The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

thanks @findRED19 ! I even surprised myself with this one :slight_smile:

@Sillyworld am I sensing a little photoshop material here :wink: :wink:

Crap, My engine family is not saving the variant years, so now I need to re-create it! My submission will be a classic muscle car released for the Fruinian marketā€¦ But itā€™s not the exact trim I used for the Fruinian Muscle Car Challenge, as I feel I should not reuse the same trim for several challenges at once.

Presenting the Mott Works Bestial

The Bestial is a high performance, and luxurious, American sedan. Its powered by a 4.8L V8 making 575hp, propelling the car to 60mph in 5.1 seconds through a 7 speed manual transmission and is also able to reach 200+mph. Despite this great performance it is still a fairly fuel efficient vehicle, achieving 22mpg thanks to the use of VVL on the engine, a fully clad undertray, and active cooling flaps combined with extensive research that went into the aerodynamics, transmission and engine.

The interior of the car is filled with luxurious heated and cooled leather seats as well as a 10in display to access various different settings for the car. There is also a heads up display projected onto the front windshield that shows you your speed and rpm without needing to look away from the road. All of this is available for just $35,000.

2 Likes

Solo Motors Co. would like to present the 2013 Jetstream SM! The legendary nameplate thatā€™s appeared and disappeared over the year is celebrating its 50th year, and so a new model was in order. We decided that a V8-powered premium sport sedan was the way to go with it, much like the original car. While the more tame models are available with a 5.3L V8, in honour of the 1953 original, the SM trim needed somethingā€¦ bigger. Something like a 6.0L 32V DOHC V8 producing 645 hp and 463 ft-lb of torque. Itā€™s enough to send the Jetstream from 0-62 mph in 4.8 seconds and to a top speed just over 200 mph.

The car is aluminium bodied with an AHS steel frame and double wishbone suspension on all wheels. The 6-speed sequential transmission with a geared differential provides the most of the V8ā€™s power at a reasonable cost. All four wheels are 265 mm wide sport compound, so while not cheap, they can at least be rotated properly. We also made sure that fuel economy was reasonable, even in a sport sedan, and so you can expect 21.3 mpg from it. It also happens to run on regular fuel, so it should be easy on your wallet in the long run. Inside, youā€™ll find a high quality premium interior with advanced safety features, should the worse happen. We at Solo take quality seriously, as we design our cars to handle many years of the harsh Canadian weather and roads, making them excellent in any climate.

This 2013 Solo Jetstream SM in Frost White can be yours for only $30,030 with our 5 year/unlimited miles warranty.

8 Likes

The styling level on this thread is now ridiculous. Not just this round, simply increasing throughout the rounds. Iā€™m really racking my brains on how to keep up.

8 Likes

Sorry for double post, I just realised I had a separate question before I submit:

Do you actually require 4 seats, or can you do fine with just 2 since you already have your ā€œpractical truckā€?

Because if you need 4, Iā€™m going to have to rebalance the weight distribution of my car slightly.

My entry was based on the assumption that the current round master already had four seats in his truck. Besides, there are already several two-seaters in the list of submissions.

And this latest round reminds me of Stage 2 of the Big Fruinian Muscle Cars Cup - except unlike that challenge, the latest year of eligibility is 2013, and cars made before 1984 may be submitted.

That contest is closed for entries, but TCSR15 is still open at the time of writing. In both cases I faced the same dilemma confronting every other entrant: should I create something affordable with balanced stats, or spend as much money as my budget allows to overwhelm the competition with sheer firepower? I chose the latter; fingers crossed that it works (Iā€™ve seen great examples of both philosophies).

yup. except when the challenge is creating an all-rounder car. you usually would be better off setting of a goal that fits into the rule, trying your best at it. at least thatā€™s what i learned.
a mediocre car will get most likely mediocre score. a wild card car, will either get you to either the top of the board, or the bottom, thatā€™s how i build my cars now :stuck_out_tongue:. you can see that on my car, on some of the challenges i participated lately.

Iā€™m building something thatā€™s similar to a Lexus RC F, but 500lbs lighter. Hehe.
Itā€™s quite a lot under the 40k limit currentlyā€¦ but making it more expensive would also make it heavier, and compromise its performanceā€¦

I do not believe that I made or intended to make a seat rule. Therefore, 2 seats is perfectly acceptable.

1 Like

Introducing the ABR Ibex, a rather sober participant considering it is an ABR car. Built around a bulletproof 317ci v8 with 78,6 engine reliability, the Ibex will ALWAYS get you there.

With 454 HP it will get you there quick, doing 0-62 mph in 4,6 seconds and a top speed of over 200mph. Worried about economy? Donā€™t be, cause you will be getting 22,5 mpg(US) and there is room for 3 passengers as well, all comfortable with premium interior and entertainment of improved quality.

Through advanced engineering buttonmashing and fidgeting, the Ibex is as easy to drive as a prius with 52,2 drivability while maintaining a sportiness of 61,1. The ability to grip with 1,25G in both low and high speed corners allows you drive in rings around most cars. Should you for instance feel inclined to take a trip to Green Hell it would take you 7,54,75 around the track, faster than for instance a BMW M5(F10), a Ferrari F430 F1 or a Cateram R500 superlight. And if you are waiting at a red light and someone all of a sudden challenges you to a dragrace, itā€™ll only take you 12,66 seconds which is faster than for instance a Dodge Viper, BMW M6 or Mercedes CLK 63 AMG

At last, should the modifying bug hit you, there is plenty of room under the bonnet and the bonnet itself is sculpted to make room for either a supercharger or turbo. Available at your nearest ABR dealership today

5 Likes

#1970 AEA Barracuda FSX-R for sale!

Odometer reads 36,000 miles, possibly original mileage!

Mostly original car! Repainted factory blue in 2004. Bucket seats reupholstered in 2004 also.

RARE OPTIONS!
Rare factory rear seat delete, and optional AM Radio combo!
No power steering! as from the factory could not fit it with the bigblock!
455ci Original BigBlock! Factory rated at 350hp!
4spd Manual with limited slip diff!
capable of sub 14second quarter mile!
Designed for 92RON leaded, can use 95Ron unleaded.

Once had a roll cage installed in it.
95% rust free!
Factory Shaker style hood scoop!

###Need gone by the end of the month!
##Asking $24,500 obo
call or txt Ron @ [cell number here]

7 Likes

that is, after the odo has reached 999,999 and turned back to 0 again :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was gonna suggest that someone put it on a lift and drove it in reverse about 70,000 miles or so.

1 Like

Sorry, I literally posted that right before I had to leave for work. Hereā€™s the rest of the story:
#(warning, I just realized I may have gone a bit overboard with this story, itā€™s long!)

[Ron talking to @KLinardo or any other potential buyer]
###Yeah, Iā€™m not 100% sure if the mileage is 36,000 or 136,000, and hereā€™s the historyā€¦
I bought this car from a guy named Fred in 2001. When I bought it, Fred told me what history he knew. He knew the owner before him bought the car around 1981 to use for racingā€¦ Road Racing!
Iā€™m not sure why you would want a bigblock to go road racing with, but thatā€™s what he bought it for.

Joel, Fred told me his name was Joel.

Anyway, he bought it some time around 1981 and put in a roll cage for road racing. He also got a nice set of rims, I think Fred said they were Minilites. Thenā€¦ Now hereā€™s the kicker! Then he entered into his first race. The story is, he spun out in a high-speed corner due to the torque this engine produces. He didnā€™t damage the car, but the person behind him lost control trying to avoid Joelā€™s spin-outā€¦ And that person crashed, suffering some major injury!

After that, Joel sold the car, and everything that was remotely related to the car, to Fred for dirt cheap. That was around 1982.

So Fred got the car and un-did whatever modifications Joel did, including getting rid of the roll cage. He did this all in his garage, as he was young and cash was tight. And Fred got the car as close as he could to factory specs and condition, given his tight budget. Then he used the car as a daily driver, as the 1980s were the time the 1960s muscle cars became cool again. He thought he put on 4,000 to 6,000 miles on it in the three years he drove it. Then Fred got into his current career, and was able to buy a new car. So the Barracuda sat in his garage, only to be used a few times a year for the next 2 years.

Then life happened. Fred got married, and started a family with his wife. They got a son. So, the Barracuda sat inside the garage.

In 1987 Fred got a new ā€œtoyā€, a brand new 5.0L Mustang with the 5 speed manual. He started taking the Barracuda out on drives as well. Him and his family even went to car shows together, his wife drove the Mustang, and he drove the Barracuda.

Then life struck again, as his wife was expecting another child. The Mustang was sold for a more practical car, but, he could not let go of the Barracuda.

That car sat in his garage for years, only to be taken out periodically or on special occasions. Then, in the 1990s he had ā€œfamily troublesā€ as he puts it. Fred held onto the car, but even more tragedy struck when he was diagnosed with a terminal illness in 2001, given only 2 years to live, andā€¦ His wife was filing for a divorce, and his kids hated him.

I, to this day, cannot understand why his kids hated him so, when I knew Fred he was a nice, if slightly rough-around-the-edges kind of guy. He never slandered anyone, and never really got mad at anyone, he was justā€¦ ā€œbeatenā€ by life. So, to keep his precious Barracuda away from those that would do it harm, he sold it to me [Ron] in late 2001 with about 30,500 miles on the odometer. It was in ok condition. The drivetrain was in great shape, but the paint was fading, and the seats were torn. I worked over the basics on the drivetrain, like spark plugs, fresh fluids, anyway just to be on the safe side, but that big block has always run strong, the trans has always shifted smooth, and Iā€™ve always been able to light up the rears.

The body had its share of scratches and dents, and the blue was fading into a dull grayish color, so over the winter of 2003 I prepped it for a paint job. That paint job came in early 2004. Boy did it look sweet! With the exterior now looking amazing, I needed to fix the beat up seats. So I had my uncle redo the upholstery on the leather bucket seats later that year.

I drove that car everywhere I could for the next 3 years. I think I put another 4,000 miles on the car. Then the 2008 crash came. With gas super high, and the market crash, I left the Barracuda in the garage more than I wanted to.

In 2010 I met the love of my life, even when I thought I would be forever a bachelor. We got married in 2011, and I drove the car everywhere with her. But now, the reason why Iā€™m selling. I donā€™t have a high-paying job, and the rear seat delete is not going to help my family anymore, because weā€™re expecting our first kid. My wife, as much as she loves that car, knows better and wants it sold by the end of the month so we can get a new, safe family vehicle.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m only asking $24,500 obo, as I need it gone by the end of the month so I can get a new, safe family vehicle. I donā€™t want this car to sit in a garage like it has all itā€™s life, I want a buyer who will drive it.

6 Likes

oh wow. this is probably the most emotional story written in this forum that i have ever readā€¦ good job there.

1 Like

Thatā€™s sneaky. Very sneaky.

Iā€™m just going to have to ruthlessly crush those feels with a superior car :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You bastard! :wink:

Hm. @KLinardo are you having trouble seeing the fixtures on my car? Because when I load them they do keep disappearing (I suspect this is something to do with @Razyx updating them and their paths changingā€¦ at least sometimes. They could also just not be refreshing correctly.)

So right now Iā€™m unable to upload my pictures because the carā€™s borked. When was the deadline again?