear sporty, outdoorsy and invincible when you give them some 3 inches of ride height. To sell to those people, you’ve got to exaggerate and advertise, right? I mean, I think it’s safe to say we all (on this forum) have level headed judgement and we can see that crossovers in reality do underdeliver compared to the expectations set by the “propaganda”, but if they were all cheaper, they would be better value because they don’t really compromise anything massively.

9 Likes