The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

As long as the internals aren’t made from silly putty like the last Maesima we test-drove, I want one.

8 Likes

So poised and elegant. I adore what you’ve done with that body, it’s such a stunning car.

5 Likes

Third and last part

@laffinghyena MONTCENISIO

This car seems coming straight from the mid '90, the body it’s a bit old and i can’t figure out if i miss some fixture, or if the car really looks this polished… The name it’s a touch of class!
Oh there’s a big engine in this thing! 2.4 30v L6 good for 248hp@7900rpm and a healthy 247Nm of torque, probably thanks to the long stroke design, but on the head, near the individual throttle body, there’s write MPI, why they didn’t use DFI? however the power draw a nice straight line on the graph.
Time to drive! as the “Quattro” logo in the back suggest, I’m on an AWD car with viscous diff. The Montcenisio it’s ease between the corners, with a nearly neutral handling, i think this car could be a hell lot fun to drive in the snow!
The only concerns are about the small rims and tires, and the active sway bars… The interiors are refined by there are only 2 seats.
Performance: 5.1s, 260km/h, ATT: 2’20.61
Design: 6/10

@Leedar BOYD CHRISTA S

Mother of all spoilers! this rear wing it’s huge! Could be useful, i can do picnics over it…
Talking seriously, Christ…ops Christa it’s a nice car, and the four tips suggest a big engine.
And there it is! A 2.9 32v Flatplane V8! similar to the one find in the Dynamite Y8, it produces 248hp@7200rpm and 274Nm of torque, with a redline set to 7800rpm. Feature individual throttle body and a proper exhaust, so it’s very responsive and loud. all this power it’s sent to the rear wheels trough a 7 speed transmission and trough a geared LSD, The 265mm rear wheels are huge!
Driving it, you can feel the strong rear downforce pushing the car on the asphalt, in fact it has plenty of traction, but the suspensions bounces a bit. It’s really fast! and tend to oversteer at the limit.
It’s the fastest accelerating car on the list with 4.1s and 248km/h, the ATT time it’s good too 2’14.41s
A fun machine, but i’m a bit worried about the service cost of that V8…
Design:7/10

@LordLetto BOTTIGLIONE

Bottiglione, what an awesome name! the problem is that the designer had drink to much from the bottiglione. (for the non italian peoples, “bottiglione” it’s the name of a large bottle where italian peoples keep wine.)
Honestly it looks a bit weird, it’s 4.8 meters long, with the nearly flat windscreen and the low roof, i’m 188cm i don’t know if i can fit whiteout touching the roof…
Under the bonnet there’s a strong 2.6 24v alsi L6 turbo engine, good for 248hp@6600rpm and an healthy 320Nm, the cast internals don’t allow to go further than 7200rpm. The engine feature MPI, 6 throttle body and water intercooler. I step inside with some difficulties and the seats are so comfortable!
but where are the rear set? weight reduction bro? ok… there more space in the boot for my bicycles and skis. The power it’s sent to the four wheel by an electric LSD, with a 54ant/46post torque partition. Talking about wheels… the front ones are a bit too thin 21"x 175mm in fact the car understeer a lot even with the 3° negative front camber.
Performance: 5.7s 245km/h ATT: 2’24.59
It’s the only car that reach the top budget at 23910$, all the other cars cost a lot less.

@koolkei PHYTON CLASSIA-S

I like the general shape of the car, the front end it’s nice, the rear it’s a bit more boring,
it’s a two seater hatchback, with a 2.3l 16v L4 alsi turbo engine under the bonnet, it made 248hp@6700rpm and 274Nm of torque with a redline set to 8000rpm.
The car it’s very silent, but the engine offers good level of power until 7000rpm where the power drops significantly, the ride it’s comfortable, but on tight roads the car suffer understeer and it is’t enough reactive, maybe because of the heavy steel rims… it’s also slower than the power and weight (1292kg) suggest, it takes 6.7s and reach 250km/h, the time on the ATT it’s 2’22.67
It’s a good hatchback but not so much hot.
Design: 7/10

@ApocalypticInfinity GX1600

This one it’s a weird car… the proportions looks a bit like cartoon style.
The headlight are huge! But the strangness continue with a Corrosion resistant steel chassis, covered in aluminium panels and a rear semi trailing arm suspension.
On board there are four seats! and under the bonnet there’s a nice 1.6 20vv L4 alsi engine that scream at 9000rpm producing 204hp@8900rpm and 174Nm of torque, serius number for a 1.6 liter NA (127.5hp/l) and it’s super responsive! thanks to the individual throttle body… maybe i had to reconsider this little car… the ride it’s stiff due to the ultralow hard tires and the car understeer on fast corner, in fact it has the worst lateral g-force (0.98/0.95), probably with a set of sportier tires can do a lot better.
Straight line performance aren’t bad, 6.5s and 250km/h, but the lap time on the ATT it’s the worst of the entire list 2’29.91s

@ramthecowy BABYCHALLENGER

Ok the name explain pretty everything about this car, it’s a little muscle car! and i have to say that looks pretty good! with the classic two pair of round headlight surrounded by an all-wide grill.
But the most important question is: is there a huge V8 under the bonnet? and yes! there’s a 5.0 OHV V8! because in murica only milk comes in two liters. This beast produce 248hp@5200rpm with a huge torque of 427Nm, the realine it’s set at 5800rpm.
The Babychallenger it’s light for a muscle car, only 1269kg in fact it’s buit with a GAM chassis and lightweight panels. So it’s fast! and the cornering performance are not so bad, there’s little grip, but it’s stable and with that torque figure, it’s easy to spin the tires and going sideways, but the gears (6) are too long.
It’s not the most capable or refined car out there, but it’s fun to drive…
performance: 5.3s 261km/h ATT in: 2’22.08
Design: 7/10

@F17Francesco RAZIEL 12 BARRA 2

Good looking and very sporty coupè! I like the design of this one, it’s simple but aggressive, the only thing that i don’t really like it’s the double plane huge rear wing, surely it will produce some downforce, but looks too much aftermarket…
The Barra 2 has four seats! and a decent interior. Under the bonnet there’s a 2.5 24v L6 engine that produce 248hp@7900rpm and 263Nm of torque, with the redline at 8300rpm, it’s a very smooth engine! Turn the key and the engine start with a nice and loud sound, but behind the wheel i notice two paddles… yeah unfortunately there’s a seven speed dual clutch transmission. The car feel fast and stable, the weight it’s relevant, i think that lot of AHS steel where used to improve the safety… The handling it’s neutral and the 19" tires united with the front and rear downforce, provide lot of grip, but the car tend to bottom out easily.
performance: 5.6s 247km/h ATT: 2’19.69s
Design: 8/10

@Mythrin VERSAL SATURNE MKVI

A nice understated coupè, i like especially the rear end, there are huge vents on the rear wheel arches, i wonder why…
The Saturne it’s powered by an aluminium 2.2 16v L4 turbo engine, don’t seem a particularly modern unit, it feature Multipoint Fuel Ignition and produce 248hpat the redline, set at 7200rpm and 259Nm of torque, the engine it’s very quiet and probably it’s the less responsive of the list, even with the individual throttle body. The car it’s light for a four seaters, 1331kg and it’s well balanced, but the suspensions are too soft, in fact the Saturne tend to bottom out easily (-4.2).
The handling it’s mild-oversteering! especially on fast corners the tail it’s prone to oversteer, but it’s not a big problem, one of the problems of this car it’s the brake balance! it’s too biased on the rear, it has 3 piston rear calipers! and non ventilated front one.
The gearbox and the diff are great, but the performance are lower than similar powered cars, 5.8s and 251km/h ATT: 2’24.05
Design: 7.5/10

10 Likes

The winner and other special mentions will be revealed whitin few moments

9 Likes

That’s weird, the acceleration and top speed I get is 4.2 and 258.2 km/h, not 4.1 and 248 km/h. ATT time is the same though. I assume you do the screen flipping trick to get the correct values?

Edit: nvm, i actually did

I’m really sorry, i have received it! i will do the rewiew right now!

3 Likes

@Dorifto_Dorito GL SAVANT CABRIO

Last, but not least! it’s a nice cabrio S2000 style, with a long bonnet and a nice front-end, it has a soft top retractable roof and a lovely set of lightweight rims that seems to be made from magnesium, but wait… behind the spokes i can see a very tiny set of brakes, the discs looks strange…it’s because they are made from carbon-ceramic! that’s a strange choice…
However, under the bonnet there’s a more reasonable engine, 2.0 16v L4 made from Alsi, it’s rated at 198hp@8100rpm and produce 193Nm of torque, with a redline at 8700rpm, this engine also feature VVL-T and individual throttle body.
From behind the wheel the Savant feel nice to drive, the engine it’s linear and responsive, but lacks power, and the car it’s heavy for it’s size, 1377kg, so straight line performance aren’t great… The handling it’s neutral and balanced, but the grip from the 17" 185mm tires is very low. that’s why the Savant has one of the highest ATT lap times (2’28.71).
Performance: 6.8s 254km/h
Design: 7.5/10

6 Likes

FINAL RESULTS

5th place: @NormanVauxhall Flying Fish Sprint R
Because it’s soo fun, fast and crazy to drive! It’s drivable on road, but it’s too small for me…

4th place: @DeusExMackia Erin Nardella X 2.0
A great car! nice looking and well made.

3th place @F17Francesco Raziel 12 Barra2
nice looking, enough fast and with four seats! i really like it but it’s a bit heavy and has 7DCT, i prefer manual…

2nd place: @AirJordan Smooth 248S
It’s really fast and exotic! but the suspension are too artificial and the safety it’s a bit low.

1st place: @Rk38 Maesima MRZ-3 ST-Z
This was a really difficult decision, it not the fastest, it doesn’t have the better lap time or the higher G-force… but Maesima has hit in the center my requirements! The handling it’s perfect as the balance of the car, it’s fun and it’s gorgeous! And it will be an awesome project car for some performance mods!

Congratutation at all the partecipants!! the competition was really strong! with lot of noticeable cars, so i will relase some special mentions. just wait a minute!

14 Likes

Congratulations @Rk38! well done :grin:

one quick thing @MarcoAlla: it’s fifth (5th), fourth (4th), third (3rd), second (2nd), first (1st)

7 Likes

I guess it’s up to the designers, but would be nice to get some more information about the cars’ engineering. Only Marco and the designer get to know anything about how the car actually functions (aside from Marco’s brief descriptions), everybody else gets a picture. :frowning2:

FASTEST ATT lap times:
1st @Leedar Boyd Cristha S 2’12.41s
2nd @Dragawn Dragotec Whisplesmacker 2’12.45s
3rd @NormanVauxhall Flying Fish Sprint R 2’12.89

WORST ATT lap times: @ApocalypticInfinity GX 1600 2’29.91s

BEST ENGINE: @abg7 WMD LNC226

LIGHTEST CAR: @rcracer11m Mott Works Apollo ST 925kg

HEAVYEST CAR: @Mikonp7 Orkan V2 1525kg

BEST FUEL ECONOMY: Mott Works Apollo ST 23.25km/l

WORST FUEL ECONOMY: @LordLetto Bottiglione

BIGGEST ENGINE: @ramthecowy BabyChallenger

LITTLE MID ENGINED BATTLE:
Five car with the same body, but with very different engines and solutions, they have battled a lot!

1st: @Leonardo9613 Ikkonogashi 1970r
2nd @Leedar Boyd Christa S
3rd @thecarlover Solo Track DM
4th @Dragawn Dracotec whisplemacker
5th @lordvader1 VD 1000

8 Likes

If you want i can send you 9 A4 pages of handwrite notices and specs of all the cars entered! :joy:

12 Likes

What is the color code on these papers ?

Unfortunately that track time for my car is not correct, it is 2:14.41. :upside_down:

I can’t believe you wrote that stuff down by hand! :astonished: How come?

Congratulations to @Rk38 for his first solo victory! And I am proud of having built the best engine this round as well.

1 Like

Ohhh second, so close :grin: Congrats Rk38!

suspension setup mimics Magnetic ride control in various new sports cars but I respect your decision in picking more basic stuff. About safety…yeah I sacrifised some for lower weigh :innocent:

1 Like

Big congratulations to @Rk38, really cannot wait to see what round you come up with :smiley:

1 Like

Green for the things a liked, red for the solutions and specs lower than the average.

I’m good at using computers and lot of softwares, and i have used also excel for this competition, but there are things that i prefer write by hand, because i remember things better if i write them by hand.

I’ve choose your engine because has lot of top end power, but also good low end, it’s the most responsive, very lightweight, it’s smooth and reliable.

So, here’s the list for the next round host.

@Rk38

@AirJordan

@F17Francesco

9 Likes

well excel would be a less messy