The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Smooth Saabro X

What a perfect daily company car should be like. Let me talk you through.

• Underestimated but classy. It’s supposed to be a statement. Retaining classic lines with modern approach and technology.
  • Reliable but not boring. FR with a diff, so rainy roundabout skids from tough day at work are possible.
  • Reasonably quick but economical. We bet 6.2s to 100kph is enough. Especially with 7 l/100km.
  • Supportive seats (because we value our backs) but no sticky leather (hence the negative slider)
  • Elastic engine, sleek manual and balanced chassis. Because driving should always be a pleasure.

Disclamers:
I think game is slightly unfair to my comfort figure. I bet it would drive better.
That sunroof is optional yes
Yeah…It’s what a Saab should be.
Oh and that little bonnet badge…its side shape matches perfectly with side shape of headlights…just saying.

9 Likes

My “plan B” car (which I will only submit if I am absolutely certain that I cannot develop a satisfactory replacement for Mephisto) is very simple mechanically (manual gearbox, mechanical LSD, passive springs, dampers and sway bars) yet is quite safe, sporty, reliable, comfortable, affordable and drivable. Plus it has plenty of road presence, particularly in bright red. On top of that, its turbo straight-six engine can be tuned to deliver more than the stock 320-odd bhp.

In short, I used the Ford Falcon BA XR6 Turbo as a reference point for my proposed replacement for Toothless, but ended up with something which had two fewer doors, was lighter, more efficient, and, despite its simple tech, better to drive. However, my decision to submit it is by no means final as of now, and may be influenced by future events.

@AirJordan managed to build something which looks like a Saab, but actually isn’t one due to being RWD. But will his decision to submit what is essentially a restomod (older body with newer mechanicals) pay off, particularly when he has gone for negative interior quality, which I wouldn’t countenance in my designs?

right, time to fully unveil my attempt: the JHW Gulfstream

this car may look like a prestigious saloon that would cost $40,000 or so, right? wrong!

this car is a driving machine with looks to kill. it runs a 2.1 I4 with 216bhp going to a AWD system, so you can drive it as hard as you want, without fear of killing yourself. 0-60 is dealt with in 7.0 seconds and goes on to 151mph all whilst achieving 38mpg.

it has a stripped back interior, without sacrificing comfort or a good ICE setup.

this could be yours for just $26,450.

2 Likes

Surprisingly, my proposed entry could cost even less, yet would look, drive and feel like something far more expensive, with plenty of panache inside and out for the expected price.

Okay, enough talking out of you. Where’s this amazing car!?

1 Like

Ok, I don’t want to say your cars aren’t sexy… but they will be vandalize by Strop’s alter ego :rolling_eyes:

Hahahaha! I will be upset if that wonderful car of yours @abg7 doesn’t deliver!

It is with great regret that I am unable to permanently replace Mephisto due to the extreme cost of such a project, even though it would be an extremely tempting proposition for Kai.

However, as a direct result of my inability to give Kai the new hypercar that he clearly deserves, I have chosen to replace Toothless with something that is… not so toothless. I propose that he use a 2016 Kramer K4 Coupe 3.0 as a daily driver instead.

The K4 Coupe looks like a muscle car, and is in fact rear-wheel-drive, but patently isn’t one. For starters, it actually relishes corners as much as straight lines thanks to its well-sorted all-independent suspension at each corner, and stops on a dime courtesy of vented discs front and rear. It is still quite quick off the mark, though, with enough grunt for Kai to have serious fun. Fuel economy of 9.57 L/100 km is surprisingly good for such a big car.

The drivetrain and suspension incorporate no fancy electronic components, since Kai, or any enthusiast worth their salt for that matter, is expected to have an easy time tinkering with them. In addition, the rear wing is not active, but is manually adjustable, again to save cost and minimize complexity. A premium interior and infotainment suite ensure decent levels of comfort for a daily driver. We haven’t forgotten about involvement, though; the example seen here is equipped with a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission for improved acceleration.

The 3.0 trim level is powered by a turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six (codenamed ANB3) running on 95 RON unleaded and developing just over 320 bhp at 6900 rpm - well before its 7500-rpm redline. In stock form, the engine is tuned for a surprisingly effective blend of power and efficiency, with plenty of torque low down in the rev range. Tuning options include enlarged turbochargers, reinforced titanium conrods and billet steel crank, aggressive cam profiles, and an extended redline, although none of these have been installed on this stock version. It is also possible to increase the level of boost, but this would require such measures as reducing the compression ratio, using more conservative ignition timing, enriching the air/fuel mixture and increasing the cooling capacity, just to preserve the engine’s reliability. Nevertheless, despite it almost being as long as its engine bay will allow, the ANB3 engine is quite easy to work on.

It is expected that this car will cost $22,500 including markups (although some dealers may increase the markup to 20% from the usual 10%), and even though all quality sliders (except for interior, entertainment, and safety) have been set to 0, the strong reliability record of this car means it will last a lifetime, and will in fact most likely outlive Kai - or anyone who buys it, for that matter. Go on, you know you want one!

@Sillyworld wants me to submit a really tempting option for Kai when considering a new daily driver… I may just have created a legitimate contender, at the very least.

2 Likes

Shit. I don’t think I’m qualified for this crap. I’ve built a car I know @strop will like, but I don’t think it meets the regs. rofl

Well, the regs are mainly for road legality so the basic ones need to be met.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are they?

This lot are the strict regs. Everything else is a guide and is up to your own discretion.

Note, I’m in the process of getting Kai’s opinion from the proverbial horse’s mouth. Suffice to say I was off the mark slightly. Expect updated opinions shortly.

@strop, just to clarify: My car was built in the current stable release, and although Kramer sounds like an American brand, it is actually German, which works in Kai’s favor. He would seldom buy American iron (especially muscle cars) without a very good reason, after all.

Is that a question, or are you attempting to tell me what I think?

To be absolutely clear, it would be unfair of me to discriminate based on nationality alone. It doesn’t matter if your car is German or Australian or Moldovan, if it feels like Kai’s perception of American (i.e. overweight and unbalanced with vague steering), he’ll hate it. That’s why he likes the Shelby Cobra: it’s not like the Challenger or the Charger or the original Stingray or the Shelby GT500 or any of those dragstrip boats.

Please note that I’ve updated the opinions in Appendix C. Some of them have changed slightly, I apologise greatly. Fortunately, so far, looking at the entries I can safely say this has affected precisely none of you. Hint: stay away from perfectly round, bug-eyed headlights. He doesn’t like those. And car faces get the treatment.

for clarifications sake, which does the steam version fall under, stable or OB?

Depends what setting you have in the Steam properties of the game under Beta.

1 Like

Ty @TR8R, am in stable

I deliberately tuned my car not to feel like most American classics, and no, its headlights are not perfect circles. And yes, I am currently using the stable release (build 160420).

How the heck does that car weigh more than mine, despite my luxury interior and AWD?

Your car has a glued aluminum chassis, which is a limited production item, whereas an AHS steel chassis (as used on my car) isn’t.

1 Like

Ah. I wasn’t worried about my car being limited production. Lighter weight means decent gas mileage and a capability of better handling.