The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I have an idea for @HighOctaneLove:

How about instead of having this round being about the actual racecars, make this be about the base cars that would be tuned up by the buyer. So not building a 800hp MR2 but building a basic 130hp MR2 which the buyer might tune up to 800hp. Judging for this could be fairly subjective, but you might be able to introduce some metrics similar to strop’s CSR19, where lower production units/service costs mean it’s easier to wrench on.

7 Likes

Or he could introduce a buyer shopping for a modified car with the touge as the ice breaker I guess. That’s a fairly common thing for Japan.

3 Likes

I actually think this is the easier suggestion to use. I mean, yes, it’s a tuned racing car round, but people do buy that, or, as the premise implied, take their car to a tuner and drop huge amounts of cash on it. So the basics for an actual shipping round are there.

To summarise the discussion* so far, what we need from the ruleset is:

• More clarity on just how streetable the car is (otherwise I’m submitting something that does 30L/100km
  • More clarity as to how important the central rule of top speed and track time actually is
  • More clarity on where we’re allowed to spend some points, otherwise everybody might as well drop it all on the tyres
  • an idea of who is buying this car, whether there are other important things like how iconic etc. etc.

These classes can be balanced but as everybody agrees, not if the main criteria is top speed. I’m fine with getting the car to do 300km/h minimum, but it has to be about much more than that or it’ll turn out stupid.

* @doncornaldie Post edited to reflect these aren’t necessarily my original ideas

7 Likes

not the exact wording but these were the issues i raised earlier.

edit: @strop was just saying that we were thinking along the same lines, not that you were taking anyone’s idea. lol (would write this in fine print but I don’t know how…sad right? I know :sweat:)

30L/100km, Pfft, Try 50+L/100km (Tried to make a Devil Z, Boosted 3.1L I6 12 Valve SOHC with Triple DCOE Performance Carbs & Large Water Intercooler, Got it to make just over 600HP, but it’s a Pig on Gas)

oh boy made a nsx replica class car and the car is about to break the 4:20 mark

edit:

This is one broken class system

2 Likes

Ok I’m just going to say it upfront, and just say it’s the not-911 body that’s the most OP here, as long as you know how to tune rear engine. It’s small and light and fits a decent engine config. Try 4:14 and that’s not even trying that hard.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in the “The Good ole Boy” category

“I NEED A SUPERCHARGER TO MOVE THIS 2 TONS ARGH”

4 Likes

Isn’t that body always OP though?

Yep. (For speed applications, that is)

1 Like

But it would compete in the sports car class right? Which leads me to the question @HighOctaneLove. Are all classes competing against each other or is it a winner per class thing? And the latter really wouldn’t make sense in CSR, but the former has some balancing issues.

1 Like

OK, I just going to stop the speculation right here and withdraw my hosting of round 39.

I didn’t win round 38 so I wasn’t truly ready to to host as I have other commitments IRL, but I wanted to do something simple as I didn’t want to let everyone down. Seems I’ve done that anyway so I’ll clear the way for someone else to provide a more CSR compatible round…

Apologies to all those who have entered so far, may you have more fun with whatever my successor comes up with!

2 Likes

I feel somewhat relieved by this announcement. With @HighOctaneLove choosing to abandon his original plan of hosting CSR39 I am curious as to who will take the reins - and what ruleset will be adopted in place of this overly cumbersome racing challenge (for CSR anyway) that was never meant to be part of CSR, but somehow was (which was against my best wishes); it deserved its own thread instead.

make no mistake the idea is fun. I think several of us here are absolutely champing at the bit to provide a tuned car for a client to the tune of Wangan Midnight. It’s just the idea needs to be fleshed out to give us an idea of what the actual approach should be. orrrrrr you could make a separate thread for this challenge. I mean I have 6 test builds and nothing to submit them to now

This is also not, obviously, an optimal position to be in, because now we’re not sure what to do. As per the hosting list, it’s now @Dragawn’s turn.

Can I reiterate to everybody at this point if you’re not quite sure you’ll be ready to host a round that you do your best to specify whether or not you can host the round when entering?

5 Likes

I will re-visit this in a seperate thread later as I don’t want to leave interested parties hanging and, warning!, I’ll be dropping the exotic class as aero is waay to OP in that class. I think @Dragawn is willing to step up to the plate so there won’t be too much fuss caused by me pulling out :disappointed_relieved:

You realise @abg7 that ALL the competitions in CSR or elsewhere are contrived? What an asinine post, you didn’t have any issue with the competition until a number of forum regulars decided my idea was outside the scope of the CSR…

5 Likes

I excluded myself because I’ve still got to figure out the specifics of the idea I came up with a while ago. Basically it will be a two trim challenge, trying to build two cars with rather disparate target markets with the same base chassis (and base engine), and trying to more realistically take into account engineering/production costs than the sandbox offers and some issues I have with the Automation scoring system. Dunno if that would even be valid for CSR considering two cars are produced that likely wouldn’t be sold to a single customer…

2 Likes

Or you could just balance the criteria such that top speed won’t completely dominate. That being said, Haruna is a technical track that heavily favours light cars that barely make the 300km/h mark when you wring everything out of it.

And I do think the cars need at least some minimum level of being driveable on the street. My upfront suggestions (because I totally have never thought about doing exactly the same thing myself) would be to slightly drop the speed requirement, have the race take place over a high speed (Wangan) and low speed (Haruna) track, but also weight a ‘daily living’ criteria (comfort, fuel consumption and running costs), if that’s even relevant. I mean if it’s only being used for racing then my hand-grenade engines with 1.0 reliability will be juuuuust fine… :sweat_smile:

But yeah do it.

@Leedar yeah nah too complex for CSR. Make a separate challenge, they actually engage better with the engineering/marketing mechanic of Automation and should get a good response.

3 Likes

Yeah, the Haruna downhill was meant to stop extreme gearing choices and would only serve a a potential tie-breaker stat. The race was meant to be on the Wangan (I wasn’t aware of the Wangan track but I have downloaded it now) and top speed was to be the deciding factor as per the Manga/Anime. As for balance, I didn’t want to exclude anything from the Wangan Midnight universe but I may have to look at using production time as a method to have dynamic build years e.g. a ten year build supercar needs to be sandboxed based on tech that is ten years older, so the sandbox year would be 1986 instead of 1996, as an example.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to you opening a new thread for it. I honestly wanted this challenge to be fleshed out and came to life in CSR. But it is what it is. Cool idea man.

@HighOctaneLove
I’ve got no problem with you opening it up in a new thread sometime later on. Just, um, possibly revise the ‘good ol boy’ rules so that it’s not pushrods required, or it won’t end up with much of any entries, because it’ll end up beaten by literally everything else.

(No, seriously, I used the same body, compared my SOHC 4V 5.7L V6 against a Pushrod 7L V8, I both made less power and went slower overall with the V8.)

2 Likes