The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

The Volara Carbon gets 1:15.86 on Airfield. Not great, but not bad for hard compound tires, I’d say :slight_smile: If I completely remove the offroad elements and optimize for speed, I can get it into the 12 second range.

That’s pretty quick for an offroad rating of 50!!!

I debated using an offroad undertray etc. etc., then I said to myself, no, I picked this supercar body, the buyer said they were going to take it to the track, I won’t compromise on that.

But I’m really glad somebody went and made a rally supercar. In fact it kind of makes me want to revive an idea of @Manche’s from way back, but I’ve got too much to do.

But imagine if Group B rally went on as it did with ridiculously overpowered offroad cars to the point where you had 900bhp offroaders doing massive sand drifts xD

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I was going for haha. Can you imagine a LMP rally car with hybrid systems and aerodynamics up the wazoo? Would be freaking insane.

i think the person who will actually drives that needs to be literally insane…

Well there are these things called trailblazers

Effectively an lmp bodied rally car.

3 Likes

They aren’t all LMP bodied. But they are all insane.

Rated at a very driveable 900+ Horsepower, (And that’s Gasoline alone, making them nearly as powerful as an LMP1 car) cars like this can easily climb Pikes Peak in ten minutes.

correction that’s “the monster” 's car.

it’s not really 900hp. it’s 450HPx2 as in, it has 2x 450hp each powering front and rear wheels

My intention was never to build an off-road hypercar… I always felt it would be too compromised if I took that approach.

memory refreshment?

Well yes, I was thinking about trailblazers (IMO one of the best things about Dirt 2 and 3… what you should do in multiplayer is make everybody drive max tier trailblazer cars on a Raid track… absolute carnage…) But naturally they’re not daily driver production models :stuck_out_tongue:

Also @koolkei Tajima’s Escudo is but a single example of such a car. Rod Millen’s “Chevy Tacoma” Pikes Peak edition wrung out almost 1000bhp from what was essentially a 2.1l Celica engine. His son, Rhys, was quite fond of basing his model on a Hyundai Genesis, using a 900bhp-ish 4.1L.

I love the Tacoma Pikes Peak (Rod millen is one of my Idols)

1 Like
I got bored.
4 Likes

I only ever raced the trailblazer once in dirt 3 and it took me a few tries to finish the race since its not very easy to do a rally stage without a co-driver or pace notes.

As stated earlier, I quickly realized that gravel and hypercars simply do not mix for the sake of lap times, which I did not (and seldom would) sacrifice too much comfort for.

I can’t find the pic, but I remember watching a video about a semi truck that ran up Pikes Peak using a modified Cummins N14 producing over 2000 ponies.

This?

2 Likes

The one I was looking at was older, it was an International Cabover chassis. Since then there have been others, the one I was looking at was the first one to do the climb.

Seems like there are a few ideas floating around for the next round :stuck_out_tongue:

I just finished the reviews, so now I need to find which car is the winner and I’ll have it all posted soon.

1 Like

hype hype HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

July 1st, 2006. 7:00 am.

I am presently standing in front of my family’s northern Ontario estate with 23 cars on the driveway before me, all delivered during the night. I feel a sense of excitement for things to come now that I’m the man of the house. I will be taking every one of these cars out for a drive on the forest highway, take a dirt road “shortcut” and finally bring them to the Automation Track located in the area, where I’ll truly test their limits. Before the end of the day, I will choose my favourite to become my new daily driver.

Let us begin, in no particular order…

##@HowlerAutomotive Howler Invisigoth R15

The first car in the line was the Howler Invisigoth R15, and it was quite a startling sight so early in the morning. Getting over the aggressive front styling, I went around the whole car and came to a realisation: this is a race body dressed up for the streets. While I do like the detailing in the design, something designed as a racecar, with no rear window, a tight cabin, and a shape that is purely about aerodynamics over styling, I’m a little apprehensive. I’ll have to give to go beyond its looks to make a decision about it.
Most of the exterior is high quality, which I really appreciate, though the chassis, brakes, and suspension quality seem pretty average. Lifting open the entire rear of the car, I’m greeted with an 8.1L twin-turbo V8 producing an even 1500 hp and 1146 ft-lb of torque. Definitely more of that racecar design in here. I cannot fault the quality of the engine, so now it’s time to take it for a spin.
Getting inside the cramped cabin, I’m surprised by the hand made interior and luxury eletronics. No racecar here. The quality of these and the safety features is quite average, so I have some doubts about how they’ll hold up over time. I do plan on driving the car I choose for many years to come. Pulling onto the highway, I realise how heavy a car this is, and some understeer is present. Must be the average suspension. Driving it is not quite as easy as I would like, especially when the turbo spools up and sends the torque levels up a cliffside. Even with the hand made interior, the comfort isn’t all that good and gets quite bad on the dirt road. The race track can’t come soon enough.
Where this car truly shines is on the track, with a 0-100 time of 2.6, a top speed of 407 km/h, and stiff suspension to handle the curves. I ultimately manage a 1:57.26 around, and that is certainly impressive. I feel that this will turn out to be one of the fastest cars of the lot.
Final verdict: At $158,800 this is a quite good supercar but it’s too track-oriented for my tastes. The daily driving aspect seems to have been compromised in order to provide the ultimate track experience and this is not quite what I’m looking for. Too much from the hare, not enough from the turtle.

##@HighOctaneLove Bogliq Ambassador Action Express

The next car for me to drive stands out from afar with its bright blue paint. It has to be a Bogliq. The Ambassador Action Express is an all-aluminium sedan, which is surprising in terms of a supercar, so I wonder if I just might have a wild yet practical ride on my hands. I do find that the front and rear designs are a bit mismatched, with the front being quite sober and the rear quite brash. I’m not sure how to feel about it.
Like the Howler before it, quality was skipped on the brakes and suspension, but the chassis is of very high quality. Opening the front hood of this large sedan, I find where the supercar is hidden. I’m greeted with a 7L twin-turbo V12 producing 806 hp and 723 ft-lb of torque. Not bad, not bad at all. The engine quality is superb, I cannot fault the Moldovan engineers in this regard.
Where the previous car felt rather cramped, the Ambassador is very spacious, with four proper luxury seats. The electronics are premium, which seem a bit odd for the luxury interior, and while the engineers are worth commending, the interior designers are not. Everything is of average quality, which is rather disappointing. Rather surprisingly, the spacious luxury interior isn’t all that comfortable. It appears most of the budget was allocated to an exceptional engine and so the interior just isn’t quite what I expected. It’s quite heavy, which I did expect for this one, but it seems rather suited for such weight and is quite drivable. One advantage on the drive to the track is that being a sedan, the ground clearance is higher than a typical supercar, it fares better for daily driving. At nearly 24 mpg, the fuel economy is quite impressive considering the kind of car it is, at al
At the track is where I truly realise a supercar is hidden within this large sedan. 0-100 in 3.1 seconds and a top speed just over 350 km/h. It pulled a 2:07.59 on the track, definitely making it the fastest sedan I’ve taken on there.
Final verdict: Costing $157,400, I expected more in terms of interior quality and features from this sedan. It does shine in terms of practicality and is a true supercar, but it doesn’t quite strike my fancy. Good in theory, not quite there in practice.

##@Darkshine5 DSD triple 3 turbo

Following the large racecar and huge sedan is the DSD triple 3 turbo. It’s tiny and aggressive, reminding me of a chihuahua. The design is just… too much for me. It’s hard to place my finger on it directly, but there’s no cohesion to it, with some parts looking good, others looking like they were slapped on five minutes before being delivered to me.
Of course I have to examine the quality of this one as well, and I’m pleased. Finally a car that has everything of above-average quality, with the body and chassis being quite excellent and the active suspension being along the lines of what I’m looking for. Opening the hood at the rear, I’m surprised to find a trunk. I was sure this was a mid-engined car. Under the proper hood sits a 5.5L twin-turbo V8 producing 574 hp and 483 ft-lb of torque. Not that exceptional compared to the previous car, but considering its size, this should be more than enough. The quality of the components varies a bit, some being excellent while others are just barely above average levels.
As expected from such a small car, the cabin is cramped. Very much so. The hand-made interior is nice, while the premium electronics seem rather low-class in comparison but I cannot fault the quality of either. The comfort levels are quite nice, especially considering the space, so this might not be too bad of a car for daily driving. On the drive to the track, I come to realise that it really is a nice car to drive, the turbo spools up quite smoothly, and the size and weight make it quite agile and fun in a way that is only possible with a small car. The stiff suspension definitely makes itself felt on the dirt road, but the quality interior helps to mitigate the discomfort.
Taking the DSD triple 3 turbo on the track was quite different from the other cars, as its size made me feel closer to the action. 0-100 in 3.1 seconds and a top speed of 331 km/h, while not exceptional for a supercar, feel much more intense due to the size of the car. The 2:06.38 on the track is quite average, however.
Final verdict: I just can’t get into the design, but the interior surprised me. For $159,600 I could probably get more, as this car is quite average as a supercar. I do however like the thrills provided by its size. Ultimately more of a loving chihuahua with an angry mug.

##@lordvader1 cliffhanger

The cliffhanger caught my eye from the beginning, and it is quite an obscure car. No brand or anything, so I’m not quite sure what to expect from this white wedge decked out for an off road adventure. I’m quite intrigued.
Looking closely, I see all around quality, so whoever made this car clearly knew a thing or two about proper engineering. The AHS steel seems a bit strange for a modern supercar, as do the hard tires of a higher profile than expected, but I’ll have to decide on these things after driving it. The engine is a 6L naturally aspirated V12, going against the trend of turbos from the previous cars. It makes a decent 572 hp and 430 ft-lb of torque, which is not excessive and what can be expected of natural aspiration. The quality is good but not superb.
Inside, I find myself in a comfortable hand made interior with luxury electronics of a high quality. Shame the hand made aspects are quite average. The comfort level is great and so is the drivability. I can definitely see myself driving this comfortably for long distances. I notice a strange dial on the dashboard of this car: it has a manual locker. Suddenly I realise why it was decked out in off road gear, has a steel frame and hard tires… this car can properly drive on all surfaces. The ground clearance is nothing special, but I could easily drive this in the winter without any worries. The dirt road to the track is worth it with this car; the manual locker and the tires designed for all seasons make it a joy to drive off the paved roads.
Once at the track, the downsides to this car appear. It’s not as agile as any of the cars I’ve tested so far, even less so than the huge sedan, but such is the compromise for the proper soft roading capabilities. The 0-100 km/h is still fairly good, and the top speed of 337 km/h is nice. The 2:15.78 is the slowest track time yet, as this car does not quite have the same thrills on the track.
Final verdict: Finally a mid engine supercar that can be practically driven. I do like the uniquely rugged styling and the feeling of this being a one-off creation. At $105,400, I feel that more quality in some parts would have made it stand out more for me. This isn’t your Italian cousin’s supercar.

##@titleguy1 Rennen Kusanagi R

Next on my list is the Rennen Kusanagi R, and based on looks alone I can say that this is a true supercar. Definitely what I was looking for in terms of design, as it looks both fast and prestigious.
Looking it over closely, the quality is good and though not to the level of others it is still above average. The wheels, as wide as they are, seem to be of very average quality, but I could get those changed with a better set. Under the hood lurks a 5L twin-turbo V12 producing 544 hp and 561 ft-lb of torque. This is less than I would expect considering the quality of the engine, so hopefully it turns out to be enough for such a large car.
Getting inside, I’m rather shocked by the interior, and not in a good way. While everything is of high quality, it doesn’t feel to be much more than your typical premium sedan. What is an affront to my tastes is the standard CD player that seems to have come directly from a Toyota. Where’s the prestige here? The comfort levels are not that good considering the spartan luxury in the design. At least the suspension is well done so there’s not as much need to compensate for a rough ride. There isn’t much to be said about the drive, it could easily be driven daily and it getting 22 mpg is certainly a plus.
On the track, the performance does not quite live up to its design. 0-100 takes 3.3 seconds and the top speed is just over 329 km/h. It rounds the track in 2:08.18, so it isn’t quite all that fast, I certainly expected more out of this car based on its design. While I found the power level to appear low at first, they’re fairly adequate as the car weighs in under 1700 kg. It could still do with more power to really put it on par with its design.
Final verdict: The exterior looks great, but the interior is too low class for my tastes while the performance just doesn’t quite live up to what I expected at first glance. At $102,200 it’s a bargain, but too much was compromised in order to achieve such a low price. All show and no go.

##@rcracer11m Mako

Here is another obscure car, the Mako, and I almost missed this tiny one hiding behind the large Rennen. I want to say the design is a but much, but it just seems to work somehow and I quite like it. I have another tight cabin on the way…
My closer examination shows that most of the exterior is simply average with good fixtures, while the suspension and brakes are also average. I do like the active suspension, as hesitant as I am about its quality. I was once again slightly surprised by the front engine, even moreso by the wing on the hood. Underneath I find a 3L twin-turbo V8 producing 550 hp and 370 ft-lb of torque. For such a small engine, it’s got a lot of power. Quality is excellent except for the average turbo and exhaust systems.
While I expected the cramped cabin, I was thoroughly disappointed by what I found inside. Everything is of average quality, and premium at best with only standard electronics. This is not what I want. Standard electronics might be okay in a track car, but not the kind of supercar I want. Comfort is very average and there’s no prestige to be found in here. I expect a lot more from a supercar. The drivability is good and the car feels quite nimble, but more than I would expect for its size. It seems the main advantage of the lackluster interior is the low weight, just below 1250 kg, which certainly helps for it to achieve 25 mpg. I do fear coming across a transport truck in such a small and light car, especially considering the lack of quality in the safety features.
I manage to get to the track after only breaking into a cold sweat once, and the specs don’t impress me too much for this as well. 0-100 in a quick 2.9 seconds but a top speed just over 322 km/h, just barely over the minimum I set for these cars. Around the track, I’m thoroughly impressed and have to say I’m eating my words a bit. Where this car does not shine with sheer speed and power, it does so with its agility, lapping it in 2:01.19. I’m quite impressed with the cornering and felt close to the action in a way only possible with a small car.
Final verdict: As much as I like the design and agility of the car, it’s too much of a lightweight driver’s car. At $150,000 it feels like a rich man’s Lotus Exige and that’s just not what I’m looking for in a supercar. Like a light beer, it’s just not enough for me.

##@abg7 Harris SCR4 Twin Turbo

Seeing this next car, the first thing in my head was the classic Trooper song “The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car” and this is not necessarily a bad thing. The simple design might seem a bit understated but I find it helps for appreciating the smooth curves of the body.
The quality is good all over, which is pleasing, though the suspension system is rather basic. Under the hood there is a 4L twin-turbo V8 producing 642 hp and 508 ft-lb of torque. Pretty standard fare for the cars I’ve seen so far today. The quality is quite nice, so no complaints with the engine.
In the cabin, I find a good quality premium interior. It’s nothing really special, but I can’t quite fault it either. Comfort is fairly average from it, not really bad, but not really good either. These premium interiors don’t quite have the prestige I want, even with good quality. The highway drive and the dirt road are also quite alright with this car, nothing special but a more high tech suspension system would improve it. At just under 1600 kg, the weight is more on the low end for the cars and it certainly helps the SCR4’s agility.
At the track, I’m feeling pretty neutral about this car, as it’s been very average thus far. 0-100 in a quick 2.8 seconds with a top speed of 332 km/h, which again seems very average. I manage a 2:03.58 around the track, which is better than I expected and can certainly be attributed to the agility of the low weight design.
Final verdict: There really isn’t much to say about this car, either good or bad. It feels balanced and inoffensive, neither particularly good or bad in any way. With a $113,000 price tag, more of the budget could have been used to make it stand out from the pack. If there’s a Toyota Camry of supercars, this is it.

##@Asdren Revera GTP 73

Now this is an amazingly modern looking machine, I’d almost think it was a concept for a 2010 car. This is the kind of looks I would love to show off. It looks lean and mean while exhuding class, much like a supervillain in a tuxedo. The hood doesn’t appear to fit too well over the engine, however.
Under the breathtaking design lurks quality issues, as the whole body is quite average, as are most of the components, with only a few being good. The suspension is very much one of the good parts. In the engine bay I find a 7.3L naturally aspirated V12 producing 758 hp and 568 ft-lb of torque. Now we’re in business. It’s all quite solid in the quality department as well, so clearly the best Asdren engineers are the ones designing the engines.
In the cabin, I’m initially impressed by the hand made design… until I spot the standard CD player from your average family car. Why? Why is this even here? It’s 2006! When spending over $100,000 on a luxury vehicle I expect a navigation system and high end electronics. I can’t show that off. The quality of the interior also turns out to be average, which is rather disappointing. Driving this car is quite uneventful, though I’m not entirely comfortable in no small part due to the stereo. It really does drive well and is in line with what I expect from a daily driver in that regard.
At the track, it’s time to put this one through its paces as well. 0-100 is done in 3.1 seconds and the top speed is 352 km/h, all perfectly acceptable from a naturally aspirated engine. I round the track in 2:04.27. Quite good, nothing more and nothing less. The high speed handling is quite good for such a large car.
Final verdict: Another amazing looking machine that leaves me disappointed with its interior and quality. It’s overall a good car to drive but not much of a standout, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I certainly would have expected more for $159,400. If only it lived up to my first impression.

##@koolkei Komodo Serba

This sedan seems straight out of a science fiction movie, and I like it. It’s not quite the class I had in mind, but I still can’t fault it, especially with the very modern LED lights. I do hope it appeals to me more than the previous large, all-aluminium sedan I tested. Odd how similar these two are at first glance…
I find that the quality ranges from good to excellent, and that leaves me satisfied. I can’t help but constantly compare it to the Bogliq, mainly due to the rarity of super sedans. Under the hood I find the heart of this machine: a 7.9L twin-turbo V12 producing 1032 hp and 883 ft-lb of torque. Bordering on ludicrous, but I’m sure it’s mostly required for such a large car weighing over 2 tonnes. Like the exterior, the quality ranges from good to excellent.
The interior impresses me just as the exterior did, with good quality luxury designs and electronics. The result is a comfortable and spacious cabin that would suit me well on long drives. The car drives quite well and I’m rather suprised that I don’t feel much of its weight on the regular drive. The ground clearance being higher than most coupes is also a bonus for dirt roads and winter driving. I hope this means that it does well being thrashed around the track as well. I also need to note the 19 mpg. While it’s not as good as some of the other cars, it’s more than I expect from a large super sedan.
After reaching the track in comfort, I’m excited to see what this sedan can do. 0-100 in 3.1 seconds and a top speed of 370 km/h. The Bogliq was the fastest sedan I took on the track until this moment. 2:01.35 is certainly an impressive time, especially for such a large car.
Final verdict: The Serba is a sedan that can put a lot of supercars in their place. I find no faults with it and it is certainly one of the better cars I’ve driven today. I feel that the price of $159,400 is entirely justified and that the engineers made the most of it. This is what a super sedan should be.

##@DoctorNarfy Nickel 7000GCC

The next car is a hardtop convertible. Nice. The design is a bit unconventional, but I like it. It looks very modern and is one of the cars that could be mistaken for some kind of concept. I’m excited for a drive with the top down, it will certainly help this car feel prestigious.
An AHS steel frame and aluminium body is certainly an odd choice for a supercar, so I wonder what this might have in store. My inspection of it all leaves me disappointed, as the quality is average for most and good for only the brakes, aero features, and suspension. The environmental resistance is also low. Under the hood lies a 7L twin-turbo V12 producing 680 hp and 705 ft-lb of torque from fairly good quality components. The overall reliability of the car is also quite low, lower than what I requested. That certainly leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
I climb into the car and I’m astonished at the quality of the interior. Hand made with luxury electronics of the highest quality, truly music to my ears. The safety features, however, appear to have been taken out of a budget vehicle. Suddenly I don’t feel quite as safe in here… It’s probably better for me to drive with the top up, just in case. Carefully heading out onto the highway, I realise this is a heavy car, but the drivability is good and I manage to forget my safety concerns due to the comfort of it all. I feel like I could drive this all day and not feel the need to stop and rest. Turning onto the dirt road, I hear a disconcerting scraping sound. It seems the suspension is bottoming out, so this car is certainly not meant to be driven off the pavement. Or during winter. That’s really a shame.
I manage to get to the track by driving slowly and carefully to avoid too much damage to the underbody. I’m surprised that this car isn’t better here, considering its faults, as 0-100 takes 3.1 seconds and the top speed is 356 km/h. I round the track in 2:12.96, a rather slow time.
Final verdict: This is not what I’m looking for, and at $164,200, it’s over my budget without good reason for it. There are faults in the quality, reliability, suspension height, environmental resistance, and safety. The only standout aspect is the interior, and I feel that that’s where most of the effort was placed for this car. I don’t know how this one managed to sneak in.

5 Likes