The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Well, the exhaust on the Dynamite is choked. That’s how we got it under the power regulations, and why the best mod that could be done to it is to redo the exhaust. That unlocks all the horsepower stored away.

3 Likes

I understand the logic, but considering the power limit is because of an on-going tax, you’d expect the car to have good performance out of the box before having to mod it and increase taxes. Having a high power engine that is choked doesn’t give a very sporty torque curve.

Oh! So I’ve basically built a GT86. :smile:

1 Like

Second part.

@AirJordan SMOOTH 248S

This car looks wild! it’s longer and wider than the others, the front end it’s a bit heavy designed, but the whole car looks good.
It’s a front-mid engine, because the entire power-unit stand behind the front wheels, so has nearly perfect weight distribution and low polar inertia. The engine it’s a 2.5 L6 24v good for 248hp@7700rpm and 253Nm it’s responsive, with a nice power band that only bends at 7000rpm, but nothing to worry about, the sound it’s awesome! Also the handling it’s great, with a neutral balance and high lateral G-forces thanks to the rear pushrod scheme and 235/255mm tires. About the downside, the suspension are a bit too sophisticated with adaptive dampers and semi active sway bars, things that tend to fail and are very pricy to replace… The safety it’s relatively low.
The 248S performs well on straight and corner, 4.8s, 281km/h and 2’15.89 on the ATT.
Surely it’s a strong competitor!
Design: 7.5/10

@doncornaldie MAREV

Interesting… A medium size soft-top cabrio with only 2 seats, there’s a lot of empty space in the cabin!
The exterior are well done, with lot of chrome and details, but simply it doesn’t look sporty.
However the Chassis it’s a lightweight GAM with Alu panels, but we all know that cabrio have less torsional rigidity than coupé…
Let’s see what there’s under the bonnet, an L6 1.9l 24v turbo, made from Alu, It’s a nice unit, with a good sound and lot of power, 247hp@8400rpm and 234Nm, it also has a nice and smooth power delivery. The power it’s delivered to the rear wheel trough a 6MT coupled to an open diff.
Talking about the wheels, something has going wrong here… i have never seen a RWD car with wider front tires than the rear ones. And there’s more! the car felt super stiff, so i looked trough the rims and…OMG air springs? with rock solid adaptive dampers and ultra stiff active sway bars? I’m a bit confused…
Performance: 5.7s, 230km/h, 2’20.94 ATT lap time.
Design: 7/10

@lordvader1 VD1000

It’s a little yellow spider! remind me of the '96 Renault Spider… It’s mid engine with AHS chassis and Partially Alu body, in fact it’s very heavy for the size, 1319kg!
In the middle there’s a 2L 24v V6 engine that produce 237hp at the rev limiter set @9000rpm, but only 196Nm of torque, this unit has a nice character with good top end power.
At the firs look this little car seems very funny to drive, but from the driver seat it’s a completely different story, the steering it’s vague because of the skinny 175mm front tires, also suffers of understeer, and the grip it’s low… The fancy suspension can’t resolve the intrinsic problems of the car.
The ATT times it’s eloquent 2’24.61s and the acceleration (5.9s) is worst than the same power competitors.

@Dragawn DRAGOTEC WHISPLESMACKER

The name it’s a bit tricky to spell correctly, However let’s talking about the car, It’s similar to the VD1000, but it’s a coupé and it’s Purple! The styling it’s more sportier, i hope also the driving experience!
The chassis it’s the same, but with alu panels, and this one weight a lot less! only 1050kg
I wonder where they are reduced the weight… Surely on the engine, it’s a tiny 1.3L 24v V6 turbo, good for 247hp@10100rpm! The rev limier it’s even higher at 11000rpm! The torque it’s limited at 192Nm.
This engine feature expensive components like billet crank and titanium conrod, but the reliability is poor (66,2).
I want to drive it! I press the right pedal but nothing really happens… WTF why it’s so slow? i reach 4500rpm and the turbos finally start to spool, here comes the power! a lot of power! this engine has so much turbo-lag and a low rpm there’s no power at all, only 20hp @2000 and 50hp@4000rpm, so it’s pretty undriveable. It’s scary to drive, the front suspensions bounces at every road imperfection, losing the contact with the asphalt. Surely it’s very capable on the track, with a ATT time of 2’12.45, but on the road it’s terrible.
0-100: 4.4s 274km/h

@JohnWaldock JHW FALCON

Nice coupè body, but the styling it’s a bit boring, the exhaust seems the one from a Fiat Panda…
I’ve read that the car feature a lightweight GAM chassis with aluminium body, in fact it’s only 1065kg
Under the rear bonnet there’s a… mhm Fiat Panda again? kind of but with a huge turbo attached to it!
It’s a 1.2 16v L4 producing 186hp @8200rpm and 178Nm of torque, with a lot of fancy internal components. It’s a good engine, only a bit down on power especially at lower rpm.
The driving experience isn’t that bad, apart form the worrying sound that come from the undertray every time i hit a speed bump (bottom out 4.2), and the strong tendency to understeer.
The suspensions and tires size need to be heavily revised.
The car accelerate fast 5.1s thanks to an electric LSD and reach a top speed of 250km/h, but the cornering performance aren’t great. Lap times: 2’22.97

@Leonardo9613 IKKONAGASHI 1970R

Another little mid engined coupè! but this one looks more modern than the other two, i like the front end!
It’s also lighter at 1017kg, and under the bonnet there’s a bigger NA engine, 2l V6 24v made from Alsi good for 222hp @9200rpm and 209Nm of torque, with a rev limiter set at 10000! even if it’s a larger engine, it weight less than the JHW and DRAGOTEC turbo engines, and it also has a better character and powerband. I like this unit!
Behind the wheel the car it’s nice to drive, the sound it’s good but even this one suffer of understeer and the suspensions bounces a bit. The gearbox feel great, but the gear are too long.
The safety it’s higher than the other little mid engine coupè, but it’s still low…
The performance are pretty good! 4.5s and 270km/h with an ATT lap time of 2’15.91s

@Nomade0013 GAMMA RIZA GTC

Simple but beauty! It’s a small spider with soft-top, mx-5 style. I like the design of this car.
This time the engine it’s in front, and seems a nice engine, 2.1 16v L4 a bit over-square
this unite produce 241hp@8600rpm and 222Nm of torque, the internal components, such the billet crank are very expensive! The engine it’s responsive thanks to a fuel mixture of 13.9 (finally! there are too much engines with super lean mixture), and loves to rev. The gearbox is great! and so the geared LSD. The suspensions work well, the car feel stable, but a bit undeersteering. Seems all good until this point, but there’s a big problem… The weight, it turned out to be 1500kg heavy, ok the car is safe and solid but weight too much.
In fact the performance are lower than expected, 5.9s and 250km/h with a lap time of 2’22.97

@Rk38 MAESIMA MRZ-3 ST-Z

Wow! i can’t say anything else… This car it’s stunning! I love the design, the sharp but elegant front end, the sleek lines… Remind me of the beautiful Mazda Vision Rx Concept… Awesome.
It’s a front engined coupè and under the long bonnet there’s a 2.0 16v L4 engine, made entirely from alsi, I have read that this particular unit it’s a short stroked and slightly under bored version of the bigger 2.6 Maesima Engine. It’s rated at 190hp@8600rpm and 203Nm, with a limiter set at 9000rpm, has a good character but lacks on power and could be louder.
Driving the MRZ-3 it’s an awesome experience, the set-up of the suspension it’s really on spot!
the handling it’s neutral with a bit of oversteer that i love, the car dance between the corners. The refined LSD it’s well coupled with a lovely 6MT, the lateral grip isn’t exceptional due to the 205mm medium compound tires, and the engine need more power, but the driving experience is pure!
This time numbers don’t tell the truth: 6.2s, 248km/h an a lap time of 2’2.57s
I really like this car, but needs a more powerful engine and sportier tires!
Design: 9.5/10

@rcracer11m MOTT WORKS APOLLO ST

Apollo, as the god of the sun and the arts… Ok it’s yellow as the sun, but… i don’t see art in this car.
It’s a rear engine, RWD hot-hatch like the new Renault Twingo. I’m not a big fan of the styling, it’s tall and thin with small wheels.
The engine it’s located under the boot, seems a motorcycle one, only 1.0 16v L4 Turbo i’m disappointed i hate downsizing, as an almost automotive engineer, i know that the ideal size of an engine it’s between 450 and 500cc per cylinder, now that fuel consumption homologation rules are changed we will see again larger engine. However this engine produce 140hp@8800rpm and 129Nm of torque, rev limiter set at 10000rpm, it’s a well made power-unit with low turbo-lag and high responsiveness, and it has to move around only 925kg thanks to the GAM chassis and to the lightweight panels.
The apollo it’s fast! but the 6 speed sequential single clutch gearbox it’s slow an has too long gears, it’s very easy to drive, but it’s not very fun to drive, the 155mm front tires are too skinny.
Performance: 6.5s, 227km/h ATT: 2’27.15s
Fuel consumption are great! but that’s not the point…
Design: 6/10

@thecarlover SOLO TRACK DM

Oh another little mid engine sportcar! this one it’s nice! i like the design, and nice rear bumper!
Also has a removable roof, and red it’s my favourite colour, especially in cars and politics! Let’s the engine bay! there’s a 1.9l V6 24v alsi turbo engine with 213hp@6100rpm and 213Nm of torque, the redline it’s set at only 6700rpm.
The car it’s light at 1031kg featuring GAM and alu body panels, the interior are pretty basic, but it’s common with this little mid-engine. There’s a thing on the inside that catch my attentions, the gear lever says 7 gears! Interesting feature, i want to try it! again this engine has very little power at low revs and the turbo-lag is measured in seconds… when the power comes at 4000rpm the car squeeze forward, but the redline come very early, fortune that the 7 speed gearbox allow to keep the engine in the fun zone!
I like the handling and the sound, the car it’s fun and stable even at high speed, it’s a bit oversteering but i like it!
The weak point of the Solo Track it’s the engine.
Performance: 4.7s and 254km/h, ATT time: 2’17.14s

The last rewiew will come soon.

11 Likes

Mission success, eh? @Rk38 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It was a bit of a hard choice, but the car has basically a straight line mimicking the sport line on the charts. It doesn’t look sporty but it handles and feels sporty. And because of the setup I didn’t need to add a geared or viscous diff as the power was just right, with only minimal wheelspin. I also needed to stiffen the chassis and suspension to compensate for the fact that it’s a convertible. So you can drive it fast and don’t have to worry about bumps.

1 Like

I wonder whos car that might be eek :grimacing:

I was going off the fact that Apollo is the god of knowledge, not of the sun or arts

I would’ve used an I3 (or maybe even a 2) if they had turbochargers in the game

The car is supposed to have 165 front tires so is that a typo or did something change somewhere?

1 Like

i may have made my car a touch too road oriented here. welp.

Yeah, your opinion it’s valid, the car works, but it’s a strange solution, probably with standard suspension you can obtain the same results, and an LSD is useful in case you want to drift it.

I have forgotten an “S” rewiewS, there are 7 more cars…

Not only god of the knowledge, i have found different sections where he his refered also as god of the sun and arts

L3 and L2 are worst, they require a lot of balancing masses, i have a friend that has a Fiat Punto with the 875cc twin cylinder turbo, this engine has no reliability and vibrates so much that the transmission failed.

It’s a typo sorry…

Well the only other way I could fix your original issue of downsizing would be to make a bigger I4 which would’ve made the weight distribution even worse than it already is.

yeah, i know, it’s basically a front engine body. About downsizing was a general discourse, in fact your engine it’s well made.

Anoter thing that i’ve noticed, the majority of the car submitted have the Air/fuel mixture set at 15.0:1 and due to this fact, they have lower throttle response, which i think it’s way more important in a sport car than fuel consumption…

1 Like

That was a really hard choice, because the body is old, so it becomes a lot heavier to achieve the same safety as the new ones. I choose safety since you would drive at a mountain and since it would be a daily, but I was already expecting this result.

I’m happy that you at least like the style and the car overall. I would enter a MR, but when I made this one I couldn’t help but fall in love with this design :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@MarcoAlla

always the dillema. skinny front wheels = understeer/ driveability

or front and rear wheels equal size = not very good driveability.

front=rear tyre size you get oversteer. and driveability/sportiness, you get neither of them high

1 Like

Hmm, I achieve a much more favorable subjective engine quality with a small cylinder engine, but I was not sure whether the competition penalises uncommon engine designs (1.8L V8), so I just stuck with something relatively normal and that gets better track times (peaky engines tend to perform worse than torquey engines of the same power, unless they manage to be sufficiently lighter, e.g. formula 1, or are using an ideal CVT).

I feel like I’ve perhaps missed some posts but not entirely sure where you were going there? Are you saying equal tyre sizes front and rear generally promote oversteer/difficulty controlling the car?

Something was certainly high, if not drivability.

18 Likes

equal tire size means i lower the driveability but increase sportiness and the oversteer/understeer graph moves up

lost 10 driveability (from 76.5 to 66.6)
but gained 3 sportiness (40 to 43.3)

now it will oversteer instead of understeer

since the car is mid engine. it doens’t need wide tyres in the front. take look at the F40 for example. its rear tyres are wide as possible while the front are skinny compared to the rear

That depends on the weight distribution and suspension settings as well. You can have understeer with same-sized tyres in all corners, in fact most cars do.

2 Likes

I’m liking the diversity of approaches taken to this round. Plenty of nice driving machines :heart_eyes:

@ramthecowy Well, that’s better than expected! Since the MRZ-3 is aiming more for 86/MX-5/S2000 territory.

@MarcoAlla I didn’t have time to release the required ad earlier but here it is :slight_smile:

## 2016 Maesima MRZ-3 ST-Z

$17,324

Drive Away

The MRZ-3 is a sports car produced by Maesima that provides outstanding performance and spirited drive in an affordable yet elegant design. Produced in Anikatia at our facilities in Namju with quality craftsmanship and exported to all markets. MRZ stands for Maesima Racing Zenith.

The timeless design of the MRZ-3 evokes the latest evolution of our Vitalic Motion design language and is unmistakably Maesima with sporty flowing lines and signal this vehicle was designed and build from the ground up as a true drivers car with its near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, partial aluminium panels and infused with our long heritage of performance vehicles like the NRZ-966, NRZ-976, NRZ-986 and NRZ-996.

Offering you value for money with our 5 Years Unlimited Kilometre warranty*, backed by 5 Years Roadside Assistance* (subject to eligibility) and 5 Years Capped Price Servicing*. This is our commitment to you and gives you peace-of-mind with your vehicle purchase.

10 Likes