The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Presenting the entrant from Erin to the Car Shopping Round 13.

2007 saw the release of the second generation Tauga, and a major expansion on the range of trims and options availible. Even base models like the this S trim could be equipped with Erin’s AllDrive AWD system, and this particular car has the manual locking differentials option fitted.

Dynamic to drive, efficient on all roads and superbly practical, the Tauga is an excellent compact executive vehicle. The estate model seen here features tons of space in the rear and a wide boot to make loading much easier.

Although this particular car doesn’t come with some of the top end gear that was availible on other trims, it still has the Millenial 2.6l i6 TDi VVT/L engine, a super efficient unit that delivers 159 hp to all wheels. 0-60 is done in 8.7 seconds and it tops out at 142 mph.

When new, this car retailed for $18600 in the USA, offering great value for money.

3 Likes

Ive edited my post with with my resubmitted car if anyone is interested in looking at its stats.

Submissions are now closed.

I have received entries from:
CadillacDave
BobLoblaw
Madrias
Darkshine5
OppositeLock
HighOctaneLove
Thecarlover
FindRED19
Lordvader1
TR8R
Dragawn
HowlerAutomotive
Denta
TheDzuiras
DeusExMackia
Rcracer11m
AirJordan
Koolkei
Nerd

If you sent me a car and your name is not on this list, let me know as soon as possible!

Most reviews are already done, I’m looking to have the results up today or tomorrow :wink:

5 Likes

CadillacDave - 2006 Bell Mountaineer - $18480

3.1L V6 NA MPFI - 190hp
56.1 utility
15.4mpg

The first car I looked at was a 2006 Bell Mountaineer.

First impressions were not bad. I like the retro style headlights and overall it had a kind of outdoorsy look, which fits the vehicle quite well. The interior was pretty plain, standard materials, standard entertainment, standard safety. There were 7 seats, though - more than enough for me and my family. I opened up the rear liftgate, but it looked kind of unimpressive with only 878L of cargo space, largely because of the third row of seats. The owner explained that the seats could be folded down and that the springs could support super heavy loads. I asked him how much mileage he got on average, and he replied with a very disappointing 15.4mpg. He also mentioned that he occasionally had some problems with the engine overheating, likely due to insufficient cooling. Still, perhaps there were some merits I was overlooking, so the owner gave me the keys for a test drive.

As soon as I put my foot on the gas I was greeted with screeching tires and tons of wheelspin. It turns out that the 5 speed manual was geared too way too low. It was geared well below top speed, and an overdrive gear would have reduced wheelspin to perfectly manageable levels while keeping revs down on the highway.
At one point during the test drive I took a corner a little fast and nearly lost control of the car. The car is actually rearward-biased and it suffers from excessive, terminal oversteer. Without stability control I almost certainly would have spun out and crashed. The brakes didn’t inspire confidence either, with plenty of fade in the rear.

The owner, sensing my disappointment, encouraged me to take the Mountaineer off-road, which I admit was a very fun experience. But by the time I stepped out of the car I had made up my mind. With poor economy, unimpressive utility, and poor drivability, it was not the car for me. However with some improvements to the handling I could see it as a practical off-road SUV for large families.

BobLoblaw - 2005 Petoskey Enforcer Estate - $19920

4.9L V8 NA MPFI - 285hp
63.9 utility
19.4mpg

My first impression of the Petoskey Enforcer was rather bland, but the simple, sleek looks grew on me as I examined the car. The tail lights seem awfully low, however - it looks like they could be damaged with a small hit to the rear bumper.

The dealer explained that this particular vehicle used to be a police car and hauled K9 units in the back. He opened the liftgate and showed me the trunk. It has a capacity of 1259L, which is passable but really on the low end for what I’m looking for. The interior is pretty reasonable, 4 seats, standard materials and entertainment, and I appreciate the extra safety features.

Being a police car, the Enforcer must be pretty fast, and when the dealer popped the hood I was not disappointed. Inside is a 4.9L V8 producing 285hp. We’ve got a little bit of classic American muscle in this bad boy! With this much power, I should have no problem hauling all the equipment I need. It would be nice to have that power available a little sooner in the rev range, but I won’t complain.

With an fuel economy of just under 20mpg, the Enforcer is not the most efficient vehicle around. Its weight of over 2 tons also hinders its efficiency and performance. All in all, not bad, but I would like more cargo capacity and better efficiency.

Madrias - 2006 Storm Courier - $19560

3.6L V6 NA DI - 168hp
52.2*1.2 = 62.4 utility
24.7mpg

I’m a little unsure of the looks of the Storm Courier, as the front of the car seems to be composed entirely of horizontal lines. I do like the look of the rear, though.

The interior space of this van is really impressive. With 4 seats, there’s enough head and legroom to rival a limousine. Even though the materials and entertainment are only standard, this feels like the most comfortable car so far. And behind the seats, there’s an amazing 3155L of cargo space - plenty enough room for all of my equipment. I’m a little unsure if the rear trailing arms can support as much cargo as the van can hold, however.

The 3.6L V6 engine looked promising, but when I took it for a test drive, I was quite disappointed. Performance felt really sluggish, with a 0-60 time of over 11 seconds. With all of my tools and equipment loaded, it would be even slower. The torque peaked early, which is good, but it’s a 3.6L V6 - where’s all the power?
After I went home I looked up some blueprints for the Courier’s engine and found that the ignition timing was very low and the exhaust was oversized. From my experience at Inline Designs I figured that advancing the ignition timing (lowering compression to compensate) and tuning the exhaust size could squeeze out an additional 25hp while increasing efficiency and lowering material cost.

All in all the Storm Courier is not bad - practical, comfortable, reasonably efficient. But despite the large capacity, I don’t think that the Courier is really capable of hauling a lot of cargo. It’s an OK van for a family, but not for me.

Darkshine5 - 2008 ANZ Spare Parts Ute - $18840

5.4L V8 NA MPFI - 356hp
72.2 utility
17mpg

While looking for cars I came across an ad for a custom built ute/van from ANZ Hot Rods. Intrigued, I decided to check it out.

This car looks… kind of confusing. There’s a lot going on with the headlights and I’m not sure if the big spotlights are necessary. I’ll definitely give it points for creativity at least. But I do appreciate the extra bars and roof racks that ANZ added on, they make it feel more unique.

First things first I wanted to check out the engine swap that the ad displayed proudly, and it did not disappoint. The 356hp V8 is a monster engine and it’s more than capable of pulling everything I can throw at it. This car’s got a phenomenal power to weight ratio and pretty snappy acceleration. However, as much as I enjoy the engine, I can’t help but feel that the engine swap dealt a blow to the fuel economy. At 17mpg it’s quite a bit worse than the original vehicle.

As it’s based off of a pickup there’s a solid 3058L/108 cu ft of cargo space in the back, plenty enough for my needs. The interior is made of premium materials which feel really nice, a step up from the other vehicles I’ve been testing. It’s also got SatNav, which would be really useful if it actually worked. It looks like it’s falling apart and it takes forever to find satellites, so I’d call it pretty much worthless. I do have to appreciate the extra work that ANZ put in to improve safety, but I wish that went into an actually working SatNav. Also, both traction control and stability control are missing from this car. I’m fairly confident in my driving skills, but those technologies are common and pretty inexpensive, so it feels weird to be missing them. It doesn’t help that the braking isn’t very good, with tons of fade and poor balance, and the steering tends toward oversteer.

This is certainly an excellent utility vehicle. Big engine, big cargo space, high load capacity. But I’m looking for more than that. The fuel economy is really too low, and the drivability isn’t all that great either.

Oppositelock - 2008 GSI Wyoming - $18720

4.0L I6 Turbo MPFI - 315hp
65 utility
18.3mpg

I quite like the Wyoming’s styling; it’s simple but it looks very sleek and modern. I’m not a huge fan of the color and the matte paint doesn’t help, but I can get it repainted if I really need to.

The interior of the Wyoming is pretty standard all around, but it comes with 5 seats which should be enough for my whole family. I can see it getting a little cramped with all 5 people in here, though. In the back there’s 2344L of cargo space, which is pretty decent.

When I popped the hood I was greeted by a familiar-looking 4.0L turbocharged I6 engine. This feels like the kind of engine that Inline Designs would make, although the lack of VVL and DI holds it back. It’s got a nice flat torque curve, low turbo lag, and the smoothness you’d expect from an I6. With 315hp it should have no problem hauling all of my needs.

Taking the Wyoming for a test drive, I was quite impressed. The 5 speed automatic is smooth and very well-geared, delivering quick acceleration and offering an overdrive gear for cruising. Braking is powerful and controlled, with an incredibly short stopping distance for the weight. However, I think that an all wheel drive system would have done wonders to reduce wheelspin and further improve the utility capabilities.

Overall, I’m liking the Wyoming quite a lot. The looks are on point, it’s fun to drive, and it’s equally good at carrying people and cargo. But with only 18mpg, it’s going to be quite expensive to run this truck.

HighOctaneLove - 2006 Bogliq Ranchero Workmate - $15840

2.0L I4 Turbo DI - 148hp
54.5 utility
28.7mpg

While browsing Craigslist a hint of bright blue caught the corner of my eye. I instantly knew it was a Bogliq, and decided to check it out.

I’m liking the Ranchero’s looks quite a lot. While not as modern-looking as the Wyoming, it’s clean and refined, and it would send the right message to my customers.

The interior of the Ranchero is standard again, with 5 seats which is plenty. It’s got 2330L of cargo space in the back, not bad but not the biggest either. However I looked at some crash test data for the Ranchero and it is not very good at all, the safety technology is very dated for a 2008 truck.

Popping the hood, I’m surprised to find a small 2.0L turbocharged inline 4. This engine feels like it should belong in a compact hatchback, not a truck. The 148hp output feels awfully meager, especially considering that it has a turbocharger. Before I was laid off I had worked on a 2.0L turbo for Inline Designs that produced 187hp while being more efficient.

Still, driving the Ranchero was not as bad an experience as I feared. It’s quite light for a truck (probably because of the lack of safety features) and it can go 0-60 in 9.2 seconds, which is pretty reasonable. The six speed manual is decent, but I feel that an overdrive gear could reduce wheelspin and improve economy without hurting acceleration at all. The brakes are soft and comfortable but they aren’t perfectly balanced, and there’s a little bit of fade in the rear.

I feel conflicted about the Ranchero. It looks nice and it’s quite cheap to run, with a combination of low cost, pretty decent efficiency, and high reliability. However, I feel that too much has been sacrificed to achieve this. The safety is really substandard and the engine feels quite underpowered for my needs. This is an econo-truck, and while it looks good on the outside I wouldn’t really feel confident driving it myself.

Thecarlover - 2008 Solo Brute CM - $19800

3.3L I6 Turbo DI - 214hp
72.1 utility
29.8mpg

When I first saw the ad for the Solo Brute I was hooked. This thing looks amazing. The headlight design is exquisite and the large grille looks tough and menacing. I really like the shade of blue they used, too. There’s a little bit too much black plastic but this is definitely the most badass looking vehicle I’ve seen so far. I immediately scheduled a test drive at the Solo Motors dealership.

The interior of the Brute is rather middling compared to the sharp exterior. 5 seats, standard quality materials, and the CD player isn’t as good as the others that I’ve tested. But there’s a decent amount of legroom and the ride feels smooth and quiet. Behind the seats there’s 2246L of cargo space, which should be sufficient for my needs.

Under the hood is a very efficient 3.3L turbocharged I6. It’s quite torquey with 283 ft-lb at 2200RPM and a redline at just 5100RPM. I think the limiter could be a few hundred RPM higher without harming reliability at all. Combined with a fully clad undertray and active cooling flaps, the Brute achieves a pretty impressive mileage of 29.8mpg. While acceleration is somewhat slow at 10.3 seconds, this has more to do with the gearing than the engine. The 6-speed automatic has very widely spaced gears, which does help with utility and off-road ability but holds back the performance. More closely spaced gears would easily bring 0-60 time under 10 seconds and reduce wheelspin without a big impact on economy or utility. The brakes have a bit of fade, as the solid discs can’t quite dissipate the heat fast enough. Vented discs are needed.

The Solo Brute is definitely a very strong contender. Fantastic looks, high efficiency, good utility, and good reliability check off all of the main points I’m looking for. As a bonus, the Brute is very practical and fun to drive off-road as well. Downsides would be the rather poor drivability and the high price.

findRED19 - 2005 Delux D-100 Restomod - $19920

5.4L V8 NA MPFI - 304hp
67.1 utility
15.8mpg

I have to admit, I wasn’t really looking for a restomod, but after seeing this Delux D-100, I had to reconsider! This thing is absolutely, drop dead gorgeous. The chrome lining is perfectly placed and the whole thing exudes luxury and style. The interior is also up to par, with 3 seats made with very nice premium materials. The owner is even willing to throw in a (working) SatNav system, which will be very useful to find my customers’ houses. It’s also got a pretty reasonable 1707L of cargo space in the back. Unfortunately due to it being a restomod I miss out on some modern technologies, like ABS and traction control, and I’m pretty sure this old body wouldn’t fare well in a crash.

This restomod is powered by a 5.4L V8 which appears to be taken straight out of a classic American muscle car. It’s big and powerful and still sounds great through the mufflers. But that also means it’s got pretty terrible efficiency and at 15.8mpg this truck is near the bottom of the heap.

Driving the D-100 is fairly engaging. There’s far less wheelspin than some of the other cars I’ve tested, and acceleration is quick for its weight at 7.4 seconds. However, while braking distance is superb, there’s a ton of fade in both the front and rear brakes.

I absolutely adore this restomod. It’s attractive, stylish, comfortable, and sounds great. Unfortunately, I just don’t have the money to run this thing day after day, it’s just too inefficient. Hopefully my home repair business will be successful enough that I’ll be able to afford this in the future.

Side note: I just want to thank findRED19 for making the restomod authentic. It would have been easy to choose modern materials and technologies to improve the score, but leaving them out makes this feel so much more realistic. Kudos for the beautiful design and for sticking to your story.

Lordvader1 - 2008 LVC Spacer V12 - $19920

4.0L V12 NA MPFI - 317hp
65 utility
17mpg

The LVC Spacer V12 has some pretty sharp looks, with a rally-inspired row of spotlights displayed prominently in front. The lines are crisp and clean and overall the Spacer feels tough and modern. (The lack of door handles is a little disconcerting, however.)

Inside the cab is what appears to be a 5-seat standard interior, but in some places I noticed some cheap-looking materials. It’s also lacking some safety features, and crash test results reveal that the Spacer is below average for a truck of this size. Cargo capacity is pretty good at 2808L.

Under the hood is a 4.0L V12 engine, which is practically unheard of at this price point. It’s super smooth and produces a simply beautiful sound, even through the mufflers. The exhaust is very restrictive and limits overall power output, but I can understand why they chose it. The restrictive exhaust results in a smoother powerband with a good amount of torque available early on. I think that a better-tuned VVL setup could produce more impressive results, however.

Driving the Spacer is fairly pleasant experience. This is the first vehicle I’ve tested to come with all-wheel drive and it makes a huge difference. Traction is greatly improved which helps to reduce wheelspin, increase acceleration and pull more load. The 5 speed automatic isn’t particularly well geared, an overdrive gear would improve economy while actually improving 0-60 time from 7 seconds flat to 6.8. Braking distance is excellent, but the brakes are very poorly balanced with far too much power in the rear and not enough in the front. There’s also quite a lot of fade in both front and rear.

While the Spacer has some very impressive high points, it ultimately feels like a very middling competitor. Utility, reliability, and comfort are all in the middle of the pack, and efficiency is well below average. Despite the jaw-dropping V12 and responsive AWD, at its core the Spacer is just another powerful but inefficient pickup truck. I’m looking for more out of my vehicle than being able to brag to my customers about how many cylinders it has.

TR8R - 2006 FOA Van Der Graft

3.0L V6 NA MPFI - 174hp
49.6*1.2 = 59.52 utility
21.7mpg

The FOA Van Der Graft has a somewhat plain exterior, and the front fascia looks a little empty as there is no grille to be found. The engine only receives cooling via two vents placed surreptitiously on the bumper. The looks aren’t terrible, but I’ve definitely seen better.

On the other hand, the interior of the Van Der Graft is one of the nicer ones I’ve seen so far. It’s a four seat interior made with pretty nice premium materials, there’s a few corners cut here and there but nothing major. It also comes with a SatNav system, which is a big plus for my job. Legroom is pretty good and the Van Der Graft still makes room for 2788L of cargo space in the back. The van has also scored quite well in safety testing. Strangely missing however is traction and stability control, which most of the other cars have.

The engine is a 3.0L V6 with a very odd VVL setup: the low and high cam profiles are extremely close to each other, meaning that there is very little gain in both performance and efficiency for the weight and cost of VVL. With an output of 174hp, the engine feels somewhat underpowered, and it doesn’t have the efficiency to make up for it either.

Driving the Van Der Graft is a very underwhelming experience. With the low engine output and very closely spaced gears, this van takes 11.5 seconds to reach 60, which is the slowest of all of the cars I’ve tested. Plus, it’s just annoying to have to shift the manual so often in a car this slow. Also, this van is front-wheel drive, which is fine for most people but is a poor choice for my needs. The reason is that putting lots of cargo in the rear will shift the weight distribution away from the driven wheels, reducing grip. With all my equipment loaded, the acceleration would be agonizingly slow.

The Van Der Graft is an example of a vehicle that isn’t bad for its intended purpose, but has just the right combination of downsides that makes it unsuitable for me. It’s very comfortable, practical, and would be a pretty decent option for a family. But it’s not very efficient, has below average reliability, and it’s just too weak and slow.

Dragawn - 2008 Dragotec Detroit - $19920

3.2L I6 Turbo DI - 200hp
64.3 utility
37.3mpg

The Dragotec Detroit is definitely a very interesting car. It’s a two-door, four-seat wagon designed for utility purposes. The styling looks very sleek and futuristic, with a steeply raked windshield and front fascia. While I can’t deny that it looks cool, the styling looks more like “weekend sports car” than “heavy duty work vehicle”. I’m not sure if it’s the right message for my customers.

The interior of the Detroit is quite nice, with premium materials and a standard CD player. This is definitely one of the more comfortable cars I’ve tested, and the excellent crash test scores are good, too. It has a reasonable 1571L of cargo space in the back, below average but probably OK for my needs.

The 3.2L I6 engine is very well designed for my needs. Eschewing VVL for a 5 valve/cylinder setup, the engine runs a very low cam profile which means lots of torque and high efficiency at low RPM. The small turbocharger spools quickly and runs a very small amount of boost, further improving efficiency but sacrificing power. However I think that more advanced ignition timing coupled with lower compression could have made it even better. The engine also seems awfully heavy for its power output - perhaps a smaller, lighter engine could have achieved similar efficiency and power with lower cost.

My test drive with the Detroit was very encouraging. Wheelspin is managed very well, and the 6 speed automatic is well geared. 0-60 is done in 9.1 seconds. The staggered tire setup is a little strange, but it does help with managing oversteer. The brakes are comfortable and nicely balanced, but they feel just a bit too weak for this car’s weight. Adaptive dampers and active sway bars help smooth out the bumps and improve handling.

All in all, I am very impressed with the Dragotec Detroit. The efficiency is great, and the car doesn’t sacrifice too much to achieve this. It’s very comfortable, easy to drive, and has a decent amount of power. Reliability isn’t bad either. The cargo capacity is just a little smaller than I would like, and I’m not sure if the looks are right for me.

HowlerAutomotive - 2008 Gnoo Utilight 160 - $15360

1.8L I4 Turbo DI - 161hp
59.1 utility
47.1mpg

I wasn’t really sure what to think when I first saw the Gnoo Utilight. This thing is tiny. I was ready to dismiss it as too small before the dealer told me the mileage: an awe-inspiring 47mpg! The looks are definitely outdated, but I found myself strangely attracted to them. It’s simple, no-nonsense, and functional, and I think that it sends the right message. I’ll just have to keep it clean, or else my customers will think I just bought some surplus vehicle off the scrap heap.

The interior of the Utilight is, as expected, pretty cramped. There’s four seats but I’m sure it won’t be long before my kids outgrow the rear legroom. The materials look pretty standard, nothing stands out. However, this Utilight does come with a SatNav system, which is perfect for my job. Considering the light weight of this car, safety is a concern, but Gnoo has taken care of that by putting in all the latest safety technology. It still gets tossed around a lot in the crash tests, but that’s because of the weight and that’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make.

Cargo space is, comparatively speaking, very small at just 941L. This is probably OK for my basic day-to-day needs, but if I need to haul any large equipment, I’ll need to tow a trailer. The engine’s 161hp output isn’t great, but since the Utilight is so, well, light, the power/weight ratio is still pretty good. The ladder chassis should also help with towing.

The 1.8L I4 turbo engine is nicely designed, with low turbo lag and an amazingly flat torque curve. I really have no criticisms, except that the exhaust seems oversized, adding unnecessary weight and cost. Also, I would like to see the engine made out of aluminum for lower weight and even better mileage.

On the road, the Gnoo Utililght feels like a Miata compared to all the other big, heavy vehicles I’ve been driving. This thing is seriously lightweight at just 1171kg, and despite the modest engine output, it can reach 60mph in just 7.9 seconds. The six speed manual includes an overdrive gear, and is definitely tuned for efficiency. Closer gear ratios could improve 0-60 time and reduce wheelspin, at a minor cost to economy. Steering is well managed, with a hint of understeer which is fine for my needs. Brakes are well balanced and there is no fade.

This car is quite well engineered and there aren’t too many weaknesses. The cargo size is the big one, but that can be worked around. The utility capability of this car is definitely limited compared to the other vehicles I’ve tested, but this thing is just so efficient, it makes up for that and then some. Plus, this is also the lowest priced vehicle here. With those two factors in mind, I’m going to be saving thousands of dollars over the lifetime of this car, and if I need to tow a trailer every now and then, that won’t be too bad.

Denta - 2008 Pragata Arjuna Te - $19920

3.3L V6 Turbo DI - 196hp
46.5*1.2 = 55.8 utility
31.3mpg

The Pragata Arjuna has pretty appealing exterior styling. As a crossover SUV, it looks modern and athletic, and well balanced. On the front fascia, the large hexagonal grilles complement each other well, although the lower corners look a little empty. The rear taillights also look quite nice. Overall, its personality feels fun and energetic.

Inside the Arjuna, it feels less exciting and more bone standard. The 5 seats are decent enough but the CD player is rather low end. Safety is standard for its class, although it lacks traction and stability control. The cargo space is a rather disappointing 1105L. I was expecting more out of an SUV, and since it’s a monocoque chassis it won’t be quite as good as a ladder for towing.

The Arjuna’s 3.3L aluminum V6 is very interestingly designed. Both cam profiles in the VVL system are optimized for low RPM, ranging from “basically idle” to “city cruising”. Torque peaks early and steadily decreases as the RPMs rise. Early torque is good for pulling power, but the falling torque curve means rather low output for a 3.3L turbo. A differently tuned VVL system and/or turbocharger could increase output without hurting low-end torque or even improving it.

Driving the Arjuna is not bad at all. The well-tuned AWD system, viscous LSD and large tires mean plenty of grip with no wheelspin whatsoever. The five speed manual is well geared, but I would have expected more at this price range. Braking is solid and handling feels neutral with a hint of oversteer. There’s a little too much body roll and the off-road swaybar doesn’t help, but it’s not a huge issue.

The Arjuna is a fairly well-designed crossover. There’s nothing very wrong with it, but compared to some of the others there’s nothing terribly impressive either. Ultimately, it’s not as good at utility as I would like, and there are far better candidates at this price range.

TheDzuiras - 2008 FSD Carger - $19800

3.2L V6 Turbo DI - 200hp
68.8 utility
25.3mpg

Boxy SUVs, like this FSD Carger, tend to be a love-it-or-hate-it design. I think that the Carger looks pretty decent, but kind of empty. The top part of the front fascia looks like BMW but the bottom part is just a big bumper. I’m also not a big fan of the handle-less electrically-opened doors. They’re cool at first, but in practice they seem slow and unresponsive, and an electrical failure would be a big problem. They would make sense on an expensive hypercar, where aerodynamics are crucial and theft is a major issue, but for this boxy mid-range SUV? What’s the point?

The 4-seat standard interior of the Carger feels just like all the others, although I quite like the CD player. However, the boxy shape does improve interior space, and the seats feel quite roomy. It also allows for 1447L of cargo space, which is not bad but I would have expected more.

The 3.2L V6 is designed for low-end torque at the expense of top-end performance. The long stroke engine, combined with fragile cast pistons, forces a rev limit of just 5300RPM. Peak torque comes at 2300RPM and falls steadily after that. I think this engine would be better if there was some more room for the engine to rev, but I understand the trade-off that was made.

Driving the Carger is just OK. The six speed manual would really benefit from an overdrive, but is otherwise passable. The brakes do their job but aren’t very well balanced. Also, I’ve heard that this engine has some overheating issues, which is not a good sign to me.

The FSD Carger is another middling SUV with unimpressive utility and efficiency, and quite below average reliability. I’m surprised it can get the mileage it does considering how heavy and unaerodynamic it is. For this kind of price, there are much better options available.

DeusExMackia - 2007 Erin Tauga S-AllDrive - $18600

2.6L I6 Turbo DI - 159hp
36.7*1.2 = 44 utility
36mpg

I had heard some great things about this British manufacturer so I was excited to try out the Erin Tauga. The front of the car looks clean and sharp, and the rear is just beautiful. The lines are clean, everything feels well balanced, and I absolutely love the design of the tail lights.

The interior of the car is just OK. The materials look pretty standard although they are a cut above some of the other cars I’ve tested, and the CD player feels kind of cheap. This is a passenger car through and through, and cargo volume is only 1099L, which is definitely on the small side. As with the Utilight, this is probably enough for my daily needs but if I need to deliver any heavy equipment, I’ll have to invest in a trailer. And with a monocoque body and a poor power-to-weight ratio, the Tauga isn’t ideal for towing, either. On the other hand, the Tauga has some seriously impressive safety technology and it’s scored at the top of its class in crash testing.

The Tauga’s turbocharged I6 engine seems to be very strangely designed to me. While advertised as a VVL engine, this engine doesn’t actually change cam profiles at all. Yet all the VVL parts are still there, adding weight and cost while doing basically nothing. The rev limiter is also set at 6800RPM, well past the engine’s max HP at 5400RPM. While this doesn’t hurt reliability all that much because of the short piston stroke, it does make me think that an actually working VVL system could have produced far better high-RPM performance while still being efficient at low speeds. As I mentioned before, the 2.0L I6 turbo I worked on for Inline Designs produced 187hp while being smaller, lighter, and just about as efficient.

My test drive in the Tauga was quite enjoyable. The all-wheel drive system provides excellent traction in all situations. The 6 speed manual is decently geared, but I feel that more spacing between the gears and a higher top gear could have allowed for better acceleration and economy. The Tauga is also fitted with a staggered tire setup to reduce oversteer. The solid disc brakes are well balanced but they exhibit quite a bit of fade. Vented discs are needed, and using a conventional tire setup could have easily freed up the money for them.

While the estate body does add some cargo volume, the Tauga is simply not designed for any sort of heavy duty work. With a better designed engine and some tuning improvements, I’d be very happy to buy the Tauga for my wife and family. But it’s not something I can seriously consider for my work vehicle.

Rcracer11m - 2007 Mott Works Vigor - $19920

3.0L I4 Turbo DI - 245hp
60.1 Utility
40mpg

The Mott Works Vigor is sleek and angular, and looks like a spaceship straight out of Star Trek. The styling is at once both futuristic and dated. However, both the front and rear fascias look rather bland. As with the Dragotec Detroit, the looks aren’t bad, but I don’t think they send the right message to my customers. Aside from the appearance, it can’t be denied that the Vigor is extremely aerodynamic, as the steeply raked front contributes to a drag area of just 0.432 square meters.

The interior of the Vigor is pretty nice. There’s only two seats, but that should be sufficient most of the time. They are comfortable and made of premium materials. There’s no SatNav, unfortunately, but the CD player is well designed and the sound quality is higher than some of the other cars I’ve tested. Safety is very good for its class. In the rear there’s an excellent 3576L of cargo space.

Under the hood is a 3.0L I4 turbo made of AlSi, giving it a good power-to-weight ratio. The big cylinders mean that smoothness is below average, although it’s not as bad as I would have thought. Long strokes necessitate the need for more expensive forged components, while most other engines can use cheaper and more efficient cast parts. The turbo is sized nicely with very little lag and a relatively flat torque curve. Overall, it’s a solid engine that’s economical and powerful. I’m a sucker for an inline six, but I do think that it would have been the better choice here.

The Mott Works Vigor is actually quite fun to drive. With its oversteering characteristics, a capable 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds, and excellent aerodynamics, it’s probably the most sporty-feeling of all the vehicles I’ve tested. However, that sportiness comes at the cost of utility, as several factors combine to limit the utility potential of this van. The six speed semi-automatic transmission delivers good efficiency with the ease of use of an automatic, but it still can’t match the torque converter for utility. The alloy wheels and lack of any sort of locking differential also hold it back. The wishbone and solid axle coil suspension setup is a little strange, compromising on both sportiness and utility. I would have preferred a more conventional strut and leaf combination to maximize load capacity.

All in all, the Mott Works Vigor has many redeeming qualities. High efficiency, good comfort, and lots of cargo space definitely puts it on the short list. Unfortunately, the design just seems full of untapped utility potential. For now, it’s still neck and neck with a couple of the other competitors.

AirJordan - 2007 Smooth Tool V8 - $19680

4.4L V8 NA DI - 216hp
68.7 utility
23mpg

The Smooth Tool V8 looks pretty unique. The front grille resembles something between a frowny face and a mustache. The rear looks quite nice, although it appears the the license plate has been mounted backwards. I don’t love the looks, but they aren’t bad, either.

Like many other vehicles I’ve tested, the Smooth Tool comes with a 5-seat standard interior and CD player. The materials look a bit better than the rest. The crash test scores are pretty good. In the rear there’s a sufficient 2152L of cargo space.

The 4.4L V8 engine is… pretty unimpressive. For an engine of this size, the 216hp power output is quite low. While the cam profile is optimized for low RPMs, the 279 ft-lb of torque isn’t all that great, either. And the engine efficiency is still well below average. Ultimately, the technology in this engine is just too simple and outdated to be competitive. No turbo, no VVL, SOHC, and only 3 valves per cylinder severely limit the efficiency and power of this engine. The simplicity does make the engine very reliable, but that seems to be its only redeeming trait.

The Smooth Tool is quite easy to drive compared to some of the other vehicles. The six speed automatic is fairly well geared, but there’s still a bit too much wheelspin. The brakes are comfortable and well balanced, although I noticed a little bit of fade in the rear. Steering is neutral because of the staggered tire setup.

In the end, the Smooth Tool V8 is decent enough, but it really doesn’t stand out from the crowd. Both utility and efficiency are far from the top of the list, and it doesn’t excel in any other areas.

Koolkei - 2007 Vanartic Trans - $19200

5.5L V8 NA DI - 269hp
74.2 utility
25.8mpg

The Vanartic Trans’s styling is… interesting, to say the least. The bright purple paintjob and liberal use of LED strips make me think of street racing tuner cars. I’m also really not sure what is going on with the rear tail lights. I know that there are those who would appreciate the styling, but I don’t think it’s what I would want to show my customers.

Despite the exterior’s edgy looks, the interior feels pretty standard for a family van, with 6 seats and a CD player. Safety technology is good, as you’d expect. Since there are 3 rows of seats, the rear cargo space is actually quite small at only 962L. While I would prefer more space dedicated to cargo, it’s not a big issue to simply fold down the seats.

I was taken aback when I first saw the Trans’s engine. This thing is freaking huge. But despite its massive 5.5 liters of displacement, it only puts out 269hp. It’s a big, heavy-duty truck engine stuffed into a van, with a low cam profile and lots of low-end torque. And while that makes it a great engine for hauling cargo, it comes at a cost: weight. The big engine is made entirely out of cast iron and it weighs close to 300 kilos. While the mileage is respectable, I can’t help but think that it could be much higher with a lighter engine.

Besides the weight, the Trans doesn’t feel too bad to drive around. The six speed automatic is well geared, with an overdrive gear and not too much wheelspin. Acceleration is pretty quick at 7.6 seconds to 60. The brakes are reasonable, with a hint of fade in the rear. I think that a single piston rear caliper would have been better for balance.

The Vanartic Trans seems to be a mish-mash of different goals. The body and interior say family, the engine says heavy-duty truck, and the exterior styling says street racer. Ultimately, it’s a highly capable utility van that can haul both people and cargo. But the gas mileage is unimpressive and the looks don’t agree with my needs.

Nerd - 2006 Rado T500 - $19080

2.8L I4 Turbo MPFI - 145hp
47 utility
21mpg

I had gone through quite a few vehicles by this point, and I had already cut down the competitors to a few finalists. However, as I was mulling things over and beginning to come to a decision, I had a new problem on my hands - my car failed to start!

I know my way around an engine, but fixing this car would take time and money that I really don’t have right now. Luckily my longtime mechanic friend Dave offered to take it to his shop and fix it for free. He even let me borrow one of his trucks so I wouldn’t be stuck at home. What a nice guy!

I was a little less impressed when Dave showed me what he let me borrow - a 2006 Rado T500. While Dave told me it was “military green,” the paint job on this T500 looks more like puke green to me. The styling is boring and unimpressive, although the front does remind me a bit of a Miata.

The interior of this truck actually isn’t that bad, although with 6 seats it can feel a little bit cramped. There’s also a luxury SatNav system which looks so out of place I’m sure Dave must have stolen it from somewhere and hacked it into this T500.

In terms of performance, the Rado’s engine would find it hard to compete with engines from the 80s. Despite 2.8L of displacement and a turbocharger, it can only muster a laughable 147hp. The rev limiter cuts off at just 4000RPM, and it has to, because otherwise the stupidly heavy pistons and conrods will cause the engine to self-destruct.

Driving the T500 is an incredibly unpleasant experience. Starting the engine, I’m greeted with one of the most pathetic exhaust notes I’ve ever heard. Pushing the engine even a tiny bit feels like riding on an earthquake. The skinny tires provide basically no grip, and 0-60 takes an agonizing 15.4 seconds. Steering is terrible, with tons of understeer even at low speeds. And I think I’d rather jump out of this car rather than hope that the brakes will stop it in time.

After a few days of torturing myself and my family, I finally got my car back from Dave. He returned my car with a suspicious-looking grin on his face. “Just some problems with the spark plugs,” he said. “No biggie.” How could… wait a minute! Did he sabotage my car just to get me to drive the T500? That sick bastard!

2 Likes

General thoughts

First of all, I’ve belatedly realized the inconvenience of hosting a utility-focused challenge right when the utility calculations are being redone in the beta. Had I known in advance I probably would have chosen a different challenge. If anything, the beta calculations are probably more realistic, and I’m sorry to anyone who lost out on utility score because of this. But I stated at the beginning that I would judge in stable, so it’s only fair that I stick to it.
Also, I’ve got a couple suggestions based on what I’ve seen in the submissions. First of all, there’s a surprisingly high usage of high-flow catalytic converters. High-flow cats are nice, but they provide relatively little benefit for their high cost. In my opinion, the money is better spent elsewhere, such as DOHC. In addition, I saw a rather low number of AWD vehicles. Many of the FR vehicles have tons of wheelspin, because there’s not enough traction to put the power to the ground. AWD is heavy and inefficient but it makes a huge difference in terms of both acceleration and utility. In some cases AWD doesn’t even hurt efficiency because you’re not wasting power to spin the wheels.

Finalists

HowlerAutomotive - 2008 Gnoo Utilight. Unique and stands out in the field of competitors. Unbelievable efficiency and low cost. Despite its size, it is very well engineered for utility. SatNav system is an unexpected bonus for the price. But it does feel small and cramped, and the safety is quite below average.

Thecarlover - 2008 Solo Brute CM. By far the best looking vehicle that’s not a restomod. High utility and reasonable efficiency for its weight. Fantastic practicality and great off-road ability. The Solo Brute can do everything and look good while doing it, but drivability is an issue.

Rcracer11m - 2007 Mott Works Vigor. Excellent efficiency, lots of cargo space, good comfort and sportiness. Some design choices limit its utility.

Dragawn - 2008 Dragotec Detroit. Great efficiency, good utility, and top-tier comfort in this price range. Excellent combination of safety and drivability. Not a huge fan of the looks, at least for my purposes.

Conclusion

My heart is with the Brute, for its do-everything nature and fantastic looks. Alas, now is not the time for excess. I’ve been out of work for months, and the more money I can save the more money I can invest to make sure my business puts enough food on the table. The Utilight has the lowest price tag and it will save me even more money in the long run. The other cars are more comfortable, more sporty, and bigger, but the Utilight does all the basic things I need very well, and even includes a SatNav system to get me where I need to go. It’s well engineered and really makes the most out of its small size. On another day, I would have the money to splurge on a nicer car, but the Utilight delivers the best value for what I need, right here, right now. It’s not what I was expecting, and not even what I was looking for at first, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that the the Utilight is the right choice.

Congratulations to @HowlerAutomotive!

Thanks to everyone for participating! There were some really great entries. The finalists were all super well designed and I had a really tough time choosing. By the way, I threw together a pickup truck to test the rules, and let me just say that I wouldn’t have made the finalists in my own competition!

1 Like

Congrats to @HowlerAutomotive for a well deserved win! :sunglasses:

well done guys good challenge. Congrats to @HowlerAutomotive. Just one question…did you forget to turn the on board wi-fi on, as the satnav works from google earth, sorry ANZhotrods does apologize for loosing the owners manual.

Ooh! Thank you very much!

My first quick shot at this one was a van reasonably similar to a few other contenders here. But then I went back and reread the round rules and thought I’d go for something a little different instead. Good times.

I do have an idea for the next round, but seeing as most people now seem to be running the Open Beta, I’ll go and install that first for a quick look and think. I’ll try to have some rules together today or tomorrow.

Yay my SUV had the reliability of a Range Rover :laughing: (we all know how those things were), it had the handling of a Ford Explorer, the wheel spin of an El Camino :joy:

If there are issues with beta, do let me know, and we can be a little lenient on the timing rules. I can’t tell, because I switch between stable and closed beta, and rarely run open beta.

fudge. i must’ve derped and designed my car in the open beta. because as i remember it my van has 96 utility scores and not 74. hence why i went with the huge, heavy and burly engine with rather average efficiency, that, and also to push down cost. $19200 for cast iron engine and $19800 for AlSi engine.

anyway. having done this full feature reviews on these short competitions. i can see that you’ve put the time to get the reviews done nice. very much appreciated :slight_smile:

edit: yup checked it. 74.2 on stable and this on open beta

That Rado T500 was ordered with the “Technology Package” option.
That’s why it had luxury satnav.

Well done @HowlerAutomotive! And I now realise that I have had absolutley no idea how VVL works all the time I’ve been playing this game. Thanks @phale! :joy:

1 Like

The Car Shopping Round 14:

The year is 2015.

The technology sector in Blomozvakia is booming, in no small part thanks to the strong global sales numbers of the local car manufacturer Gnoo Motorki. An enormous new technology park is being constructed around their development headquarters in the town of Prezdulbu and ground has been broken for the full size racetrack Nutsoring, due to be completed next year.

It’s not all about Gnoo, of course. The technology park and track are attracting independent parts manufacturers, racing teams, IT and engineering companies and all the infrastructure that comes with those. Foreign investments are at an all-time high. A flood of executives with watches more expensive than the average house is flowing back and forth between Prezdulbu and the international airport in Bralka – and I’ve heard rumors they are not happy with the simple
little taxis that are common in Blomozvakia.

I have applied for some capital and intend to make the executives’ lives better - for a fair price. I am looking to buy three luxury people carriers to ferry the moneymen back and forth in comfort that befits their expectations, and at a speed that will make any motoring enthusiast grin (and will require us to make a Special Agreement with the local law enforcement).

I’ve had a look at some of the offerings on the market today. The Howler Olympos LXT is fast and luxurious, but too expensive. Since the company is new and will be taking a loan to purchase the vehicles, our resources are limited. The Gnoo Hauliflower DADSPEED is cheap and quick, but Gnoo is known for their affordable consumer cars, so it doesn’t really exude the kind of aura we are looking for.

The Important

Looks, Comfort and Prestige are what will attract our customers. Our prices will be considerably higher than those of regular taxis, so we need to have ample justification.

Speed is important. The cars will be tested on two racetracks, one of which will be Green Hell. A good portion of the time, we will be carrying people with an enthusiasm for motoring and speed. The road to Bralka is nice and twisty and we plan to make good use of it. And when Nutsoring is ready, we want to offer a track taxi service as well.

Safety is important. Accidents happen, especially when going fast, and we want our clients to be safe.

The price of the vehicles will be a considerable part of our budget. Insurance, upkeep and fuel costs will play an important part in whether the business is successful or not. Reliability will affect repair prices, availability and perhaps most importantly, reputation.

Drivability is not as important as track times – we will be employing professional racing drivers and at full tilt the customers will get tired before them. Having said that, if the car is completely uncontrollable, that is a big problem.

It is crucial to have some cargo space, because our customers will be likely to have luggage. My research suggests most seem to travel with on-board hand luggage, but some will have more.

Open Beta.
Build Year 2015. No factory settings and no price adjustments.
Maximum price of $33000 with 10% markup.
No restriction to body type.
Minimum 5 seats, more passenger space is better.
Premium 95 fuel, no leaded, catalytic converter required.
45 loudness maximum.
Road Legal cars – lights, door handles and so on. A special agreement will only take you so far.
Mods: High Quality Essentials.
Car Body mods from Steam Workshop are allowed, but you must provide a link.

Submission format:
Model: CSR14 - Username
Trim: Car Name
Engine: CSR14 - Username
Variant: Engine Name

DEADLINE:
Thursday June 2nd @ Noon GMT.

Note: I came up with this challenge when I first joined Round 12 so that I’d have something to go on if I ever won one. The Olympos and Hauliflower DADSPEED are what I quickly put together to get a sense for the price. Unfortunately, I completely gutted the Hauliflower when Round 13 came around. I really wish there was a way to copy a car without locking it into variants. :slight_smile:

Questions, comments?

6 Likes

You mentioned people carriers/minivans, is that the only option we have to work with? Or can it be any kind of car so long as it serves as a capable taxi?

Any car with 5 or more seats that meets the criteria.

I made the minivans just to gauge the price and compare passenger space/performance with some of my existing cars.

Semi-slicks allowed?

Semi slicks would definitely be on for track taxi and probably look real enough to be waved off with a Special Agreement, so Yes.

Are we still running open beta? If so, I think I’m going to have to crack it open to have a shot.