The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Lime green? Somehow it suits the tuner vibe of this round very well!

But in addition to the lack of balance between car classes, the vagueness of the rules is enough to made me skip this round, and whatever cars are entered don’t have enough relevance to CSR either. In fact, if this round had a more… down-to-earth rule set, I would have been much more likely to enter without hesitation.

I agree there is some vagueness to the rules but I don’t really mind. At the end of the day I’m guessing the buyer wants the car that wins the challenge. [quote=“abg7, post:7283, topic:6447”]
and whatever cars are entered don’t have enough relevance to CSR either
[/quote]

Not necessarily true. In Japan they have lots of tuning companies that actually sell modified cars. Some more modified than others. I think where it gets blurry here is the usage of parts for example… allowing race parts on cars that are expected to be used daily…and the fact that we’re not sure of the scope of the challenge so we’re guessing in terms of reliability. But it honestly doesn’t bother me.

There are different classes to choose from and different tuning paths to take here. So it should be fun to experiment. But that’s my own little opinion. But I do hope you reconsider joining :slight_smile:

1 Like

The issue isn’t so much with the type of car being made, it’s about the buyer… or a lack thereof. CSR is about making cars for a certain buyer, but in this case, it’s playing more like one of the countless challenges based only around making the fastest car and nothing else. Exactly the thing many of us are trying to avoid by building for the CSR.

4 Likes

I understand why you would not participate then. So I guess we’ll see what happens with the rules.

I wonder.
Can you even reach 300km/h in the “MR2 Replica” Class ?

if you know how, easily.

Just thrown one together…186.5mph - 300.14266lmh :slight_smile:

That under my Skill then.
I “only” managed to get 285km/H from a 3L I6 Turbo.

really? I’m a total noob and I got this.

Use as large a stroke size, as you can, and a smaller bore size. This will help the rpms which, in turn, can translate into speed.

3 Likes

Except if can’t fit large enough turbos with an inline 6, as often in high boost applications with the i6 or V12, the compressor cant get big enough, but bigger bore sizes allow for bigger turbos in exchange for valve floating sooner.

Also @doncornaldie That’s an excellent engine, wouldn’t call you a “total noob”.

Thanks but I really wouldn’t call it excellent. I’m sure there are people here that could probably squeeze 1000+ hp out of it with better reliability.

I managed to get to 300.1 km/h with 491hp
And have a time of 4:31.06

I hope nobody looks at the mileage…

But how did @doncornaldie get to 850 ?
I guess your engine is drinking fuel like it is happy hour, or what ?

well you can guess from the 6% economy rating that it’s thirsty

1 Like

With high enough boost you can go for Air/Fuel ratios of 11.0:1 and below Also always max the AR ratio of your turbo for performance applications as it currently stands in automation. Oh, and boost, boost, boost.

2 Likes

Only 19l/100km
But 0-100 in 3.2 sec.
Its something ?

2 Likes

Raise the cam profile to 90-100 ish, adjust the turbos for the new cam profile, and then you’ll be in the ball park for an engine for highway racing.

i think we derailed this a little bit

this challenge & competition is called “Car Shopping Round”
and not “BEAT this challenge”

its more like
the year is this
i want a car for that
you have budget this much
you have production and engineering time of that

deadline dd/mm/yyyy

ignoring that we still need to clarify the rules and the class as well
now i feel very restricted when it comes to the class

so i can’t make a exotic v12 without a turbo which is front engined

btw the host of the round should provide the track for us. as a link or attachment

4 Likes

It is indeed faster, but not worth 30l/100km

I must agree with @thecarlover

This is an interesting concept (make it a seperate challenge) but has nothing to do with car shopping round.

3 Likes